PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV and HDTV

Shoes
03-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey Folks

Living in Colorado there aren't many Steeler games on. I'm going to switch over to Direct TV so I can get "Sunday Ticket" and will also buy a HDTV. I'm leaning more toward 50" plasma. If anyone has one, I would appreciate your views on the brand you have.

shoes :tt02:

NJarhead
03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey Folks

Living in Colorado there aren't many Steeler games on. I'm going to switch over to Direct TV so I can get "Sunday Ticket" and will also buy a HDTV. I'm leaning more toward 50" plasma. If anyone has one, I would appreciate your views on the brand you have.

shoes :tt02:

47" Vizio. I love it.

Jeremy
03-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't do the HDTV thing, but I promise that you won't regret switching to DirecTV.

MACH1
03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
50" Panasonic plasma. With directv and sunday ticket.

Dino 6 Rings
03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I have Direct TV and went with a Sony Bravia 46" LCD. Its great. I prefer the LCD set up over the Plasma because there is Zero reflection in an LCD. Plasma has reflections. I swear by my Sony Bravia, have never had a problem, its almost 2 years old, and it works flawlessly with the Direct TV HD Setup.

Remember, when buying something like a HD TV, you truly get what you pay for.

NJarhead
03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
You're lucky too, because they have really come down in price. You can probably get a 60" for the same price we paid for our 47"-50."

MACH1
03-29-2008, 12:32 PM
You're lucky too, because they have really come down in price. You can probably get a 60" for the same price we paid for our 47"-50."

Yep, actually you can get a 65" for that price now. :dang:

Should have waited another year.

GBMelBlount
03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
CNET is a good place to read professional reviews of HDTV's. I think Pioneer & Sony are usually top notch though expensive and Panasonic & Samsung are usually very good values.

Also, you may get a better deal on a 720 and still have as good or better picture than a 1080. There are several factors that are MORE important than resolution if you are choosing between 720 & 1080 HDTV's. If your viewing distance is > 1.5 times the diagonal it is usually difficult to see much of a difference between the two anyway.

Stlrs4Life
03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Great choice on the Direct TV, we got it and we have a 42" Samsung Plasma EHD TV, and we love it.

NJarhead
03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Yep, actually you can get a 65" for that price now. :dang:

Should have waited another year.

Tell me about it. Well, maybe we can upgrade and introduce our current flat screens to the bedroom. :smile:

MACH1
03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Tell me about it. Well, maybe we can upgrade and introduce our current flat screens to the bedroom. :smile:

Thats what I keep trying to talk the wife into but so far its a no go. But she does want to get rid of the clunky old tv in the bed room for a wall hanger so there is still hope. :smile:

Atlanta Dan
03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
CNET is a good place to read professional reviews of HDTV's. I think Pioneer & Sony are usually top notch though expensive and Panasonic & Samsung are usually very good values.

Also, you may get a better deal on a 720 and still have as good or better picture than a 1080. There are several factors that are MORE important than resolution if you are choosing between 720 & 1080 HDTV's. If your viewing distance is > 1.5 times the diagonal it is usually difficult to see much of a difference between the two anyway.

Agreed - the CNET site is excellent

http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-world/?tag=dir

NJarhead
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Thats what I keep trying to talk the wife into but so far its a no go. But she does want to get rid of the clunky old tv in the bed room for a wall hanger so there is still hope. :smile:

Definitely. I've considered "inadvertently" knocking the bedroom tv onto the floor.....:smile: "ooops."

revefsreleets
04-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Have had a Samsung DLP for 2+ years and am very pleased.

I sure hope AT&T U-verse steps up and pays the ranson for Sunday Ticket.

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Have had a Samsung DLP for 2+ years and am very pleased.

I sure hope AT&T U-verse steps up and pays the ranson for Sunday Ticket.

