PDA

View Full Version : Booger McFarland a Steeler?

Elvis
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Steelers host 3 draft prospects, free agent

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Steelers are meeting with free-agent defensive tackle Anthony "Booger" McFarland as well as three college prospects today at their South Side facility.
In addition to McFarland, linebackers Shawn Crable of Michigan and Jerod Mayo of Tennessee and running back Ryan Torain of Arizona State are visiting with the team.
The Steelers met individually with cornerback Aqib Talib of Kansas and defensive linemen Dre Moore of Maryland and Keilen Dykes of West Virginia last week.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is familiar with McFarland, 30, from their time together with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
story continues below

http://ads.pittsburghlive.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/HSE_caregiver/Caregiver_300x250.gif (http://ads.pittsburghlive.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/pittsburghlive.com/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_558946.html/1839427190/Position1/OasDefault/HSE_caregiver/Caregiver_300x250.gif/34373764366261343437646238623630)

The 6-0, 300-pounder played for the Buccaneers from 1999-2006. Traded to the Colts during the 2006 season, McFarland missed all of last season after suffering serious knee injury in August.
The Colts released him at the end of last month after McFarland failed a physical.
In other Steelers new, the team officially announced the signing of center Justin Hartwig to a two-year contract. The 6-4, 312-pound Hartwig's deal is worth as much as $3.725 million.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com (sbrown@tribweb.com) or 412-481-5432.
Back (javascript:history.back())

BlastFurnace
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
On Rotoworld.com, it says that he would not be available for the start of the season. I guess if he is healthy, he could be good for giving Hampton a rest here and there, but we already have Hoke for that role.

I'd rather get younger than bring him in. He's just a one year guy at best.

The Duke
03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
he's 30!

shouldn't they be searching for younger guys? casey's 30, hoke's 32, we need young DTs unless mcbean steps up

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
On Rotoworld.com, it says that he would not be available for the start of the season. I guess if he is healthy, he could be good for giving Hampton a rest here and there, but we already have Hoke for that role.

or use him with hoke in a 4-3 sub-package.

rbryan
03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm guessing he's available for next to nothing. Tomlin knows him well so maybe he can fit in for a few years.

Can't say I'm too excited about the precedent of signing anyone named Booger..lol

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Can't say I'm too excited about the precedent of signing anyone named Booger..lolif were dumping dookie, might as well pick a booger.

ha! :chuckle:

stillers4me
03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
if were dumping dookie, might as well pick a booger.

:sofunny:

43Hitman
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
or use him with hoke in a 4-3 sub-package.

I think you may be on to something there. I am sure at some point we will start seeing Tomlins 4-3 packages. I love Lebeau, but he is prolly looking to retire at some point in the near future. And Tomlin has already said that he would like to create pressure with-out all the blitzing.

randy06
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
he had a major knee injury! hes thirty and probably not gonna be worth much let alone be the same type of player he once was i dont think he is worth signing:computer:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Sign him, bring him to camp and see if he can beat out Kirschke, Hoke or replace Nick Eason. McFarland is a character guy with a couple super bowl rings worth of experience........and is flat out hilarious!!!

I you were to ask me if Booger McFarland is better than Kirschke, Hoke or Eason......the answer to all 3 is yes.

jjpro11
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
i'd rather bring back haggans if we could only choose one more free agent.

OneForTheToe
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
El-Gonzo Jackson

... McFarland is a character guy with a couple super bowl rings worth of experience........and is flat out hilarious!!!

If we want funny maybe we should sign Seth McFarland(e) instead? I think he would keep the locker room light. As for Booger, at the right price he might be worth taking a shot on - just see in camp if he can stuff things up or if he just gets blown (or picked) out of position. :computer:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
El-Gonzo Jackson

If we want funny maybe we should sign Seth McFarland(e) instead? I think he would keep the locker room light. :

That would make the preseason entertaining:bouncy:

steeltheone
03-25-2008, 07:17 PM
The last guy we brought in that Tomlin knew was Mr. Mahan........

