PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock #1

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807619d5&template=with-video&confirm=true

i like his the best cause of his experience as a scout and as a gm in the war room. there is probably nobody who does more comprehensive research, 100's of interviews and attending all senior bowl practices.

With the draft just over a month away, it appears there could be quite a bit of movement in the first round.

A number of teams are looking for a limited amount of talent at a few key positions. With that in mind, I've decided to incorporate trades in my first mock draft. :danceshout:

Considering there is no true franchise quarterback in a Peyton Manning mold, it might be difficult for the Dolphins to move out of the top spot. If there are going to be any deals, things should start to heat up after the top three selections.

As for the Dolphins, I might be pushing for a pre-draft contract with my selection because at least three of the top six players would also meet their pressing needs.

In this version, there will not be a center, fullback, or even a true guard taken in the first round. Depth at corner, offensive tackle and defensive end will make for a run at those positions

15. Detroit Lions
Branden Albert :jawdrop:
OL, Virginia Although the Lions want to run the ball more, they have to protect the quarterback better or the offense will suffer. I have done a lot of research on Albert and he is emerging as a left tackle candidate who can play guard or right tackle. George Foster is not the answer. The Lions will find a solid back in the second round.

:dang:

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College I interviewed Cherilus recently and after a half hour of talking with him my conclusion was he's a Steeler. Cherilus is still learning the game after moving to the United States from Haiti his sophomore year in high school, but he's tough, nasty and loves the physical part of the game

There will be an updated first-round mock draft every week leading up to the April 26-27 selection process. There could be some radical changes as I speak with people around the league and factor in the late pro days.

Players currently outside of the first round who might break in next week include Devin Thomas, Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham, Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Early Doucet, Sam Baker.

he has jets and raiders trading, pats and saints, and vikings and eagles. chris long #1 to dolphins

Galax Steeler
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I hope he is wrong with our first round pick I just don't like the gosder pick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807619d5&template=with-video&confirm=true

i like his the best cause of his experience as a scout and as a gm in the war room. there is probably nobody who does more comprehensive research, 100's of interviews and attending all senior bowl practices.

:dang:

he has jets and raiders trading, pats and saints, and vikings and eagles. chris long #1 to dolphins

I Like Kirwan...but would rather grab Benedict than Cherilus. I also think that Manningham will be back in the 1st round by the time of the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
After seeing Cherilus in the Senior Bowl I really didnt like his ability to deal with speed pass rushers. I strictly saw him as a RT that would have trouble with speed.

He still is strictly a RT, but I believe he as the physical ability to improve and be able to handle the faster guys....I never doubted that he is a mauler and I like that.

I would not have a problem with him being drafted, but is #23 too high to be picking a RT??? It just means that either Smith or Starks will be the future at LT for a few more seasons.

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I would not have a problem with him being drafted, but is #23 too high to be picking a RT??? It just means that either Smith or Starks will be the future at LT for a few more seasons. it seems like a reach based on need. like i said in another post, i dont wanna see the steelers spend their #1 pick on the 4th or 5th ranked player at any position. if thats the case, i'd just as soon see them take the BPA regardless of position. k. rivers?

if it were between the 5th or 6th best lineman or the #2 wr, i might even lean towards a wr, and i hate the idea of taking another wr in the 1st round.

b. alberts steady climb up the draft boards from the 2nd round is reminding me alot of the same climb justin harrel made last year when he went to the packers. a head scratcher then that proved to be good value and allowed them flexibility and the opportunity to let a good player go and save some cash too.

Dylan
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
brandon albert at 15? i think he would kinda be a reach for us at 23

polamalu82
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't like Cherilus at #23. Also, he has Mike Jenkins falling out of the first. He's right below Leodis Mcekelvin on most boards. I think Mike Jenkins will be either the second or third CB off the board. Then he has Denver taking Dan Conner with Williams still available. I'm not a fan of this mock.

millwalldavey
03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Cherilus is a talent, but i think he may be a lot more BC program hype than that early of a pick.

