PDA

View Full Version : NFL teams weigh Wonderlic tests

polamalu82
03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
By Dan Pompei | Tribune staff reporter
12:20 PM CDT, March 22, 2008

One of the many variables NFL teams are factoring into their draft grades are scores from the Wonderlic tests given at the scouting combine. Wonderlic tests are given to help gauge the intelligence of prospects.

NFL teams expect most prospects will score well because players can prepare for the tests. When a player has an unusually low score, it sets off alarms.

A person of average intelligence is supposed to score a 20. NFL teams like to see quarterbacks, offensive linemen, middle linebackers and safeties score higher than that because those positions can be mentally demanding.

At the quarterback position, none of the top prospects laid a Wonderlic egg. Boston College'sMatt Ryan, he of the off-the-charts intangibles, scored an impressive 32. And his score was matched by Lousiville's Brian Brohm, who is the second-highest-rated quarterback after Ryan on most boards.

Joe Flacco of Delaware scored a 27 and Chad Henne of Michigan scored a 22. Both are considered second-round prospects.

Most of the top offensive linemen also tested well. Michigan'sJake Long scored a 26. Pittsburgh's Jeff Otah scored a 28. Southern California's Sam Baker scored a 27. Vanderbilt's Chris Williams scored a 32. Boston College's Godser Cherilus scored a 25. Virginia's Brandon Albert scored a 23.

Boise State offensive tackleRyan Clady had the only disappointing score from the top group of blockers, a 13.

At the linebacker position there are two players who look like surefire first-rounders, but one tested better than the other. Tennessee'sJerod Mayo scored a 26 while USC's Keith Rivers scored a 16. Rivers' test probably won't hurt his stock because most teams consider him an outside linebacker.

Kenny Phillips of Miami, the only safety expected to go in the first round, did not help himself with a 16 test score.

Copyright ? 2008, The Chicago Tribune

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080322-nfl-draft-wonderlic-test,1,4563566.story

If anyone knows where all the draft prospects scores are can you post the link?:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
i had an ex girlfriend give me the Wonderlic. :yummy: anyone who says its meaningless is CRAZY! :thumbsup:

VTsteel
03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
So, I took the sample Wonderlic test at http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

It is so easy - some of these guys must be almost retarded to get such low scores.

Check it out for yourself.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Haha easy as hell i got 7/9 missed 9 and 8, wow these guys must be slow as hell.no wonder they play football what else could they do dam. And i just rushed through that.

revefsreleets
03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Vince Young's 6 will always be my favorite wonderlic story.

polamalu82
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Vince Young's 6 will always be my favorite wonderlic story.

:sofunny:
Well thats one record that he will have that probably won't be broke.

DACEB
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
It is so easy - some of these guys must be almost retarded to get such low scores.

It certainly does make you wonder, these guys were in college?

I'm sorry, this test may not mean much in the grand scheme of football, but I wouldn't want a guy if he scored below let's say 16. They truly must be idiots.

VTsteel
03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080322-nfl-draft-wonderlic-test,1,4563566.story

If anyone knows where all the draft prospects scores are can you post the link?:thumbsup:

The New York Daily News reports that Arkansas RB Darren McFadden scored a 17 on the Wonderlic Exam.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/03/29/2008-03-29_after_home_life_from_hell_darren_mcfadde.html?p age=1

Well . . . at least he scored better than Dan Marino.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

SteelCurtain
03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
This topic seems to come up every year. I can't believe how dumb some of these players are. I scored an 8/9 and I barely thought about any of the questions.

Dynasty
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
i got a 9 in less than a minute... and im an underclassman in high school

how can people who have graduated high school, and gotten through most of college (or all of it) be so damn stupid!

Galax Steeler
03-31-2008, 04:00 AM
The test is not really hard at all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 06:12 AM
:sofunny:
Well thats one record that he will have that probably won't be broke.

Rumor is that Clady scored a 4 this year.

VTsteel
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Rumor is that Clady scored a 4 this year.

This site:
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/23/wonderlic-scores-predict-which-nfl-players-are-good-at-taking-wo/

Is reporting that Clady scored a 13 . . . Albert scrored a 23.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 08:34 AM
This site:
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/23/wonderlic-scores-predict-which-nfl-players-are-good-at-taking-wo/

Is reporting that Clady scored a 13 . . . Albert scrored a 23.

Thanks for the link!...thats why I said it was a rumor....yahoo sports had reported the score of "4"....although 13 is still...very sad.

revefsreleets
03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
If you guess at the questions, you should get around a 12. I suspect that the guys who score lower than that have problems reading, which is quite a testimonial for the college they attended.

OneForTheToe
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I like to tell women that I am "wonderlific," but I don't think they believe me.:crying03:

tony hipchest
03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
the wonderlic test reminds me of sam kinnison's tips on cunnilingus-

"lick the alphabet"

if you can do that, you pass!

stlrtruck
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
What's sad is that someone is making money off this test which seems to be elementary in questions but yet can't be passed by those who supposedly went to college?

warddj86
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
i got a 9 in less than a minute... and im an underclassman in high school

how can people who have graduated high school, and gotten through most of college (or all of it) be so damn stupid!

same here

millwalldavey
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Damn... 9/9 in about 50 seconds.

Those 6th graders are lucky to have me!

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
What's sad is that someone is making money off this test which seems to be elementary in questions but yet can't be passed by those who supposedly went to college?

Mabey thats why they play sports.

fansince'76
04-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Being "enrolled" in college as opposed to actually "attending classes" (at least college-level classes) - two completely different things.

stlrtruck
04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Being "enrolled" in college as opposed to actually "attending classes" (at least college-level classes) - two completely different things.

