PDA

View Full Version : Colon & Smith hit bonus jackpot

Atlanta Dan
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I assume this is not a P-G idea of an April Fool's Day joke

Steelers' Willie Colon hits bonus jackpot

Willie Colon not only beat out Max Starks for the starting right tackle job for the Steelers last season, he beat out everyone in the NFL to earn top bonus money in the NFL's performance-based pay system.

The league announced today that Colon earned an additional $309,534, the highest bonus awarded under the system, which distributed about $100 million to lower-salaried players who gain the extra pay through playing time during the past season.

Safety Anthony Smith also picked up a nice bonus for his play in his second season. He earned an extra $227,721, which ranked 24th among those issued the extra pay for last season.:dang:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08092/869627-66.stm

I guess Smith and Colon both met the incentive clauses in their contracts for best impersonation of a human turnstile by a player at their respective positions

stillers4me
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd give Anthony Smith another quarter of a million if he's knocks Chad's toofs out again.

Rhee Rhee
04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I assume this is not a P-G idea of an April Fool's Day joke

Steelers' Willie Colon hits bonus jackpot

Willie Colon not only beat out Max Starks for the starting right tackle job for the Steelers last season, he beat out everyone in the NFL to earn top bonus money in the NFL's performance-based pay system.

The league announced today that Colon earned an additional $309,534, the highest bonus awarded under the system, which distributed about $100 million to lower-salaried players who gain the extra pay through playing time during the past season.

Safety Anthony Smith also picked up a nice bonus for his play in his second season. He earned an extra $227,721, which ranked 24th among those issued the extra pay for last season.:dang:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08092/869627-66.stm

I guess Smith and Colon both met the incentive clauses in their contracts for best impersonation of a human turnstile by a player at their respective positions

psh! you and i both could do a better job of being human turnstiles...

tony hipchest
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
i still dont fully understand the nuances of the LBTE and NLBTE (likely vs. non likely to be earned) bonuses, but appearantly ben and james harrison earned some too because our cap is shortened by $1.9 mil this season.

PisnNapalm
04-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't think Anthony Smith played all that bad last season. He's young and still learning. Yes he got smoked in our playoff loss.

Colon though.... I got nothing.

19ward86
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
congrats??

Galax Steeler
04-02-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't think Anthony Smith played all that bad last season. He's young and still learning. Yes he got smoked in our playoff loss.

Colon though.... I got nothing.

yea he did get somked especialy in the patriots game but you live and learn I hope he makes it.

Lord Stiller
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
would have been nice to see Smith in the playoff game knocking people around rather than Tyrone Carter getting smoked

Lord Stiller
04-02-2008, 07:40 AM

He didn't play at all in the playoff game. Tomlin made a big mistake and benched him.

What are you talking about??

lilyoder6
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
i agree there.. smith is a beeter player than carter.. i mean how can u get ur ankles broken by a david???

jason97673
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
It was Tyrone Carter who got smoked and outrun by Garrard.

Smith played very well last year. But people overlook it because he got beat on flea flickers twice and got beat deep by Randy Moss.

The steelers allowed the 2nd least 40+ pass plays last year. And up until the NE game, they allowed ONE, which was a flea flicker against the Jets. And one of the reasons was because of Anthony Smiths play. And out of those 4 40+ pass plays they allowed, two were on flea flickers, something almost everyone bites on. We also allowed the third least 20+ pass plays. If Smith played so bad then how come we didn't allow one of the most big pass plays?

Atlanta Dan
04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
It was Tyrone Carter who got smoked and outrun by Garrard.

Smith played very well last year. But people overlook it because he got beat on flea flickers twice and got beat deep by Randy Moss.

The steelers allowed the 2nd least 40+ pass plays last year. And up until the NE game, they allowed ONE, which was a flea flicker against the Jets. And one of the reasons was because of Anthony Smiths play. And out of those 4 40+ pass plays they allowed, two were on flea flickers, something almost everyone bites on. We also allowed the third least 20+ pass plays. If Smith played so bad then how come we didn't allow one of the most big pass plays?

A. Smith gave up THREE big pass plays over a crucial 2 week stretch when the season took its final turn for the worse

Smith was toasted in 2 late season games for consistently peeking into the backfield and getting beaten deep badly - I will defer to Tomlin's opinion that Smith's play over that stretch merited a demotion and respectfully submit that "almost everyone" does not bite on flea flickers.

Here are some box score excerpts for you from weeks 14 and 15:

Week 14 - Steelers at Pats
2nd quarter
Randy Moss 63 yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick), 14:06
Drive: 1 play, 63 yards in 0:10
A. Smith on the coverage

3rd quarter
Jabar Gaffney 56 yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick), 10:06
Drive: 4 plays, 89 yards in 2:29
A. Smith on the coverage

Week 15 - Jax at Steelers
4th quarter
Dennis Northcutt 55 yd pass from David Garrard (missed kick), 3:47
Drive: 1 play, 55 yards in 0:10 Jacksonville 22-7
Guess who was the DB on that one as well - blowing that coverage bought Smith a seat on the bench

If A. Smith is going to talk the talk he first needs to learn how to walk the walk

jason97673
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Smith played bad in two games. One in which he was facing the best offense ever. Almost every single team the pats faced got beat deep by them.

The Jax pass if I remember correctly was NOT case of him looking into the backfield. He was right there by Northcutt to defend the pass, he only misplayed the ball or didnt locate it in the air as in didnt know when the ball was coming down.

And Smith earning a spot on the bench his what hurt the rest of our season. Tyrone Carter is slower then David Garrard. On that scramble, if that was Smith, he would of knocked him out instead of getting outrun by a quarterback.

And the Gaffney play was a flea flicker. I still believe almost Everyone in the NFL bites on those. And how about this, Smith was completely out of the play when Moss threw the ball back to Brady but Smith had the speed to get back and come within one yard of knocking the ball away. Whats that say about his athleticism?

Atlanta Dan
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
. Whats that say about his athleticism?

It says to me that he is not a fundamentally sound player but has used his athletic talent to outrun his mistakes. What worked at Syracuse does not work at the next level - at Syracuse he probably would have caught up to that pass since QBs in the Big East do not have the guns and receivers in the Big East do not have the speed found in the NFL. But unfortunately for Smith Pitt and Rutgers are not on the Steelers schedule.

The Duke
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
but Smith had the speed to get back and come within one yard of knocking the ball away

one yard away from making a play is not good enough, either you make the play or not. and I'm one of the biggest anthony smith supporters.

the fact is he has a lot of growing up to do this offseason, and the best we can do as fans is believe in him. hopefully those "one yard away" plays become a complete play, one in which we can be proud of our safety

PisnNapalm
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
He didn't play at all in the playoff game. Tomlin made a big mistake and benched him.

What are you talking about??

I'm old. give me a break :flap: It was the Pats game where he flapped his yap and then got smoked by Moss. That's what I was thinking about.

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
atlanta dan saying that smith gave up 3 big passes in a 2 week span.. is not that bad.. in other games he started he did well.. i mean there are players week in and week out that get burned.. or mess up during a play...

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
atlanta dan saying that smith gave up 3 big passes in a 2 week span.. is not that bad.. in other games he started he did well.. i mean there are players week in and week out that get burned.. or mess up during a play...

The busted plays you see are usually only the tip of the iceberg

If A. Smith was blown out on those three coverages, who knows how many other assignments he blew or failed to learn in practice.

Bottom line is Tomlin had seen enough by the first Jax game - getting benched & replaced by a career scrub such as Tyrone Carter indicates Tomlin & LeBeau had definite issues with Smith's performance

Lord Stiller
04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Smith played bad in two games. One in which he was facing the best offense ever. Almost every single team the pats faced got beat deep by them.

The Jax pass if I remember correctly was NOT case of him looking into the backfield. He was right there by Northcutt to defend the pass, he only misplayed the ball or didnt locate it in the air as in didnt know when the ball was coming down.

And Smith earning a spot on the bench his what hurt the rest of our season. Tyrone Carter is slower then David Garrard. On that scramble, if that was Smith, he would of knocked him out instead of getting outrun by a quarterback.

And the Gaffney play was a flea flicker. I still believe almost Everyone in the NFL bites on those. And how about this, Smith was completely out of the play when Moss threw the ball back to Brady but Smith had the speed to get back and come within one yard of knocking the ball away. Whats that say about his athleticism?

Good post.

NE gameplanned to burn Smith and he took the bait. The TD he gave up in the Jax game was just a great catch, Smith was right there but couldnt make the play. No blame on the CB????

Smith should have never been benched in the playoff game and it cost us big time. Carter got burned on the 4th and 2 and also on the Jones-Drew swing pass for a TD.

rbryan
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to agree. Smith had a couple bad games which got way blown out of proportion due to running his mouth before of the patsie game.

Hopefully he's learned a lesson. I think he'll be fine this year.

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
So the consensus is Smith got benched during the Jax game because he ran his mouth before the Patriots game?

I will assume Tomlin: 1) based Smith's benching on more than that; and 2) presumably is not so Machiavellian that he would wait until the second half of the Jax game to unfurl his master plan of slyly paying Smith back for his pre-Pats patter.

The fact is Smith could not beat Ryan Clark out in camp and had about six weeks of occassional ESPN "jacked-up" highlight hits mixed with spotty coverage skills as an emergency starter until he was back on the bench. If Smith is such a great talent it should not require having a starter almost die to get off the bench.

Preacher
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
So the consensus is Smith got benched during the Jax game because he ran his mouth before the Patriots game?

I will assume Tomlin: 1) based Smith's benching on more than that; and 2) presumably is not so Machiavellian that he would wait until the second half of the Jax game to unfurl his master plan of slyly paying Smith back for his pre-Pats patter.

The fact is Smith could not beat Ryan Clark out in camp and had about six weeks of occassional ESPN "jacked-up" highlight hits mixed with spotty coverage skills as an emergency starter until he was back on the bench. If Smith is such a great talent it should not require having a starter almost die to get off the bench.

AD...

however, the starter at that position could start over pretty much 2/3rds or more of the league at that position. So it isn't exactly a fair estimate of A.Smiths skills that he couldn't beat out Clark last year.

I think Smith was benched not because of physical ability, nor lack of talent, nor even game awareness... he was benched because he was too immature and thus, too aggressive. Any player has to grow into his position. many players have sophomore slumps. He wasn't even a true sophomore last year (hadn't even played a full season of started games). So I give him a bit of a pass.

And I am glad that he got benched. That IS part of the maturity process. Now he knows he has to step up his game.

Atlanta Dan
04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
AD...

however, the starter at that position could start over pretty much 2/3rds or more of the league at that position. So it isn't exactly a fair estimate of A.Smiths skills that he couldn't beat out Clark last year.

Certainly not rapping Clark but if A. Smith is the second coming of Ronnie Lott I would assume he would be starting - as I posted earlier, getting benched for Tyrone Carter indicates the coaches see some real holes in his game.

This was not a one game sitdown - Smith was pretty much done after the Jax game.