PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for guys off the street in the NFL?

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=6ED1482B8DD809EADF731825888BA821? id=09000d5d80772c56&template=with-video&confirm=true

Well we all have seen "Invincible" the movie about VInce Papale a guy off the street who joined the eagles. This was during hard times in the NFL, all i have to say is here we go again 2011 NFL season.

"Shuttle forward. It is the 2011 NFL season. Three champions have been crowned since the Giants' astonishing Super Bowl XLII victory that ruined New England?s crack at ultimate perfection. The fall air is crisp. The nation anticipates another round of frolicking NFL fare. But the stadiums are silent. Or, indeed, games are being played -- by guys off the street."

Crazy thought huh, well it looks like its going to happen.

"Owners voted 30-2 in 2006 to a labor agreement that gives the players 60 percent of total football revenues and gives the owners a salary cap. But after two seasons of analysis, the owners say that 60 percent spending and an ever-escalating cap are way out of whack. The owners can exercise a termination clause by Nov. 8. That would make the 2008 and 2009 seasons status quo, the 2010 season an uncapped year followed by no agreement -- thus, no football -- in 2011."

Well....

""There are a lot of smart guys on both sides of this coin, this debate, that represent the owners and the players," an owner said. "We?ve got some dedicated people on both sides on top of it. Yes, there is legitimate concern in all camps and all corners. Let?s see how it unfolds.""

Galax Steeler
03-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Football would suck without a salry cap.

millwalldavey
03-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Man... could you imagine spending like the British Prem league? A lot of haves and have nots.

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Whats the british prem leauge?

fansince'76
03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
"Or, indeed, games are being played -- by guys off the street."

Crazy thought huh, well it looks like its going to happen.

Replacement players? Already happened once during the '87 lockout. Looks like it's going to happen again, because I don't see either side budging. And if the salary cap does become history, I will find something else to do on Sunday afternoons in the Fall. I'm not interested in watching a NFL where the Steelers become the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Cowboys and Redskins become the Yankees and Red Sox with Jones and Snyder buying the Super Bowl every year.

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 12:55 PM
So would their still be an NFL? Will it go back to normal after 2011? Also so this is happening since players and teams cant agree on money?

Dynasty
03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
hopefully there will be something worked out. im sure the league and the players will realize how bad an uncapped league would be.

MDSteel15
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Whats the british prem leauge?

You are kidding right? English Premier League! Worlds most competitive SOCCER league....

fordfan485
03-31-2008, 12:43 AM
You are kidding right? English Premier League! Worlds most competitive SOCCER league....

I've never heard of it either.

klick81
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm here for FOOTBALL discussion. Not SOCCER.

:scholar:

fansince'76
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I see it more likely that the Steelers would become like the Oakland A's, being good most of the time because they're smart and draft well. And the Cowboys and Redskins would become like the Orioles or the Mets, who spend big but miss the playoffs anyway.

Did you know that 9 of the top 13 spending teams in baseball didn't even make the playoffs last year? And when was the last time the Yankees won the World Series, anyway?

Basically, no salary cap does not equal no competition, and baseball only proves that. Franchises like the Pirates and Royals only fail so much because they're small AND they're incompetently managed.

Very good points about MLB, but I still can't shake the memories of the mid-'90s and the revolving door that was on the clubhouse at the time before Heinz Field was built. An uncapped league would put the Rooneys at an even bigger disadvantage financially than they were in then, IMO. And believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
So an uncapped league mean teams can spend as much as they want right? Why would that be so bad anyway i dont see how it could hurt a team if they could get better players.

Also man about the brittish prem league.... Most american americans dont watch soccer....it just sucks.

tony hipchest
03-31-2008, 05:05 PM
So an uncapped league mean teams can spend as much as they want right? Why would that be so bad anyway i dont see how it could hurt a team if they could get better players.

think of it this way. i could go out and get any car i wanted, but i simply cant afford a rolls royce or lambroghini.

Stlrs4Life
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM

Sure would, and our Steelers wouldn't be able to compete.

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
think of it this way. i could go out and get any car i wanted, but i simply cant afford a rolls royce or lambroghini.

Ohh and since we are a small market team and make less money we would have bad players. ok.

Jeremy
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I'd love to see a uncapped football. After all, isn't America all about having a free market economy? Maybe they can combine that with the decertification of the player's Union and we can have the dream league of all the Conservatives in this country.

Yes sir! Uncapped football and no player's Union is the way to go. Nevermind the fact that there would only be about a dozen teams left in a decade. But hey, that's the way the marketplace works right.

millwalldavey
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM

Also man about the brittish prem league.... Most american americans dont watch soccer....it just sucks.

Soccer is quite interesting IMHO. But i used it as a comparison, not to start a soccer discussion. Sometime look up the INSANE salaries these guys in europe get.

Jeremy
03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Soccer is quite interesting IMHO. But i used it as a comparison, not to start a soccer discussion. Sometime look up the INSANE salaries these guys in europe get.

The salaries are only half the tale. Take a look at what the transfer fees are when they change teams. Now that's insane.

SteelShooter
03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

I've never heard of it either.

I do not follow soccer........so I, as well, have not heard of it.

SteelShooter
03-31-2008, 08:11 PM
IMO, we still need the cap. Sure we lose players to Washington (Randle El) or to other teams due to money (Faneca). But in a twisted way it still keeps the field semi-even between the big spenders and the "can't" spenders.
The Steelers organization will never blow money on a T.O. or Moss. But this way we are not priced out of keeping some of the others.

.........just my two cents.

PisnNapalm
03-31-2008, 08:27 PM
The NFL needs a salary cap. It works. It has saved the NHL from almost certain ruin. I wish baseball had a similar cap and revenue sharing agreement among it's owners.

SteelShooter
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
The NFL needs a salary cap. It works. It has saved the NHL from almost certain ruin. I wish baseball had a similar cap and revenue sharing agreement among it's owners.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :yikes: P-N-P and I share an opinion??? :huh:

Ahhhh.............just joking Bro! :blah:

verks36
03-31-2008, 09:46 PM

SO TRUE

Pretty MUCH

Steelers would equal pirates without the salary cap

Willem Gerber
04-01-2008, 07:38 AM
The salary cap must stay....
Can you imagine how many players the Pats will get?

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
This is getting interesting, I think they will come to an agreement though

Godfather
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
That depends...do we still have the revenue sharing? That would mitigate some of the problem.

Plus, the Steelers (along with the |Packers) have the advantage of being popular nationwide, which would help offset being in a small market. And if Hines is still around in 2011, we could get a foothold in South Korea as their national team. We'd just have to be creative in developing revenue streams outside Pittsburgh.