PDA

View Full Version : Who do you guys WANT in April???

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I haven't followed the prospects very closely this season, but in my eyes O-Line is our top need - with WR a fairly distant second. Apparently there are some solid WR prospects in the 2nd round area so that works out perfectly if true.

So, who do you guys want?? Otah, Williams, Albert?? I find it pretty apparent that O-Line isn't just my idea for our top need when last year's Faneca-including line gave up the 2nd most sacks in franchise history for a QB that had one of the best years as far as QB escapability goes. Did you guys see what Ben did back there as far as getting away from DE's/LB's last year?? I think he had me off my seat a dozen times with a "How in the living HELL did he get away from that one?!" Damn its a nice reality to think that Ben could be a Steeler for life!

So in ideal, realistic circumstances - Who do you guys want come mid-april???

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I haven't followed the prospects very closely this season, but in my eyes O-Line is our top need - with WR a fairly distant second. Apparently there are some solid WR prospects in the 2nd round area so that works out perfectly if true.

So, who do you guys want?? Otah, Williams, Albert?? I find it pretty apparent that O-Line isn't just my idea for our top need when last year's Faneca-including line gave up the 2nd most sacks in franchise history for a QB that had one of the best years as far as QB escapability goes. Did you guys see what Ben did back there as far as getting away from DE's/LB's last year?? I think he had me off my seat a dozen times with a "How in the living HELL did he get away from that one?!" Damn its a nice reality to think that Ben could be a Steeler for life!

So in ideal, realistic circumstances - Who do you guys want come mid-april???

As I have said I would want hometown boy Otah, but sadly it doesnt look like its going to happen.

polamalu82
03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
We have some pressing needs at DE too. With the Hartwig signing I think that opens up the first round for us a little more. I think the first round will be the "best player on the board" situation. I would like to see either DE,OL or CB at #23. At some point maybe 3-5 we will be looking at a WR. Some Mocks I've seen recently still have Albert, and yet some think we will be taking either a CB or WR. It's all a shot in the dark if you ask me. All I have to say is I love this time of year.

Steeldude
03-22-2008, 03:23 AM
what do i want in april? hmmmm.....how about....

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6672/leahdizonother57hq1.jpg

Steeldude
03-22-2008, 03:25 AM
on a more serious note.

hopefully a top notch C, G or LT.

i do not want a RB, WR, TE, CB, S, P or K in the 1st round.

BettisFan
03-22-2008, 03:44 AM
what do i want in april? hmmmm.....how about....

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6672/leahdizonother57hq1.jpg

I think the question meant realistically lol:thumbsup:

Texasteel
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I wanted Chris Williams from the start, but have given up on that hope.
The only 2 player I would like, that right now may be there at 23.

Brandon Albert: I think he would start for us need year, and improve our interior line greatly.
Quentin Groves: The OLB we tried to draft in the 1st round last year.

Other than that, I hope they can trade down and pick up a draft pick or 2.
I would really like to get Trevor Law in the 2nd round if he could pick up an early round 2 pick.

ajs8207
03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd like Albert. Play guard this year and possibly slide over to tackle is Marvel Smith isn't resigned. I wouldn't mind a defensive lineman or wide receiver. The more we play cover 2, the less we need top quality cb's, so unless an elite one falls, we should address the secondary later in the draft.

19ward86
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
We have 2 solid choices in the draft this year:

start of defensively and end offensively-Trevor Laws notre dame DT
OR
start of offensively and end defensively-Branden Albert OG

millwalldavey
03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I hope OL comes first...

DACEB
03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
My 1st round big board, in order of value IMO;

OL- Albert, Otah
OLB- Quentin Groves
RB- Jonathan Stewart
OL- Cherilus
DB- Reggie Smith, Antoine Cason
WR- James Hardy

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
My 1st round big board, in order of value IMO;

OL- Albert, Otah
OLB- Quentin Groves
RB- Jonathan Stewart
OL- Cherilus
DB- Reggie Smith, Antoine Cason
WR- James Hardy
looks good to me, but i'd drop cherilus to the bottom....:thumbsup:

DACEB
03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
looks good to me, but i'd drop cherilus to the bottom....:thumbsup:

I know alot of folks are down on Cherilus because he's projected as only a RT. I believe this kid will be a hell of a RT. IMO, he could start day one and perform better than Starks and Colon the past two seasons. Who knows he could end up being a LT, Otah is projected higher based on potential.

Aussie_steeler
03-22-2008, 08:26 PM
This April I want to know the long term plans for Max Starks. If they are going to keep him and if they are going to keep him is he going to be the LT or RT for the next 3 - 4 years. If they are not going to keep him than tell me in April. I also want to know the status of Marvel Smiths back. I cannot name one starter on the current O line who projects to still be there for sure and certain in 3 - 4 years time.

Then I can stop all this back and forward debating with myself about who we should pick in the first.

Because of these questions I am sitting on the fence and will settle for Brandon Albert. Great guard who projects to be an equally as good tackle. He wont start in 2008 but in 2009 he will be a beast. This is the year to start investing in O line for a return to a stud quality line.

And April 2009 I want a beast of a center (Luigs or Mack will do)

Dylan
03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
after the hartwig signing i rather go WR or DB in 1st, then pick an OL in the 2nd or maybe 3rd

Steeldude
03-23-2008, 02:52 AM
after the hartwig signing i rather go WR or DB in 1st, then pick an OL in the 2nd or maybe 3rd

why? the steelers are not in need of a WR in the first round. hartwig does not solve the O-line problems. the steelers can't keep neglecting the O-line every draft. the don't have a single star player on the O-line.

starks - average to poor. seems to play better at LT than RT
simmons - average to poor
mahan - average to poor. clearly not a center.
kemo - average to poor. still having trouble learning the playbook.
essex - average to poor
smith - above average, but not healthy
hartwig - remains to be seen, but was nothing special before coming here
colon - average to poor. clearly not a tackle.
stapleton - unknown
capizzi - unknown

also, the steelers probably won't have a DB worth the value of the 23rd pick to choose.

IMO, they should BPA the OL or DL.

the DL is in shambles.

smith - coming off an injury and is getting old.
hampton - isn't getting any younger and he needs to lose weight.
kirschke - old and basically a backup.
keisel - too small to play the DL in a 3-4.
mcbean - unknown.
hoke - getting old.

Texasteel
03-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I think I have to agree with Steeldude, I can't see where signing an average C changes this teems needs a lot. This problem line has still lost its best player, and its 2nd best play may not stay healthy.
We have also seen that this D-line is one injury away from big trouble.

Steel Buckeye
03-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I want the Steelers to draft Branden Albert. Anyone who thinks Mahan is a suitable replacement for Faneca is not thinking straight. Mahan sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck. I also want the Steelers to draft Antoine Cason, I think he will drop to round 2 because of the cornerback depth in this draft, however he may require trading up. Kendall Langford for d-line depth, and Kirk Barton to replace Willie Colon, who allowed 13 sacks in 2007.

MasterOfPuppets
03-23-2008, 02:20 PM
why? the steelers are not in need of a WR in the first round. hartwig does not solve the O-line problems. the steelers can't keep neglecting the O-line every draft. the don't have a single star player on the O-line.

essex - average to poor
stapleton - unknown
capizzi - unknown

also, the steelers probably won't have a DB worth the value of the 23rd pick to choose.

the DL is in shambles.

mcbean - unknown.
hoke - getting old.
THANK YOU !!!!......the reason the oline is in shambles, and the D line is heading in that direction, is because of neglecting drafting quality depth for the lines the past 5 years !!! so now we pick up ANOTHER second rate lineman and people think the problems are solved ,so just forget about this year.....:dang:......tthis way of thinking by the F.O. is how the problems started to begin with !!!! even if hartwig performs better than expected, there's still the problems at BOTH tackles that need addressed. does anyone really wanna see colon or starks stinking it up another year at RT ??? is smith a guaranteed to be back at LT??? Who backs up both?

DACEB
03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Who knows, last year we needed LBs and we got LBs. No matter what you think of the Timmons pick, he gave us help on STs and depth. Then came the 2nd round, and the Gods gave us Woodley!

Wouldn't it be something if the team drafted Albert in the 1st and somehow Cherilus fell to us in the 2nd.

O.K., all at once, cross your fingers!

polamalu82
03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Who knows, last year we needed LBs and we got LBs. No matter what you think of the Timmons pick, he gave us help on STs and depth. Then came the 2nd round, and the Gods gave us Woodley!

Wouldn't it be something if the team drafted Albert in the 1st and somehow Cherilus fell to us in the 2nd.

O.K., all at once, cross your fingers!

With all the teams needing OL help this season, it would be a miracle if Cherilus fell to us in the second. Besides, if we take Albert in the first we can wait to take another OL in the later rounds. I'd like for us to look for a CB,DE or WR in the second.

Dylan
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM

essex - average to poor
stapleton - unknown
capizzi - unknown

the DL is in shambles.

mcbean - unknown.
hoke - getting old.

true but hartwig brings stability at the line and a veteran presence... the draft is loaded with olinman this year...and why not take a WR in the 1st... ill take any playmaking wr anyday

Steeldude
03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
true but hartwig brings stability at the line and a veteran presence... the draft is loaded with olinman this year...and why not take a WR in the 1st... ill take any playmaking wr anyday

because a WR in the first is not a pressing need. good O-linemen won't be available in the later rounds. this is why the steelers' O-line has fallen apart. they have been neglecting it for many years. settling for projects and average or below linemen have caught up to the steelers. a WR isn't going to move the ball on the ground, control the clock, give the multi-million dollar QB the time to find WRs or protect him from getting killed.

how much of a playmaker is a WR going to be? holmes was drafted as a playmaker, but the scheme the steelers utilize isn't exactly built for WRs to be playmakers. if they go for a tall WR for stretching the field it would help if BR learned to throw the long ball.

the steelers haven't drafted a decent linemen since marvel smith.

i would take a good offensive lineman over a good WR any day.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-24-2008, 04:56 AM
because a WR in the first is not a pressing need. good O-linemen won't be available in the later rounds. this is why the steelers' O-line has fallen apart. they have been neglecting it for many years. settling for projects and average or below linemen have caught up to the steelers. a WR isn't going to move the ball on the ground, control the clock, give the multi-million dollar QB the time to find WRs or protect him from getting killed.

how much of a playmaker is a WR going to be? holmes was drafted as a playmaker, but the scheme the steelers utilize isn't exactly built for WRs to be playmakers. if they go for a tall WR for stretching the field it would help if BR learned to throw the long ball.

But you have to take value into consideration. There is a good chance that all 1st round OT's are gone by #23....so do you reach ..or take a 1st round WR and try and grab someone like Benedict in the second or third?
If Otah or Williams was there at #23 then ...sure...grab one of them...but otherwise you take the best player on the board that meets your needs....and we have not had a legit #3 WR in a long time. You are right though that a DL is a possibility.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2008, 07:54 AM
I woudn't mind seeing us get Aquib Talib from kansas I belive he would be a play maker.

Steeldude
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
But you have to take value into consideration. There is a good chance that all 1st round OT's are gone by #23....so do you reach ..or take a 1st round WR and try and grab someone like Benedict in the second or third?
If Otah or Williams was there at #23 then ...sure...grab one of them...but otherwise you take the best player on the board that meets your needs....and we have not had a legit #3 WR in a long time. You are right though that a DL is a possibility.

IMO, you BPA the OL or DL. i rank WR behind the OL, DL, DB and LB for the first round.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
IMO, you BPA the OL or DL. i rank WR behind the OL, DL, DB and LB for the first round.

QB...OL..DL...CB..and Wr are considered favorable first round picks....the largest majority of your starting WR's are 1-3 round picks...OL is a high/low game...but LB traditionally can be found in rounds 2-5.

Steeldude
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I woudn't mind seeing us get Aquib Talib from kansas I belive he would be a play maker.

i have read so many negatives on him that i think he isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Weaknesses:
Will take too many risks...Does not play as fast as he times and lacks a burst...Is not real physical...Just average in run support...Struggles to recover...Inconsistent and is not very disciplined..Has too much confidence in his abilities...Footwork and technique need refining..Gets beat more often than he should...Has off-the-field / character issues that need to be investigated and evaluated...A high bust factor?

IMO, sounds pretty much like mcfadden.

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I want Felix Jones.

returner, depth at RB, and he can tackle on kick offs. That is what I want in the first round.

Oh, and re-sign Haggans. Cause I like him.

Steeldude
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
QB...OL..DL...CB..and Wr are considered favorable first round picks....the largest majority of your starting WR's are 1-3 round picks...OL is a high/low game...but LB traditionally can be found in rounds 2-5.

i was referring to the steelers' needs this season. :smile:

Dylan
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I want Felix Jones.

returner, depth at RB, and he can tackle on kick offs. That is what I want in the first round.

Oh, and re-sign Haggans. Cause I like him.

i think thats is why we signed Mewelde moore

Dylan
03-24-2008, 09:50 PM

i agree with you that it isnt a pressing need, but if there is someone who isnt worth the 23 pick but a good wr or db why not take that and get lets say a Sam Baker(probably wont last that long) in the second... i do agree we need to adress the Oline, no can say we cant

Galax Steeler
03-25-2008, 06:07 AM
i have read so many negatives on him that i think he isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Weaknesses:
Will take too many risks...Does not play as fast as he times and lacks a burst...Is not real physical...Just average in run support...Struggles to recover...Inconsistent and is not very disciplined..Has too much confidence in his abilities...Footwork and technique need refining..Gets beat more often than he should...Has off-the-field / character issues that need to be investigated and evaluated...A high bust factor?

IMO, sounds pretty much like mcfadden.

I didn't know he had so many weakeness sounds like he could be a bust.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 07:47 AM
i was referring to the steelers' needs this season. :smile:

Steelers needs this year are:
1) OL ...due to Smith being in his final contract year, and the loss of Faneca .
2)Safety ...with little depth and Clarks status, we need to bolster the backfield
3) DL...after Smith tore his bicep, we felt the lack of pass rush.
4) WR... Wilson is gone, Washington is inconsistant, and Ward is not getting any younger
5) CB ...with Deshea turning 33 and Mcfadden in last year of contract, competition is needed
6) FB...Davis is not a dominant blocker, a true blocking FB with short yardage capability would be great.

LT is the second most important position on a team (next to QB)...but there is a chance that all legit LT's will be off the board in the first round...Williams and Otah would be great but are unlikely. Albert is a possibility and may be able to play LG this year and move to LT next year...but he is also getting alot of attention and some team ahead of us may reach for him since the next most talented guard is ranked as a third rounder.

Safeties can be found on the second day

DL is a possibility but only Harvey and Merling seem to be the only 3-4 DE's who rate a 1st round grade (other than Long) and they will go early. Jackson is also a possibility but has some red flags.

WR is a position that HAS to be looked at on the first day with a full 74% of starting WR's in the draft being picked up in the first three rounds. Players like Colston are the exception to the rule. If there is a quality OL or DL available that rank equal with a WR...we would go with the lineman...but those that rank high enough, may be gone. As far as WR's there are several first rounders that may be available...including Kelly...Sweed...or Hardy, who would give Ben the Big Reciever that he has publicly asked for. We can mark Hardy off due to off-field issues

CB is also a premium position but is close enough to Wr that the depth of CB in this draft and the fact that traditionally a quality CB can be found all the way until the 4th round...may lead us to wait and still get a possible future starter in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

FB's are usually not even looked at until the 4th round and none this year rate higher thatn that pick... a 5th-UDFA pick is more likely.

The way I see it is that at #23 these are the players we would take. (In this order of talent/importance)

1) Chris Williams
2) Jeff Otah
3) Phillip Merling
4) Brandon Albert
5) Derrick Harvey
6) Limas Sweed
7) Malcolm Kelly

DACEB
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
DL is a possibility but only Harvey and Merling seem to be the only 3-4 DE's who rate a 1st round grade (other than Long) and they will go early. Jackson is also a possibility but has some red flags.

LLT, I don't think you can catagorize Harvey and Merling as 3-4 DEs. Both are under 280lbs and have never dealt with the double teams they would see at 3-4DE. I would say the only DL prospect in the 1st for us would be Balmer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
LLT, I don't think you can catagorize Harvey and Merling as 3-4 DEs. Both are under 280lbs and have never dealt with the double teams they would see at 3-4DE. I would say the only DL prospect in the 1st for us would be Balmer.

Both have rare strength which would allow them to take on the double team...and Harvey has gained 15 lbs, though probably needs to add another 15.....Kiesel only weighs 285.

Merling has been extremely productive on the football field and has the entire repertoire of pass rushing moves. At close to 280 pounds he also has the girth to hold up against the run. The other thing that makes him attractive to the NFL is his size and strength will allow him to play end in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.http://www.nfl-draft-site.com/2008/01/spotlight-on-phillip-merling-for-2008.html

The NFL Network reported that Derrick Harvey weighed in at 291 pounds. This was an error they failed to correct after two days, however, as he is officially listed at 271. Still, Harvey's a mid-first round pick, as he looked solid at the combine.
Suited for the 3-4. Harvey, a monstrous pass rusher, sacked Troy Smith twice in the BCS Championship. Collected 11 sacks in 2006. Considered by some as a better pro prospect than Jarvis Moss, who was drafted No. 17. http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php