PDA

View Full Version : More visits from potential draft picks

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Steelers | Urrutia scheduled to visit
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:32:13 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports Louisville WR Mario Urrutia is scheduled to visit the Pittsburgh Steelers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Godfrey has visit scheduled
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:14:56 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Iowa CB Charles Godfrey is scheduled to visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Team showing good deal of interest in Cason
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:37:47 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Arizona CB Antoine Cason is receiving a good deal of interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Steelers | Team attends Pitt?s Pro Day
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:46:07 -0700

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports representatives from the Pittsburgh Steelers attended the University of Pittsburgh's Pro Day Monday, March 24
http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

I would LOVE to get Godfrey!!!!!..I had stated before that he would be the most versatile Steeler DB since Carnell Lake

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I would LOVE to get Godfrey!!!!!..I had stated before that he would be the most versatile Steeler DB since Carnell Lake

If it happens I think he may end up being a Safety like Lake, not really a starting CB. Here is a scouting report excerpt from nfl.com.

There are some concerns about his transition -- Godfrey isn't as fast on the field as his timed speed -- which could result in his being moved back to safety in the NFL, at least initially. There are some concerns, but Godfrey's physicality and raw athleticism will result in an early-round selection despite the fact that he remains a bit unpolished.

Rare combination of size and speed. ... Well-built athlete who has the physique of a safety and track star speed. ... Versatile, having played his first two seasons at safety before making the transition to cornerback for his junior and senior seasons. ... Flashed ability previously in his career, but enjoyed a breakout senior campaign. ... Rare pure speed. ... Significant improvement as a senior in terms of technique, play recognition and creating turnovers. ... Physical defender. ... Reliable open-field tackler who aggressively supports the run from his cornerback position.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
If it happens I think he may end up being a Safety like Lake, not really a starting CB. Here is a scouting report excerpt from nfl.com.

There are some concerns about his transition -- Godfrey isn't as fast on the field as his timed speed -- which could result in his being moved back to safety in the NFL, at least initially. There are some concerns, but Godfrey's physicality and raw athleticism will result in an early-round selection despite the fact that he remains a bit unpolished.

Rare combination of size and speed. ... Well-built athlete who has the physique of a safety and track star speed. ... Versatile, having played his first two seasons at safety before making the transition to cornerback for his junior and senior seasons. ... Flashed ability previously in his career, but enjoyed a breakout senior campaign. ... Rare pure speed. ... Significant improvement as a senior in terms of technique, play recognition and creating turnovers. ... Physical defender. ... Reliable open-field tackler who aggressively supports the run from his cornerback position.

As a 3 round pick he would be a steal...look for him to rise up the boards. We could use a Safety who is strong on run support but also has speed. He could also play Cb in the nickel and would be a very good special teamer....!!!:thumbsup:

Dylan
03-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Cason could be a good return man

Aussie_steeler
03-30-2008, 12:24 AM
G'day guys. I have been away for 8 days and in that time loads of potential picks have come in for visits.

Its amazing how many are guys that we have all been throwing around.

Godfrey would be awesome at FS and nickel CB. I say bring him on.

Other visitors that I have had an eye on include Moore, Langford and my sleeper Ryan Torain (keep an eye out for him come day 2 or UDFA if we are really lucky).

Good to be back with my draft cap on.

Galax Steeler
03-30-2008, 06:35 AM
What round are they perdicting godfrey to go in.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 07:10 AM
What round are they perdicting godfrey to go in.

3rd round

Galax Steeler
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
3rd round

Thanks llt I wasn't for sure.

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
As a 3 round pick he would be a steal...look for him to rise up the boards. We could use a Safety who is strong on run support but also has speed. He could also play Cb in the nickel and would be a very good special teamer....!!!:thumbsup:

Good job LLT, that is Godfrey.

Iowa Fan Here, Been waiting a long time to get a hawkeye on this team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Quick list of those that the Steelers have shown interest in at Pro-days, or have visited with at Heinz field.

Not sure if the list shows a trend as to where we will draft, but thought everyone might find it interesting...I added the round that the players may be drafted in

CB (6)
Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas................................top 20 pick
Antoine Cason, CB Arizona.........................1st round
Justin King, CB, Penn State........................2nd round
Charles Godfrey CB/FS, Iowa.....................2nd-3rd round
Antwaun Molden CB, Eastern Kentucky....5th round
Reggie Corner, CB, Akron...........................6th round-UDFA

DL (4)
Dre Moore, DE, Maryland.............................1st-2nd round
Red Bryant DL Texas A&M...........................2nd-3rd round
Hampton DE Kendall Langford...................2nd-3rd round
Keilen Dykes, DE, West Virginia.................5th-6th round

