PDA

View Full Version : nate washington

vasteeler
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
a friend just told me that we released nate and jeramy tuman(sp) i have not read it anyware have any of you?

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Nope - nothing being reported on either player here in the Burgh.

BlastFurnace
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Jeramy Tuman is a Arizona Cardinal.

There is no way that the Steelers release Nate....no way.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
a friend just told me that we released nate and jeramy tuman(sp) i have not read it anyware have any of you?

I think your friend has Washington and Wilson confused....but Tuman is now a Cardinal.

verks36
03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
ya no way we would release Nate at all to young to much potential the steelers dont have enough depth at the postions even more since cedrick got released.

Gave me a scare their for a second

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I think your friend has Washington and Wilson confused....but Tuman is now a Cardinal.

I think you may be right about the Washington/Wilson confusion. Speaking of confusion - I totally forgot that Tuman signed with the Cards. :dang:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I think you may be right about the Washington/Wilson confusion. Speaking of confusion - I totally forgot that Tuman signed with the Cards. :dang:

No excuses....you will be punished.:freddy:

Come hear little girl :cheer::whip:

19ward86
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
We cant release Washington...he is a restricted free agent. We can take away the contract offer but why would we do that, we have the oppertunity to sign a guy worth $4 mil a year to a $1 mil contract.

skinart82
03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
So should the cards just be called the little Steelers, since everybody ends up there

MasterOfPuppets
03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
We cant release Washington...he is a restricted free agent. We can take away the contract offer but why would we do that, we have the oppertunity to sign a guy worth $4 mil a year to a $1 mil contract.:toofunny:

millwalldavey
03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
So should the cards just be called the little Steelers, since everybody ends up there

Funny how that is happening...

Getting rid of Nate now would be suicide.

Jeremy
03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Funny how that is happening...

Getting rid of Nate now would be suicide.

Unless the team drafts a wide receiver in the first round. Holmes, Ward, and Hardy would make a very nice starting trio.

Now take away Hardy, and the depth chart drops off after Ward and Holmes. Washington is a 4 or a 5 on most other teams and the guys behind him are not much better. The one potential surprise of the group could be Matt Trannon, but it remains to be seen how much time he'll get to prove himself before they pull the trigger on cutting him.

tony hipchest
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Washington is a 4 or a 5 on most other teams .any numbers to back that up? His stats over the past 2 years are better than most teams # 3's and he blows any # 4 away.

64 rec. 1074 yds. 9 td. 16.8 ypc. 32 games played - 6 starts

all on a rushing team that rarely goes 4 wide.

not too bad for a 24 year old outta tiffin. i guess some people just expect jerry rice numbers right away.

VTsteel
03-31-2008, 06:53 PM

Also, Brian St.Pierre just signed with the Cards today . . .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80781608&template=with-video&confirm=true

paw-n-maul-u
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think our WR core scares any teams right now. But it surely didn't scare any teams with same roster + Ced. Wilson.

At the same time, I would DEFINITLY take our situation over the Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Titans, jaguars, jets, dolphins, Ravens, raiders, Niners, falcons, chiefs, broncos, bills, panthers, vikings and bucs. ... thats 17 teams right there ... you could also think about teams like Rams, Texans, Cowboys who only have one stud receiver and no really compliment. ... either way, WR is about 4th on the priority list.

THEN AGAIN ... holmes, ward, washington, Miller AND Hardy/Kelly/Sweed/Thomas sounds the best.

Jeremy
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
any numbers to back that up? His stats over the past 2 years are better than most teams # 3's and he blows any # 4 away.

64 rec. 1074 yds. 9 td. 16.8 ypc. 32 games played - 6 starts

all on a rushing team that rarely goes 4 wide.

not too bad for a 24 year old outta tiffin. i guess some people just expect jerry rice numbers right away.

What? Pittsburgh has been very much a passing team over the last 2 seasons that uses three and four wide receiver sets.

In any event, your own numbers tell the tale. 2 receptions per game for and average of 33 yards. Those numbers can easily be made up with the tight ends.

Washington is no great shakes. He's probably a 4 and a real stretch as a 3. If Pittsburgh is going to go to a passing offense, they need better receivers period.

tony hipchest
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
What? Pittsburgh has been very much a passing team over the last 2 seasons that uses three and four wide receiver sets.

In any event, your own numbers tell the tale. 2 receptions per game for and average of 33 yards. Those numbers can easily be made up with the tight ends.