IMO DirecTV will pay whatever it takes to keep exclusivity on SundayTicket; they will lose a lot of subscribers who are willing to forfeit such cable options as on demand video or bundling phone/TV/Internet if they lose the SundayTicket monopoly

Hammer67
04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
My :twocents: :

I am a home theater enthusiast and made the jump to HD before any of the cable or satellite providers were carrying any HD channels! I am still using a 1080i Toshiba rear projection set from 2000 in my living room. I had it calibrated professionally (which I highly recommend) and it is still going strong. I am shopping for a set for the bedroom and have settled on 37". At this size, you are borderline for the benefits of 720p vs. 1080p. I think I may go 1080p simply in case I decide to use the set as a gaming machine or hooking it up to a PC. If you are going to want to do that...1080p is the way to go.

That being said...if you are just watching TV, then 720p is ok on a smaller set and 1080p should be your option on anything larger then 37".

Be careful when choosing and read reviews carefully...especially reviews by people with trained eyes. You could go on amazon.com and anyone can review a set, but a review that states "it looks great" from someone who has never seen an HDTV before might not help. You want pro reviews.

Try an enthusiast forum like www.hometheaterspot.com (http://www.hometheaterspot.com) for techy reviews. I know that even within the same manufacturer there can be issues. Sharp has a few types of 37" LCD's out and at least one of them displays way to much red push. So, be careful and verify model numbers before you buy....

SteelerFanInATL
04-05-2008, 01:20 PM
47" Vizio. I love it.

My choice would be Vizio as well. Have read some good articles concerning thier quality and price.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-05-2008, 07:36 PM
50" panasonic Plasma, surround sound, HDTV direct tv, sunday ticket, :popcorn: and it's all good.

revefsreleets
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
IMO DirecTV will pay whatever it takes to keep exclusivity on SundayTicket; they will lose a lot of subscribers who are willing to forfeit such cable options as on demand video or bundling phone/TV/Internet if they lose the SundayTicket monopoly

It's a battle of attrition, though, and it's also a matter of who has the cash and clout to "outlast" each other. Dish has just that one thing, and it's a delicate balance...I think Ma Bell (AT&T...it really is Ma Bell all over again) entering the equation will tip the scales.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
i know nothing about this stuff! I have an Olevia 42", with a high end cable package. I get lotsa football, crazy documentary channels and that makes my life complete!

Preacher
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a Phillips 42 inch LCD.

I love it. 1080 P

Now, make sure of a couple things.

1. You want a HIGH contrast ration, at least 4000:1 or higher. If Plasma, probably 6000:1 or higher, otherwise, it may not have TRUE blacks. ALso, as others have said, Plasma has two pieces of glass put together with the plasma in the middle. That means reflections are pretty bad if you have it in a place that light can get to it. It also means that the blacks have to be black enough to block out light coming from behind the screen, which is why you need a pretty high contrast ratio on plasma.

2. How far are you going to be from the TV? The closer you are, the smaller the TV you should get. HDEF does NOT look good if you have a big screen and you are sitting 10 feet away.

Here is a link for viewing distances vs. size of TV.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

3. Make sure, whatever you get, that you have native resolution possible, This will enable the tv to talk to the DIRECTV box and automatically change the TV resolution to the channel resolution broadcasted.

4. Don't allow teh tv to play with the sidebars too often... it will burn the screen.

Just a few things to help... hope it did!

MACH1
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a Phillips 42 inch LCD.

I love it. 1080 P

Now, make sure of a couple things.

1. You want a HIGH contrast ration, at least 4000:1 or higher. If Plasma, probably 6000:1 or higher, otherwise, it may not have TRUE blacks. ALso, as others have said, Plasma has two pieces of glass put together with the plasma in the middle. That means reflections are pretty bad if you have it in a place that light can get to it. It also means that the blacks have to be black enough to block out light coming from behind the screen, which is why you need a pretty high contrast ratio on plasma.

2. How far are you going to be from the TV? The closer you are, the smaller the TV you should get. HDEF does NOT look good if you have a big screen and you are sitting 10 feet away.