RB/FB (4)
Jerome Felton FB/RB, Fuhrman..................4th-5th round
Ryan Torain, RB, Arizona State....................5th round
Jehuu Caulcrick RB, Michigan State...........5th round
Brandon McAnderson, FB, Kansas.............6th round

LB (4)
Dan Connor, LB Penn State..........................1st round
Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee..........................2nd round
Shawn Crable, LB/DE, Michigan..................3rd round
Bryan Smith DE McNeese State...................7th round-UDFA

OL (3)
Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt.............................................. 1st round
Gosder Cherilus,OT Boston College...........2nd round
Mike McGlynn, OL, Pitt.....................................3rd-4th round

WR (3)
Limas Sweed WR,Texas.................................1st round
Paul Hubbard WR Wisconsin.........................3rd-4th round
Mario Urrutia WR,Louisville.............................7th round

Safety (1)
Matt Hewitt SS, Arkansas...............................7th round

TE (1)
Darrell Strong, TE, Pitt .....................................7th round

millwalldavey
03-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Godfrey would be nice... I guess his speed is the concern which is the reson he may play safety. As much as I like a new CB, (NOT CRAZY about the ones we have... IMHO Ike was a BIG waste of a contract...) I still would like to see two strong safeties.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Godfrey would be nice... I guess his speed is the concern which is the reson he may play safety. As much as I like a new CB, (NOT CRAZY about the ones we have... IMHO Ike was a BIG waste of a contract...) I still would like to see two strong safeties.

His speed isnt going to be a problem...he just ran a 4.38 at his pro-day! Some have him as a safety because he played there until his last two years of college. However, that being said...some draft experts are saying that when he completely gets comfortable with the CB position, his ceiling is off the charts.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
If anyone knows of a player that we have visited with or watfched at pro day that isnt on the list..please let me know...thanks!

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 11:36 AM
If anyone knows of a player that we have visited with or watfched at pro day that isnt on the list..please let me know...thanks!

Didn't Carlton Powell visit a couple weeks ago? Or did they interview him at the combine?

millwalldavey
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
His speed isnt going to be a problem...he just ran a 4.38 at his pro-day! Some have him as a safety because he played there until his last two years of college. However, that being said...some draft experts are saying that when he completely gets comfortable with the CB position, his ceiling is off the charts.

Ahhhhhh! I saw a much slower speed listed for him elsewhere... but that was even before the combine.

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Ahhhhhh! I saw a much slower speed listed for him elsewhere... but that was even before the combine.

He ran a 4.43 at the combine, but don't put to muct stock in that. Beleave me, he was very disappointed in that time.

Aussie_steeler
03-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Steelers | Peterson receiving interest from team
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:36:31 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Northwest Missouri State TE Michael Peterson is receiving interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers after his Pro Day performance.

What is interesting is that Nfldraftscout.com has him listed as a fullback.
This is more the role I would also see him playing in.

Name: Mike Peterson
College: Northwest Missouri State Number: 89
Height: 6-2 Weight: 247
Position: FB Pos2: TE/H-back
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.59 40 Low: 4.54 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round: Stock:
Rated number 11 out of 95 FB's 409 / 2539 TOTAL

02/05/08 - Texas vs. The Nation Review: TE Mike Peterson (NW Missouri State)- Very productive as a moving tight end in college, Peterson showed good athleticism and strength running through arm tackles and tightroping the sidelines on a fantastic effort during the game.

01/31/08 - Texas vs. The Nation - Texas Team Wednesday Practice: Showed more fluidity and quickness in short routes today. He won't be a downfield presence, though, and didn't show much of a vertical trying to get to a ball over his head. Caught some balls away from the body and others in his chest. Does not show much pop in his blocking, but may be flexible enough to do so on the run.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67417

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 03:31 AM

What is interesting is that Nfldraftscout.com has him listed as a fullback.
This is more the role I would also see him playing in.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67417

That makes sense....I can see him drafted as a FB, or picked up as an UDFA.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 06:17 AM
If there is a method to the madness....we will see the steelers draft a CB and RB, based on the amount of time they have been scouting those positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 09:04 AM
He ran a 4.43 at the combine, but don't put to muct stock in that. Beleave me, he was very disappointed in that time.

4.43 or 4.38 ......not much difference. You could lose that much time on a bad start....Its why again, I dont put too much stock in 40 times.

His scouting report on nfl.com says he has sprinter speed, but sometimes doesnt look like it on the field. That is what concerns me is he can be fast in a straight line, but doesnt play with "football speed" well enough.

Maybe its just that he wasnt comfortable yet at corner.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
4.43 or 4.38 ......not much difference. You could lose that much time on a bad start....Its why again, I dont put too much stock in 40 times.

His scouting report on nfl.com says he has sprinter speed, but sometimes doesnt look like it on the field. That is what concerns me is he can be fast in a straight line, but doesnt play with "football speed" well enough.

Maybe its just that he wasnt comfortable yet at corner.

Thats my understanding....I have read that with coaching he may be a steal outside of the first round

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, maybe he slides to the 3rd like McCauley did last year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, maybe he slides to the 3rd like McCauley did last year.

If he is there for our third round pick I pray.... to all that is good and pure... that we take him.

Instant insurance at CB and at FS.

lilyoder6
03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
well running a 4.38 and a 4.43 does actually make a lot of diff in a skilled pos... that could be the difference in the millions u make.. i mean some players at the skill pos. were soly drafted on there 40 time, b/c they knew that player can keep up with any one or run away from anyone

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
well running a 4.38 and a 4.43 does actually make a lot of diff in a skilled pos... that could be the difference in the millions u make.. i mean some players at the skill pos. were soly drafted on there 40 time, b/c they knew that player can keep up with any one or run away from anyone

Chad Johnson ran a 4.45.

Not sure if WR is classed as a "skill pos." or if that stopwatch speed hampered his ability to run away from anyone?....Drafting sombody primarily based on their 40 time is just wrong and the only ones that do it are us fans:thmbdown:

Texasteel
03-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Where I agree that the 40 time should not be the only thing you look at, maybe not even the main think, the difference between 4.43 and 4.38 is about 1/2 a step, and that is all a good WR needs.

The important thing about Godfrey, is he coachable. Most of the kids that come out of Iowa are coachable.

Now, keep in mind that I have been an Iowa fan all my life, and have been hoping to get a hawkeye on the Steelers for years. That may shade my opinion a little.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Where I agree that the 40 time should not be the only thing you look at, maybe not even the main think, the difference between 4.43 and 4.38 is about 1/2 a step, and that is all a good WR needs.

I agree entirely with you Texas Hawkeye..Steel.

That 1/2 a step is something a guy can pickup from going to a pre combine training camp and learning how to start properly. My wife was a regional track champion at 400m and I know the benefit of how technique can improve your start and accel phase.....and subsequent time.

No CB or WR gets in a sprinters stance to play the game and that's why its more important to see how these guys play in games instead of relying on the stopwatch and 5/100th of a second.

I hope you get your Hawkeye on the squad and its a good pick. I liked Fred Russell a lot, but he's no Ronnie Harmon:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
the difference between 4.43 and 4.38 is about 1/2 a step, .

MAN!!!!! you are good!!!

I did the math and based on a speed of 21 mph....0.05 seconds works out to 1.54 ft, or just a shade over 18 inches, so the difference is basically half a step!!

(a 9.2 second 100m equates to 24.3 mph and a 3.64- 40, so I went with the more conservative average of 21 mph)

Bottom line, I care more about my football players being able to tackle, block, change direction etc. than outrun a guy by 18 inches over a 40 yard sprint from a track start.

faneca05
03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Holy, how long did it take to do all that math!

But any way..... I totally agree, I would much rather have a solid football player than some guy that can just run fast(Troy Williamson???)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Holy, how long did it take to do all that math!

But any way..... I totally agree, I would much rather have a solid football player than some guy that can just run fast(Troy Williamson???)

Not that long, but then again I can calculate the distance from the upper deck of the stadium to ground level by dropping a beer and using only the time it takes to get there and the 4th quadratic equation. Its simple physics:coffee:

and yeah.....former MSU Spartan , Dallas Cowboy and Chicago Bear, Alonzo Spellman= "physique of a worldbeater....mind of an eggbeater"

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Not that long, but then again I can calculate the distance from the upper deck of the stadium to ground level by dropping a beer and using only the time it takes to get there and the 4th quadratic equation. Its simple physics:coffee:

and yeah.....former MSU Spartan , Dallas Cowboy and Chicago Bear, Alonzo Spellman= "physique of a worldbeater....mind of an eggbeater"

:sofunny:...look like Tarzan...play like Jane.

I would say that straight line speed does come into play with certain positions...but NOT at the expense of production. Idealy you would want a productive player with great measurables.

Troy Williamson and Ryan Leaf are a good examples of players that measure well but were unproductive.

Virginia Linebacker Kai Parham was a good example of a player that was ultra-productive in college but didnt have the measurables to play in the pros.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
:sofunny:...look like Tarzan...play like Jane.

I saw Lou Holtz speak once and he starts off with his career coaching at William and Mary by saying "we had too many Mary's and not enough Williams on the team"

Great Line!!!

Rhee Rhee
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
3rd round

i see him going as high as mid second...

i predict him as a solid second rounder but thats MO

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with University of California-Los Angeles FS Matt Slater Tuesday, April 8. Slater is the son of NFL Hall of Famer Jackie Slater.

Steelers | Team to meet with B. Smith
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:35:15 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with McNeese State DL Bryan Smith Tuesday, April 8.

Steelers | Team to meet with Porter
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:34:46 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with University of Indiana CB Tracy Porter Tuesday, April 8.

Steelers | Team to meet with Mundy
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:34:03 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with University of West Virginia S Ryan Mundy Tuesday, April 8.
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

More Defensive backs

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Saw some video of Bryan Smith last night on NFL network and the kid looked explosive.

Sure it was at McNeese St and not big competition, but he was just exploding off the ball and dipping his shoulder around the linemen, then at the QB like a heat seeking missile. Mayock had him as a 4th or 5th round guy that would play OLB. Here is his profile.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=2710

Texasteel
04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
There are some small school kids playing big time football. I think if a kid shows good quickness with a few good moves, he's worth a good look .

brsteelers
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Quick list of those that the Steelers have shown interest in at Pro-days, or have visited with at Heinz field.

Not sure if the list shows a trend as to where we will draft, but thought everyone might find it interesting...I added the round that the players may be drafted in

CB (6)

DL (4)

RB/FB (4)

LB (4)

OL (3)

WR (3)

Safety (1)
Matt Hewitt SS, Arkansas...............................7th round

TE (1)

That was extremely helpful. Thank you.

paw-n-maul-u
04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
anyone got a list of ALL the players to visit so far ... up till today 4/8/08

lilyoder6
04-08-2008, 08:21 PM
now there is a red flag on talib since he admitted to smoking some marijuana.. but i doubt it would hurt his stock..... it looks like dixon is recovering very nicely

Rhee Rhee
04-09-2008, 02:02 AM
we also expressed interest in Dennis Dixon if anyone's interested..

personally i am very much so interested mainly because i know zabransky will be gone by the beggining of the regular season...

Galax Steeler
04-09-2008, 03:43 AM
we also expressed interest in Dennis Dixon if anyone's interested..

personally i am very much so interested mainly because i know zabransky will be gone by the beggining of the regular season...

I got to agree rhee rhee I don't see zabransky making it either.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-09-2008, 04:34 AM
anyone got a list of ALL the players to visit so far ... up till today 4/8/08

CB (7)
Tracy Porter CB,University of Indiana........1st-2nd round

LB (6)
Quentin Groves DE University of Auburn ....2nd round
Cliff Avril DL/LB, Purdue.................................2nd round

DL (4)

RB/FB (4)

OL (4)
Kerry Brown OG,Appalachian State .............7th round

WR (3)

Safety (3)
Matt Hewitt SS, Arkansas................................7th round
Matt Slater FS,UCLA..........................................U DFA
Ryan Mundy FS, University of West Virginia..UDFA

TE (2)
Michael Peterson TE, Missouri State............ 7th-UDFA

QB (2)
Andre Woodson, QB Kentucky......................2nd-3rd
Dennis Dixon, QB University of Oregon.......5th-6th

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
CB (7)
Tracy Porter CB,University of Indiana........1st-2nd round

LB (6)
Quentin Groves DE University of Auburn ....2nd round
Cliff Avril DL/LB, Purdue.................................2nd round

DL (4)

RB/FB (4)

OL (4)
Kerry Brown OG,Appalachian State .............7th round

WR (3)

Safety (3)
Matt Hewitt SS, Arkansas................................7th round
Matt Slater FS,UCLA..........................................U DFA
Ryan Mundy FS, University of West Virginia..UDFA

TE (2)
Michael Peterson TE, Missouri State............ 7th-UDFA

QB (2)
Andre Woodson, QB Kentucky......................2nd-3rd
Dennis Dixon, QB University of Oregon.......5th-6th

*NOTE* These are both ...players that we have shown interest in (pro-days and combine) and players that have visited

DACEB
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
LLT, how about these guys,
DaJuan Morgan S
Terell Thomas CB.
Brian Johnston DE
J. McClain LB
C. Johnson LB

Don't forget they were at Auburns & Va. Tech's pro days also.
Auburn;
P. Lee CB
P. Sims DT
K. Dunlop OT

Va. Tech;
C. Powell DT
D. Brown OT
B. Flowers CB
V. Hall ILB
E. Royals WR

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
LLT, how about these guys,
DaJuan Morgan S
Terell Thomas CB.
Brian Johnston DE
J. McClain LB
C. Johnson LB

Don't forget they were at Auburns & Va. Tech's pro days also.
Auburn;
P. Lee CB
P. Sims DT
K. Dunlop OT

Va. Tech;
C. Powell DT
D. Brown OT
B. Flowers CB
V. Hall ILB
E. Royals WR

I only listed those players that I found an article that stated the Steelers were specifically looking at a certain player...but yea....you gotta think that they checked out the rest of the talent why they were at the prodays.