PDA

View Full Version : NFL could ban flowing hair

Steelerchickie
03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't have enough posts to place a link here, but do a google search for 'NFL could ban flowing hair' and you'll find an article about the potential banning as a uniform violation, and of course, our boy Troy, poster child for long locks.

Personally, I'd be devastated if Troy were forced to cut his hair (or even find a way to fit it all under his helmet, as the article suggests). Its like, a legend in and of itself. I just hope enough teams vote against this potential rule change.

The Duke
03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/21/nfl-could-ban-hair-flowing-out-of-helmets/

does goodell have nothing to do nowadays? :coffee:

troy without hair would suck!

MasterOfPuppets
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
NFL Could Ban Hair Flowing Out of Helmets
Posted Mar 21st 2008 10:06AM by Michael David Smith

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is known as much for the long hair that goes halfway down his back as for anything else. But Polamalu and other NFL players may soon be banned from exposing long hair on the field.

Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network that the NFL's competition committee is considering a rule that would bar a player from wearing his hair long enough on the field to obscure his name on the back of his jersey. Players like Polamalu and Jaguars cornerback Rashaen Mathis would either need to get a haircut or figure out a way to stuff all that hair in their helmets throughout a game.

According to Schefter, the Kansas City Chiefs proposed the rule change, perhaps motivated by the incident in October 2006, when Chiefs running back Larry Johnson pulled Polamalu's hair to drag him down from behind -- which is legal -- and then held onto the hair after both players hit the ground, drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty.

Schefter reports that the Chiefs have argued that the hair requirement should be enforced as a uniform violation, similar to the league's requirements that players wear their socks a certain way. But there's also some support for the rules change from league insiders who believe it's unsafe to have players running around with hair hanging out their helmet.

The 32 teams are expected to vote on the proposed rules change at the league meeting at the end of the month.

polamalu82
This would suck. The flowing hair is Troy's trademark. Its like a mane to a lion. Here's the link since you couldn't post it steelerchickie.:thumbsup:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/21/nfl-could-ban-hair-flowing-out-of-helmets

fansince'76
Steven Jackson and Al Harris would both need to do something about their hair as well.

polamalu82
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Damn, I think we got the info out guys.:thumbsup::sofunny:

Godfather
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
That would be an idoitic rule. The fact that it's legal to pull someone down by his hair should be enough to deter most players from having long hair. If you're willing to take that chance you should be able to wear your hair long.

fansince'76
03-23-2008, 02:52 PM
That would be an idoitic rule.

Agreed. I guess Goodell and company think it's more important to legislate players' hair length than it is to define once and for all what constitutes a completed pass. :rolleyes:

polamalu82
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
According to Schefter, the Kansas City Chiefs proposed the rule change, perhaps motivated by the incident in October 2006, when Chiefs running back Larry Johnson pulled Polamalu's hair to drag him down from behind -- which is legal -- and then held onto the hair after both players hit the ground, drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty.

The only reason the penilty was thrown is because Larry took Troy down then pulled him off the ground by his hair. I would call that "unnecessary roughness".

eVO93amUv7Y

Polamalu Princess
03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
:fro::crying03::banned::crying01:That is just not right!!!!!!! Not my boy Troy!!!!

Steelerchickie
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Pulling someone back up by their hair most certainly is unnecessary roughness. I remember being livid after this play, especially because Dan Dierdorf was all up in arms about how Troy should be expecting these things because of the length of his hair. Pulling someone down, I can understand, but you've gotta let go as soon as the play is over. I swore that day that if I ever met Dan Dierdorf in person, I'd grab his stupid mustache and run the other way while still holding on, and see how he likes it. I don't think most men realize how much it sucks to have your hair pulled like that, but I wouldn't mind giving him a demonstration.

fansince'76
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
....Dan Dierdorf was all up in arms about how Troy should be expecting these things because of the length of his hair....

The ironic thing is Troy NEVER made a big deal about it, either on the field immediately after the play, nor to the press after the game. Consider the source in this case - Dierdorf is a fat, bloated idiot.