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
The last guy we brought in that Tomlin knew was Mr. Mahan........so much for letting the steelers head coach bring in any more players then...

:dang:

verks36
03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
if were dumping dookie, might as well pick a booger.

LOLZ

Dylan
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Is Ryan Torain that kid who lost like 3 family memebers all in the same month or like 3 weeks apart..... it was on college gameday when they were at penn state....

Kindjunior
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I think a healthy Booger can still make an impact, but it has to be at the right price. Id take a gamble on the guy, wearing the Black and Gold can put the spark back in any Defensive players game.

19ward86
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I would rather see Hoke start in the 4-3 than him any day.

Lord Stiller
03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
the Steelers bring in lots of players

this thread title implies the are close to signing him, misleading

tony hipchest
03-25-2008, 11:20 PM
just remember....

you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose...

but you cant wipe your friends on the couch.

:couch:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Isn't there some kind of NFL rule that forbids a team to have both a booger and a dookie? :scratchchin:

Galax Steeler
03-26-2008, 03:26 AM
With the knee injury and age factor I would have to pass on this cat sounds to risky to me.

stillers4me
03-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Looks like we picked a booger.........the little snot.

Midnightwriter7
03-26-2008, 06:16 AM
very interesting and no nothing wrong with bringing people into camp and see what can do and where we will need help... all for that just as long as beginning of season we are ready to go !!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
03-26-2008, 07:20 AM
That would make the preseason entertaining:bouncy:Plus he's a Family Guy. Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't think it's going to happen anyway. Booger that is not Seth.

atlsteelers
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
i like him better than Nick Eason. If he gets healthy he could be a nice addition.

drew102e
03-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Sign him, bring him to camp and see if he can beat out Kirschke, Hoke or replace Nick Eason. McFarland is a character guy with a couple super bowl rings worth of experience........and is flat out hilarious!!!

I you were to ask me if Booger McFarland is better than Kirschke, Hoke or Eason......the answer to all 3 is yes.

you may be on to something, whats hokes cap number? i think its over 2 mil and he doesnt play much

BlastFurnace
03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
The Steelers signed him according to www.postgazette.com/steelers

If he is healthy, it's a very good signing.

DACEB
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. The injury is a concern though IMO, especially if the team won't have the oppurtunity to check him out in camp.

DACEB
03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
On Rotoworld.com, it says that he would not be available for the start of the season.

That is a concern to me. He could be put on IR, and miss the first 6 games. That would allow the team an extra player until he's available.

dunkuntou
03-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Is Ryan Torain that kid who lost like 3 family memebers all in the same month or like 3 weeks apart..... it was on college gameday when they were at penn state....

No thats Keegan Herring

jjpro11
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/03/26/sports/doc47eabf3ce7383168875825.txt

Steelers: McFarland not signed; Haggans leaves, Warren stays
ADVERTISEMENT
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:49 PM EDT
The Steelers appeared set to sign free-agent defensive lineman Anthony McFarland on Tuesday night. But after working him out Wednesday morning, they withdrew their offer.

A Steelers spokesman said late Wednesday afternoon that no deal has been struck with McFarland.

Apparently, McFarland flunked his physical. A 10-year veteran with 85 career starts, McFarland missed last season with a knee injury. McFarland played for Tampa Bay and Indianapolis.

Meanwhile, the Steelers did re-sign long-snapper Greg Warren. A restricted free agent, Warren agreed to a three-year contract worth $2.3 million with a signing bonus of $395,000.

In other free agent news, former Steelers linebacker Clark Haggans signed with the Arizona Cardinals.

CantStop85
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I was wondering why they would sign him to begin with...it's not like he'll be recovered in time for the start of the season.

Steelerfreak58
03-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Bye bye booger!:cheers:

Galax Steeler
03-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Maybe they witdrew there offer because they have there eye on someone else.

Elvis
03-27-2008, 05:09 AM
NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren; McFarland agrees to deal
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
From local and wire dispatches
The Steelers came to another contract agreement with one of their own players yesterday when long-snapper Greg Warren reached terms on a three-year contract. He will receive $2.3 million, including a signing bonus of $395,000.
Warren made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2005 and has been their long snapper since. He became a restricted free agent Feb. 29. Yesterday, the Steelers entertained another veteran free agent and three college prospects.
Anthony "Booger" McFarland, released last month by the Indianapolis Colts when he failed their physical, came to a contract agreement with the Steelers last night after meeting with team officials and taking a physical earlier in the day. He is a defensive lineman who is 6 feet, 300 pounds. He spent all last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Colts acquired McFarland in a trade with Tampa Bay in October 2006 for a second-round draft choice.
He was the Buccaneers' first-round draft choice in 1999 from LSU and played for Tampa Bay when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the secondary coach there.
The Steelers are set with their three starters in the defensive line, ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton. They are thin behind them, especially at end. They re-signed end Travis Kirschke, 34, before he would have become a free agent Feb. 29. Ryan McBean, a rookie who spent most of last season on the practice squad, recently had foot surgery and still cannot work out.

Elvis
03-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Is this not correct? According to the post-gazette he is signed with the Steelers

stillers4me
03-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Hold the lettuce, hold the Booger......................no deal yet. Sounds like his agent is playing the "other teams want him, where's the moolah" card. And we all know how cheap the Rooneys are. :chuckle:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

For at least the third time since free agency opened, an agent is denying media reports that his client has agreed to terms with a new team.

In every other case, the player eventually agreed to terms with the team in question.

This time around, agent Karl Bernard disputes that defensive tackle Anthony “Booger” McFarland has reached an agreement with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

McFarland last played for the Colts in 2006. He missed the entire 2007 season with a knee injury, and the Colts released him last month.

Bernard says that a number of teams have expressed interest in the 1999 first-round pick, who was traded from Tampa Bay to Indy in 2006.

I posted this yesterday in the main Booger thread but everybody ignored it. There's a difference between to coming to an agreement and actually signing a contract.

HometownGal
03-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Is this not correct? According to the post-gazette he is signed with the Steelers

From initial post:

The Steelers appeared set to sign free-agent defensive lineman Anthony McFarland on Tuesday night. But after working him out Wednesday morning, they withdrew their offer.

A Steelers spokesman said late Wednesday afternoon that no deal has been struck with McFarland.

Apparently, McFarland flunked his physical.

Dino 6 Rings
03-27-2008, 08:26 AM
well if he's broke, don't sign him. glad they didn't "hope for the best" and decided to save money to get some viable talent instead of taking a chance on an injured player.

lilyoder6
03-27-2008, 10:09 AM
the dude is 300 punods... he needs to stop eating the damn twinkies and lose weight to pass a pyshical

BlastFurnace
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
:tt02:the dude is 300 punods... he needs to stop eating the damn twinkies and lose weight to pass a pyshical

Problem is, if he is not 300lbs, he's not an NFL caliber lineman at 6'0"...especially not for us.

randy06
03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
agreed

SteelersTilIDie
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
he is definitely better than hoke, kirschke, and eason. I think the steelers will try to import a 4-3 defense in the coming seasons so it is good to have another good defensive tackle next to an all pro in casey hampton

lilyoder6
03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
he can be a NFL caliber lineman at 285.. he adds a lil bit faster step... i didn't say he needed to lose weight but if he got down to 285 or even 290 he will be a better dt than he is now

Elvis
03-28-2008, 05:04 AM
:tt02:

Problem is, if he is not 300lbs, he's not an NFL caliber lineman at 6'0"...especially not for us.
Now, I maybe wrong not checking but I think that Hampton is only around 6' 1" right?... Does that mean he isnt a NFL Caliber NT in the NFL?

