PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin values Pass Rush without blitzing

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Saw a great comment from Coach T on the official site. I hope he finds a pass rusher in the draft that can play on the line.

...anybody who can apply pressure to a quarterback without blitzing has a chance to win any football game. I grew up in this league in that environment, with a front four that could apply pressure to the quarterback, and when you can do that without blitzing, you?re going to be in every football game

http://news.steelers.com/article/86381/

Elvis
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I read this article or Q&A this morning also and I really enjoyed the answers he gave. I would like to see the Steelers use the 4-3 defensive alignment, but right now I dont really think that they have the right players to do so. Its just like everyone else out there that tries to switch to a 3-4 in one season... you just cant do that with just any players. Your DE's must play just like NT's in the 3-4 when in the 4-3 defense your DE's must have the speed and ability to rush the passer. The pressure just comes from different positions in both alignments.

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
...anybody who can apply pressure to a quarterback without blitzing has a chance to win any football game. I grew up in this league in that environment, with a front four that could apply pressure to the quarterback, and when you can do that without blitzing, you?re going to be in every football game

I agree with this 100%

applying pressure without blitzing is exactly how the Giants won the Super Bowl

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 10:31 AM
The Giants did use blitzes though, throughout the entire game.

its just a different scheme, if you have 4 downlinemen and blitz, you're rushing 5, but with a 3-4, a "true" blitz doesn't happen unless you send 2 extra guys to pressure with 5.

Any time you can get pressure with 4 guys, that's a bonus, regardless of scheme.

DACEB
03-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree with this 100%

applying pressure without blitzing is exactly how the Giants won the Super Bowl

Yea, the so called blueprint.

I'm not trying to be demeaning but, isn't this common knowledge. Games are won in the trenches, always have been.

The Giants are the perfect example though with thier matchup with the Pats. Rushing just 4 the majority of the time allowed them to keep the safeties deep while still having a defender for each skill position player on offense. We did a pretty decent job against the Pats, we were just getting to Brady a split second too late. I wouldn't say 4-3 is better at getting pressure than the 3-4, in the 4-3 it's the ends and in the 3-4 it's the OLBs.

Quentin Groves!

DACEB
03-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Any time you can get pressure with 4 guys, that's a bonus, regardless of scheme.

exactly!

PisnNapalm
03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
There was a time when the Steelers had a very potent front 4. They applied massive pressure, got sacks and stuffed the run. They allowed our line backers to blitz or drop into coverage.

Steel Curtain Defense of the 70's anyone? I'd take it.

Dylan
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
that would be nice to see a pass rusher lineman

mastermind1967
03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I think the math is simple. There are 11 defenders, no matter what the position titles say. If you send 3, 4, or 5 people at the QB, it doesn't matter if they don't get there b 4 the ball is thrown. Many 4-3 teams weren't successful and a few 3-4 teams were not successful either. I think the Steelers will be successful no matter what scheme they apply. It is team philosophy on defense that keeps us near the top.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, the only problem is if the Steelers only send 4 that means Smith and Hampton dont get pressure because they are really run stoppers. Keisel has no pass rush moves other than bull into the O lineman and try to block passing lands and Harrison cant be expected to beat LT's often unless there is a blitz.

I would like to see a DE in the 3-4 with some pass rush ability replace Keisel. With Woodley on the other side it effectively becomes a 4-3 if you just rush 4 and gives the fliexibility that a 3-4 normally does.

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
4-3 is a good def to stop the run up in the middle b/c of the 4 d-line.. but the 3-4 u have so many opportunites with the zone blitzing, and basically what u want to run.. the steelers are so successful at the 3-4 b/c we have a very good nt in hampton..

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
The Giants did use blitzes though, throughout the entire game.

