PDA

View Full Version : The Rooneys

bratsinmybelly
03-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I've just got to get his off of my chest........

I check this board almost every day. It occurs to me that in almost every thread there is some sort of derogatory reference to the Rooney's and the way that they go about running this franchise. It's either that they are cheap, or that they are too conservative, or that they are in-consistent blah,blah,blah. I defy anyone to show me a more consistent, well-run franchise over the past 35 years. In this period we have amassed 5 super bowl wins and countless division titles. There is no other franchise that even comes close to our overall numbers during this time. I mean, most of us refer to the 80's as "the lean years" but even then we were competitive and won some great playoff games. We are so utterly spoiled by this success that some of us have the audacity to question our leadership.

What is it that these folks hope for? Do they want Dan Snyder to buy the Steelers or what? Is there really another franchise out there that has proven to be more consistent? Sure the Cheatriots are on everyone's radar right now, but where will they be in 10 years? The Giants win 1 Super Bowl and people are on here blathering about how we should switch to the 4-3. Next thing you know, people will be on here screaming for the run-and-shoot. The bottom line is this..... the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best, most consistent, and most admired team in the NFL and have been for many years. Anyone who argues this is blind, deaf, or dumb (all three if they're Pats fans). We have established a recipe for success that is envied the league over. That is a fact. Anyone who thinks we need to change the way we do business should simply do their research and they will see that what we got is worth havin'.

Here's to the Rooneys and the Steelers! The best damn sports franchise in the history of pro sports. If you don't like us, try the Browns on for size......or maybe the Jaguars, or hell, even the Patriots. Just try 'em out but I will promise you that if you are a true fan of quality, hard-nosed, consistent, WINNING football, You will come back to the Steelers every time. THAT'S what we have to be proud of!
:jammin::jammin::jammin::jammin::jammin::jammin::j ammin::jammin::jammin:

Galax Steeler
03-26-2008, 03:30 AM
I like the rooneys and the way they run there franchise they may be cheap but they can run a football team.

stillers4me
03-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Cheap???????????...............$102 million?????????????????????

tunes4life
03-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Cheap???????????...............$102 million?????????????????????

I agree! I'm tired of people saying this. What do we have to do to stop this talk?

StinkyB
03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
. We are so utterly spoiled by this success that some of us have the audacity to question our leadership.

First off, if you consider the Rooneys to be "your" or "our" leadership, then you have a little too much emotion invested in a football team.

Secondly, not questioning the Steelers' leadership is ridiculous, your and my money helps fund them, questioning them is the right thing to do. Questioning them with prudent questions and maturity, armed with facts and ideas is optimal. Slinging baseless accusations and incorrect facts is an annoyance.

drew102e
03-26-2008, 08:32 AM
most of the derogatory references are in jest...from long time posters heralding back to the day when the Rooneys were reluctant to give the big signing bonuses (prior to heinz field and its cash-rich luxury boxes) its no longer the case,

but they still dont spend frivolously and a very small but vocal group would like to never lose a steeler free agent and sign everyone elses, which is unrealistic, as we all know

atlsteelers
03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
hey they are a bunch of rich white dudes, of course we have to give them a hard time on occasion. especially when they raise ticket prices, like they did agian this year.

BlastFurnace
03-26-2008, 08:52 AM
I love the Rooney's. They, IMO, are the best owners in Sports. Just curious though...who is in line to take over after Art Jr.?

lilyoder6
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
they raised the tickets prices to cover the bill of ben's new contract.. duh!

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Signing Ben now, was a brilliant move, in a year, see what Eli Manning asks for and gets from the NY Giants. We now have ZERO to worry about at the QB position for at least 6 years (taking into account we renegotiate with 2 years left)

Now Ben knows we will build a team around him, my guess, he'll get his taller receiver, is Ward going to be a Steeler in 6 years? Highly doubt it, so we'll build for what Ben's strengths are, including a very High release point on the ball. Hence the giants we have at TE. We have a burner in Holmes, we have the solid downs guy in ward, now we need that tall over the middle, dare I say it "jump ball" guy for the Red Zone that we've been lacking. Teams double miller now in the red zone, so we could use a little height in the back of the endzone.

