PDA

View Full Version : Why we won't draft a guard and Starks' status

Give It To Abercrombie
03-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't think we will be drafting a guard this year. I also believe I know why Starks is dangling at the moment. Two scenarios below describe why we aren't currently negotiating with Starks.

1. Chris Williams (the only pure LT besides Long, all the others can play LT but may be better suited for RT) falls all the way to 23. We draft him. Starks is no longer highly needed and we can offer less. Smith and Starks are the starting tackles with Williams getting one year to groom before taking over in his second year when Smith leaves. This also can move Colon back to guard where he belongs and we have Colon, Kemo, Simmons, Mahan at guard with Hartwig at center. This is the less likely of the two.

2. In round 1 we go defense, be it d-line or corner then in round 3 we start looking at RT. Whether it's in round 3, 4, whatever, we look for guys like Richardson or Barton that have value and can play RT but just aren't quick enough for LT. Starks gets signed (at the age of 26 mind you, he's plenty young) for LT, Smith moves to RT (where he started his career and may be better suited now). We still have the heavy load of guards listed above, Colon, Kemo, Simmons and Mahan with Hartwig at center. Colon can fill in at tackle along with Essex in case of injury and the 3rd/4th round tackle can learn for a year and take over in year two at RT.

For a long time I thought we would go OT in the 1st round for sure, but the more thought I give it, I think our 1st day will have 2 defenders for sure, probably the first two picks. Just a hunch.

steelmann58
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
they will draft a guard somewhere within the first 3 rounds

Texasteel
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Williams is the one I wanted since 1/2 way through the collage season. I hope your right, but I have to say, I don't think so.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
I think, you are right that at guard there is enough talent with Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Hartwig, all being able to play there.

Williams is a true LT in the fact that he is athletic, long arms, good technique, etc. But have you really heard of his run blocking ability??? He is an intelligent player that is not gonna get you much in the way of overpowering DE's in the run game.

That's why the solid LT prospects that have the ability to pass protect well and aggressive enough to run block are Long, Clady, Albert and maybe Otah. I like Williams, but just dont think he is a Steeler.

He will be gone by 23 anyways. Broncos maybe.

one side only
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but I think they may go WR, especially if Sweed is there.

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I think, you are right that at guard there is enough talent with Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Hartwig, all being able to play there.

Williams is a true LT in the fact that he is athletic, long arms, good technique, etc. But have you really heard of his run blocking ability??? He is an intelligent player that is not gonna get you much in the way of overpowering DE's in the run game.

That's why the solid LT prospects that have the ability to pass protect well and aggressive enough to run block are Long, Clady, Albert and maybe Otah. I like Williams, but just dont think he is a Steeler.

He will be gone by 23 anyways. Broncos maybe.

remember quality not quantity...

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but I think they may go WR, especially if Sweed is there.

we wont go reciever until the second day... (or at least we shouldn't... unless doucet is available in the second)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
remember quality not quantity...

Yeah, but I just dont think Williams is a good fit as a physical run blocker. Maybe during the interviews they might find that he can be coached up to that.

I liken him to my friend that is an engineer. He can spend all day thinking about the theoretical best way to technically build something.......but by then the rest of us all have it built.

Great technique is good, but I'd rather have poor technique and great results. Just git er done!! I think I'm confusing the issue.

The short of it is when I coach highschool football players I tell them to make mistakes at 100 mph instead of walking around at half speed trying to do things perfectly. Rather have an aggressive guy than a technician that isnt agressive.

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM

He will be gone by 23 anyways. Broncos maybe.have you seen somewhere, that it said he is not a good run blocker?

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Albert is ranked so high he is going to go before we pick

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
we wont go reciever until the second day... (or at least we shouldn't... unless doucet is available in the second)

It's an odd draft for receivers. It's not a very talented group, but at the same time they're all about equal. It just depends on what you're looking for.

As it stands now, Pittsburgh is probably looking for a tall receiver for inside the Red Zone. They have Holmes, who is a protypical speed receiver and Ward who can play the slot in the three reciever formation. That means they're looking to Nate Washington, Dallas Baker, or Matt Trannon to fill that role of third reciever. Now I love the upside of Baker and Trannon, but I'm realistic about their ability as well.

While I think the team would be fine without drafting a wide receiver, I also think that it's going to be hard to pass on a reciever in the first round if good value exists there.

19ward86
04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
this guy is nutz

Give It To Abercrombie
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
this guy is nutz

Insightful. :thumbsup: