PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney Statement Regarding Player Conduct

Petesburgh66
03-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dan Rooney Statement Regarding His Comments About Player Conduct

To clarify the comments made earlier regarding the conduct of our players, in no way do we condone domestic violence of any kind. Each incident must be considered on a case-by-case basis.

In the situation with James Harrison, he contacted us immediately after his incident and has taken responsibility for his actions.

In today’s decision with Cedrick Wilson, we determined the situation was severe enough to warrant the player being released immediately.

We trust that today’s roster move will indicate our intentions and send a message that we will not tolerate this type of conduct.

http://news.steelers.com/article/87807/

Hopefully, the message is loud and clear to the rest. Enough of this crap.

NJarhead
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Good enough for me.

klick81
03-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Alright...let's move on. I can't wait for the season to start.

Hapa
03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Alright...let's move on. I can't wait for the season to start.

Same here man. Hate this drama,

Galax Steeler
03-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Well said thanks dan.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 12:51 PM
It is good to see that cover-your-ass style PR fixed comments, after the fact, still have enough power to dupe the willingly duped into ignoring an issue and recategorizing it as a non-issue.

Steelers: "Hey, we condoned Harrison's actions but we then said we didn't and pretended it was different...so please believe us"

Steelers Nation: "Baaaahhhhh, whatever you say Dan, bbbaaaahhhhhhhh."

Crushzilla
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
It is good to see that cover-your-ass style PR fixed comments, after the fact, still have enough power to dupe the willingly duped into ignoring an issue and recategorizing it as a non-issue.

Steelers: "Hey, we condoned Harrison's actions but we then said we didn't and pretended it was different...so please believe us"

Wow, I love all inclusive statements. EVERYONE in Steelers Nation LOVES this decision. In fact, we're all going to go out and start beating our wives and our neighbor's wives.

You need to deal with it already, bud.

If you have such a problem with the way they run their business, do what Michael Keller suggested and send them a letter. You'd get a lot farther than playing message board crusader responding to all of the posts that you can handle.

Lord Stiller
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
:blah:are people gonna come here and cry about the Rooney's? :blah::blah:

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow, I love all inclusive statements. EVERYONE in Steelers Nation LOVES this decision. In fact, we're all going to go out and start beating our wives and our neighbor's wives.

You need to deal with it already, bud.

If you have such a problem with the way they run their business, do what Michael Keller suggested and send them a letter. You'd get a lot farther than playing message board crusader responding to all of the posts that you can handle.

Oh, I apologize for expressing my opinion in the form of replies and comments on a message board. I'll be sure to ask you next time if I can comment on something and exactly how I should comment.

Crushzilla
03-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, I apologize for expressing my opinion in the form of replies and comments on a message board. I'll be sure to ask you next time if I can comment on something and exactly how I should comment.

No, I'm alright with people expressing their opinions, but your argument is leading to sweeping generalizations.

Keep believing that everything in this world is black and white. Am I happy that these things aren't as easy as they should be? Nope. But the argument is turning into a long series of Non Sequitur fallacies defended with scenarios that have no bearing on the situation at hand.

I'm taking this for what it is, and your red herring sarcasm just proves that you have no interest looking at any other means of conveyance, and especially aren't interested in any other possible interpretation of the situation.

Me? Personally? I enjoy my asshat, it keeps me warm in the winter.

Steelerfreak58
03-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Hmm must be a Browns fan.:chicken:

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Rooney is managing for a reason he knows what hes doing

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Rooney is managing for a reason he knows what hes doing

Profound.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Harrison issue: He goes to take his son to get baptized. The woman, who probally agreed to it at an earlier point in time, decides to change her mind at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE. Harrison flips out and smacks her. He leaves before it gets any worse, admits that he indeed did the action, and shows remorse. This is also the first reported issue Harrison has had with domestic violence since about his high school days...and his first reported negative altercation with this woman. This also happened in a private residence with no witnesses but Harrison and the woman.

Wilson issue: There was an issue he had with this woman earlier this year. That time, he walked away and she supposedly attempted to kill herself with his gun. We don't know what caused the first incident and it looked like Wilson was the victim in it. This is a second incident involving Wilson and this woman. It appears that he entered this resturant with the intent of harming this woman. He shoves her and PUNCHES her in the face. Plus, he did this in public with a plethora of people to see it.

I would say those are some big differneces...especially since this is WIlson's second altercation with this woman and he had all the intent of hitting her.

I would say that the immediate release of Wilson was warranted. I would say that Dan Rooney has every right to treat each case individually, since each person is an individual. I would also say that if Harrison ever does anything like he did again, he would be released immediatly.

Oh yeah, and the statement by Dan Rooney is also much better than saying "the police are profiling my players, it's not the player's fault it's the environment they grew up in." Dan Rooney has come out and said it will not be condoned. He also made a bigger statment by cutting Wilson, who with this becomes a repeat problem.

The Bengals have yet to come out and say they don't condone the unlawful actions of their unruly players. They also haven't gone to the extremes of immediatly cutting the repeat offender players after their second incident (or thrid, or fourth, etc....Chris Henrry).

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Harrison issue: He goes to take his son to get baptized. The woman, who probally agreed to it at an earlier point in time, decides to change her mind at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE. Harrison flips out and smacks her. He leaves before it gets any worse, admits that he indeed did the action, and shows remorse. This is also the first reported issue Harrison has had with domestic violence since about his high school days...and his first reported negative altercation with this woman. This also happened in a private residence with no witnesses but Harrison and the woman.

Do you make it a habit to just make up the areas of a story that you don't know?

Phew, I am glad he hit OTHER women before and not this PARTICULAR woman.

I mean, you gotta hit a boitch a few times before it counts, right?

I mean, you can't serioulsy rewrite your own versions of each case, skewing it to lend to your to meet your opinion, and then feel like other people are actually supposed to take you serioulsy? Or do you? Why don't you make it even easier, make Harrisons girl a crack addict with a box cutter in her hand.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Do you make it a habit to just make up the areas of a story that you don't know?

Phew, I am glad he hit OTHER women before and not this PARTICULAR woman.

I mean, you gotta hit a boitch a few times before it counts, right?

I mean, you can't serioulsy rewrite your own versions of each case, skewing it to lend to your to meet your opinion, and then feel like other people are actually supposed to take you serioulsy? Or do you? Why don't you make it even easier, make Harrisons girl a crack addict with a box cutter in her hand.

What did I make up? There are no reported incidents between Harrison and the mother of his son. Unless you follow Harrison around and substantiate proof that he did indeed hit her before, and that it's been reported to police...then it is safe to assume this was the first time that he has ever struck her.

The comment I made about an incident from about his High School days...he shot another teammate in the football team's locker room...which sounds like a hazing incident. He wasn't expelled from school for it, and nothing has happened that has been reported since that incident.

Seeing how there has been nothing reported since that high school incident, I would have to assume that he had kept his nose clean until this most recent incident.

You sound like a troll, which one are you...a Browns, Bengals, or Ravens fan?

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
What did I make up? There are no reported incidents between Harrison and the mother of his son. Unless you follow Harrison around and substantiate proof that he did indeed hit her before, and that it's been reported to police...then it is safe to assume this was the first time that he has ever struck her.

The comment I made about an incident from about his High School days...he shot another teammate in the football team's locker room...which sounds like a hazing incident. He wasn't expelled from school for it, and nothing has happened that has been reported since that incident.

Seeing how there has been nothing reported since that high school incident, I would have to assume that he had kept his nose clean until this most recent incident.

You sound like a troll, which one are you...a Browns, Bengals, or Ravens fan?

What you made up was the tone of each incident. Wilson stalked like a predator....poor doe-eyed Harrison put his halo on and went to his girl's house and she changed his plans at the very last minute...mmmuuuhhhhhahahahahaha.

Both should face the same punishment.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM

and some of us disagree with that and beleive that each case should be tried and decided upon individually.

The Rooney's have decided that one incident was worse than the other. They have determined with interviews I'm sure and reviews of the Police Reports that the Wilson situation was worse, and warranted immediate termination.

They also determined that Harrison could be "re-habbed" and given a 2nd chance.

I agree with the Rooney's on this assessment.

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
In the real world celebrity's get away with stuff we dont, just like harrison will and ced wont get over it.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-22-2008, 05:07 PM
What you made up was the tone of each incident. Wilson stalked like a predator....poor doe-eyed Harrison put his halo on and went to his girl's house and she changed his plans at the very last minute...mmmuuuhhhhhahahahahaha.

I made up the tone?

What I read:

Harrison goes to pick up his son for a baptism. Maybe you have never been involved with a baptism, but it requires planning. Therefore, the mother of the child must have known Harrison's plans prior to his coming to pick up his son. He gets there, she says it isn't happening after agreeing to it at an earlier point, and he goes off.

Wilson walked into the resturant and attacked his ex-girlfriend. The reports said that he walked in and went right up to her. Wasn't sitting at a table or ordering food to go.

Tell me, what did I make up?

Jeremy
03-22-2008, 05:12 PM

I starting to wish both of them had hit you instead.

fansince'76
03-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Harrison goes to pick up his son for a baptism. Maybe you have never been involved with a baptism, but it requires planning. Therefore, the mother of the child must have known Harrison's plans prior to his coming to pick up his son. He gets there, she says it isn't happening after agreeing to it at an earlier point, and he goes off.

Which still doesn't excuse what he did.

Jeremy
03-22-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't think anyone is saying it should be excused. If they are, they're wrong. I simply think that when you put the two situations side by side, one of them looks much worse than the other.

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2008, 05:25 PM
as near as i can see....one was premeditated, the other was not. the law even has different penaltize for premeditated situations, compared to spontanious reactions.

Boomerang
03-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Harrisons situation came to him rather than the other way round,the cases are totally different.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
The situation is what it is. Cedric Wilson got a second chance and blew it. he's gone. From what we know this is Harrison's first major issue. If they called him in and let him know that strike two means he's out like they have done in the past it at least sets up the guidelines.

I may not agree, but it isn't my place to make decisions for the organization. Over the years the Steelers have conducted themselves like a class organization. You just have to trust that they will continue to do so.

tony hipchest
03-22-2008, 08:29 PM
The situation is what it is. Cedric Wilson got a second chance and blew it. he's gone. From what we know this is Harrison's first major issue. If they called him in and let him know that strike two means he's out like they have done in the past it at least sets up the guidelines.

I may not agree, but it isn't my place to make decisions for the organization. Over the years the Steelers have conducted themselves like a class organization. You just have to trust that they will continue to do so.i couldnt agree more. about sums it up.

Originally Posted by fansince'76

i dont know.... anyone know if it was a Catholic baptism?

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
03-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Is that you, Mark Madden/ Disgrace #1, 2 and 3?

rbryan
03-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Is that you, Mark Madden/ Disgrace #1, 2 and 3?

No thats stinky B, long time Steeler fan from Greentree :rofl:

Preacher
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
JEREMY................

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-peep-show-easter-candy.jpg

IS A HILARIOUS PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Harrisons situation came to him rather than the other way round,the cases are totally different.

Riiiiighto. He goes to his g/f's house reportedly to take his son to be baptized, frightens his g/f enough that she barricades herself inside of the bathroom (or bedroom - I've heard both stories) so she can call 911 for help, busts the door down, breaks her cell phone and slaps her across the face. How is that "Harrison's situation coming to him"? :dang:

We aren't going to know the entire story until after Harrison's prelim hearing on April 3rd. Until I get the real skinny on what happened, I'm going to stick with my opinion that the two incidents should be viewed in the same light - both were acts of aggression - and should therefore be handled in the same manner.

Jeremy
03-22-2008, 10:44 PM
JEREMY................

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-peep-show-easter-candy.jpg

IS A HILARIOUS PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Preacher
03-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Riiiiighto. He goes to his g/f's house reportedly to take his son to be baptized, frightens his g/f enough that she barricades herself inside of the bathroom (or bedroom - I've heard both stories) so she can call 911 for help, busts the door down, breaks her cell phone and slaps her across the face. How is that "Harrison's situation coming to him"? :dang:

We aren't going to know the entire story until after Harrison's prelim hearing on April 3rd. Until I get the real skinny on what happened, I'm going to stick with my opinion that the two incidents should be viewed in the same light - both were acts of aggression - and should therefore be handled in the same manner.