Washington is no great shakes. He's probably a 4 and a real stretch as a 3. If Pittsburgh is going to go to a passing offense, they need better receivers period.no numbers to back up your opinion then?

it is given that every team in the nfl throws the ball. doesnt make them a "passing team" though. sure, the steelers use a 4 wr set every now and then.

the numbers clearly support that when washington is thrown in as # 3 or 4 he is statistically one of the most productive.

and what the fans usually fail to realize is that $590,000 for 2 years of production (64 rec. 1074 yds. 9 td. 16.8 ypc. 32 games played - 6 starts) is one hell of a bargain that most teams arent cashing in on.

again, which #3 or #4 has been better? d. stallworth was pretty good as the #1 / #2 with philly....

you might find a few #3's, but definitely not a #4.

nobody's saying he's all world.

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
lol my stomach went into a knot for a second jeez, yea if we dropped Nate ummmm we would be screwed WR wise. Tell your friend to check his sources.

SteelShooter
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM

:sofunny: :wink02: :eyecrazy: :ouch: LMAO!!! :ouch: :eyecrazy: :wink02: :sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Nate made some nice clutch catches at the end of the season....He made the game tying catch or it was to bring the Steelers within a TD against the regular season game against the Jags...Can't remember for sure it was the game tying but I think it was.....Against the Rams Nate also made some nice catches.....He is still young and really learning the game.....I don't think he will ever be a super start but we could do worse then Nate Washington...Don't understand all the hate for an undrafted FA....He has exceeded my expectations....Plus I think he can still improve.....I also think the Steelers need more depth at WR....You can never have enough weapons for your QB...

As for the Steelers being a passing team...Ben still only had 404 pass attempts.....Ben had 469 in 2006.....I'm not counting Batch's pass attempts.....don't really care how many times Batch threw the ball since he hasn't played much the past two years...lol

But still 404 isn't that high....Its much higher then Ben's first two years....but this team is still far froming throwing the ball all over the field like the Pats and Colts.....lol or Saints.....lol Packers also...lol So I'm fine with Nate's stats considering he is really the 4th option in the passing game....Heath had a bigger role last year and I'm fine with that also....I think Heath needs more balls thrown his way.....Hines and Santonio will get theirs and they should.....

SteelersMongol
03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
... Gave me a scare their for a second

Yep. I was like "What the .."

Originally Posted by HometownGal
I think you may be right about the Washington/Wilson confusion. Speaking of confusion - I totally forgot that Tuman signed with the Cards.

:jawdrop: :toofunny:

paw-n-maul-u
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Ben had the 16th most pass attempts ... thats just barely in the bottom half, hardly a "passing" team.

However, this team could be heading in that direction, who knows. but we go as Ben goes. ... so I say give him a Big WR on Day 1 of this draft.

Davison_K
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
ya no way we would release Nate at all to young to much potential

Too much potential if he can learn to not drop key passes. I would have released him if we were paying wilson and washington the same. At least wilson caught passes. He was underutilized by the coaching staff though.

steelmann58
03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
I believe Nate will really shine this year and show better hands and really shine in that #3 role

tony hipchest
03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
still no numbers, jeremy?

nate was 70th in the league for reception yards.

26th in ypc

29th (tie) in td's

82nd in receptions

79th in yards per game.

i really hate to give you a simple math lesson, but if nate is worse than the 3rd wr on EVERY team, then logic (+simple math) says he wouldnt rank ABOVE 96th in every single wr statistical category.

( 32 teams X 3 wr = 96 wr's who you contend are better than nate.)

and you say hes nothing more than a 4th or 5th on other teams. i gotta laugh...

:toofunny:

Crushzilla
04-01-2008, 12:58 AM
... Cut him...

:stirthepot:

:smile:

Galax Steeler
04-01-2008, 03:37 AM
We really need to keep nate around he is not that bad for a 3 reciever.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 08:32 AM
still no numbers, jeremy?

nate was 70th in the league for reception yards.

26th in ypc

29th (tie) in td's

82nd in receptions

79th in yards per game.

i really hate to give you a simple math lesson, but if nate is worse than the 3rd wr on EVERY team, then logic (+simple math) says he wouldnt rank ABOVE 96th in every single wr statistical category.

( 32 teams X 3 wr = 96 wr's who you contend are better than nate.)

and you say hes nothing more than a 4th or 5th on other teams. i gotta laugh...