BlastFurnace
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Now, I maybe wrong not checking but I think that Hampton is only around 6' 1" right?... Does that mean he isnt a NFL Caliber NT in the NFL?

Maybe I need to clarify my statement. As a NT in the 3-4 defense, there is nothing wrong with being 6'0" or 6'1", but if you are, you cannot be under 300lbs and get the push and leverage needed in the middle to be effective. For the Steelers, a 285 NT would get blown off the ball. Using your example, Casey Hampton would completely lose his effectiveness at 285lbs.

We have experimented with NT's that were too small before in guys like Kendrick Clancy and it didnt' work out well for us.

lilyoder6
03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
trust me someone if hampton would drop down to 285 290 he'll still be abeast b/c he is very strong in the upper body.. probably with the ppl being smaller they weren't as strong as hampton.... the weight really doesn't have anything to do with it.. it depends on how quick u get off the ball and how strong u are..

BlastFurnace
03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
trust me someone if hampton would drop down to 285 290 he'll still be abeast b/c he is very strong in the upper body.. probably with the ppl being smaller they weren't as strong as hampton.... the weight really doesn't have anything to do with it.. it depends on how quick u get off the ball and how strong u are..

We will have to agree to disagree here. Look at all the teams that run a 3-4 in the league and look at the NT's in these defenses that are effective:

Hampton - Pittsburgh
Wilfork - New England
Jamal Williams - San Diego
Kelly Gregg - Baltimore

That is only a small sample of them, but they are the best in the league. Not a one of them is below 300lbs. Hampton may be strong, but if he loses too much weight, he will lose some of that strength and leverage when playing against the bigger Center's in football. Now, he may be overweight at what he is playing at right now, but the answer is not to drop him to where he is too light.

OneForTheToe
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM
I have to agree with BlastFurnace on this ... you can't really be effective as a NT in the 3/4 unless you are 300+ and strong as an ox. Really you have to be close to 300 to play end effectively in this defense. IIRC, back in the late eighties we had a DE named Keith Willis and one named Keith Gary both of whom were somewhat undersized for even that time. One of them was really good, but I can't remember which one. Anyhow, the good Keith was a very good pass rusher, but as I recall, we had just switched to the 3/4 and his size (as well as the size of the others at DE) was a particular liability.

BlastFurnace
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I have to agree with BlastFurnace on this ... you can't really be effective as a NT in the 3/4 unless you are 300+ and strong as an ox. Really you have to be close to 300 to play end effectively in this defense. IIRC, back in the late eighties we had a DE named Keith Willis and one named Keith Gary both of whom were somewhat undersized for even that time. One of them was really good, but I can't remember which one. Anyhow, the good Keith was a very good pass rusher, but as I recall, we had just switched to the 3/4 and his size (as well as the size of the others at DE) was a particular liability.

Willis was the one that stuck around for a long time. He was a really good DE for us and a very good pass rusher. Keith Gary was a decent pass rusher and played well for a couple of years, but never really lived up to being our 1st Round pick...although going to Montreal in the CFL did not help his development either. I bet our QB coach...Kenny Anderson remembers Keith Gary quite well after what Keith did to him on MNF.

We used three #1 Draft Picks on DL'man in the 1980's and none of them panned out....Keith Gary, Aaron Jones, Daryl Sims, and Gabriel Rivera...although I think that Rivera would have been a good one had it not been for the accident.

OneForTheToe
03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
We used three #1 Draft Picks on DL'man in the 1980's and none of them panned out....Keith Gary, Aaron Jones, Daryl Sims, and Gabriel Rivera...although I think that Rivera would have been a good one had it not been for the accident.

I agree on Riverra ... I think he would have been great. My recollection of him playing was a sack (or almost) that he got on Elway in his rookie season (maybe his first game).

To often in the eighties we were drafting 4-3 d'ends for our new 3-4 alignment.

lilyoder6
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
u really think that 10 pounds will make him less than a beast he is now.... 10 pounds is not that much.. but at least u can gain a lil bit of speed back..

look at adam carricker.. he's not 300 but yet he was in the top 8-10 4 tackles among all nt with like 35ish or w/e.. trust me a person can be 290 and still be strong as a 300 person is.. but i forgot that the big ass fat coming from the gut really helps..

OneForTheToe
03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
u really think that 10 pounds will make him less than a beast he is now.... 10 pounds is not that much.. but at least u can gain a lil bit of speed back..

Well, if Casey went to 290 he would be losing more that ten pounds.:tt02:

look at adam carricker.. he's not 300 but yet he was in the top 8-10 4 tackles among all nt with like 35ish or w/e.. trust me a person can be 290 and still be strong as a 300 person is.. but i forgot that the big ass fat coming from the gut really helps..

Do the Rams play a 3-4? They are listing only one starting middle linebacker on their depth chart.
http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/depthcharts/

Nevertheless he is listed at 296, only a happy meal under 300, and don't be surprised if he is over 300 soon.

BlastFurnace
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, if Casey went to 290 he would be losing more that ten pounds.:tt02:

Do the Rams play a 3-4? They are listing only one starting middle linebacker on their depth chart.
http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/depthcharts/

Nevertheless he is listed at 296, only a happy meal under 300, and don't be surprised if he is over 300 soon.

LOL...I agree...If Casey currently weighs 300 lbs, then Bettis played at 225...:wink02:

Both players, I would bet, played their last regular season well above their listed weight. I remember seeing Bettis listed at 255 and thinking that there was no way he was even close to that.

For Casey to get below 300 lbs, it would take a big effort.

Carricker is listed at 296 as a NT. The Steelers liked him as a DE coming out. I would bet that at 6'6", he mostly plays End in their base defense.

lilyoder6
03-28-2008, 09:20 PM
well i'm just saying that hampton was 300.. if he heavier than that then i would re-phrase and tell him to lose 10 pounds and ge to where ever the weigh would be by minusing his current weight.. u can't get to fat b/c look at shaun rogers..

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Steelers | Team withdraws offer with McFarland
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:16:33 -0700

Mike Bires, of the Beaver County Times, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers withdrew their offer with free-agent DL Anthony McFarland (Colts) Wednesday, March 26, after McFarland failed a physical.
http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

Galax Steeler
03-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Steelers | Team withdraws offer with McFarland
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:16:33 -0700

Mike Bires, of the Beaver County Times, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers withdrew their offer with free-agent DL Anthony McFarland (Colts) Wednesday, March 26, after McFarland failed a physical.
http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

I can't see why they were going to take a chance on him in the first place.

Stlrs4Life
03-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I posted this yesterday in the main Booger thread but everybody ignored it. There's a difference between to coming to an agreement and actually signing a contract.

Probably because it was from PFT. You can't believe anything you hear from that site.

Hapa
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Guys are never the same after they mess up their knee.

MasterOfPuppets
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
LOL...I agree...If Casey currently weighs 300 lbs, then Bettis played at 225...:wink02:

Both players, I would bet, played their last regular season well above their listed weight. I remember seeing Bettis listed at 255 and thinking that there was no way he was even close to that.

For Casey to get below 300 lbs, it would take a big effort.

Carricker is listed at 296 as a NT. The Steelers liked him as a DE coming out. I would bet that at 6'6", he mostly plays End in their base defense.the rams use the 4-3 and carriker is a tackle.id they draft a guy like dorsey or ellis, carriker would move back to his natural position at DE.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/depthchart?team=STL

warddj86
03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I've had people tell me that he was not signed, and then I hear people talking about him starting next season.

Can someone clarify???

fansince'76
03-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I've had people tell me that he was not signed, and then I hear people talking about him starting next season.

Can someone clarify???

Yes, he was not signed:

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/03/26/sports/doc47eabf3ce7383168875825.txt

steelmann58
03-30-2008, 09:23 PM
he left the burgh and is the steelers signed Eason instead