PDA

View Full Version : Autographs = Money whoring.

Stu Pidasso
03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I got an email from the Steel City Mafia about an upcoming signing with Willie Parker, and frankly, it pissed me off. Here's the image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/StuPidasso2/16.jpg Read the fine print. Buy $50 worth of crap, meet Fast Willie, but he won't sign anything unless it's a football supplied by Perry Ellis. You can't even get in line without that $50 purchase. I call bullspit.

This to me equals whoring. Wasn't there a time where player appearances meant you go somewhere with your kids with something you wanted signed, maybe pay like 5 bucks, and left happy, and your kids had memories? I have a helmet with 45 signatures so far, but nowadays, no one will sign it unless I pay as little as $50, or attend some $100/plate dinner. When will it end?

Is the NFL behind this? Or is it the players, agents, bookies, event hosts, etc.? Frankly, I'm sick of it. I'm not going to any more signings.

Dylan
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
it more of the agents than the players

MACH1
03-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring' :chicken:

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
While I agree with you about our mutual disgust for the current state of things, I think the reason is the amount salaries have risen to. I know these numbers will be off, but you'll get my idea. In the 80's a player made $750k/yr and could make $30k doing an autograph signing session. Now that same player made $8M last year. He isn't going to sit in the Harrisburg Farm Show Complex signing balls for $30k. That's like us sitting around all day signing stuff for $10. It sucks but that's what it comes down to.

polamalu82
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring' :chicken:

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

:sofunny:
I found the reason for the high prices. Willie has hired this guy and is afraid of the Pimp Hand.

LaLNNt9Cngk

BlastFurnace
03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.

polamalu82
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.

I think I seen you on tv. Did you give him a coke then he gave you his jersey?:sofunny: J/K. Cool story man.:thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....:toofunny:

polamalu82
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....:toofunny:

Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.:sofunny:

Galax Steeler
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.:sofunny:

That was one of my favorite comercials.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Part of it is the player wants reimbursed for his time, his agent sets up the deal and gets a percentage of what the player is paid...and normally the reason you can't get in line without the purchase is because that's how the memoribilia company hosting it is going to make their money...you buy their product to be signed.

I remember back when I could go to a Cleveland Indians game and get players autographs without a problem. Now most players won't sign because the people wanting the autographs don't keep them for memories, they sell the items on ebay. That is also a part of why it costs to much to get an autograph at an event such as the one Parker is a part of...how many of those people are going to turn around and just sell the football on Ebay?

BlastFurnace
03-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I think I seen you on tv. Did you give him a coke then he gave you his jersey?:sofunny: J/K. Cool story man.:thumbsup:

LOL...I always liked that commercial.

The funny part of it was that some guys were standing around him...I think they were his son's. When Joe stuck his hand out to shake mine, I must have looked stunned, awe struck, and shocked at the same time....because they started laughing at me. His hand was as big as a baseball mit....or atleast it seemed that way.

I have heard he is a really nice guy. I know celebrities don't like to be bothered, but I couldn't resist. I knew there was a real good chance he was going to tell me to get lost, but I just took my chances. Even if he had told me to get lost, I would have understood...and I would still love the guy. He was my favorite Steeler when I was growing up and nothing can change that.

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.:sofunny:lol.....wow, we musta been thinkin the same thing at the same time...:jawdrop:

polamalu82
03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
lol.....wow, we musta been thinkin the same thing at the same time...:jawdrop:

Great minds think alike. :thumbsup: Of course, some may use this as a detractor of that saying.:sofunny:

nicesteel4life
03-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Ok as a collector I understand the frustration.
If you want FREE autographs you've basically got 3 choices
1. Go to training camp
2. Go to games
3. Go to Charity events, Pay to get in but your autographs are free
I worked for a few promotors in my day, there SHARKS, but the reason they are SHARKS is there Agents are. It truly isn't the Players fault, they cant cough without there agent wanting the tissue
I met Santonio Holmes at KMart last year at training camp, Me and my kids walked up to him, basically same situation all they wanted to do was say HI! First word out of his mouth was I cant sign anything my agent dont allow! He was very friendly and said hi to all of us. Thats all my kids wanted.

Kindjunior
03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
If you get them early it also a great way to collect autographs, I picked up a Willy signed football in his first year on Ebay for 35 bucks.

The_WARDen
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
it more of the agents than the players

Don't the agents work FOR the players?

missedgehead
06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Part of it is the player wants reimbursed for his time, his agent sets up the deal and gets a percentage of what the player is paid...and normally the reason you can't get in line without the purchase is because that's how the memoribilia company hosting it is going to make their money...you buy their product to be signed.