DACEB
03-26-2008, 07:18 AM
First off, let's get one thing straight. The team was going to pick the 5th or 6th O-lineman in the draft the whole time. Now there have been questions or assumptions as to who that might be, but we've known the whole time that would be the case.

Before the news of Alberts intangibles and his rise up the boards, Cherilus was looking to be the O-lineman that would be available at 23. So nothing has really changed, except that many fell in love with Albert.

Cherilus was my pick (for O-line) before Albert made his meteoric rise. I would choose Albert over Cherilus, just like I would choose Groves over Cherilus. But with O-line being the need that it is, the team may choose to take the BA O-lineman and that could be Cherilus.

As far as the mock, I don't like it. I think Kirwan, just like many others, is off with quite a few picks. I don't see Groves going to any team other than a team that runs the 3-4. I don't see James Hardy being picked that high either. Time will tell.

On a side note, I look for Clady to fall down the board.

MDSteel15
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
First off, let's get one thing straight. The team was going to pick the 5th or 6th O-lineman in the draft the whole time. Now there have been questions or assumptions as to who that might be, but we've known the whole time that would be the case.

Before the news of Alberts intangibles and his rise up the boards, Cherilus was looking to be the O-lineman that would be available at 23. So nothing has really changed, except that many fell in love with Albert.

Cherilus was my pick (for O-line) before Albert made his meteoric rise. I would choose Albert over Cherilus, just like I would choose Groves over Cherilus. But with O-line being the need that it is, the team may choose to take the BA O-lineman and that could be Cherilus.

As far as the mock, I don't like it. I think Kirwan, just like many others, is off with quite a few picks. I don't see Groves going to any team other than a team that runs the 3-4. I don't see James Hardy being picked that high either. Time will tell.

Wow! A voice of reason.... :thumbsup:

The Duke
03-27-2008, 08:44 PM

really? I was believing it till I saw the packers pick.....

30. Green Bay Packers
Brian Brohm :dang:
QB, Louisville The Packers could take a corner for the future at this point or even tight end Fred Davis. However, if you're thinking future, Brohm hedges the bet on Aaron Rodgers to replace Brett Favre.

even if rodgers is not the future (and I think he is) the packers won't be stupid enough to draft a QB in the first round

for the steelers I guess Cherilus is fine. I heard he was a monster lineman:thumbsup: we could use that

tony hipchest
03-27-2008, 09:32 PM
really? I was believing it till I saw the packers pick.....

:sofunny:

yeah, everyone said the same thing last year when he had the packers picking justin harrell at 15. :rolleyes:

off the top of your head... name 3 qb's on the packers roster,

name a glaring area of need...

name the qb who was considered a top 5 pick last season (had he declared), who didnt do to bad this season, considering new coach/system.

kirwan may be wrong on the actual pick, but his thinking isnt.

19ward86
03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
who sucks??? kirwan sucks!!!

MasterOfPuppets
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
:sofunny:

yeah, everyone said the same thing last year when he had the packers picking justin harrell at 15. :rolleyes:

off the top of your head... name 3 qb's on the packers roster,

name the qb who was considered a top 5 pick last season (had he declared), who didnt do to bad this season, considering new coach/system.

kirwan may be wrong on the actual pick, but his thinking isnt.i'm not so sure....how many years and drafts now has farve kept the packers in limbo with his retirement decision ??? they haven't panicked and pulled the trigger yet on a qb, so why this year? they've had years to groom and evaluate rodgers, and if they didn't have confidence in him, i'd think they would have had plan B already on the roster. i'm sure they'll snag a qb this year, i just don't see them burning a 1 st round pick on one.

they have a 32 & 34 yr old cornerbacks ......i'd say thats kinda glaring...:hunch:

tony hipchest
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
i'm not so sure....how many years and drafts now has farve kept the packers in limbo with his retirement decision ??? they haven't panicked and pulled the trigger yet on a qb, so why this year? they've had years to groom and evaluate rodgers, and if they didn't have confidence in him, i'd think they would have had plan B already on the roster. i'm sure they'll snag a qb this year, i just don't see them burning a 1 st round pick on one.

they have a 32 & 34 yr old cornerbacks ......i'd say thats kinda glaring...:hunch:maybe its like getting a divorce after 16 years. you may have a nice new girlfriend but still feel the urge to nail each piece of fine tail that crosses your path. :hunch:

damn, are woodson and harris really that old? going for the 5th-7th best cb at the end of the 1st round may still be a bit of a reach though.

maybe they just go BPA.