Here is a link for viewing distances vs. size of TV.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

3. Make sure, whatever you get, that you have native resolution possible, This will enable the tv to talk to the DIRECTV box and automatically change the TV resolution to the channel resolution broadcasted.

4. Don't allow teh tv to play with the sidebars too often... it will burn the screen.

Just a few things to help... hope it did!

Have to disagree with you a little here. Set your DTV box to Original Format or Native and let the TV do the decoding of resolution because your TV probably has a whole lot better tuner or decoder than what DTV has in their box's. The TV doesnt talk to the DTV box the box puts out whatever settings you have set it to, if you only want to watch everything in 1080i then set your box to 1080i and its faster on changing channels because it doesnt have to switch between resolutions and switch to it.

I have our DTV box set to Original Format and only have 720p and 1080i selected for resolution. Anything under 720p the dtv box will up convert to at least 720p, but if the source is already 720p the box will pass it unmolested to the tv.

Here's a good place for information. http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

Hammer67
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Have to disagree with you a little here. Set your DTV box to Original Format or Native and let the TV do the decoding of resolution because your TV probably has a whole lot better tuner or decoder than what DTV has in their box's. The TV doesnt talk to the DTV box the box puts out whatever settings you have set it to, if you only want to watch everything in 1080i then set your box to 1080i and its faster on changing channels because it doesnt have to switch between resolutions and switch to it.

I have our DTV box set to Original Format and only have 720p and 1080i selected for resolution. Anything under 720p the dtv box will up convert to at least 720p, but if the source is already 720p the box will pass it unmolested to the tv.

Here's a good place for information. http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

Very true...I had my set professionally calibrated and I set the main DTV box to 1080i. All channels are upconverted to 1080i. Any 4:3 standard def material is displayed with black side bars as to preserve the original picture (no stretching). Your channels will change much faster this way, not having to pop into different resolutions.

JPPT1974
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
It's like now you don't have a choice
As Digitial cable is taking over the world
And everybody is going to be forced to get digital cable!

Preacher
04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Very true...I had my set professionally calibrated and I set the main DTV box to 1080i. All channels are upconverted to 1080i. Any 4:3 standard def material is displayed with black side bars as to preserve the original picture (no stretching). Your channels will change much faster this way, not having to pop into different resolutions.

I have found one major problem with that:

1. the black boxes--- over time, will burn the screen... unless you get a tv that SPECIFICALLY will not screen burn.

When mine sits at a lower one, it actually looks really good. . . actually probably better than normal. At least it seams that way.

However,

That is a GReAT idea about faster channel changing... that does drive me nuts.

MACH1
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
The newer generations of plasmas don't "burn in" anymore than regular CRT tv's do. But if you do notice some screen retention all you have to do is put the tv on full screen for 20-30 minutes and that takes care of it, just like new.

Hammer67
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I have found one major problem with that:

1. the black boxes--- over time, will burn the screen... unless you get a tv that SPECIFICALLY will not screen burn.

When mine sits at a lower one, it actually looks really good. . . actually probably better than normal. At least it seams that way.

However,

That is a GReAT idea about faster channel changing... that does drive me nuts.

I have heard these warnings for years. The only time I have ever seen screen burn in is on ancient monochrome monitors (I work in IT and see a TON of static screens) and some first generation plasmas that left a sports ticker running on the bottom of the screen. My CRT RPTV has been running strong since 2002 with the bars with no noticeable affect. I also am a gamer and have yet to see any burn in.

I do mix up my viewing with a lot of HD channels and anamorphic DVD's so the screen is full a decent amount of time.

Your mileage may vary with plasma screens, though.