:toofunny:

2 catches per game for 33 yards Tony. The teams gets more production from the tight ends and they don't drop every other pass that's thrown their way.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
2 catches per game for 33 yards Tony. The teams gets more production from the tight ends and they don't drop every other pass that's thrown their way.

I would say that its not unusual for a #3 reciever to get fewer passes than a starting TE. Happens on several teams a year.

vinny
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
yea! whats up with Ken taking all the players that the Steelers either cut or let go?......i still cant get over the fact we lost to those damn! Red Birds(cardinals).......

lilyoder6
04-01-2008, 10:39 AM
well i just found out last nite that the 1st day of the draft is only the 1sta nd 2nd rds.. :o

but thaty was some good stats tony.. i doubt it matters about the catches and yrds he gets a game.. it's bout the ypc and the td's..

vasteeler
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
thanks for the responses im going to asume he ment wilson and not washington
as far as tuman i must have been sleeping i dont remember hearing he went to the cards

Dino 6 Rings
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
thanks for the responses im going to asume he ment wilson and not washington
as far as tuman i must have been sleeping i dont remember hearing he went to the cards

Basically it goes like this...if the Steelers cut someone, or release them or don't re-sign them...look for them in Arizona first and foremost.

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
i see cedrick being signed by the cards.. just because they pickup our feces...

millwalldavey
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Also, Brian St.Pierre just signed with the Cards today . . .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80781608&template=with-video&confirm=true

I remember during the dark days when I was hoping he was the QB of the future.

millwalldavey
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
oh yeah... who has that sig with Hines, Santonio, Antwan and Plax?

There's a thought that keeps me awake at night.

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
oh yeah... who has that sig with Hines, Santonio, Antwan and Plax?

There's a thought that keeps me awake at night.

Lol wow, just think of the possibilities!

Dylan
04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
didnt we just tender his contract?

Galax Steeler
04-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Lol wow, just think of the possibilities!

It would be a salry cap casultie but would have been great to see.:thumbsup:

lilyoder6
04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
well w/ ari losing bryant johnson as there number 3 they could pick up ced 4 there numba 3.. it's like a 3 ring circus...

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM

You also have to take into account what #3s do for your team. Guys like Gaffney and Henry and Bryant and Gonzalez (to a lesser extent) really opened the field because they were legitimate deep down field threats that could also get some nice YAC, and they didn't drop passes. :banging:

I don't think Jeremy (or myself) is saying Washington is garbage, but we're far from having an elite receiving trio. Going for a tall, athletic #3 guy is one of the few changes I'd make at a skill position on our offense.

Washington isn't #4 guy, but he is just an average #3 (currently, he has potential). Personally, I'm fine with that because we also have a reliable defense and a potentially shocking run game. But come on, don't kid yourself that Washington is anything super special. He could be swapped out with several other average receivers and they'd produce similar numbers.

Steelerfreak58
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Nate is hard to pin down. He comes up with some great catches one minute and then drops key passes that kill drives on others. Hopefully he steps up this year and takes his spot on the roster and earns it by not dropping passes.

rick723
04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark my words here, or as they say down here on the Carolina Coast Heah'. Nate will have a monster year. He will have over 1000 yards and Holmes will have around 1500. Ward will have about 800 and complain about it.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM
There is something i like about Nate and cant pin down.

tony hipchest
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy

i get that he averages 33 ypg. but can you really expect 4 catches and 66 ypg from a #3? in our offense, any wr who catches 64 passes in a year is clearly the #2.

You also have to take into account what #3s do for your team. Guys like Gaffney and Henry and Bryant and Gonzalez (to a lesser extent) really opened the field because they were legitimate deep down field threats that could also get some nice YAC, and they didn't drop passes. :banging:

Washington isn't #4 guy, but he is just an average #3 (currently, he has potential). .

gaffney- 36/449/5
henry- 21/343/2
johnson- 46/528/2
gonzalez- 37/576/3
stokely- 40/635/5

washington- 29/450/5

so as opposed to being "average", i would say nate is about as good as any other #3 wr in the league. it all boils down to opportunity. nate was on the exact same career path as denvers rod smith. the only difference is rod smith was thrust into the starting lineup in his third year (opposite ed mccafrey). washington is still stuck behind ward and holmes.

and with a team constantly with its back against the cap wall such as the steelers, that type of production is EXCELLENT for $300,000 as opposed to the jack all the other #3's mentioned are making. with his 1 year salary increase, i would think those numbers will increase in 08.

