PDA

View Full Version : Elway like?

clevestinks
11-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Would anyone agree that Ben, in his game winning drives, is almost Elway like? Not to compare a HOF`er to a second year quarterback, but his calmness, and confidence when the games on the line, is a comparison if you ask me. Ben continues to make the key plays especially during the two minute drills, even right before halftime. I would much rather NOT play tight games, but when we do, I am glad that Ben is our field General.

tony hipchest
11-04-2005, 10:48 AM
ben wears #7 cause he always admired and wanted to mold his game after elway. he says he wants to be mentionned in the same breath as montanna, elway, marino, when all is said and done and be a 1st ballot h.o.f.er. the similarities are definitely there. lets just hope he doesnt lose 3 sb's before he wins 2.

18-1 regular season record. plus the 11-0 in his final college season. dude is just not used to losing.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Not only did Ben hold his composure on the final drive, but he did it after tearing his knee up in the first quarter. Told the coach at half time that his knee hurts but will only come out of the game if only if "he" feels hes hurting the team, played the entire game hurt, and in the end got us in the position to win the game.

Im glad the Giants played their hand with Rivers and not Ben, for the Eli tarde.

Prosdo
11-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Funny you should say that Cleve.

?John Elway did it 47 times over the course of his 16-season Hall of Fame career. Ben Roethlisberger has already done it seven times in 1 1/2 seasons.

Elway was known for bringing his team from behind in the fourth quarter to win and Roethlisberger has fast earned that reputation himself after doing it again Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens.

Seven times Roethlisberger has taken his team from behind in the fourth quarter to a victory, twice this season. That's a large percentage of his 19 total victories (against two losses) including playoffs.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/home.htm

I think the thing I like best about Ben is when he is in a tight spot and there isn't much time left. You still have all the confidence in the world in him. He is very calm and composed. He leads the offense with a confidence which just helps even more. As BIG said I'm glad Ben is in Pittsburgh and not elsewhere.

BB2W
11-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I think if most people compared Ben to a great QB of the past it would be Elway... I have always thought they were similar considering their scrambling ability and the comeback victories. The biggest differences are size, and Elways cannon of an arm compared to Bens touch passes.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I was just thinking about this today at work..What QB would you compare Ben too. AFter the obvious answer of, There is no comparison, He's one of a king :wink:

I would say you 'd have to choose Elway as a measuring stick for Ben at this point in his career. Escapability, big arm, intelligent, smart w/ the football, composure in the pocket..

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-04-2005, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't compare him to anybody because he is doing things no other quarterback in nfl history has done.

soniczilla
11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't compare him to anybody because he is doing things no other quarterback in nfl history has done.

He's definitely established his own brand of football style and I love it. Although becoming the next Marino or Elway would be stretch, in my mind, I think he'll definitely end up more deserving of the accolades than Steve Young or Troy Aikman.

clevestinks
11-06-2005, 07:46 AM
He's definitely established his own brand of football style and I love it. Although becoming the next Marino or Elway would be stretch, in my mind, I think he'll definitely end up more deserving of the accolades than Steve Young or Troy Aikman.

As long as he gets us the rings. I like a Elway comparison the best.
It is such a relief to have a qb that makes us feel like we always have a chance to win,

shevdog
11-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Would anyone agree that Ben, in his game winning drives, is almost Elway like? Not to compare a HOF`er to a second year quarterback, but his calmness, and confidence when the games on the line, is a comparison if you ask me. Ben continues to make the key plays especially during the two minute drills, even right before halftime. I would much rather NOT play tight games, but when we do, I am glad that Ben is our field General.

Hum...

Good point. Time will tell if he has those late drive Elway-like qualities. I'm hoping that holds true through the years!