They blitzed from time to time but they still got a lot of pressure only rushing the front 4

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
4-3 is a good def to stop the run up in the middle b/c of the 4 d-line.. but the 3-4 u have so many opportunites with the zone blitzing, and basically what u want to run.. the steelers are so successful at the 3-4 b/c we have a very good nt in hampton..

I agree. The only problem is the Steelers need to zone blitz at least 5 defenders to get pressure. They need to be able to get QB pressure with just rushing 4.

Woodley, Smith, Hampton, Keisel cant get much pressure by themselves. Somebody needs to be upgraded on the pass and I think its Keisel.

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
you can't have it both ways though...you can't be the best rush defense in the league for say the last 15 years on average, and also expect to be the best pass rushing defense in the league.

stlrtruck
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
you can't have it both ways though...you can't be the best rush defense in the league for say the last 15 years on average, and also expect to be the best pass rushing defense in the league.

While that may be true, you also can't have sub-average talent in your DBs or it won't matter what type of rush defense you have because no body will be rushing against them. Remember the year when Oakland and the patriots* ran the ball maybe 10 times in games that they blew us out in? That was ridiculous. And it was because the talent level we had at DB couldn't handle the talent level at WR - all the while our front 7 weren't able to get pressure on the QB.

I'd like to see a change in our DBs that allows for a coverage sack every once in awhile. These 10 yard off the L.O.S. on a 3rd and 4 is obsurd. I believe there can be a change in the pass defense without having a huge impact on the rush defense.

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
i think we need to get anb upgrade 4 keisal.. we need a better rusher from that side... and hopefully smith will be back to 100%

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
While that may be true, you also can't have sub-average talent in your DBs or it won't matter what type of rush defense you have because no body will be rushing against them. Remember the year when Oakland and the patriots* ran the ball maybe 10 times in games that they blew us out in? That was ridiculous. And it was because the talent level we had at DB couldn't handle the talent level at WR - all the while our front 7 weren't able to get pressure on the QB.

I'd like to see a change in our DBs that allows for a coverage sack every once in awhile. These 10 yard off the L.O.S. on a 3rd and 4 is obsurd. I believe there can be a change in the pass defense without having a huge impact on the rush defense.

I think the scheme is zone blitz that causes the 10 yards off the ball, it drives me just as nuts and I'd love to see some "shut down" guys, but really more than that, how about just trying bump and run coverage, playing down tight, and not allowing the WR to get that quick slant, yes it opens you up to the deep ball if the rush doesn't get there, but you live and die by it. However, Tomlin is a cover 2 guy and that doesn't really mean "shut down" corners as much as it does, "help over the top" and I'm not sure I want that type of bend dont break defense.

I'd rather balls to the wall attack and if they beat you deep, they beat you deep, so be it. But that's just my style.

steeltheone
03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
You also must remember we have not been able to get a pass rush without sending extra players, hence blitz....This leaves someone open somewhere....Our DB's are not that bad.....when you have no pass rush any defense will look bad.......Haggans was worthless....Foote average at best....and Farrior (not there for the sacks) but is still on the downward slide....We need Timmons and Woodley to step up this year. We need that 23 year old speed at linebacker. Ryan Mcbean also needs to progress on the line. Smith is 32 and Kiesel 30. Our Pass rush was not good at all.

tony hipchest
03-24-2008, 04:03 PM
in other news....

tomlin values interceptions without db's gambling.

19ward86
03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
If we had a Kevin Williams type of guy i would love to see the steelers go to a 4-3, Casey Hampton is amazing but his 5.3 forty time is not great pass rushing speed.

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
hampton is a fat ass and a nt.. did u expect him to run a 4.4???

Galax Steeler
03-25-2008, 04:49 AM
I would love to see us get pressure on the quarterback without blitzing that would let our linebackers play coverage.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 05:29 AM
in other news....

tomlin values interceptions without db's gambling.

...and rushes without fumbles.