Elvis
04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
My lovely wife got me a 55" Sony HDMI HDTV for last fathers day/birthday/christmas/anniversary...
:wink02:
I also have Direct TV, but if the other had the NFL Sunday Ticket (which I have gotten for the last 6 or 7 years I guess) I switch in a heartbeat. You get alot more channels than Direct TV on Dishnetwork.

revefsreleets
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Warning warning warning! The ONLY downside of the DLP is the lamp will burn out. Mine JUST did after 2 1/2 years, almost RIGHT after I posted this. I found a replacement for a buck fitty, but it'll be a few days. It only takes a minute to replace too. The plus side is great picture, deep dark blacks, impossible to burn in, and DLP's are a little on the less expensive side. I wouldn't let the lamp burning out every few years deter you.

It's probably a little my fault too...I play my 360 games on it, and I also have been known to forget and leave the TV on overnight...

GBMelBlount
04-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Warning warning warning! The ONLY downside of the DLP is the lamp will burn out. Mine JUST did after 2 1/2 years, almost RIGHT after I posted this. I found a replacement for a buck fitty, but it'll be a few days. It only takes a minute to replace too. The plus side is great picture, deep dark blacks, impossible to burn in, and DLP's are a little on the less expensive side. I wouldn't let the lamp burning out every few years deter you.

It's probably a little my fault too...I play my 360 games on it, and I also have been known to forget and leave the TV on overnight...

I saw some Mitsubishi 56-61" DLP's in Best Buy last summer and I thought the picture looked extremely good, ESPECIALLY for the price. I haven't shopped but $150 sounds pretty cheap for a replacement lamp.

Shoes
04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the info!

I'm thinking about a Panasonic 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV Model TH-50PZ85U at this time. Probably won't buy one until late May or June when my Dish contract is up. So I'm hoping the prices will come down even more.

Thanks

shoes

Hammer67
04-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Another thing to add to this thread. Peeps, don't spend over $25 for HDMI cables...Best Buy wants to sell you cables for $120+ (Monster). You can get cables that do EXACTLY the same thing for $12 online.

Public Service Announcement completed...

Preacher
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I have heard these warnings for years. The only time I have ever seen screen burn in is on ancient monochrome monitors (I work in IT and see a TON of static screens) and some first generation plasmas that left a sports ticker running on the bottom of the screen. My CRT RPTV has been running strong since 2002 with the bars with no noticeable affect. I also am a gamer and have yet to see any burn in.

I do mix up my viewing with a lot of HD channels and anamorphic DVD's so the screen is full a decent amount of time.

Your mileage may vary with plasma screens, though.

I have a 55 inch screen that burned after 6 months of use.

I think the number that they claim is 60-70% use of full screen will avoid the burn.

Preacher
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Another thing to add to this thread. Peeps, don't spend over $25 for HDMI cables...Best Buy wants to sell you cables for $120+ (Monster). You can get cables that do EXACTLY the same thing for $12 online.

Let's make that a little more general, OK Hammer. . ..

DONT BUY ANYTHING AT BEST BUY.. Chances are, you WILL find it cheaper and better quality somewhere else.

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Did the picture degrade over time or did the bulb suddenly just give it up?

I have a 55" Sony 1080p LCoS rear projection purchased in September 2006 (very pleased with the set even though Sony is getting out of producing rear projection to focus on LCD production) and know the bulb will go at some point - losing the bulb during a Steelers game would not be a good thing so i am hoping i will get some advance warning.

Shoes
04-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Well being a tree stump in these matters (I was thinking about getting the TV at Best Buy) where do you get these cables on line and if I would get the Tv on line is it hard to setup?

shoes

Preacher
04-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Well being a tree stump in these matters (I was thinking about getting the TV at Best Buy) where do you get these cables on line and if I would get the Tv on line is it hard to setup?

shoes

First... Best buy isn't a good place to buy the TV.

Actually, Costco will give you a very good deal. By your tv there if you can.

Secondly, As Hammer said, you can go online to buy the cables. All you need is for the connection to be made through the HDMI cable. If you buy a HD Sat receiver, they usually COME with a HDMI cable. You only need the "Monster Cable" type if you are running your signal a LONG way. . . and even then, I doubt it will be much of a difference... Hammer will have to answer that one.

