PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Ben out 1-2 weeks

Suitanim
11-03-2005, 08:50 AM
PPG was fast...Cowher's press conference announcing this doesn't start for 10 minutes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05307/600100.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/includes/images/blank.gif Roethlisberger to have knee surgery; out 1-2 weeks

Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have arthroscopic surgery to repair damaged cartilage in his right knee and will miss Sunday's game in Green Bay and possibly the Nov. 13 home game against the Cleveland Browns.

However, Roethlisberger should be ready to return when the Steelers play in Baltimore Nov. 20, if not sooner. Charlie Batch, who has been elevated to the No. 2 position, will be the starting quarterback. The Steelers have called a news conference for this morning to discuss the injury. Roethlisberger was injured on the first series of Monday night's 20-19 victory against the Baltimore Ravens but remained in the game. He was diagnosed with a posterior capsule strain, which includes damage to ligaments.

Tim
11-03-2005, 08:57 AM
*sigh*

Figures. The first Steeler game I get to go see in 10+ years and I get to see our #2 QB. Bummer. Total bummer.

Ah well, this would be the time to get this taken care of.

Suitanim
11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I still think we'll be fine. Batch can't play woprse than Tommy, and we are a superior team to the Packers in every other aspect of the game.

Then we play the Browns...no worries.

pitt
11-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Like Batch said. He has experience playing at the Greenbay stadium. I just wish I could remember him winning there.

Suitanim
11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
More news. Duce will be playing Sunday since Bettis is Questionable. The 3rd QB is ARE.

Steel - X
11-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I smell 600 carries from the backs this week against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

Tim
11-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Heh.. it's starting to feel like a pre-season game. Where's Nate Washington? ;)

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Good thing Steelers pulled out the Monday nite game - if the announcements on Ben and Bettis had been made after a loss giving away the Ravens game I would be more upset than after the Jax mess.

Any word on when Bettis got hurt? He looked fine on the 11 yard run prior to the winnning FG.

Time for the D to carry the team for a few weeks and for Duce to get some carries against two bad teams the next two weeks.

After reading Bouchette's story online in the P-G this morning, I actually am relieved (of course not glad) that the future of the franchise is being sat down for a few weeks, both for this season and Ben's health in years to come.

Finally, the chunks of turf on helmets appeared to indicate field was its typical midseason mess on Monday nite, with the worst to come after Pitt and the WPIAL playoffs chew it up some more this month. I know injuries can happen anytime and anywhere, but losing two backs to knee injuries on that bog makes me wonder if something else needs to be done to fix one of the worst fields in the NFL.

Grey
11-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Fair enough.

It's the best two game stretch of the remaining schedule for this to happen, and Ben should be able to give closer to 100% after the recovery.

He was clearly uncomfortable after that first series on Monday. He lacked the mobility that makes him special, and I think that put a hit on his confidence level for the game. Still, he was strong willed and strong bodied enough to play a winning game.

I'd rathr see him out for a couple games, then have him come back strong, than to limp through the rest of the schedule and into the playoffs.

Come on Charlie Batch, make it happen.

Here we go.
Grey

tony hipchest
11-03-2005, 11:13 AM
*sigh*

Figures. The first Steeler game I get to go see in 10+ years and I get to see our #2 QB. Bummer. Total bummer.

ist game in 10 yrs? man that sucks. i guess it is like going to a nascar race for the 1st time and watching your 2 favorite drivers wreck in the 1st 10 laps. hopefully the defense keeps it entertaining.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Get well soon, Ben. Kick some ass Charlie, I'm behind you all the way. Duce, you better pro-duce this Sunday or all my faith in you will be gone for good. At least Fast Willie should have an amazing day.

BB2W
11-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I heard this on ESPN radio this morning... today sucks!!! :pissed:

Lyn
11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I have ZERO confidence in Batch but .........maybe he will surprise us. Every time his name is mentioned all I see is him lying on the field in Detriot, LOL he was horizontal most of the time LOL. But let's give the guy a chance he did pretty well during training camp.

I know how you feel not seeing Ben play in person, same thing happened to me on the 16th with the Maddox fiasco.

Prosdo
11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Disappointing news. I do think Ben picked a pretty good time to miss though. Hopefully he will be back soon and ready to go. Lead us to some wins Charlie!!!

AvoidLLoyd95
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I have ZERO confidence in Batch but .........maybe he will surprise us. Every time his name is mentioned all I see is him lying on the field in Detriot, LOL he was horizontal most of the time LOL. But let's give the guy a chance he did pretty well during training camp.

I know how you feel not seeing Ben play in person, same thing happened to me on the 16th with the Maddox fiasco.

Remember, Charlie never had too good of a line to work behind in his years there, and no receivers to throw to but Edwards. He'll be allright.

Va_steeler
11-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Well lets hope Batch steps up! Looks like its up to the defence to really win this 1!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2005, 01:32 PM
If this was going to happen, now is the best time.. we have 2 games coming up against teams that we can beat without Ben if we play the way we are capable of. Run the ball, play great defense, and let charlie do his thing. Batch can do it, and liek suit said, he cant be any worse than Tommy played!

We'll be ok!!

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I played against Charlie Batch in high school. He went to Steel Valley and was the backup. He started in the championship game at 3 rivers stadium and he whooped our asses. Hopefully he remembers that and takes that memory to his pro level game these next two weeks.

clevestinks
11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I want to cry! My season here in Cleve, revolves around us beating the brownies. Ben better be back.

shevdog
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
*sigh*

Sorry dude. I guess I lucked out by seeing him play on Halloween. He didn't looked hurt at all during the game, from what I could see.

At least the next 3 games are with weak teams. If Steelers play Steelers ball, they will be strong and ready for when Big Ben returns.

Lyn
11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Remember, Charlie never had too good of a line to work behind in his years there, and no receivers to throw to but Edwards. He'll be allright.

Yes that is very, very true! I am going to have a positive outlook, this could be a really exciting time in Steeler History. Plus we will finally find out what Charlie can or cannot do, he did look good in training camp.

Lyn
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
I played against Charlie Batch in high school. He went to Steel Valley and was the backup. He started in the championship game at 3 rivers stadium and he whooped our asses. Hopefully he remembers that and takes that memory to his pro level game these next two weeks.

This must be really exciting for you then since you actually know Charlie and have played against him.

TasmanianTroy271
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I hope Ben gets well soon, but like everyone has said, this is the best time for him to heal up, cause we're gonna need him healthy.

Go Batch! I have faith in you brother!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
They better activate Herron because i too think the backs are going to get a lot of carries, maybe passing the ball 10 times
Willie is not gonna be able to handle the load by himself, and Duce is a questionmark in the backfield right now.
I hope Ben will be back in time to play the Colts. The next three teams we have: Packers, brownies, and the Ratbirds, we should do fine without Ben, and i hope the team and Ben lets himself rest.
We are gonna have to beat the Colts. It could be the most important game until the playoffs.

RichmondVA
11-03-2005, 02:52 PM
More news. Duce will be playing Sunday since Bettis is Questionable. The 3rd QB is ARE.

Then who is Batch's back-up?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I hope Ben will be back in time to play the Colts. The next three teams we have: Packers, brownies, and the Ratbirds, we should do fine without Ben, and i hope the team and Ben lets himself rest.
We are gonna have to beat the Colts. It could be the most important game until the playoffs.

Prosdo
11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone who missed the conference about Ben. Here is the audio from the conference.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/download/2005/1103/5242088.mp3

51JetsfaninPa51
11-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Its offical the steelers losing 1-2 games. STEELERS SUCK

Koopa
11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
it's offical, jets ain't shit and we winning the next three games, packers, browns, ravens, who the hell are they? well they ain't as bad as the jets but they ain't shit batch will take care of this shit

AvoidLLoyd95
11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Its offical the steelers losing 1-2 games. STEELERS SUCK
Just how are those Jets doing this year. How's Chad's shoulder? Grandpa Vinnie seems to be well and back to throwing his usual picks. Gang Green. More like Gag Green. The jets blow and so do their fans. Who is the next qb? That goofy jackass that wears the hard hat and yells really really loud that always gets shown at every jets game? How about you? I bet you would be better than Vinnie. Hell, Maddox is better than Vinnie. Have fun watcing the jets lose this year. Well, you are probably used to it by now, huh.

hardwork
11-03-2005, 10:00 PM
My advice to Ben would be to play at about 10 to 12 pounds under what he's at now.

24seven
11-03-2005, 10:20 PM
deffinitely this couldn't have happened at a better time.. After watching his non moving performance against the Ravens i'm happy to see him getting this taken care of.. It just didn't look like good ol Rothy out there especially when the pocket was collapsing.. As for Batch.. I have complete confidence in him and know he's been just waiting for his opportunity to start.. He's still got some good football in him and he'll show that come Sunday.. Also.. he's got plenty of experience against the Packers.. of all the qb's to have to face them he's at least got that behind him.. And last but not least there's no way in hell he could possibly play as bad as Maddox did against the Jags so even if we lose i'm sure it will be more graceful than that.. But I haven't a doubt in my mind that Batch will step up to the plate..

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
My advice to Ben would be to play at about 10 to 12 pounds under what he's at now.
HE needs to hit the weight room, there was a thread the other day talking about how ben is a "big" boy and looked chubby at camp.
would be benificail for him to take training a bit more serious

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
With regard to Ben's workout habits, the link to this story from the 2004 mid-season indicates the Steelers have been working with Ben on conditioning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/players/11/16/workout1122/

Given that I doubt Ben's training table consists exclusively of Hostess Ho-Hos and Heineken, I attribute his knee injuries not to poor conditioning but to being a young physical player who knowingly gets in harm's way more often than the Tommy Guns of the world (e.g. - when Ben banged up his knee in the first half and Phil Simmms thought Ben could not continue in the Dallas game last year) and guts it out when other players would sit it out (see - e.g. - Michael Vick). And a lot of it is luck - Brett Favre has never been confused with Jerry Rice in terms of workout regimens but Favre has an unbelieveable record of consecutive starts.

If someone needs to worry about better conditioning it is whomever is responsibile for the turf at Heinz Cow Pasture. Players were coming up with chunks of turf on their helmets Monday night and Ben said he injured his knee whan a cleat caught in that terrible turf. That field is an annual disgrace and an accident waiting to ruin the careers of players in which the Steelers and other NFL teams haved invested millions of dollars.

tony hipchest
11-04-2005, 05:20 PM
well said atlanta dan. bens conditionning had nothing to do with the way he was hit in san diego. in fact his conditionning and youth is probably why he only missed one game. it might be a year ending injury for grossman or boller (or even those qb's who arent used to getting hit). he may only miss 1 week with arthroscopic surgery. thats pretty amazing for a qb. even if he misses 2. it usually takes 3-4 weeks for most players.

BB2W
11-04-2005, 06:49 PM
This was in the Post, thought it was cool...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200511/1131080342656.jpg