The Defense will be, and always will be Stuff the run first, as long as the Rooney's are in charge, but, it is a copy cat league and with the Pats showing what a 4 man rush can do to Brady, it will be considered at least in passing situations, much like the Ravens do, they run a 3-4/4-3 style defense, depending on situation. The Cover 2 isn't truly a Tampa 2 any longer, because of offenses becoming more 'spread'. So I don't see us becoming a true Tampa 2. We'll continue to draft young LBs, work on finding great CBs and Safeties. Also, watch for a solid RB to be drafted in a year or two. Parker is great, but can he carry the load for 6 more years? Heck can any back do it for 8 years without help?

Rooney's know what they are doing, they don't buy players to win now. They never have. They bring in FAs to compete and stay above the masses, to be good enough to make the Playoffs and have the potential, almost every single year of winning it all.

Lord Stiller
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
The Rooney's are the best in the business by far

anyone who criticizes the Rooney's don't know what the hell they are talkin about

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
I think that the most of the "cheap" comments that you are referring to are used in sarcasm to mock some posters and NFL "experts" who claim that the Rooneys are cheap.

Dylan
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
even if people dont like how they run the franchise...you cant complain by having goods seasons year in and year out

DACEB
03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I like the rooneys and the way they run there franchise they may be cheap but they can run a football team.

Hold on let me fix this for you.

I like the rooneys and the way they run there franchise, they sure can run a football team.

Much better!

Lord Stiller
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Dan Rooney was the main man behind getting the recent collective bargaining agreement done. If that wasn't completed the NFL would have been a disaster

They also wanted Rooney to be the next commissioner, before Goodell but he declined

atlsteelers
03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
they raised the tickets prices to cover the bill of ben's new contract.. duh!

i think its more about the greed the stinks up professional football..The steelers make plenty of money. Their revenue is within the top fifteen teams in the league. So i guess they raised ticket prices last year for troy's contract?

paw-n-maul-u
03-26-2008, 03:05 PM
holy cow, don't let fansince76 see this thread. you will be crucified.

I bet the rooneys would make a great reality show, counting their money and throwing dollar bill paper air planes at a dart board

... the dart board is more or less a collage of all the CHEAP contracts they've given out, and pictures of good players they let go that they didnt anny up for bahhaha

silver & black
03-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Dan Rooney was the main man behind getting the recent collective bargaining agreement done. If that wasn't completed the NFL would have been a disaster

They also wanted Rooney to be the next commissioner, before Goodell but he declined

Um... there was another owner that was every bit as instrunental in getting the CBA done.... just saying.

fansince'76
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
holy cow, don't let fansince76 see this thread. you will be crucified.

I bet the rooneys would make a great reality show, counting their money and throwing dollar bill paper air planes at a dart board

... the dart board is more or less a collage of all the CHEAP contracts they've given out, and pictures of good players they let go that they didnt anny up for bahhaha

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

A post that's proof positive that ignorance is truly bliss.

oldschool
03-26-2008, 04:00 PM
How can the Rooneys be called cheap, and have no cap room?

This team was succeeded over the years by have good second string players step up time and time again to fill in for some starter that has been injured or left for free agency. You can't do that if you don't have a good solid team, and you can't have that without spreading the cap money around.

fansince'76
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
How can the Rooneys be called cheap, and have no cap room?

This team was succeeded over the years by have good second string players step up time and time again to fill in for some starter that has been injured or left for free agency. You can't do that if you don't have a good solid team, and you can't have that without spreading the cap money around.

Well, some folks would rather see the Steelers grossly overpay big-name players who are clearly past their prime for past performance, like Miami is doing with Porter and which the Jets will start doing with Faneca next season. I just thank GOD that the same folks aren't in the Steelers' FO.

