PDA

View Full Version : WTF is going on in Ann Arbor?

revefsreleets
03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Does this explain why WVU produces players like Pac Man?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/17042611.html?page=all&c=y

Michigan lineman says values 'eroded'
Boren critical of program, leaves team
Published on Thursday, Mar 27, 2008

From Beacon Journal wire services

Offensive lineman Justin Boren says he's left the Michigan football team because the program's ''family values have eroded.''
The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Boren would have been one of two returning starters on the offensive line next season and the Wolverines' most experienced lineman. Boren, a sophomore, started every game last season, either at center or left guard.
Boren left the team Monday. On Wednesday he released a statement saying in part: ''Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.
''I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. . . . That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave.''
Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage.
In comments reported by the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and the Ann Arbor News, Rodriguez said Tuesday that he would not discuss Boren's decision.
''I don't know if we'll have any more (attrition), but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan,'' Rodriguez said.

Lord Stiller
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I think Michigan really screwed up getting Rodriguez

They had 6'7" QB Mallett ready to takeover this year but he transferred. Mallett has all the skills to be the top QB in college football

Dino 6 Rings
03-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Mallett is now at Arkansas, the Philosphy of Rich Rod doesn't have a "pro" style offense. Not good for guys looking for a future in the NFL.

I think the kids at Michigan realize its going to take time to "rebuild" the program to match Rich Rod's style, and since they are probably tired of losing to OSU every year, losing for a couple more years doesn't seem like fun to the upper classmen.

Jeremy
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
:blah:

College football. I'm actually a little upset that Michigan hired that dude. Michigan was a great source of NFL caliber talent on offense. Now they'll be another school to avoid on draft day.

Kind of sad.

Dino 6 Rings
03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes College football...hence the Thread Title, NCAA Football.

my friend is an Ohio State fan, he loves the Michigan Rich Rod Hire.

millwalldavey
03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Michigan fan. Really starting to wonder what yhe issue is. I was hopwful about this hire, but I'm starting to regress and wish they stayed in-house.

Loooooooooooong year coming

Jeremy
03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Michigan fan. Really starting to wonder what yhe issue is. I was hopwful about this hire, but I'm starting to regress and wish they stayed in-house.

Loooooooooooong year coming

He's a guy with huge character issues who runs a high school offense. Ron English would have been a better hire.

millwalldavey
03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I hoped they would promote English. I was happy at first with RR... I guess I thought Michigan is too classy of a place to be effected by the character flaws of a coach or those he recruits... maybe i was wrong. It's gonna be hard to root for them now.

I guess I'll follow the PAnthers a bit closer for a few years.

Dino 6 Rings
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
RR is flawed, as a person, hence the problem children he always surrounds himself with.

Pac Man Jones was a Rich Rod guy...nuff said.

revefsreleets
03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
He's a guy with huge character issues who runs a high school offense. Ron English would have been a better hire.

RR's offense IS Urban Meyer's offense, et al. Rodriguez used to hold a school to educate other programs how to defend against it*. Why? Because when it's properly manned and executed (at the college level) it CAN'T be stopped. The system isn't flawed, the man is.

*Because someone will ask (someone always asks), OSU ran a version of the spread option with Troy Smith as a direct result of attending RR's "school". Here's more:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/news/story?id=3168061&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Coaches have come from all over to West Virginia each winter to pick up tidbits of the spread formation and see if it might work in their own systems. Usually the coaches are from programs that don't play the Mountaineers.

Urban Meyer studied the spread scheme before his coaching stints at Bowling Green and Utah.

After Tulane went 12-0 in 1998 and averaged 45 points per game, Northwestern paid a visit to Rodriguez and introduced the system to the Big Ten. Rodriguez said later he may have given away too much information.

Other coaches came to Morgantown from places like Ohio State, Nebraska, Florida State and Michigan-beater Appalachian State to take notes. And next fall, Michigan fans will have the spread on their side.

millwalldavey
03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
our high school is using aspects of it this season coming

Jeremy
03-28-2008, 08:38 PM
First off, it's not a spread offense.

A spread offense focuses on passing the football.

What Rodriguez and Meyer run is an old school Wing T formation with the quarterback in the shotgun and an extra receiver.

It can be stopped, it's stopped all the time. If it was such a perfect offense, the NFL would have teams running it right now.

MasterOfPuppets
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
First off, it's not a spread offense.

A spread offense focuses on passing the football.

What Rodriguez and Meyer run is an old school Wing T formation with the quarterback in the shotgun and an extra receiver.

It can be stopped, it's stopped all the time. If it was such a perfect offense, the NFL would have teams running it right now.AND .....WVU would have some national titles......but they don't !!! :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
It got Shut down by PITT this season. Just like all other offenses, eventually, the defenses will catch up and shut them down.

He needs a lot of speed in the backfield to be successful with this Offense in the Big 10 and right now, the speed isn't there. Look for at least 2 mediocre years out of Michigan before he gets the talent he needs to run this offense.

Jeremy
03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
The offense hasn't been invented that can't be stopped. The Wing T was unstoppable, until someone figured out how to stop it. The option was unstoppable, until someone figured out how to stop it. Same with the run and shoot (spread) and now with the spread option (shotgun wing t).

revefsreleets
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I repeat: When it is properly manned and executed, it can't be stopped at the college level. That includes having talented players at all the positions. And Pitt didn't as much stop it as WVU failed to execute in that game....West Virginia looked like they were all out with Pac Man til 4 and the titty bar the night before in that game.

And if it's just some rehash of an old offense, why would coaches be coming from around the country to study it?

When RR exercises the recruiting muscle that Michigan possesses, and the right players come in, UM will be a juggernaut to be reckoned with...IF Rodriguez can get the right kinds of kids and run a disciplined program. That's the real question...

Jeremy
03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
I repeat: When it is properly manned and executed, it can't be stopped at the college level. That includes having talented players at all the positions. And Pitt didn't as much stop it as WVU failed to execute in that game....West Virginia looked like they were all out with Pac Man til 4 and the titty bar the night before in that game.

And if it's just some rehash of an old offense, why would coaches be coming from around the country to study it?

When RR exercises the recruiting muscle that Michigan possesses, and the right players come in, UM will be a juggernaut to be reckoned with...IF Rodriguez can get the right kinds of kids and run a disciplined program. That's the real question...

:wink02:

Nobody has ever accused football coaches of being the smartest people on the planet.

revefsreleets
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah, especially ones at little unsuccessful programs like OSU and Nebraska.

Pat White is a great running QB...but he makes Mike Vick look like Dan Marino when it comes to passing.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, especially ones at little unsuccessful programs like OSU and Nebraska.

Pat White is a great running QB...but he makes Mike Vick look like Dan Marino when it comes to passing.

LOL....OSU used a watered down version of the spread for one season and Nebraska went away from the option as well.

revefsreleets
04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
And your point? Wait, let me guess. You know more about football than the coaches do...bleep blop bloop.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
And your point? Wait, let me guess. You know more about football than the coaches do...bleep blop bloop.

No revs, nobody knows more about sports than you. :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
i highly doubt that the fans will want to wait 2-3 years to rebuild. there was an article in the newspaper that rich made them do full contact drills, and some of the players were not happy about it.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
i highly doubt that the fans will want to wait 2-3 years to rebuild. there was an article in the newspaper that rich made them do full contact drills, and some of the players were not happy about it.

Just look at the juniors who skipped their senior seasons.

That's pretty telling.

TackleMeBen
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Just look at the juniors who skipped their senior seasons.

That's pretty telling.

yep. they should have promoted ron english.

revefsreleets
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
No revs, nobody knows more about sports than you. :thumbsup:
Oh, I don't know...at least 1 of your 3 personalities claims to.

Dino 6 Rings
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Rich Rod's offense could be very successful in the Big Ten if he gets the talent quickly to run it. Illinois offense is already using the running qb, so Big Ten teams will already be practicing to play against it. It took the Big East by storm, no doubt, but Pitt showed this season, that if you build your entire defense around stopping one team, which is what Pitt did, you can stop the Spread O (Shotgun Wing T Option) offense.

Pitt had been getting killed by mobile qbs for 2 seasons, including the kid from USF and the former QB at Mich State in the 07 season. In 08, stopping the mobile qb became their focus. That helped them to clamp down on the WVU Offense. The key for the Big 10 teams, is do they have the smaller but faster defensive linemen that will be required to shut down that style O? That's what Rich Rod had better pray never happens, or he could be one of the shorters term coaches in Mich history.

revefsreleets
04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
But that's myopic thinking...you can't design your defense around shutting down just one kind of offense, or you'll get killed when you come up against it's opposite. That's why it's so difficult AT THE COLLEGE level to design a defense that can stop the spread...it leaves you vulnerable as Hell to a Wisconsin-style O.

But, hey, what do I know...?

Dino 6 Rings
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Its very true, it is myopic to design a defense to stop one style of offense, but when that style of offense has gained 800 yards and almost 90 points against you in the last two games, you tend to lean toward stopping it first and foremost.

We'll see how Michigan evolves with the Rich Rod O, it could succeed in the Big 10 against the slower d-linemen. But like everything, the defenses will eventually catch up. The SEC teams are already doing well against Teebow and the Florida Offense. We'll see in this next season if the Florida Spread O is as effective as it has been for the last 2 seasons.

Dino 6 Rings
04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Rumors about Justin Boren, the Michan O-lineman that is transferring, he's going to transfer to Ohio State, his younger brother is going to commit to Ohio State, and their dad, who is a Michigan Alum is going to pay tuition for the year Boren has to sit for the in conference transfer to Ohio State.

Rich Rod is a mess, Michigan has no idea how big it messed up hiring this guy.

TackleMeBen
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Rumors about Justin Boren, the Michan O-lineman that is transferring, he's going to transfer to Ohio State, his younger brother is going to commit to Ohio State, and their dad, who is a Michigan Alum is going to pay tuition for the year Boren has to sit for the in conference transfer to Ohio State.

well if he wants to go to osu, then i have this to say to him http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/150_Pirate_web_pics_door_arse.jpg

and as far as saying michigan has no idea how big it messed up.. we will see about that when he is winning games and everyone is talking about how good U of M is.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Yeah, and the Giants were gonna axe Coughlin before last season because he is a "mess"

The guy hasnt coached a game in Ann Arbour yet and he is already a failure?????

I smell a ...............HATER. That or you are a WVU fan stompin on some sour grapes maybe??

millwalldavey
04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm hoping he is going to be a good one... he was fine at WVU... I still preferr English...

Dino 6 Rings
04-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, and the Giants were gonna axe Coughlin before last season because he is a "mess"

I smell a ...............HATER. That or you are a WVU fan stompin on some sour grapes maybe??

Read My Profile, I Hate WVU, so yes I am a Hater, GO PITT.

Rich Rod has guys bailing out on his team, seniors, transferring to the rival, left WVU and took player files on his way out the door, didn't have his team ready in the biggest game of the year, at 11-0 lost at Home LOST to a Rival, and is fighting to not have to pay the Buy out that he signed and agreed to when he got his extension after flirting with the Alabama Job.

He will do really well at Michigan, beating the bottom feeders of the Big 10, all 6 of them, and then losing big games to Mich State, Ohio State and going 500 against PSU. Rich Rod is a mess. I stand by it until he wins Michigan a National Title like Lloyd actually did while coach of Michigan.

TackleMeBen
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Carr was becoming way too soft. the players werent playing as hard and that showed in their games.

In a scrimage game, Rich told his players that they were soft and that they better tighten up and play harder. if they dont like it, they can hit the door and i am sure that there is someone else that would love to have a chance to play maize and blue.

Dino 6 Rings
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Carr was fired for being 1-6 against Tressell. Bottom Line. That game means more than any other on the schedule and Carr was owned by OSU once Jim T got there. That was it. he wins that game in 07 and he's still Michigan's coach.

Jeremy
04-11-2008, 08:25 AM

When every draft worthy junior leaves the team when you take the job, that should tell you something right off the bat.

revefsreleets
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Conversely, when every draft worthy junior but one STAYS (as is the case with OSU this year), that should tell you something about the character of the coach and the class of the program.

Rhee Rhee
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
looks like terrelle pryor made a good decision... yee go buckeyes!

millwalldavey
04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
looks like terrelle pryor made a good decision... yee go buckeyes!

As much as my heart broke over his decision, I think he made the right call. If it were 5 years down the road, he may have chosen Michigan.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
When every draft worthy junior leaves the team when you take the job, that should tell you something right off the bat.

I will wait until he actually coaches a season before throwing him under the bus.

LOOK OUT......THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Jeremy
04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I will wait until he actually coaches a season before throwing him under the bus.

LOOK OUT......THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Slimeball coaches have won before and they'll win again. I don't expect this piece of white trash to be any different. He'll recruit a lot of thugs to Michigan and win some games while tarnishing the reputation of the university.

Of course he'll earn free pass after free pass from tools like Kony Kornheiser in the process.

MasterOfPuppets
04-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Read My Profile, I Hate WVU, so yes I am a Hater,
. preach it brotha !!! :tt02:

millwalldavey
04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Slimeball coaches have won before and they'll win again. I don't expect this piece of white trash to be any different. He'll recruit a lot of thugs to Michigan and win some games while tarnishing the reputation of the university.

This is my concern about him. Its a shame that it seems like a lot of these types of players are coming to great universities (see all of the issues of late at PSU and elsewhere) and the coaches seem to let a lot slide.

Dino 6 Rings
04-12-2008, 08:42 AM
This is my concern about him. Its a shame that it seems like a lot of these types of players are coming to great universities (see all of the issues of late at PSU and elsewhere) and the coaches seem to let a lot slide.

makes me want to PUKE reading PSU and Great Universities in the same sentence!

millwalldavey
04-12-2008, 08:44 AM

I'm not a fan of PSU football (well... I'm a michigan fan first... i like to see PSU win, just not one game on the schedule) but they should be considered among the great football schools. At least in my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I dont understand. Was Rich Rod considered a slimeball coach when WVU was winning games, or was that overlooked because of his record? I really dont follow or care about WVU at all.

I just thought he was an updated version of Spurrier, but not as profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery.

I just think that Michigan is a traditional run the ball and play great D kind of program that is now being turned upside down with a spread offense and more speed needed on defense and the turnover of players is expected to get the right kind of athlete to fit the system.

Nobody outside of their programs much liked Barry Switzer or Spurrier, but they won games.

I'll reserve judgement on RR until I see the product on the field. BTW, I hate that "sweater vest "look almost as much as "the hoodie"

Jeremy
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;385573]I dont understand. Was Rich Rod considered a slimeball coach when WVU was winning games, or was that overlooked because of his record?[QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much. There are a lot of stories about him on the recruiting trail. There are handful of high school in Western Pa that have banned him from campus.

The way the story goes, the AD at Johnstown HS told Rod that if he showed up on campus again he'd call the cops.

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Don't worry, over 90% of PSU hates Pitt to.

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not a fan of PSU football (well... I'm a michigan fan first... i like to see PSU win, just not one game on the schedule) but they should be considered among the great football schools. At least in my opinion.

They should be more then considered a great university. Like Michigan, teams with storied Football pasts with bright futures. Michigan though if the track of players getting arrested that followed Rich at WVU, will bring Michigan a bad name.

millwalldavey
04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
They should be more then considered a great university. Like Michigan, teams with storied Football pasts with bright futures. Michigan though if the track of players getting arrested that followed Rich at WVU, will bring Michigan a bad name.

I would consider PSU a top 10 program in football history. PSU has had a pile of arrests the last 2 years... but I often wonder living in PA and not MI how much happens there that I do not hear about here...

Did i just see a report last week about Mario Manningham admitting to testing positive for marijuana when he was at UM?

I hope Rod does not bring the negative element there... will the alumni put up with it? I hope not, but if they win, a blind eye may be turned.

millwalldavey
04-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I hope to god this Sam McGuffie kid turns out good... he seems like an intelligent level-headded kid. He's aking the whole family to Ann Arbor!

Watch out Big10! Wh the hell is Terrelle Pryor anyway! /jk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IJ17ODo_s

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Don't worry, over 90% of PSU hates Pitt to.

Seriously...that makes me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Feed the hate. I love it :thumbsup:

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I would consider PSU a top 10 program in football history. PSU has had a pile of arrests the last 2 years... but I often wonder living in PA and not MI how much happens there that I do not hear about here...

Did i just see a report last week about Mario Manningham admitting to testing positive for marijuana when he was at UM?

I hope Rod does not bring the negative element there... will the alumni put up with it? I hope not, but if they win, a blind eye may be turned.

All you have to do is look at Miami. Those alumni have put up with all kinds of thuggery in order to have a top football team. Same with USC, Nebraska, etc. Everything is forgiven when you win a BcS Bowl Game.