So. . . buy the TV. Look in the box, some may come with a HDMI cable. Get HDEF DirecTV. They WILL give you an HDMI cable. That is all you need!

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I saw some Mitsubishi 56-61" DLP's in Best Buy last summer and I thought the picture looked extremely good, ESPECIALLY for the price. I haven't shopped but $150 sounds pretty cheap for a replacement lamp.
$ 150 is definetly cheap. i was looking at a DLP on ebay that was local to me. they had a buy it now for $450, the add said it was about 2 yrs old, and i believe it was a 56" samsung , it needed a bulb. the cheapest i found the bulb online was $420. so unless i get a 5 yr guarantee on the bulb, there's noway in hell i'd buy that product.
there was also no remote......after pricing the bulb, i didn't bother to price the remote...

Hammer67
04-13-2008, 12:56 PM

shoes

Preacher is correct. And, length doesn't matter for HDMI with anything shorter then about 15 feet. HDMI is a digital signal, it either passes the signal or it doesn't. There are better made cables and cheaply made cables out there, but Monster doesn't even come close...

Prime example of why you should never buy a TV at BEST BUY or any other brick and mortar. I am getting a 37" LCD for the bedroom...after researching and looking at deals, I found this Sharp at one of my favorite online shops, Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101109

The price, including shipping and taxes (basically $0 for both) is $1049.

Now, look at the same model from Best Buy's website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8590152&type=product&id=1190678017193

That's a $600 difference!!!!!!!!!!!!! $900 if you throw in shipping and taxes!

:shake01:

Long story short....Newegg wins every time. And don't forget the $15 HDMI cable from the same site. If you want decent custom lengths of ANY type of home theater or computer cables...check out www.monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com).

:thumbsup:

Hammer67
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM

shoes

In regards to setup...you:

1) Buy
2) Unbox
3) Place it where you want it
4) Plug power into outlet
5) Plug cable/satellite box in via HDMI cable
6) Power it up!

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy...

revefsreleets
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Did the picture degrade over time or did the bulb suddenly just give it up?

I have a 55" Sony 1080p LCoS rear projection purchased in September 2006 (very pleased with the set even though Sony is getting out of producing rear projection to focus on LCD production) and know the bulb will go at some point - losing the bulb during a Steelers game would not be a good thing so i am hoping i will get some advance warning.

I knew it was coming...the picture gets a little darker, real gradually, but it's the whole "boiling frog thing". I'd say I had 5-7 days, and I was under the impression that I'd have more like 3 weeks. I was actually online pricing bulbs when it popped. My suggestion is that the second you see any kind of anomaly go ahead and pick yourself up a new bulb.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I knew it was coming...the picture gets a little darker, real gradually, but it's the whole "boiling frog thing". I'd say I had 5-7 days, and I was under the impression that I'd have more like 3 weeks. I was actually online pricing bulbs when it popped. My suggestion is that the second you see any kind of anomaly go ahead and pick yourself up a new bulb.
5 - 7 days huh :scratchchin: ............i'd go to defcon 2 at first sign of imminent shutdown ......:thmbup:

MACH1
04-13-2008, 11:23 PM

shoes

For cables I usually get mine from here. (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp)

Hammer67
04-14-2008, 04:32 AM
For cables I usually get mine from here. (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp)

Monoprice is great....you can get a quality 100ft Cat 6 ethernet cable for $15. That's amazing. A cable of that size at Best Buy would be $200.

revefsreleets
04-14-2008, 08:00 AM
That's the thing, too. When you are at Best Buy or wherever they really put the full court press on you to buy the monster cable. And they are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced!

Hammer67
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
That's the thing, too. When you are at Best Buy or wherever they really put the full court press on you to buy the monster cable. And they are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced!

that's their profit killer at the store...cables. Why do you think they make you buy a separate usb cable when you buy a printer?

revefsreleets
04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Thank God for eBay!