19ward86
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
$102 million??? Peyton is making like $160. jk

revefsreleets
03-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Rooney's obviously are cheap and don't know shit. Look how they screwed Ben on his contract! They never even sniff the Super Bowl, let alone win it...Hell, they can't even win their division or make the playoffs! 3 Rivers is a shithole, the laughingstock of the NFL. The payroll is always last in the league and all their players hate them.

It's clear if you want to learn all about how to effectively run a football team, there is ONLY one reliable source: Internet message boards!

tony hipchest
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
It's clear if you want to learn all about how to effectively run a football team, there is ONLY one reliable source: Internet message boards!anyone wanna go in on an AFL team with me?

whats funny is not only do the rooneys suck for not cutting players like harrison, they suck for not going after the "hot" free agents such as owens, moss, hall, or pac men.

oh, and ticket prices....

anyone check a patsboard lately? the patriots (who already had the highest ticket prices in the league) have raised them aghain this year an additional 40% :sofunny:

fans are dumping their season tix like hotcakes, and having trouble finding takers.

not to mention $50 bucks for parking in a full lot that will be occupied by mall visitors (an entertainment mall kraft and CBS is building).

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-26-2008, 06:29 PM
anyone check a patsboard lately? the patriots (who already had the highest ticket prices in the league) have raised them aghain this year an additional 40% :sofunny:

Well you know, those "19-0" and "Undeafted" patents arn't going to pay for themselves.:dang:

VTsteel
03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
i think its more about the greed the stinks up professional football..The steelers make plenty of money. Their revenue is within the top fifteen teams in the league. So i guess they raised ticket prices last year for troy's contract?

Close . . .

Rank............................................Cu rrent Value ..............................Revenue

16. Pittsburgh Steelers ............$929 (million) ...............................$198 (million)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz_07nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Rank.html

sixstringlass
03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
In addition to the reasons everyone else has given, I would say that I think the "cheap" comments really go back to the nationalistic slurs that the Irish and Scots are "cheap." "Rooney" is a very Irish name, and the name has a long-standing history in this country... the family name's been here a while.

faneca05
03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Everybody calls the Rooneys cheap because they don't give out huge contracts to free agents who dont deserve it. The fact of the matter is that the Rooneys arent cheap they are SENSIBLE! They spend the money on players who will be able to help the team most and on players who still have their best football ahead of them Not on the players teams like 49ers, raiders and redskins think will help them.

Steeldude
03-27-2008, 12:36 AM
it's called fans venting. every franchise has its share of fans that vent about one thing or another. i prefer fans who critique the front office and players over the fans who are nothing but lemmings. i realize some fans are completely ignorant when venting, but thankfully they are the minority.

never settle for second best.

rooney's cheap? no.

do they make some good decisions? yes.

do they make some dumb decisions? yes.

does every franchise make dumb decisions? yes.

is the steelers franchise better than half of the other NFL franchises? IMO, yes.

LVSteelersfan
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Rooneys Rock. Perhaps they don't always make the right choices, but they are pretty damn close to being right almost every time when it comes to letting people go. Building a team through the draft WORKS. Period. Cleveland will suffer for what their FO did this year. MARK MY WORDS. Washington, Oakland, Detroit JUST DON'T GET IT. The Rooneys and Steelers are the best.

Galax Steeler
03-27-2008, 03:30 AM
Hold on let me fix this for you.

Much better!

Thanks DACEB I must have hit the wrong key buttons or something.:cheers:

revefsreleets
03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
I think the real reason the Rooney's are called cheap is because they used to have to be. People forget that the family was 100% about football, and football only, and had no other revenue streams coming in. They couldn't spend money they didn't have, so they got a bit of a reputation, and it just carried over.

Stlrs4Life
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM

I agree. The only Rooney that I'm not a big fan of is Art Rooney III, he is the one who sold out to Ticketmaster.