The Duke
04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Mark my words here, or as they say down here on the Carolina Coast Heah'. Nate will have a monster year. He will have over 1000 yards and Holmes will have around 1500. Ward will have about 800 and complain about it.

lol, really? I mean, nate will be good, but 1000 yards? 2 steelers receivers with 1000 yards the same year? I like the optimism but I don't see it happening

nate has the potential to do it, no doubt, but his career has been based a lot on "potential". 2008 is the time for him to take away people's doubt in him, that he is the #3 receiver in pittsburgh.

last year he seemed to have troubles early on with a more spread offense, but towards the end of the year ( especially jax and rams games) he seemed to get the hang of it. I look for him to continue with his late season play in 2008

fansince'76
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
2 steelers receivers with 1000 yards the same year? I like the optimism but I don't see it happening.

It happened in '02, and we have a QB now that is at least 10X better than the one we had then.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Id rather see two RBs with 1000 yards, but thats a thing of the past.

Id' be happy with 3 WRs with 800 each and the TE with like 500. Thats a good balance methinks... Right around 3000

MasterOfPuppets
04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Id rather see two RBs with 1000 yards, but thats a thing of the past.

Id' be happy with 3 WRs with 800 each and the TE with like 500. Thats a good balance methinks... Right around 3000you better add in another 600 for the backs .......15 qbs had over 3000 yds last year.....its not really an impressive number.

Kindjunior
04-06-2008, 06:54 PM
This is Nates year to blossom. I say he goes for 750+ yards this year

jason97673
04-06-2008, 09:03 PM
i get that he averages 33 ypg. but can you really expect 4 catches and 66 ypg from a #3? in our offense, any wr who catches 64 passes in a year is clearly the #2.

gaffney- 36/449/5
henry- 21/343/2
johnson- 46/528/2
gonzalez- 37/576/3
stokely- 40/635/5

washington- 29/450/5

so as opposed to being "average", i would say nate is about as good as any other #3 wr in the league. it all boils down to opportunity. nate was on the exact same career path as denvers rod smith. the only difference is rod smith was thrust into the starting lineup in his third year (opposite ed mccafrey). washington is still stuck behind ward and holmes.

and with a team constantly with its back against the cap wall such as the steelers, that type of production is EXCELLENT for $300,000 as opposed to the jack all the other #3's mentioned are making. with his 1 year salary increase, i would think those numbers will increase in 08.

Lets not forget that we are a run first team who threw the ball only 442 times.

Henry (Cincy) - 575
NE (Gaffney) - 586
Indy (Gonzo) - 551
Ari (Johnson) - 590
Den (Stokely) - 515

All these teams threw the ball more than 100 times more than us except for Denver. In 2006, when we threw the ball 523 times, Nate had better numbers then all these guys mentioned except for Stokely, who only has 11 yards more.

If we threw the ball as much as these other teams, nate would of had 600+ yards once again, and for a 3rd WR in his second year as an every week player, thats pretty good.

As was also mentioned, Nate does not make much more than league minimum these past two years. Id be hard pressed to find another guy who had 600+ yards and making only 400 k.

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2008, 10:47 PM
For the money N. Washington makes, it's pocket change. and for that production, we are getting an absolute steal.

I like Washington a lot, and although he may never crack the starting lineup, I sure hope he's around a few more years because he is a more than solid #3

tony hipchest
04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
i can easilly admit nate has cost us a game, has alot to improve on, and isnt worth tons of cash...

but the thought that he should be "calvin johnson" is what i find ludicrous.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 05:39 AM
I have to agree for the money we are giving him he is a real value for the team.

Kaeg
04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I have always liked Nate. I've seen some incredible catches as well as what looked like easy drops like some of you have mentioned. Here's to him realizing his potential this year! :cheers:

BettisFan
04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
lets hope he steps it up even more this year, he can really start becoming a target on every down.

Galax Steeler
04-08-2008, 03:29 AM
lets hope he steps it up even more this year, he can really start becoming a target on every down.

I would have to say that this is going to be the make or break year for wilson.

Willem Gerber
04-08-2008, 04:12 AM
I would have to say that this is going to be the make or break year for wilson.

You mean Nate...The guy has tons of talent...The only thing he REALLY needs to wotk on is his catching...I would guess that he will record 600+ yds this season

Galax Steeler
04-08-2008, 04:21 AM
You mean Nate...The guy has tons of talent...The only thing he REALLY needs to wotk on is his catching...I would guess that he will record 600+ yds this season

I'm just saying if he don't improve this year then yes his days could be numberd in pittsburgh.