Touche :duel:

Willem Gerber
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
How can VY score 6 and be a starting QB?

revefsreleets
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
He probably got a tutor and learned to read. I'm not joking, either. He was obviously "passed through" at Texas to keep him on the team.

millwalldavey
04-02-2008, 02:47 PM
He probably got a tutor and learned to read. I'm not joking, either. He was obviously "passed through" at Texas to keep him on the team.

Yeah... that happens all over... even where I went (Bloomsburg)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Guys probably dont take it seriously or else its just them "book smarts" kind o thang.
Javon Walker scored a 7 which is terrible, but I bet he knew when to block the sam linebacker in a even front as opposed to going for the Mack linebacker in an odd front.

Rhee Rhee
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
i had an ex girlfriend give me the Wonderlic. :yummy: anyone who says its meaningless is CRAZY! :thumbsup:

:wink02::wink02::thumbsup::thumbsup::sofunny::sofu nny:

HAHA

Steeldude
04-03-2008, 12:55 AM
How can VY score 6 and be a starting QB?

he will most likely be riding the bench within in 2 years. don't forget that the idiot kordell stewart was our starting QB for 5+ years. that is something i will never understand. the titans will learn that it's better to have a QB with a brain.

the only way the titans will succeed with young is if they have a dominant running and defense. come playoff time they will lose just like the steelers did with stewart. teams will force young to win the game with his arm. the odds of that happening are slim and none.

the only QB with a low test score, that went on to do anything, was marino.

revefsreleets
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I disagree. I'm not convinced that Young is a box of rocks, I just think he was pampered throughout high school and college and his athleticism made people turn a blind eye. Unlike Kordell and Mike Vick, Young is freakishly gifted, and I think he is so talented that he may be able to overcome some shortcomings in his game. I'm actually doing a 180 on him by saying this, too, because I always had him pegged as an idiot. Really, though, only time will tell.

Steeldude
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I disagree. I'm not convinced that Young is a box of rocks, I just think he was pampered throughout high school and college and his athleticism made people turn a blind eye. Unlike Kordell and Mike Vick, Young is freakishly gifted, and I think he is so talented that he may be able to overcome some shortcomings in his game. I'm actually doing a 180 on him by saying this, too, because I always had him pegged as an idiot. Really, though, only time will tell.

that's true, only time will tell.

but i'll stick with my first gut instinct :smile:

one thing is for certain, young needs to learn how to run with a lower stance or slide. he is going to get killed before anyone finds out if he is good or bad.

Rhee Rhee
04-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Unlike Kordell and Mike Vick, Young is freakishly gifted, and I think he is so talented that he may be able to overcome some shortcomings in his game.

i agreed with everything except this part... yes young was much more gifted then kordell but then again kordell was in a different football era where it was considered blinding speed for a guy to run 4.55

and first off mike vick is more athletic than vince young.. his 40 time 4.25 compared to a 4.5 (on a fast track and it was actually 4.58) and just look at some highlight tapes... shifty and quick don't even begin to describe mike vick...

PLUS mike vick's arm rivaled only brett farve in arm strength...

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
But Mike Vick has no accuracy, can't stand back in the pocket, and can't read a defense to save his life. Young can do all of the above.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-16-2008, 10:13 AM
In his two years as a starter Young has a career passer rating of 69.0 and has completed only 57.1 % of his passes...he has thrown 30 interception and fumbled 22 times.

Before that draft I ranked the top three QB's as :

1) Cutler
2) Leinart
3) Young

I stand by that ranking.

tony hipchest
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
i heard an interview with mario manningham the other day and i will go out on a limb and say he scored the lowest wonderlic ever recorded.

while teams like dallas and the bungles cream their jeans on the thought of him sliding in the 2nd, i hope the steelers completely take him off their board.

millwalldavey
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
i heard an interview with mario manningham the other day and i will go out on a limb and say he scored the lowest wonderlic ever recorded.

while teams like dallas and the bungles cream their jeans on the thought of him sliding in the 2nd, i hope the steelers completely take him off their board.

I thin Manningham had some drug test issues at UM.

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Cutler is only slightly better off, and he plays on a much better team:
88.1 QBR, 19 INT's and has fumbled 11 times(deceiving stat: Young runs a lot more than Leinert or Cutler) in a total of 16 games.
Leinert: 17 games, 71.2 QBR, 16 picks, 8 fumbles (He's only rushed 22 times to Vince Youngs 176 attempts)

Young has also played 30 games, which is almost twice Cutler and Leinert combined.

The Duke
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
the fact that young completed over 60% of his passes with a terrible receiving corps already tells me he can be better than vick. he just needs to be smarter with the ball and not turn it over so often

he's done better than leinart, who I had as the # 1 QB in 2006 draft :dang:, and easily better than vick, he doesn't run as much as him and has no run ins with the law

Preacher
04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Wonderlic--

Low scores may not be because of intelligence, rather, they may be because of a lack of training in test taking of this type. Let me explain.

When a person sits down for a normal text (we all have done it), we normally expect straight up questions. However, these tests are designed to test not rote memory, rather, to catch cognitive distortions, glosses, etc. that the human mind does in reading and seeing. The thought is that if a person can catch these things, then they have intelligence by showing critical thinking skills.

The problem is, those tests work for those who are visually or logically minded. For those who think in other ways, the tests are harder.

that is why IQ tests are fading away, because people are recognizing that they only test for one or two methodologies of thought.