Kindjunior
03-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I think Woodley is the solution. We can continue to play the 3-4 and still have an extra player who can put his hand on the ground and get to the QB when necessary. However for all the pressure to work we need two Corners that we can leave on an island and a decent FS that can help out while Troy does his buisness in the box.

Jr

stlrtruck
03-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I think the scheme is zone blitz that causes the 10 yards off the ball, it drives me just as nuts and I'd love to see some "shut down" guys, but really more than that, how about just trying bump and run coverage, playing down tight, and not allowing the WR to get that quick slant, yes it opens you up to the deep ball if the rush doesn't get there, but you live and die by it. However, Tomlin is a cover 2 guy and that doesn't really mean "shut down" corners as much as it does, "help over the top" and I'm not sure I want that type of bend dont break defense.

I'd rather balls to the wall attack and if they beat you deep, they beat you deep, so be it. But that's just my style.

The problem with the Tampa 2 is that it's built on speedy receivers moving forward (i.e. coming up to attack the ball). If the LBs aren't good at coverage, it leaves a cushion at about 10-15 yards down field which the DBs then have to cover and be able to open field tackle (something we've had problems with before. It also opens up the over top for the speedy WRs which, as you stated, opens up the long ball. However, the reason it becomes successful is that the front 4 are strong, athletic, and speedy and can get to the QB without utilizing the blitz package every time.

I don't mind the balls to the wall attack - I like that style of defense more frequent than not. But I also like the idea of just not always doing what people find you predicated to do.

Dino 6 Rings
03-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Good point, if they know you're always attacking the offense can adjust. But I like the way Dick L calls our Defense, so for me it works. The Tampa 2 is kind of boring to me, and although the Steel Curtain of the 70s had a 4 man front...those were HOF players lead by one of the best D-linemen to ever play the game. I doubt we'll be drafting Mean Joe Greene this year, so sticking with a style we already have on roster and keeping our in your face, you can't run on us defense is the way I'd prefer it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
The 2-deep or Tampa-2 defense is based upon having 2 deep safety coverage which takes away the long ball and keeps everything in front of the DB's. Thats why when scouts say "he's more of a cover 2 corner" because a guy runs a 4.5 or slower.

Slower CB's playing zone coverage where they always have help over the the top from a safety on the deep ball and rarely leaving a CB on an island with a WR. Smaller, faster LB's in coverage who can run down plays and a big pass rush from your DE's and 2 big DT's plugging up the middle.

Its a bend but down break defensive style that I really dont like either, but getting a pass rush from the front 4 without blitzing is a great thing. I hope the steelers dont go tampa 2, but please get somebody that can collapse the pocket!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
but again, if all you focus on is collapsing the pocket, the other team can run the ball. How many of us were shaking our heads when the Patriots O-coordinator Refused to run the ball in the SB. Seriously, had he gone to the double tightend set that he used against the Chargers and the Jags somewhat and just ran at the giants, the d-line wouldn't have been able to go balls to the wall to the QB.

Instead, and this is according to a lot of Pats Forum posts I've read, the guy let his ego get to him and refused to adjust at half time. There are reports that Brady asked to adjust and his response was, "we aren't changing a thing"

Bad idea. Giants never felt threatened by the run, and everyone knows, the way to attack a pass rush, is to run right at it.

DACEB
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I would like to see a DE in the 3-4 with some pass rush ability replace Keisel. With Woodley on the other side it effectively becomes a 4-3 if you just rush 4 and gives the fliexibility that a 3-4 normally does.

Problem is that type of player is rare. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking maybe a guy like Reggie White could have played 3-4 DE, still handle double teams and still provide a great pass rush.

If you recall in 2005, Keisel was the guy that came in on 3rd down to spell Kimo and did a very good job pass rushing. Now Keisel plays every down, and IMO doesn't have the juice left in the tank (and also a little heavier) to provide the same type of pass rush. The team absolutely needs someone to come in and help out Keisel, and the pass rush, like Keisel did prior to becoming the starter.

