PDA

View Full Version : Owen Schmitt...

Gasteeler
04-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Would look good in Black and Gold.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Would look good in Black and Gold.

I think he may be the best PURE FB in this draft and would be a huge upgrade over Davis.... personally I am still big on Jerome Felton, who can block as a FB but has the versatility to be our short yardage RB.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
And he'll be there after the draft as an UDFA.

The fullback is basically a dead position in today's NFL. Wasting a pick on a fullback would be foolish IMHO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
And he'll be there after the draft as an UDFA.

The fullback is basically a dead position in today's NFL. Wasting a pick on a fullback would be foolish IMHO.

Actually there are still a handful of teams that still use a traditional FB...and I dont believe anyone said anything about a specific round in this discussion....but since you brought it up...Schmitt will be drafted.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Actually there are still a handful of teams that still use a traditional FB...and I dont believe anyone said anything about a specific round in this discussion....but since you brought it up...Schmitt will be drafted.

I just don't see it happening LLT. He's a good blocker, but he doesn't have good speed and he has average hands. Just not someone I see him being picked.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I just don't see it happening LLT. He's a good blocker, but he doesn't have good speed and he has average hands. Just not someone I see him being picked.

Kansas City still employs a traditional FB..and last year they were so thread-bare at the position that they were using a backup LBer to block (Grigsby)....I look for them to take the best blocking FB in the draft...and that is Schmitt.

The Bills are another team that may take him..probably by round 5.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Kansas City still employs a traditional FB..and last year they were so thread-bare at the position that they were using a backup LBer to block (Grigsby)....I look for them to take the best blocking FB in the draft...and that is Schmitt.

Yikes. Both those teams have deep needs with this draft. Maybe they take a flyer on him on the back end, but we'll see.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Yikes. Both those teams have deep needs with this draft. Maybe they take a flyer on him on the back end, but we'll see.

Probably a safe bet...Six Fullbacks were drafted last year..and all but 2 of them were in the 6th round or later. Brian Leonard was a 2nd rounder and Le'Ron McClain was a 4th rounder.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Probably a safe bet...Six Fullbacks were drafted last year..and all but 2 of them were in the 6th round or later. Brian Leonard was a 2nd rounder and Le'Ron McClain was a 4th rounder.

Leonard wasn't a pure FB, he was considered a FB/TB hybrid.

We'll see.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Leonard wasn't a pure FB, he was considered a FB/TB hybrid.

We'll see.

In reference to Leonard...agreed...but thats not really the point. Six Fullbacks were still drafted last year...and If Schmitt is the #1 or #2 Fullback this year...its unrealistic to say that he wont be drafted.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
In reference to Leonard...agreed...but thats not really the point. Six Fullbacks were still drafted last year...and If Schmitt is the #1 or #2 Fullback this year...its unrealistic to say that he wont be drafted.

Like I said, we'll see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry guys, I am not a fan or a hater. I just see that Arians doesnt value a fullback much in his offense and dont see us drafting Schmidt, but you never know.

I just find it amusing every year to see the WVU homers come with their "guy" in this years draft. Its usually a better campaign than the PSU or Pitt players.

Pacman Jones, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmidt, etc.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry guys, I am not a fan or a hater. I just see that Arians doesnt value a fullback much in his offense and dont see us drafting Schmidt, but you never know.

I just find it amusing every year to see the WVU homers come with their "guy" in this years draft. Its usually a better campaign than the PSU or Pitt players.

Pacman Jones, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmidt, etc.

He's just this year's John Kuhn, that's all.

one side only
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I'd rather have Kuhn than Schmitt.

Schmitt thrived in the spread offense, and benefitted greatly from the talent around him.

The Duke
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
I'd rather have Kuhn than Schmitt.

Schmitt thrived in the spread offense, and benefitted greatly from the talent around him.

that's cause Kuhn's a future hall of famer :chuckle:

I like Schmitt, but the team seems to be set with carey davis. it pains me to see the blocking fullback days go, but that's what the team wants, and if they keep winning like they always do then I'm happy

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
owen schmidt not worth a first day pick...

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
owen schmidt not worth a first day pick...

Well...yeah. Even LLT thinks he's no better than a 5th rounder and that's pretty far removed from the first two rounds.

Texasteel
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I have not seen Furman play or any clips on them this year, so the only thing I know about Felton is size and speed, but it seems the small schools have a habit of putting out good FBs.
Of the FBs I've seen I like Peyton Hillis, a pretty strong runner, and a heck of a blocking back.

millwalldavey
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Steelers are moving away from the FB anyway, no?

OneForTheToe
04-01-2008, 06:48 PM
He's just this year's John Kuhn, that's all.

Maybe he could be Kuhn's vice presidential candidate then? I like Owen. I know we are moving away from the FB, but Tomlin always stresses that football is situational. Obviously we will keep a FB on the roster for certain situations. If he is available in the 5th or 6th round, I could see us taking a flier. After all, since most 5th or 6th rounders don’t make the team anyways this could be a pick that could fill a roster spot.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Steelers are moving away from the FB anyway, no?

In a way. Arians believes in the three wide and two tight end sets. I like the philosophy myself as I believe spacing is the key to running the football with a speed back. But you will see one tight end kept on the roster for when the Steelers need to adopt more of smash mouth look on offense.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Maybe he could be Kuhn's vice presidential candidate then? I like Owen. I know we are moving away from the FB, but Tomlin always stresses that football is situational. Obviously we will keep a FB on the roster for certain situations. If he is available in the 5th or 6th round, I could see us taking a flier. After all, since most 5th or 6th rounders don?t make the team anyways this could be a pick that could fill a roster spot.

I have seen Owen on some Steelers draft boards, but I would rather take Felton. he is much more versatile....being able to block when needed...but able to run and catch out of the backfield.
As far as I am concerned we could drop the rest and just keep Parker,Moore, Russell, and then draft Felton late.

Aussie_steeler
04-02-2008, 03:47 AM
In a way. Arians believes in the three wide and two tight end sets. I like the philosophy myself as I believe spacing is the key to running the football with a speed back. But you will see one tight end kept on the roster for when the Steelers need to adopt more of smash mouth look on offense.

This would be a feasible explanation for Mike Peterson coming in for a visit. He most certainly will be a UDFA and can handle both roles. Could fill the roles of Tuman and Davis???

Name: Mike Peterson
College: Northwest Missouri State Number: 89
Height: 6-2 Weight: 247
Position: FB Pos2: TE/H-back

one side only
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
The Steelers will draft a tight end this year and not draft a fullback.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
The Steelers will draft a tight end this year and not draft a fullback.

NO way we draft a TE unless he is a hybrid like Aussie was talking about.

Besides Miller and Spaeth....We still have Cody Boyd and Jon Dekker. I remember Tomlin being very high on Boyd last year.

one side only
04-02-2008, 09:53 AM
NO way we draft a TE unless he is a hybrid like Aussie was talking about.

Besides Miller and Spaeth....We still have Cody Boyd and Jon Dekker. I remember Tomlin being very high on Boyd last year.

You remember what? Cody Boyd didn't even start every game his senior year of college. He's training camp fodder, nothing more. BA makes all his tight ends hybrids. Earl gets split out wide sometimes; Spaeth started at Fullback against the Bills and played that position several times during the season. No way Arians goes into the season with three tight end spots on the roster to fill and only Boyd and Dekker fighting for the third roster spot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
You remember what? Cody Boyd didn't even start every game his senior year of college. He's training camp fodder, nothing more. BA makes all his tight ends hybrids. Earl gets split out wide sometimes; Spaeth started at Fullback against the Bills and played that position several times during the season. No way Arians goes into the season with three tight end spots on the roster to fill and only Boyd and Dekker fighting for the third roster spot.

We have 6 draft picks...

We need:
1) Offensive lineman (maybe two)
2) Cornerback (Deshea is 32 and McFadden is in last year of contract)
3) Safety depth (Smith lost his confidence and Clarks return is not definite)
4) Defensive Line help (May grap a DE and a DT)
5) WR depth (Wilson's departure leaves us with nothing behind Washington and we need to start looking for a future replacement for Hines)
6) Runningback (we will draft a RB..possible a True Power back)
7) Depth at Linebacker (preferably someone who can play ST's)

I dont see TE being any type of priority...but who am I...Lets look at what Colbert said at the 2008 combine:

"Right now, other than quarterback and tight end, two positions we're deep and very young, we could really add a player at any position and improve our team," Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08053/859551-66.stm

..and that should be the end of that arguement.

one side only
04-03-2008, 09:01 AM
The context of that entire article was the 23rd selection, not each of the 6 picks the Steelers have.

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
well when do we really use 3 te's in a set??? maybe if we go goaline.. but then we could put ina back up t as the 3rd te.. speath and miller are good enough and they will be no te drafted this yr..

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
The context of that entire article was the 23rd selection, not each of the 6 picks the Steelers have.

we're deep and very young,
why would you add more depth, if you feel you already have it ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I have seen Owen on some Steelers draft boards, but I would rather take Felton. he is much more versatile....being able to block when needed...but able to run and catch out of the backfield.
As far as I am concerned we could drop the rest and just keep Parker,Moore, Russell, and then draft Felton late.

I'm good with that. Then Davenport and Davis can be released.

Elvis
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I really believe if the Steelers have their dreams come true then OG Branden Albert will still be there at 23. If he is not there and a DT like Kentwan Balmer is not there also, then maybe a WR Like Limas Sweed from Texas or the DB Justin King from Penn State. I just really dont think that the steelers will have a chance to get OG Albert. This is my list of wants.. maybe not in any selected order:
OT/OG
DL
DB
WR
either OG or OT
LB

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2008, 04:32 AM
why would you add more depth, if you feel you already have it ?

Thank you....the "deep" part of his statement seems to be confusing some people.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2008, 04:43 AM

The statement was.....Right now, other than quarterback and tight end, two positions we're deep and very young,.....

"Deep" would usually suggest "Depth".

one side only
04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
The statement was

"Deep" would usually suggest "Depth".

I read the article.

This thread evolved from extolling the virtues of Owen Schmitt to a discussion of the fullback position in general. Under Arians, the tight end position is much more important than fullback, often times interchangeable.

Maybe I should have said, "The Steelers will draft a tight end before they draft a fullback." I base that on how the Steelers approach has changed regarding the two positions, as evidenced by Kreider not dressing for some games and a tight end starting in the fullback position. Nobody knows how the draft will play out, and I certain didn't mean to imply the Steelers will draft a tight end no matter what. However, given the relative of importance of tight end vs. fullback, if John Carlson of Notre Dame is stting there in the 4th round, I wouldn't be surprised to see him selected. I would be shocked if they took Schmitt in the 4th if Carlson was there.

Anyone who thinks the Steelers is going to draft a fullback this year, despite Colbert's quote, either doesn't watch the Steelers enough, or thinks last year was a temporary move away from the Steelers offense we'd gotten used to. So advocating for an Owen Schmitt-type player defies logic under the Arians paradigm.

Besides, since when do general managers reveal their draft strategy to the media? I believe it was common knowledge the Steelers wouldn't draft a QB or tight end in the first round, even before Colbert commented on it.

Jeremy
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I really believe if the Steelers have their dreams come true then OG Branden Albert will still be there at 23. If he is not there and a DT like Kentwan Balmer is not there also, then maybe a WR Like Limas Sweed from Texas or the DB Justin King from Penn State. I just really dont think that the steelers will have a chance to get OG Albert. This is my list of wants.. maybe not in any selected order:
OT/OG
DL
DB
WR
either OG or OT
LB

I have yet to see a mock with King going in the first round.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth

I just don't see it happening LLT. He's a good blocker, but he doesn't have good speed and he has average hands. Just not someone I see being picked.

Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth

Too bad Jeremy isnt here to eat his crow....

Hester, Jacob.....drafted Round 3
Schmitt, Owen....drafted Round 5
Felton, Jerome...drafted Round 5
Hillis, Peyton.......drafted Round 7
:sofunny::sofunny:

KeiselPower99
05-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Wasnt Hester taken to back up LT

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Wasnt Hester taken to back up LT

he was drafted by the Chargers...but since the Chargers drafted Marcus Thomas in the 5th...I'm not sure if he is going to be a short yardage back or a Fullback.

ShutDown24
05-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Too bad Jeremy isnt here to eat his crow....

Hester, Jacob.....drafted Round 3
Schmitt, Owen....drafted Round 5
Felton, Jerome...drafted Round 5
Hillis, Peyton.......drafted Round 7
:sofunny::sofunny:

When he was drafted I actually remembered that debate you too had.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
When he was drafted I actually remembered that debate you too had.

He actually thought NO fullbacks would be drafted this year....:doh:

Aussie_steeler
05-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Too bad Jeremy isnt here to eat his crow....:

WHen did this happen?? I would rather have an animated steeler fan around than a Boston troll.

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
i haven't seen him posting in a while.. what happened? :popcorn:

Galax Steeler
05-25-2008, 06:49 AM
i haven't seen him posting in a while.. what happened? :popcorn:

I don't know what happend he has been gone for a while.

Elvis
05-25-2008, 07:27 AM
:wave: Jeremy

I think that the steelers should just let Kreider back on the field, when healthy he is one of the top 3 FB's in the NFL
:helmet:

lilyoder6
05-25-2008, 09:41 AM
we have carey davis !!!! wohoooo..... and i think he did pretty well last yr 4 the 1st time.. w/ time he will become better and he is young