Godfather
03-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Pulling someone back up by their hair most certainly is unnecessary roughness. I remember being livid after this play, especially because Dan Dierdorf was all up in arms about how Troy should be expecting these things because of the length of his hair. Pulling someone down, I can understand, but you've gotta let go as soon as the play is over. I swore that day that if I ever met Dan Dierdorf in person, I'd grab his stupid mustache and run the other way while still holding on, and see how he likes it. I don't think most men realize how much it sucks to have your hair pulled like that, but I wouldn't mind giving him a demonstration.

Exactly. When you're tackling someone, you grab whatever you can (except the face mask or the collar).

But there was no excuse for pulling hair after they were both on the ground.

The Duke
03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
The ironic thing is Troy NEVER made a big deal about it, either on the field immediately after the play, nor to the press after the game. Consider the source in this case - Dierdorf is a fat, bloated idiot.

exactly. in fact, here's what he said about the tackle: Polamalu said, "It doesn't matter to me if he tackles me by my hair or my ankles." :tt02:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261015023

tony hipchest
03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
isnt larry johnson and his diapers a uniform code violation?

the chiefs need to stfu. i hope they lose this vote 1-31 and look like whining fools.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 05:34 PM
This will just piss me off this better not go through i love Troys hair its his trademark hes a beast that is his personality, its him!

VTsteel
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I think if this extremely idiotic rule was passed . . . Troy could just tuck his hair into his helmet. I am pretty positive they couldn't make him cut it.

:fro:

Preacher
03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I can understand it if they can prove that it is a safety hazard (helmet not sitting on the head properly).

But I doubt that is the real issue because otherwise, tucking the hair under the helmet wouldn't be allowed either, in fact, it would be even more dangerous.

Lord Stiller
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
"My hair is my name" - Troy Polamalu

silver & black
03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/21/nfl-could-ban-hair-flowing-out-of-helmets/

does goodell have nothing to do nowadays? :coffee:

troy without hair would suck!

Robert Gallery too... oh, wait... he sucks anyway! :sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Legally, the NFL cannot force someone to cut their hair. However, they can force someone to hide their long hair in some way.

The only way someone can legally be forced into cutting their hair is to put it in the player's contract. One example of this is Major League Baseball's New York Yankees. it is put into every Yankee contract that the player must keep a professional look about him. Short hair, no beard just a mustache is allowed. Not doing so can legally void the contract and cause the player financial repercussions.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 10:25 PM
So what would he do ? Braids? pony tail , put in the jersey?

Newzfoxjr
03-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Hopefully Troy isn't like that guy from the bible...you know, once he cut his hair...he was a wuss.

Crushzilla
03-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Legally, the NFL cannot force someone to cut their hair. However, they can force someone to hide their long hair in some way.

The only way someone can legally be forced into cutting their hair is to put it in the player's contract. One example of this is Major League Baseball's New York Yankees. it is put into every Yankee contract that the player must keep a professional look about him. Short hair, no beard just a mustache is allowed. Not doing so can legally void the contract and cause the player financial repercussions.

Right now they can't make them, but if this rule is passed they can say "tuck it or cut it, either way, you can't play if its out."

The NFL holds the right to make any changes to rules that any sanctioned francise MUST follow, regardless of what's in the player's contracts.

EDIT: The vote would be the only way to stop the measure.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Hopefully it won't be passed and troy can continue to wear his long hair outside of his uniform.

rbryan
03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Hopefully Troy isn't like that guy from the bible...you know, once he cut his hair...he was a wuss.

Samson

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
highly doubt this rule passes. It was already determined that hair is part of the uniform if the players want to wear it out, they risk being tackled by it. Crying about a penalty 2 years ago because Johnson was a punk about his tackle is no reason to change the hair rule.

Dumb.

DACEB
03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
In defense of L.J., Troys hair ended up tangled on L.J.'s gloved hand. That is the excuse L.J. gave and Troy appeared fine with it. On the initial reply it looked a little nasty but after the explaination and seeing the replay again it was obvious that was the case.

The rule is silly, but according to reports on concussions long hair can lead to ill fitted helmets and increase the risk of concussions.

SteelerFanInCA
03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
isnt larry johnson and his diapers a uniform code violation?

the chiefs need to stfu. i hope they lose this vote 1-31 and look like whining fools.

The chiefs need to be worrying about who is going to play QB for them and stop worrying about stupid things like people's hair.

What a bunch of whiners.

tony hipchest
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
IN OTHER NEWS-

the nfl is looking into banning the players use of eyeballs. they have determined it is a safety issue as richard seymour/vince wilfork may poke them out.

seriously, this has nothing to do with safety. what is more likely to happen? a player become seriously injured due to being tackled by their hair? or that jackoff roy williams breaking somebodys leg by horsecollaring them again? if the nfl was interrested in safety, they would crack down on the cheap shot artist patriots and existing rules as opposed to creating new bogus ones.

if safety is an issue, ban rodney harrison.

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
unless they compare the Hair Tackle with the Horse Collar tackle, tearing a guy down from behind that way could cause an injury to the knee or ankles...

bet that's how its presented when put up for a vote. So unless you ban a hair tackle, you have to ban the hair.

revefsreleets
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I think they'd run into problems as soon as a player announced that his hair growth was a religious thing. Even the NFL can't fight the ACLU on matters like that. As for tucking though, Troy almost always tucks his hair in his jersey in pregame workouts, so it's not like he's unable to do so.

polamalu82
03-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I think they'd run into problems as soon as a player announced that his hair growth was a religious thing. Even the NFL can't fight the ACLU on matters like that. As for tucking though, Troy almost always tucks his hair in his jersey in pregame workouts, so it's not like he's unable to do so.

I think this is what he'll do if he has to. It's still a bunch of crap.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
It's bull that they're thinking of doing this. Incase they have forgotten, some of these guys have the long hair because it's a custom of their heritage or even where they're from. Don't waste your time Roger.

SteelersMongol
03-25-2008, 02:43 AM
... if the nfl was interrested in safety, they would crack down on the cheap shot artist patriots and existing rules as opposed to creating new bogus ones...

Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. :thumbsup:

tunes4life
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Anyone who witnessed Troy getting thrown down by his hair after the interception last year (I think it was last year) know that having the long hair is penalty enough.

Sorry I don't remember who the game was against although I think it was Dallas.

NJarhead
03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
For the record (and I didn't read every post) I don't believe it's Goodell, but the competition committee. Only a few of them want long hair gone. I doubt it goes anywhere, but we'll see. Their issue was that the hair covered the name on the back of the jersey. *rolls eyes*

I say, "Priorities people!!! Let's set pay scales for rookies and re-examine putting audio in a defenders helmet for crying out loud!" :banging:

faneca05
03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I dont see why everybody is getting on Goodells case about this. It was the chiefs who came up with idea.

Counselor
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Trouble is brewing on the labor front, we've got players in trouble with the law left and right, the "spygate" fiasco is still bubbling and the league is most concerned with hair? Seems like priorities are a bit skewed.

fansince'76
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Trouble is brewing on the labor front, we've got players in trouble with the law left and right, the "spygate" fiasco is still bubbling and the league is most concerned with hair? Seems like priorities are a bit skewed.

Sports imitate life in that respect - much like the government, they raise a bunch of non-issues to legislate to keep from having to deal with the real (not to mention difficult) issues.

tony hipchest
03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
this is obviously not a safety issue. injury due to pulling hair? LMAO. this is football, not ice skating. next thing you know all players will have to get manicures to prevent peeling back a fingernail.

since this is clearly a nameplate issue, troy can shut them all up and just dye or airbrush his name on the back of his hair.

damn, im a genius.

:chuckle:

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
hahaha good call

stillers4me
03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Actually, without the signature mane flowing down his back, he'd probably be able to sneak up better on them. They never know where the heck is going to be as it is, without the hair puts him in "stealth mode."

Damn, now I'm a genius! :tt02:

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I dunno guys Troy wont be the same without his hair!

Hapa
03-30-2008, 07:58 PM
They won't do it.
You can't change a guys anatomy.

SteelersFever
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
this is obviously not a safety issue. injury due to pulling hair? LMAO. this is football, not ice skating. next thing you know all players will have to get manicures to prevent peeling back a fingernail.

since this is clearly a nameplate issue, troy can shut them all up and just dye or airbrush his name on the back of his hair.

damn, im a genius.

:chuckle:

I thought the NFL frowns upon self-promotion so who cares if his nameplate is covered up, his loss. We can all see his number and thats what matters.

I see how it could be a safety issue if he had his hair braided and started whipping it into the facemasks of players. :chuckle:

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Saftey issue come on thats BS there are so many other things that have more of a saftey issues that are of higher importance than hair.