The other problem I see with our pass rush is Hampton. Hampton has not been commanding double teams like he used to, and that is a huge problem. In our scheme the NT has to take up at least two O-linemen. When he doesn't that puts a huge strain on the rest of the front 7, not allowing others to come free. Hampton doesn't need to get to the QB to do his job, he needs to occupy blockers.

IMO, we need some big bodied youth behind Hampton and the DEs that can play in our scheme and still provide a little more giddyup for the pass rush in obvious passing situations.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
but again, if all you focus on is collapsing the pocket, the other team can run the ball. . A guy like Kimo VonOlhoffen was relentless at getting upfield, had a devastating club move and rip move. He was also a great run defender. Chris Canty was drafted on day 2 and we could have drafted him then.

I'm not saying a sack machine is needed at the DE position, but a guy that gets upfield and disrupts the pocket so the QB needs to reset his feet is golden in the 3-4. When the QB is uneasy, gets happy feet and stops looking downfield is when those OLB's get the sacks caused by the pocket collapsing.

Keisel just runs into the O-line and is absorbed by the blocker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Problem is that type of player is rare. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking maybe a guy like Reggie White could have played 3-4 DE, still handle double teams and still provide a great pass rush.

If you recall in 2005, Keisel was the guy that came in on 3rd down to spell Kimo and did a very good job pass rushing. Now Keisel plays every down, and IMO doesn't have the juice left in the tank (and also a little heavier) to provide the same type of pass rush. The team absolutely needs someone to come in and help out Keisel, and the pass rush, like Keisel did prior to becoming the starter.

The other problem I see with our pass rush is Hampton. Hampton has not been commanding double teams like he used to, and that is a huge problem. In our scheme the NT has to take up at least two O-linemen. When he doesn't that puts a huge strain on the rest of the front 7, not allowing others to come free. Hampton doesn't need to get to the QB to do his job, he needs to occupy blockers.

IMO, we need some big bodied youth behind Hampton and the DEs that can play in our scheme and still provide a little more giddyup for the pass rush in obvious passing situations.

Like I said, we dont need that special athlete, just another DE that gets upfield and makes thinks happen like Kimo or Orpheus Roye used to do. Smith is fine, but Keisel has not worked out. As far as Hampton, I think you are right that he needs some youth pushing him and he needs to mix in a salad or 2. I think when he got his sack in the SB XL it was the first in 2 seasons and he comes out on passing downs mostly, so I am not as concerned with his rush ability.

The main problem is the past few seasons the Steelers need to send AT LEAST 5 guys to get any rush, then the DB's are giving up receptions. Then everybody says..."We Need a Better CB", when all we need is a better rush coming from 4 guys.

lilyoder6
03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
maybe hampton and najah can go on a weight reduction workout to become faster lol... i think our def is very good since the past couple of yrs we been in the top 5 in like evry spot except 4 passing which is like top 15/20

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
maybe hampton and najah can go on a weight reduction workout to become faster lol... i think our def is very good since the past couple of yrs we been in the top 5 in like evry spot except 4 passing which is like top 15/20

Yes, we have had a highly ranked defense for several years....but the problem always seems to be the pass defense and being able to stop other teams on 3rd down. I think its the lack of pass rush, .....but what do I really know.

Midnightwriter7
03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I just think our corners are not very good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
I just think our corners are not very good.

Nick Harper and Jason David are corners that are not very good.

Robert Mathis, Anthony McFarland and Dwight Freeney made them look good!!

steeltheone
03-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Very good observation!

stlrtruck
03-25-2008, 11:21 AM
The 2-deep or Tampa-2 defense is based upon having 2 deep safety coverage which takes away the long ball and keeps everything in front of the DB's. Thats why when scouts say "he's more of a cover 2 corner" because a guy runs a 4.5 or slower.

Slower CB's playing zone coverage where they always have help over the the top from a safety on the deep ball and rarely leaving a CB on an island with a WR. Smaller, faster LB's in coverage who can run down plays and a big pass rush from your DE's and 2 big DT's plugging up the middle.

Its a bend but down break defensive style that I really dont like either, but getting a pass rush from the front 4 without blitzing is a great thing. I hope the steelers dont go tampa 2, but please get somebody that can collapse the pocket!!!!

The Tampa 2 protects the long ball as long as the DBs are diligent in their assignments. Usually, the long ball can be had against the Tampa 2 with one, if not both, of the following - consistent running game and/or short (15-20 yard) passing game. This, usually, pulls the DBs up and has them more aggressive to stop those gains and then it can open up the deep ball (I've seen it work against the bucs many times).

The other thing to remember is that the Tampa 2 is based on speed. Which I believe you're starting to see that trend in our defense. The problem with our defense seems to be tackling - solve that problem and you solve a lot.

Dino 6 Rings
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Also, a Tampa 2 is very vulnerable to the Receiving Tight End. Gonzales, Gates, Brady, made a living eating up the Tampa 2 style defenses. If your safeties are "over the top" that puts your LB 1 on 1 with the TE, which is fine, if the guy isn't a stud. And in today's game, our own team drafting Miller as a first rounder, the TE is very important for receiving. So the Tampa 2 may have gone the way of the 46.

Tackling...that's a good point. If you allow yards after the catch you will lose in today's NFL.

DACEB
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes, we have had a highly ranked defense for several years....but the problem always seems to be the pass defense and being able to stop other teams on 3rd down. I think its the lack of pass rush, .....but what do I really know.

You're absolutely right Gonzo. On 3rd down, especially 3rd and long or late in games, the defense plays back or vanilla. That is when the pass rush is completely non-existent. The good news is Woodley seems, although a tad undersized, to have displayed the ability to put his hand on the ground and rush the passer. My worry is that with Woodley starting, who will spell him and will he have the same juice (on 3rd down) that he displayed last season in situational roles.

Quentin Groves

stlrtruck
03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
The good news is Woodley seems, although a tad undersized, to have displayed the ability to put his hand on the ground and rush the passer. My worry is that with Woodley starting, who will spell him and will he have the same juice (on 3rd down) that he displayed last season in situational roles.

Quentin Groves

Yeah, we use to have another LB that was undersized! He turned out alright.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Woodley undersized??? The guy is something like 265 while only 6-1. He is solid and I am happy he is a Steeler.

DACEB
03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I know, 265lbs = undersized?

I meant when lining up in a 4-man line, he's a tad undersized when compared to a traditional 4-3DE. But he definetely has the ability to rush the QB in that situation.

And really he should be down from 265, to around 255 to drop back in coverage.

bratsinmybelly
03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
You're absolutely right Gonzo. On 3rd down, especially 3rd and long or late in games, the defense plays back or vanilla. That is when the pass rush is completely non-existent. The good news is Woodley seems, although a tad undersized, to have displayed the ability to put his hand on the ground and rush the passer. My worry is that with Woodley starting, who will spell him and will he have the same juice (on 3rd down) that he displayed last season in situational roles.

Quentin Groves

Couldn't agree more. It's always frustrating to watch our defense when they get "conservative". I think back to the Colts playoff game and remember utter domination until the last couple of drives when we couldn't seem to stop anything. I've seen that scenario many, many times. It almost seems as if we get cautious when we find ourselves in a close game near the end. I've always wondered if the head coach had anything to do with that. It's almost as if they say "OK the game is on the line, let me get uber-involved with the play calling". and then he proceeds to "coach" the game right out from under us. We always seem to have more success when we pin our ears back and go. I hope we keep the 3-4 for now. It's given us many years of thrills and brought our team many victories. I can't imagine teaching an old dog like LeBeau new tricks at this point.

As for Woodley, I'm confident that he can handle the starting job without losing any intensity. Heck, maybe Haggans can spell him! :wink02:

OX1947
03-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Lets hope Tomlin values going for the first down when his team is up by one point with the other team having all its timeouts and the 2 min warning, knowing that the Steelers special teams blew dog and couldn't cover me returning the punts.....

Galax Steeler
03-26-2008, 03:39 AM
I believe woodley can come in and make an impact this year given what little time he played last year he has shown alot of potential.

fansince'76
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Lets hope Tomlin values going for the first down when his team is up by one point with the other team having all its timeouts and the 2 min warning, knowing that the Steelers special teams blew dog and couldn't cover me returning the punts.....

Wow, a time warp - I haven't seen anybody bitch about "3rd-and-6" in over 2? months. All that's missing now is a fresh thread or two about what an idiot Arians is, and we're back in late December/early January again.

Get over it already. :coffee:

drew102e
03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
to be fair

i'm still mad at neil odonell for that last int in SB XXX

DACEB
03-26-2008, 09:09 AM
to be fair

Thanks, you just ruined my day!!:wink02:

lilyoder6
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
fox could come in to spell woodly if need be... he's a decent player.. and timmons could come in and spell players ant any lb pos really.. but groves would be a nice addition

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
to be fair

Really? ok, then

I'm still mad at Bubby Brister for fumbling the effing snap against Denver during the playoffs while Hoge was having the freaking game of his life.

To be fair. I'm still pssed at Neil for missing on 4th and Goal against the Chargers in the AFC title game. I'm still pssed at Kordell...for ruining 3 years of my football fandom.

I think we shoud focus on the Tomlin theory on Pass Rushing.

:poke:

:offtopic:

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=DACEB;380372]I know, 265lbs = undersized?

I meant when lining up in a 4-man line, he's a tad undersized when compared to a traditional 4-3DE. But he definetely has the ability to rush the QB in that situation.

And really he should be down from 265, to around 255 to drop back in coverage.[/QUOTE
]DWIGHT FREENY IS LISTED AT 6-1 / 268 LBS
gaines adams...........258 lbs
jevon kearse...............265 lbs
micheal strahan.........255 lbs
jason taylor..................255 lbs

DACEB
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Alright M.O.P., point taken. That is a sceptical list right there though. Freeney is labeled as undersized. Taylor is and Adams could be a hybrid DE/OLB. Kearse was known as 'the freak' and Strahan is special.

Like I said, point taken. I'll leave you with this, like my wife always tells me; "you know what I mean!"

If my memory serves me correct, I believe the staff wants Woodley below 260lbs. to play OLB.

Quentin Groves

OneForTheToe
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Tomlin also apparently values QB's who throw into double coverage only when the pass won't be picked off. And running backs who only fumble when our team recovers said fumble.

Jeremy
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
I grew up in this league in that environment, with a front four that could apply pressure to the quarterback,

If you still don't believe that's where we're going, you're blind.

DACEB
03-27-2008, 08:04 AM
If you still don't believe that's where we're going, you're blind.

Your absolutely right, that's where we're going. But, I don't think Tomlin is in a rush to get there. What I mean is, Tomlin wants to win NOW. I don't believe he will make a move that will put the team in a vunerable situation. I think he values both systems and is slowly piecing together the type of players he values.

Dino 6 Rings
03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree, yes Tomlin has the base philosophy of Tampa 2, but a true Tampa 2 is no longer viable in today's NFL, not with the wide open spread style passing game. 2 safeties can't sit back in today's game. You need one mobile run stuffing and short yardage coverage safety and an over the top style double team safety. As for 3/4 vs 4/3, the talent on the field dictates the current scheme, if in 3 years, our talent allows for a 4 man front, yes he'll switch us to that eventually, but then again, more and more winning teams are installing 3/4 - 4/3 hybrids that change from situation to situation. Thats the future, not a Tampa 2.

my eyes are wide open.