PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin stands behind release of Wilson

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Tomlin stands behind release of Wilson
STEELERS NOTEBOOK
Monday, March 31, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The quick release of wide receiver Cedrick Wilson last week after his arrest for assaulting his former girlfriend received a thumbs up from coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin said yesterday he agreed with the release and recognizes something must be done after three of his players were arrested since last fall for some sort of domestic disturbance.

The others are Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, charged with slapping his girlfriend, and halfback Najeh Davenport, for an episode with the mother of his child in Cleveland.

"I think one incident is a problem," said Tomlin, married and the father of three young children. "We've had more than one incident so we take that very seriously.

"It's unacceptable behavior, not only for a Steeler, but for a professional athlete in general. We don't take this privilege that we are involved in for granted. There are responsibilities that come with it."

Tomlin said the Steelers are "taking the proper steps, like we always had -- not necessarily reactionary, but just to continue to educate our guys in terms of what goes into being who they are."

While not providing specifics, Tomlin said he and Ray Jackson, his player development coordinator, started a program for Steelers rookies last year.

"We have a detailed, organized rookie program that was put in place by myself and Ray Jackson," Tomlin said. "It covers all facets that deal with professional life, whether it's personal issues, financial or football. And we'll do it again this year."

Tomlin described it as an ongoing program and not a mere weekend or weeklong symposium such as the NFL holds for all rookies.

"It's a little more hands on and interactive than a symposium," Tomlin said.

"We recognize today's climate and the issues that are going on with these young men. Since I've been here, we've been pro-active and we'll continue to do that."

Hartwig should help

Center Justin Hartwig, signed last week after he was cut by Carolina, brings an experienced younger starter that should bolster the team's offensive line, Tomlin said.

"He's been a starter in this league since '03, a very capable guy," said Tomlin. "He brings competition, he brings veteran leadership."

Tomlin said Hartwig will compete with Sean Mahan, who started every game last season after he signed as a free agent. The non-starter is likely to be the top backup at center and guard in 2008.

As for offensive tackle Max Starks, it remains a waiting game between him and the Steelers, who made him their transition player a month ago. Starks admittedly has no offers or interest from other teams.

One NFL coach said that teams don't want to do a reasonable deal with Starks because they know the Steelers can and will match it and keep him.

"We have an opportunity to match any deal that's offered to him," Tomlin said. "In the meanwhile, we keep a viable starter-capable guy in our mix, and that's what we need to do to get better."

Tomlin said Starks will get a chance to compete for his old job as the starting right tackle. As for the offensive line, which lost guard Alan Faneca, as a whole?

"I'm concerned about it," Tomlin said. "I'm concerned with a lot of things. That comes with my job.

"Overly concerned? No, because I trust the men are preparing themselves to be better. I like the moves that we made thus far in the offseason in terms of fortifying that area of our team.

"We have to go out and do it. That's what it's about. We've had similar questions in the past that we either answered or didn't answer. This situation will unfold the same way; hopefully we answer them."

Smith at crossroads

Tomlin acknowledged that safety Anthony Smith's play deteriorated after he unsuccessfully guaranteed a victory against New England last season.

But, he said, it's a new season for everyone, including Smith, who was benched late in the year for his poor play.

"He's at a crossroads in that he's a guy who's played some now; he's had some success, he's had some failures," Tomlin said. "It's about how he moves forward that's going to determine what kind of professional he is.

"He understands that to be quite honest with you, he's game for the challenge. He's been a bright-eyed guy in this offseason.

"I know he can't wait to get out there and show people what he's capable of and help us win at the same time.

"The reality is that the quality of his play went down [after the loss to the Patriots]. But you live and learn through the things that happen to you, through the things you say and you do.

"It's been a learning experience for him and we move forward."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08091/869306-66.stm

Aussie_steeler
04-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Tomlin said Hartwig will compete with Sean Mahan, who started every game last season after he signed as a free agent. The non-starter is likely to be the top backup at center and guard in 2008.

This doesnt read well for Darnell Stapleton. I guess we were all wide of the mark thinking that he may seriously compete for the starting spot at center.

Tomlin said Starks will get a chance to compete for his old job as the starting right tackle

I am confused. I can really only see Max as a Left Tackle based on his 2007 play. It appears that I am totally off in my thinking and that he is really only considered a RT by the coaching staff

Thanks for the read LLT:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
This doesnt read well for Darnell Stapleton. I guess we were all wide of the mark thinking that he may seriously compete for the starting spot at center.

I am confused. I can really only see Max as a Left Tackle based on his 2007 play. It appears that I am totally off in my thinking and that he is really only considered a RT by the coaching staff

Thanks for the read LLT:thumbsup:

I agree that he should be tried at LT...I have no problem with Smith going to RT, and Colon being our new LG.

19ward86
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
wilson definitaly needed to be released anyway, this "rooneys stuck their foot in their mouth" needs to stop.

Dino 6 Rings
04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I think if Ben never opened his mouth about a "tall receiver" Wilson would have been cut right after the SB. But they probably didn't want it to look like Ben was dictating to them how to run the team.

Wilson was gone, I believe that was the plan all along. The "incident" in the bar just opened the door for them to push him out.

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
lol what else could Tomlin say haha what was he going to say, No i disagree and get Rooney mad...nope

Edman
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Wilson was in the final year of his contract. His public incident only let the Steelers pull the plug early.

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 04:01 PM
tomlin shouldn't have to stand by this release...

cedrick just didnt cut it and was obviously a problem for the steelers more than once...

gooodbye.

SteelersMongol
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Tomlin stands behind release of Wilson
STEELERS NOTEBOOK
Monday, March 31, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The quick release of wide receiver Cedrick Wilson last week after his arrest for assaulting his former girlfriend received a thumbs up from coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin said yesterday he agreed with the release and recognizes something must be done after three of his players were arrested since last fall for some sort of domestic disturbance.

The others are Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, charged with slapping his girlfriend, and halfback Najeh Davenport, for an episode with the mother of his child in Cleveland...

Our players, do they have problems with women? They can play football, but they can't handle their women? :dang:

Galax Steeler
04-02-2008, 04:50 AM
I think tomlin had no choice but to stand behind them.

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Good read, especially about Smith. I was wondering how Tomlin and LeBeau felt about him.