I remember back when I could go to a Cleveland Indians game and get players autographs without a problem. Now most players won't sign because the people wanting the autographs don't keep them for memories, they sell the items on ebay. That is also a part of why it costs to much to get an autograph at an event such as the one Parker is a part of...how many of those people are going to turn around and just sell the football on Ebay?

BINGO!! This is exactly why they do all this. They do not hardly sign because most people want the autographs for 1) selling on ebay or whatnot and/or 2) like an acquaintance of mine , they just want the autograph, not because they are a real fan. This really hurts the real fans who love these athletes. This is even spreading to the WWE Superstars. One time I saw an autograph session advertised for John Cena and you had to buy 60 dollars worth of stuff or whatever just to get on line to get his signature. Even the WWE Superstars (yes, I know alot of you probably do not like wrestling but it is still the same principle.) are starting to refuse autographs like the "real athletes" are. Sad.

mjm
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Great discussion. I am new to this sight and I can tell you I already like the forum. Anyway to add to the discussion if I may - I just heard through the grapevine that a new type of memorabilia is coming out that may take the actual "Autograph" biz to the next level.

Personal Video Greetings. - You can pay to have a Professional Athlete actually tell you or someone you know Happy Birthday, or Great job or anything. I heard you would be able to actually write the script. The reason I know this is becasue rumor has it that The Bus/Bettis is going to be the first one to do this. As much as some may think this is over the top - I think it's pretty awesome. My son loves Bettis and I will pay to have him tell my son that he did a great job getting straight A's this year in school. He will freak!:) I asked around about the price and it looks like big names will run about $450 per personal, custom made video, sent to you on DVD. If I am off on the details here I apologize. This is waht I am hearing. I don;t think anyone is doing this at this point...are they?

Thought I would share - As long as they sponsor Steelers - Then I like it!

LambertIsGod58
06-27-2008, 06:15 AM
BINGO!! This is exactly why they do all this. They do not hardly sign because most people want the autographs for 1) selling on ebay or whatnot and/or 2) like an acquaintance of mine , they just want the autograph, not because they are a real fan. This really hurts the real fans who love these athletes. This is even spreading to the WWE Superstars. One time I saw an autograph session advertised for John Cena and you had to buy 60 dollars worth of stuff or whatever just to get on line to get his signature. Even the WWE Superstars (yes, I know alot of you probably do not like wrestling but it is still the same principle.) are starting to refuse autographs like the "real athletes" are. Sad.

Although I am not a wrestling fan, I would have to dispute your take that wrestlers are not athletes. Many of them are former collegiate athletes. And what they do takes a high degree of athleticism.

LambertIsGod58
06-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Well, I am an avid collector. And I'd say I've spent alot of money over the last 6 years since I started collecting. But to me meeting these players means more to me than any autograph. If I can get a picture taken with a player, that's the ultimate for me. And what's that picture worth to anyone else? NOTHING. I hate to say that in a way I agree with these players charging money. They get paid to play the game for their respective teams. I'm not an NFL contract expert, but I'm not so sure that it stipulates them to sign autographs on their own time for free. I know we'd all like that to be the case. But I do know that I wouldn't like for my company to tell me that I need to work off the clock. In essence that's what they'd be doing. And besides, let's be honest for a minute. People are very annoying. I've been to many memorabilia shows and some people are never satisfied. Always asking the player for more. I was lucky. Lambert has always been my favorite player since I was 4 years old. And I've been very fortunate to get more from him than the average fan. Whether it be pictures with my family or signing inscriptions that he doesn't for most people. Anything I've ever asked him to sign, he's signed. But I've also seen him tell people no many times. Always in a nice way......LMAO!!!

LambertIsGod58
06-27-2008, 06:29 AM

I've been fortunate enough to see Joe several times. He was always my 2nd favorite behind Lambert. And the 1st time I met him he was less than amicable. Not sure if he was just having a bad day or what. But I had asked to get a picture with him and he said "I don't have time for that". Which I found funny he said the exact same thing to you. But the 2nd time I met him I asked again. And he said "it would be an honor" with a big smile on his face. And the 3rd time I met him, I had the pic of him an I blown up to an 8x10 and he seemed honored. I think it does get to them to think that people are there just to turn around and make money off their signatures. I've always thought Bradshaw was a jerk at these signings. His on-screen personna made me think differently at first. And Mel Blount let's his wife control everything. Or least use her as a scapegoat to say no. He wouldn't take a pic with anyone. And lastly, Swanny was just as bad as Bradshaw if not worse. This is all from my experiences....I'm sure some of you may disagree.

trish
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
It's definitely the agents who set those prices. Ridiculous..especially with the salaries these players (and agents) make. The lowest paid NFL player makes mor than enough money.

Even the guys who are recently drafted start charging big bucks for signings..before they ever take the field.