GBMelBlount
04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
If you are "handy" and have the spare time I think you may be able to install it yourself. There are several good only price shopping sites. Nextag.com, pricegrabber.com, etc. One of my favorites is pricescan.com. Here is the link for some online price comparisons for the panny model you expressed interest in:

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item532373.asp

Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned it in the thread, but if your viewing distance for a 50" is farther than 7" you probably will see very little difference (if any) between a 720 and a 1080 screen. And again, there are many 720's that OUTPERFORM the 1080's and are much less expensive. Also, if you are on a budget you can put the savings from buying online or going 720 into other things like home theater equipment or an extended warranty.

If you are sold on 1080 that is great and I think panasonic is overall an excellent price/performance brand. There are a few excellent 720 vs 1080 articles on CNET if you are still debating. If you would like me to post a link to the specific article(s), just let me know.

revefsreleets
04-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Note to those who have/buy a DLP. If you buy a bulb off eBay, it will not have instructions on how to install the bulb in the carriage. Learn from my mistake...DO NOT disassemble everything (especially while drinking) unless you have the replacement bulb in hand! I could not for the life of me figure out how to put the whole thing back together again:sofunny:

Best to just keep everything as is until the replacement arrives...it's much easier that way. And it is a lot cheaper to buy the bulb without the carriage...I have a buddy who paid $100 more than I did because he bought the whole shebang. There is no reason to replace the carriage unless it breaks.

MACH1
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
If you are "handy" and have the spare time I think you may be able to install it yourself. There are several good only price shopping sites. Nextag.com, pricegrabber.com, etc. One of my favorites is pricescan.com. Here is the link for some online price comparisons for the panny model you expressed interest in:

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item532373.asp

Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned it in the thread, but if your viewing distance for a 50" is farther than 7" you probably will see very little difference (if any) between a 720 and a 1080 screen. And again, there are many 720's that OUTPERFORM the 1080's and are much less expensive. Also, if you are on a budget you can put the savings from buying online or going 720 into other things like home theater equipment or an extended warranty.

If you are sold on 1080 that is great and I think panasonic is overall an excellent price/performance brand. There are a few excellent 720 vs 1080 articles on CNET if you are still debating. If you would like me to post a link to the specific article(s), just let me know.

Newegg is also a good place to check out. Sometimes they have deals thats hard to turn down.

GBMelBlount
04-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Newegg is also a good place to check out. Sometimes they have deals thats hard to turn down.

I am sure I am misreading because I just looked at the Z85U on Newegg and it was over $500 higher than the pricescan.com link I posted?

MACH1
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
I am sure I am misreading because I just looked at the Z85U on Newegg and it was over $500 higher than the pricescan.com link I posted?

LOL...I said sometimes, not all the time. :grin:

GBMelBlount
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL...I said sometimes, not all the time. :grin:

When I had reread your post I was figuring that is why you said "sometimes". :thumbsup: I will look for the link tonight for a place I found through avsforum that has insane daily deals on electronics products.

Hammer67
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Pricescan finds collective prices from a bunch of stores, much like Pricegrabber. Newegg is one of the stores that usually ends up on their lists. Newegg has been, for me, one of the best stores on the Internet and the shining crown for online electronics purchases. Newegg is usually one of the cheapest options, not always the cheapest. They almost always beat brick and mortar (I just got a 1080p 37" Sharp LCD for about $600 less then it was at Circuit City). I rarely pay a shipping charge and they get items, small and large, to me in less then 3 days. Their customer service is also fantastic.

I will pay an extra 50 or $100 dollars over another online shop if Newegg is in the hunt, pricewise...cause I know I will have piece of mind with the company I am buying from.

If you are an IT geek, like me, Newegg is your best friend.