Elvis
03-28-2008, 07:01 PM
I hope he is wrong with our first round pick I just don't like the gosder pick.
Well, galax... the guy is a monster in the running game and he looked pretty awesome against the top tier DE's and DT's at the Senior Bowl. I would not mind him being our number 1 pick at all come april.
:computer:

MasterOfPuppets
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
maybe its like getting a divorce after 16 years. you may have a nice new girlfriend but still feel the urge to nail each piece of fine tail that crosses your path. :hunch:

damn, are woodson and harris really that old? going for the 5th-7th best cb at the end of the 1st round may still be a bit of a reach though.

maybe they just go BPA.lol....most guys get divorced after 16 yrs ,because ,they gave into the urge to nail each piece of fine tail that crosses your path .....:wink02:

wasn't it harris that got beat like a drum by burress in the nfc championship game ?:

did GB shitcan bubba franks ? they could be lookin for a new TE....

The Duke
03-29-2008, 01:28 AM
did GB shitcan bubba franks ? they could be lookin for a new TE....

they got donald lee, and he's pretty good.

#1 need is definitely CB. harris and woodson are great but they need something more, and something for the future

I'd actually be shocked if they draft something other than a CB this year

tony hipchest
04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
who sucks??? kirwan sucks!!! :nerd:

:stupid:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80780515&template=with-video&confirm=true

Mock draft 2.0: Gholston is the new No. 1

It's amazing what one or two twists at the top of the draft can do to the rest of the first round. This week, there is a legitimate twist at the very top and it changes much of the top 10 picks. Also, there are still some important pro days to come -- as well as medical information that can lead a player to rise or fall. The USC pro day is April 2, and it will affect the first round with as many as four players possibly causing a ripple effect. (Note: Don't put to much credence into which head coaches or GMs are in attendance at a workout as a clue to the team's interest in a prospect.)

This week, I am in attendance at the NFL owners' meetings and will have a chance to sit down with a number of NFL decision-makers and get a feel for what they are thinking about as they start to close in on the first-round talent. The first GM I ran into in the lobby of the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, Fla., didn't want to discuss his pick specifically but he had some strong opinions about how the first-round talent might peel off most draft boards. Keep in mind that between the 32 teams there are probably 45 different players with first-round grades which makes mock drafts very volatile.

Does the idea that Bill Belichick worked out one corner but not another mean he likes one over another? Is the medical situation surrounding Deuce McAllister changing the Saints' draft plans? Did Brian Brohm's 4.6 forty time at his personal workout change his status? Are Malcolm Kelly's knees injured enough to drop him from the first round until he runs for the scouts? Can Buffalo commit to help the offense when the run defense was ranked 25th last season?

9. New England Patriots (Projected trade with Cincinnati)
Branden Albert
G, Virginia :jawdrop:

Don't be surprised to see the Patriots look at their offensive line for two reasons. One, they gave up a lot of sacks and pressures in the Super Bowl; and two, Belichick has taken many big offensive linemen with his first-round picks. Albert can play guard or tackle. The Patriots did not sign any significant talent to help the offensive line so far in free agency.

Previous mock pick: Derrick Harvey (Bengals' pick) :banging::banging::banging:

14. Chicago Bears
Jeff Otah
OT, Pittsburgh :dang:
The Bears offensive line problems are easy to see. Otah can be plugged in at right tackle. He is raw and doesn't have a lot of experience but his upside makes him a good pick at this spot.

Previous mock pick: Rashard Mendenhall

Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College
Cherilus is a very physical player who is a better fit at right tackle, but has played left tackle. He has a "Steelers attitude" when he plays the game.

Previous mock pick: Gosder Cherilus

i still think the packers taking brohm could yield immense value. at the end of this season the packers have to make a choice to give rogers "schaub, romo, or gerrard" type money, or risk losing him to free agency after the following season. they traded the guy justin harrell replaced for a 2nd round pick and saved tons of cash.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
PFW just came out with their new mock (cant link due to it being prescription only)...They also have Otah going to Chicago...and they have Albert going to the Eagles at #19.

at #23....To the Steelers.....PFW has....Gosder Cherilus.

I am beginning to see a trend.

one side only
04-01-2008, 01:48 PM

I don't think the selection of an offensive lineman is a foregone conclusion. The Starks situation remains a question mark and its outcome will go a long way in determining who the Steelers pick. I think they want to sign him at a reasonable amount, and if they do so, they might not pick a lineman first. In fact, I'm not convinced they will pick one anyway.

DACEB
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't think the selection of an offensive lineman is a foregone conclusion. The Starks situation remains a question mark and its outcome will go a long way in determining who the Steelers pick. I think they want to sign him at a reasonable amount, and if they do so, they might not pick a lineman first. In fact, I'm not convinced they will pick one anyway.

I hope not because I really want Groves, but more than likely it will be O-line.

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
gosder is definitely not worth a first round pick... especially @ 23... i'd take phillips or talib over cherilus

tony hipchest
04-04-2008, 10:34 AM
i wonder if mel kiper gets this type of access or facetime-

Emptying the notebook

1. Monday night at the owners meetings is a time that the NFL executives, head coaches and their families mingle with the media people at a big reception. I sat down for dinner with Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin, his wife and two children, along with Raiders executive Amy Trask. I got the feeling things are running a lot smoother for the young coach as he heads into his second season.

2. I asked Detroit head coach Rod Marinelli to play some golf Tuesday morning and he looked at me like I had two heads. I don't think Marinelli allocates much time to anything but football.

3. After dinner Tuesday, I ran into Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel and his wife. After congratulating him on his contract extension, we got down to talking about his football team. He loves the chemistry right now and he believes Shaun Rogers is going to be excited about playing in his defense. Crennel will get the best out of Rogers and if he does, watch out for the Browns. Coach had a big smile on his face the whole time we talked about the 2008 season.

4. I was surprised how many head coaches came up to me and said they listen every Friday to "Moving the Chains," my radio show on Sirius with Tim Ryan, and follow the mock draft Tim and I have been doing on air. Marty Hurney, GM of the Panthers, said he listened all the way into his driveway on the way home, just waiting to see who his team got in the draft.

5. Three prominent agents approached me at the owners meetings reception and voiced their opinion that Bill Parcells will be looking for a pre-draft deal before selecting the player at the top of the draft. He probably has enough talent to choose from that the player who takes the deal could be the choice.

6. Look for the 49ers to take an offensive tackle and an inside linebacker in the first two rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8077f2ee&template=with-video&confirm=true

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, galax... the guy is a monster in the running game and he looked pretty awesome against the top tier DE's and DT's at the Senior Bowl. I would not mind him being our number 1 pick at all come april.

Actually he looked good if they tried to bull rush him, but he got repeatedly beat by guys that made him move his feet. Not a great pass blocker, watch the BC clips of #77 blocking for Matt Ryan....they guy is heavy footed.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome. Cherilus now needs a big combine to preserve being a first-round choice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/24/risers.sliders/1.html

Kirwin goes onto say that Cherilus has lots of experience playing LT. He only played there this season and it wasnt a great transition.

After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position. ...With his limited change-of-direction agility, along with a solid reputation as a mauler for the ground game, Cherilus would welcome a return to right tackle at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/gosder-cherilus?id=210

I like Kirwin, but his assessment of Cherilus at a LT is wrong. I dont mind the Cherilus pick either, but believe he is a RT only and #23 might be a bit high for a RT, but he will be gone at the top of the 2nd, so better to trade back or draft D line.

Go Heels!!

DACEB
04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
gosder is definitely not worth a first round pick... especially @ 23... i'd take phillips or talib over cherilus

I agree, there's a number of guys I'd take in the 1st over Cherilus, Groves being my first choice.

I think Phillips is a good choice if available, and obviously your favorite. Problem with Phillips is where he went to school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the team has been reluctant in the past to draft any player from Miami (Fla) in the 1st.

DACEB
04-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Cherilus looked good if they tried to bull rush him, but he got repeatedly beat by guys that made him move his feet. Not a great pass blocker, watch the BC clips of #77 blocking for Matt Ryan....they guy is heavy footed.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome.

Kirwin goes onto say that Cherilus has lots of experience playing LT. He only played there this season and it wasnt a great transition.

After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position. ...With his limited change-of-direction agility, along with a solid reputation as a mauler for the ground game, Cherilus would welcome a return to right tackle at the next level.

I like Kirwin, but his assessment of Cherilus at a LT is wrong. I dont mind the Cherilus pick either, but believe he is a RT only and #23 might be a bit high for a RT, but he will be gone at the top of the 2nd, so better to trade back or draft D line.

Problem with Cherilus, at least to me, he seems to be like a Starks clone. All of those negatives you described Gonzo, sound like Starks. At this point, do we even want to spend a 2nd on Cherilus if indeed he is a clone of Starks. Who knows though, Starks could move to LT and flourish and Cherilus could excel back at right.

As much as I like Groves, I truly hope Albert is available when we pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Problem with Cherilus, at least to me, he seems to be like a Starks clone. All of those negatives you described Gonzo, sound like Starks. At this point, do we even want to spend a 2nd on Cherilus if indeed he is a clone of Starks. Who knows though, Starks could move to LT and flourish and Cherilus could excel back at right.

Yes!! I was thinking that Cherilus seems like Starks in the way he would have trouble with speed guys as well.

The difference is that Starks was seen as being a huge guy, with decent footwork, but the question was if he was gonna be a powerful run blocker. Cherilus is thought of as a great run blocker, but a guy with heavy feet that nobody is sure he can pass protect.

I was thinking that Cherilus could be a good RT and use his size and long arms along with some improved technique to be a better pass blocker.....but who knows if he will...or just be a matador on the right side?

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes!! I was thinking that Cherilus seems like Starks in the way he would have trouble with speed guys as well.

The difference is that Starks was seen as being a huge guy, with decent footwork, but the question was if he was gonna be a powerful run blocker. Cherilus is thought of as a great run blocker, but a guy with heavy feet that nobody is sure he can pass protect.

I was thinking that Cherilus could be a good RT and use his size and long arms along with some improved technique to be a better pass blocker.....but who knows if he will...or just be a matador on the right side?
i think that was the plan for starks as well......we know how that one worked out...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
i think that was the plan for starks as well......we know how that one worked out...

Starks was a big guy that played LT in front of Rex Grossman in Florida (and I think Danny Weurffel) that was a good pass protector, but the question on him was if he would be a good run blocker. He showed some aggression in the senior bowl and ended up a 3rd round pick. I still dont see him as a great run blocker though.

Chris Williams is the same IMO. A guy that is a better pass protector and athlete than Starks was , but again a questionmark as a run blocker, but showed some aggression in Mobile, Ala because the scouts were watching.

Its why I dont think Williams is a good fit for the Steelers and Cherilus at least is a mauler as a RT, that has the tools and potential to hold his own in pass protection. At the worst, he is Max Starks as a RT, but a better pure run blocker.

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 08:03 AM

I'm not saying that he isn't worth a no.1 pick for us but there is a couple more players that I would rather have before him.:cheers:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Mayock has Cherilus going to the steelers in the first. I dont mind it that much, as he can probably contribute as a long term starting RT, but somehow I think #23 is a bit too high to spend on a guy that cant play LT. Then again, its normally the range that guys start looking at starting OG's.

I'd rather try and trade down and get 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd if possible.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, Mayock has Cherilus going to the steelers in the first. I dont mind it that much, as he can probably contribute as a long term starting RT, but somehow I think #23 is a bit too high to spend on a guy that cant play LT. Then again, its normally the range that guys start looking at starting OG's.

I'd rather try and trade down and get 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd if possible.

Do you think that we might actually trade down.

tony hipchest
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=D5D0CB96C28163F700132F2CA73D9F33? id=09000d5d807a1d8e&template=with-video&confirm=true

Last week's NFL Annual Meeting provided the opportunity to talk with coaches and front office executives about their feelings concerning the draft. No clubs are going to disclose their final intentions but they will give their opinions about the talent, depth, and risks in the draft.

I spent this past week watching a lot of game tapes and studying team needs now that free agency is starting to slow down. Most pro days are over, yet a few personal workouts remain, as well as some medical rechecks.

Any change at the top of the first round can have a ripple effect all the way through the round. I still have 30 of last week's 31 players in the first round but as we get deeper into April there is always more pressure to take a quarterback if your team needs one. Watch what happens to the first round if Atlanta comes to the conclusion Matt Ryan is the best option for the most important position. This latest mock draft has six teams changing their pick but staying at the same position and another 11 teams going in a different direction altogether. After each pick in the first round, I will categorize the selection in one of the following categories: (S) Safe pick, (Ri) risk pick, (B) bargain at this point, (Re) reach at this point, (N=G) need equals grade.

Next week I will add the second-round selection based on the first-round selection.:danceshout:

pretty cool added twist to this weeks mock with the categories. this week is less off the wall than 2.0 with chris long going #1 and v. gholston going #4 to the raiders.

and now the 2nd mock ive seen with b. albert going #7 to the patriots. :dang: (im sure if LITP were still around, he would posturize how he hated this pick)

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College The Steelers need offensive linemen. Cherilus played left tackle at B.C. but will move to right tackle when he joins the Steelers. I have interviewed over 100 players in this draft and this guy is more like a Steeler than anyone else I spoke with this winter and spring. (N=G)

q. groves to jax, and i still like the b. brohm to green bay prediction.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Do you think that we might actually trade down.

Unless there is a guy at #23 that they really love, I dont see why trading down to the top of the 2nd could not happen, but you need 2 to tango, so somebody will have to want #23.

I see a lot of teams like KC and Atlanta wanting O line and QB. Maybe the Jets wanting RB, QB. I also seem some teams coveting Brohm with a late round 1 grade and the Depth of this O line class has been well documented.

Here is a scenario that I like. Trade our 1st with the Chiefs 2nd and 3rd, so the Chiefs can draft OT and Brohm in the 1st. Steelers can then draft an OT like Anthony Colins in the 2nd and still have 3 more picks in round 2 and 3 to draft DT, CB, WR.

tony hipchest
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
with recent douchbaggery from kelly and manningham, the wr class drops as a whole. miami and atlanta pass on ryan and select henne and flacco with 2 of the 1st 3 second round picks. baltimore must feel happy if they land ryan and aqib talib. and for not much more than showing deion branch the door and passing on joe staley, the patriots land branden albert (which to them, must look like a steal). im sure they will trade the man he replaces for a 1st round pick and clear cap room in the process. :rolleyes: :dang:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807c192b&template=with-video&confirm=true

As the draft aproaches, there are more changes in the first round of my latest mock draft. We witnessed a few players admitting to failed drug tests, another player having heart surgery, a GM trying to get a pre-draft deal done, and the last of the pro days reshaping the first day of the draft.

The wild card in the first round is still Boston College QB Matt Ryan, who could land at any number of spots in the opening round. Lots of people have varying opinions of Ryan, and club executives in search of a quarterback can't waste much time comparing him to quarterbacks of years past. They need to ask themselves the question, if we pass on Ryan is there any guarantee we will get a player of equal or better talent next year? If he upgrades your team this year it will be very hard to pass him.

I get the sense that a few of the decision makers on draft day are struggling with medical and/or off-the-field issues, and for good reason. There's just too much money involved to take the risk anymore. A safe pick is going to trump a guy with great talent who may also present a risk. One-year wonders are another concern that seems to be on personnel directors' minds with little time left before the draft. Taking a guy who had one great year, or a guy with four solid years, is still a challenge in the NFL.

steelers pass on stewart, groves, balmer, and pillips and select-

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College Cherilus plays the game the way the Steelers like to play football. He isn't perfect but he plays physical and to the whistle. He wins the right tackle spot in camp and never looks back for the next 10 years.

Second-round pick: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan

MasterOfPuppets
04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
the chargers have 1 pick in the first 4 rds..... i don't think thier gonna burn it on a freakin running back, when they obvious holes else where to fill. THey should go with phillips , before a RB

steelymcmatt
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
PFW just came out with their new mock (cant link due to it being prescription only)...They also have Otah going to Chicago...and they have Albert going to the Eagles at #19.

at #23....To the Steelers.....PFW has....Gosder Cherilus.

I am beginning to see a trend.

I don't think Albert is falling past 15 or so, but if they do, I expect us to try to trade up to pick him up. I have a feeling the same thing can be said of Mr. Harvey.:popcorn:

tony hipchest
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
very interesting. pats and chiefs swap the 5th and 7th picks. baltimore and saints swap #8 and #10. (baltimore lands branden albert)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=E6E9B7F3420888D964EAA9102F4DBE9A? id=09000d5d807f798d&template=with-video&confirm=true

There has already been some serious business this week. The first pick in the draft is locked up with Jake Long going to Miami. The Jared Allen trade to the Vikings has stirred up the first round and the Chiefs may be much more flexible about trading out of the No. 5 spot. I believe they are getting a lot of calls about 17th pick.

Recently, we witnessed a few players admitting to failed drug tests, another player having heart surgery, and the last of the pro days reshaping the first day of the draft. As late as Thursday, teams were still flying around the country to get a final peak at candidates.

The wild card in the first round is still Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, who could go at any number of spots in the opening round. There are varying opinions on Ryan and club executives in search of a quarterback can't waste much time comparing him to quarterbacks of years past. They need to ask themselves the question, if we pass on Ryan is there any guarantee we will get a player of equal or better talent next year. If he upgrades your team, it will be very hard to pass him this year.

Atlanta, Kansas City, Baltimore and at least one other team have a very serious decision to make and it isn't going to be easy. History says the quarterback debate takes center stage in the hours leading up to the draft. Banking on Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, or Joe Flacco being there in the second round is risky business. Not to mention, if those clubs believe Ryan is the best prospect than how can they wait?

I get the sense that a few of the decision makers on draft day are struggling with medical and or off-the-field issues and for good reason. There's just too much money involved to take the risk anymore. Now that Long has taken a five-year deal from Miami instead of the traditional 6-year deal at the top of the first round, the climate has changed dramatically.

A safe pick is going to trump a guy with great talent who may also present a risk. One-year wonders are another concern that seems to be on the mind of personnel directors with little time left before the draft. Take a guy who had one great year or a guy with four solid years on his resume. The Jake Long pick by the Dolphins sends a big message about how clubs look at the draft these days. Be safe and get the guy who has done it over time.

and the steelers do what everyone thinks they need to do. :yawn: (but a good, sound selection)

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College Cherilus plays the game the way the Steelers like to play football. He isn't perfect, but he plays physical and to the whistle. He wins the right tackle spot in camp and never looks back for the next ten years. There could be conversation about a wide receiver like Limas Sweed.

lilyoder6
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
as in herm's words HE wants 15 picks this yr.. so i wouldn't doubt to see the cheifs trade one of there 1st rd picks to drop back again and pick up extra picks.. honestly they do need a lot of help on the team...

Swann_Song
04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
as in herm's words HE wants 15 picks this yr.. so i wouldn't doubt to see the cheifs trade one of there 1st rd picks to drop back again and pick up extra picks.. honestly they do need a lot of help on the team...

Sometimes I am not sure Herm knows what he really wants.

At this point, I could see us go with an OLineman - the line could use it - and I think a trade up might do it - but the team is smart with it's picks and would -as someone pointed out - be wiser perhaps to trade back - the premiere OLine talent could be long gone by our pick.

Go back a round - not too far mind you - and the WRs have more value, and the Oline that is left will too.