I think I undestand what he is saying HTG... Let me take a shot at this..

I think what is being argued here is that when a person goes LOOKING for someone else to physically assault, there is absolutely premeditation. When a person shows up and a situation blows up, there is no premeditation.. He was caught up in the argument .

it sure doesn't excused him. Is there a difference however? I would think so. BUt i still want to see both of them gone.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Ok so if it comes out that james did all of this and he is this abusive and such, will we drop him, trade him or should we? I am almost sure Rooney will find a reason to keep him and say something that will make him look bad.

nicesteel4life
03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I believe there two diffrent situations. PERIOD! Cause the Rooneys said so!

Wilson is GONE!
Harrison is still here!
Both did Wrong! PERIOD!

Everybody makes Mistakes, EVERYBODY!
and if you dont your a LIAR!

I truly believe Harrisons was a Mistake, Heat of the moment!
I truly believe Cedricks was INTENTIONAL, POW in a public establishment!

SteelCityMan786
03-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I believe there two diffrent situations. PERIOD! Cause the Rooneys said so!

Wilson is GONE!
Harrison is still here!
Both did Wrong! PERIOD!

Everybody makes Mistakes, EVERYBODY!
and if you dont your a LIAR!

I truly believe Harrisons was a Mistake, Heat of the moment!
I truly believe Cedricks was INTENTIONAL, POW in a public establishment!

Summed it up pretty nicely right there. :cheers:

Boomerang
03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I think I undestand what he is saying HTG... Let me take a shot at this..

I think what is being argued here is that when a person goes LOOKING for someone else to physically assault, there is absolutely premeditation. When a person shows up and a situation blows up, there is no premeditation.. He was caught up in the argument .

it sure doesn't excused him. Is there a difference however? I would think so. BUt i still want to see both of them gone.

You summed it well Preacher,Harrison reacted(wrongly) to a bitter disappoint that his g/f had changede her mind and denied him access to his son for his baptism.He reacted rather than intentionally chose his aggerssion. He was wrong but i,d like him to stay a Steeler.

Preacher
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
You summed it well Preacher,Harrison reacted(wrongly) to a bitter disappoint that his g/f had changede her mind and denied him access to his son for his baptism.He reacted rather than intentionally chose his aggerssion. He was wrong but i,d like him to stay a Steeler.

Personally, I wanted him gone.

4 game suspension is acceptable . . . however, I want to see him continue on the same trajectory he has been on. Seeking help, forgiveness, and making sure that nothing else would happen.

Boomerang
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Personally, I wanted him gone.

4 game suspension is acceptable . . . however, I want to see him continue on the same trajectory he has been on. Seeking help, forgiveness, and making sure that nothing else would happen.

Agree about the seeking help to control is aggression and disagree about him going;)

nicesteel4life
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Preacher I usually agree with ya!
But this time you need to come down off the pulpet.
I agree a wrong was done! But GOD FORGIVES!
So should all of us....because none of us are above him!

Harrison is not going to BURN in HELL over 1 mistake or were all in trouble! 2 Maybe!

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Honestly I don't know what is worse ...

-James Harrison being cut
-losing a pro-bowler
-OLB become an IMMEDIATE need (which would bring Q. Groves to the top of our board)

OR

-Hearing people b*tch about the unfair business of the NFL (OMG!!!, a cheap GOOD player who is a probowler gets to stay ... and a BAD, overpaid, player, gets cut)

isn't it obvious that it's some bullshat that Harrison stays and Wilson leaves?

who wants to get over it?

bump.

The_WARDen
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
and some of us disagree with that and beleive that each case should be tried and decided upon individually.

The Rooney's have decided that one incident was worse than the other. They have determined with interviews I'm sure and reviews of the Police Reports that the Wilson situation was worse, and warranted immediate termination.

They also determined that Harrison could be "re-habbed" and given a 2nd chance.

I agree with the Rooney's on this assessment.

Not that I'm siding with the troll...but I think it's as simple as:

A) Harrison is a pro bowler and a big part of the team.
B) Wilson is a marginal player and won't be missed.

It doesn't really get more complicated than that.