GBMelBlount
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Pricescan finds collective prices from a bunch of stores, much like Pricegrabber. Newegg is one of the stores that usually ends up on their lists. Newegg has been, for me, one of the best stores on the Internet and the shining crown for online electronics purchases. Newegg is usually one of the cheapest options, not always the cheapest. They almost always beat brick and mortar (I just got a 1080p 37" Sharp LCD for about $600 less then it was at Circuit City). I rarely pay a shipping charge and they get items, small and large, to me in less then 3 days. Their customer service is also fantastic.

I will pay an extra 50 or $100 dollars over another online shop if Newegg is in the hunt, pricewise...cause I know I will have piece of mind with the company I am buying from.

Indeed. I have read some customer reviews of some of the vendors that low ball price and after hearing their nightmares I can say I agree that the reputation / customer service of the on line retailer is very important. I always look at the customer ratings/reviews of all the retailers if prices are comparable. You can overshop price and end up really paying in the end .

Preacher
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Hey Hammer... have you every used Cat 5 as speaker cable? I did in my home here, just ran one cable, breaking out each pair of wire for each speaker (sep. wire going to the right front). It has worked rather well. I was worried about a delay in my bck right speaker since it is at the end of the cable.... but if there is, I can't not tell the difference.

THe one great thing about it... like I said before, is that you are just running one wire, wonderful if you can't really tuck the wires anywhere.

Hammer67
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey Hammer... have you every used Cat 5 as speaker cable? I did in my home here, just ran one cable, breaking out each pair of wire for each speaker (sep. wire going to the right front). It has worked rather well. I was worried about a delay in my bck right speaker since it is at the end of the cable.... but if there is, I can't not tell the difference.

THe one great thing about it... like I said before, is that you are just running one wire, wonderful if you can't really tuck the wires anywhere.

I haven't but it is indeed just copper so you shouldn't have a problem. The only issue I could imagine would be the thickness of the wire itself.

I do know that lamp cords make for some of the best speaker wire.

Speaker wire is another complete rip off for cabling companies.

revefsreleets
04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I do know that lamp cords make for some of the best speaker wire.

Speaker wire is another complete rip off for cabling companies.

Reminds me of a funny story from college. It was like 3 AM on a Tuesday, and me and my roommates were trashed drunk. We lived in a quad apartment building (4 2 bedroom apartments 2 on top of each other on either side), and we were just blasting the stereo. I mean 150 decibels. The entire building was pounding on the door, calling us, yelling and screaming, really pissed off (we were friends with everyone, but they were still really really angry). Finally, one of them snuck in a back window and let everyone in. They took all the speaker wire, thinking they were being clever, and went on their merry way, ostensibly to have a quiet night of sleep.

It was not to be...

We pirated the wires off the iron, and 10 minutes later, we were right back to rockin' the house down. We went all through the night. Needless to say, we were not the most popular fellas the next morning. I noticed no discernable difference in the quality of the sound from the "MacGuyver" wires and the original monster cable.:thumbsup:

Hammer67
04-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Ah...drunken college days...seems like yesterday! But, your right, copper is copper.

Preacher
04-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Reminds me of a funny story from college. It was like 3 AM on a Tuesday, and me and my roommates were trashed drunk. We lived in a quad apartment building (4 2 bedroom apartments 2 on top of each other on either side), and we were just blasting the stereo. I mean 150 decibels. The entire building was pounding on the door, calling us, yelling and screaming, really pissed off (we were friends with everyone, but they were still really really angry). Finally, one of them snuck in a back window and let everyone in. They took all the speaker wire, thinking they were being clever, and went on their merry way, ostensibly to have a quiet night of sleep.

It was not to be...

We pirated the wires off the iron, and 10 minutes later, we were right back to rockin' the house down. We went all through the night. Needless to say, we were not the most popular fellas the next morning. I noticed no discernable difference in the quality of the sound from the "MacGuyver" wires and the original monster cable.:thumbsup:

so THATS what you were doing last saturday night?!

madsteelerfan51
04-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Sony 42" Plasma in HDTV works great:tt02: