PDA

View Full Version : Cops: 3rd-Graders Aimed to Hurt Teacher

SteelersMongol
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Cops: 3rd-Graders Aimed to Hurt Teacher

WAYCROSS, Ga. (AP) - A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said. A prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school, Tanner said.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said...

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080402/D8VPECH80.html

Wow, the 3rd graders. WE ARE evolving fast, aren't we? I think, I was like I couldn't even spell my name right when I was in 3rd grade, or like couldn't even tell which is my right or left side, you know.

And to think my daugther will be in 3rd grade this year. Hmm.

TheWarDen86
04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
:jawdrop: That is just unbelievable.

Galax Steeler
04-02-2008, 04:21 AM
children are learning violence at an early age.

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Thats crazy, this country is going down the drain fast.

millwalldavey
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I see stuff like this everyday. Not to this extreme of course, but there is SUCH a lack of respect in our schools its sick. We were just having a gripe session about this today.

I balme the media and advertisers

Jeremy
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Not to take this in another direction, but you have to wonder how much the parents of these kids were involved in their lives.

Stlrs4Life
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Totally unbelievable.

stlrtruck
04-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Not to take this in another direction, but you have to wonder how much the parents of these kids were involved in their lives.

Parents? What Parents?

millwalldavey
04-02-2008, 04:42 PM

I dont know how many times ive tried to contact parents of failing or misbehaving students. If you can get someone (BIG IF) You usually get some choice 4 letter words. I can jsut imagine wht their lives at home are like.

Sometimes I feel we gotta put the onus on the kids as well and not just blame parents.

Jeremy
04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I dont know how many times ive tried to contact parents of failing or misbehaving students. If you can get someone (BIG IF) You usually get some choice 4 letter words. I can jsut imagine wht their lives at home are like.

Sometimes I feel we gotta put the onus on the kids as well and not just blame parents.

Fair enough, when they're a little older. I don't see how you can blame a 10 year old for this sort of behavior. They learned it somewhere.

The saddest part is that the state generally protects these kinds of parents and punishes good parents who make a mistake. My wife and I found that out first hand.

millwalldavey
04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Fair enough, when they're a little older. I don't see how you can blame a 10 year old for this sort of behavior. They learned it somewhere.

The saddest part is that the state generally protects these kinds of parents and punishes good parents who make a mistake. My wife and I found that out first hand.

Good points on both accounts. I live in a generally dead 'welfare' town. It shows in the behavior of adults and the children. Luckily, there are exceptions with the kids.

Polamalu Princess
04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
This is so upsetting...I have no words to say.

The Duke
04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
some more info....

AP
Experts dubious of Ga. 3rd-grader plot

WAYCROSS, Ga. - Allegations that third-graders hatched an elaborate plot to knock out, handcuff and stab their teacher were met with shock by neighbors and with doubt by psychiatry experts who said it is unlikely that children that young seriously intended to hurt anyone.

Police say the plot at Center Elementary School began because the children, ages 8 to 10, were apparently angry after the teacher disciplined one of the students for standing on a chair.

Students brought a crystal paperweight, a steak knife with a broken handle, steel handcuffs and other items as part of last week's plot, police said Tuesday. They said nine students were involved, but prosecutors are seeking juvenile charges against only three of them.

Experts said children that age are certainly imaginative and capable of creating elaborate games. But Dr. Louis Kraus, a child psychiatry expert at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, said he doubts they would have actually attacked.

"The reality is it is highly unlikely they would have been successful at this," Kraus said. "Even if it had begun, it's unclear whether they actually would have followed through with it."

Most premeditated acts of student violence in schools usually don't occur until high school, Kraus said. Younger children have been known to bring knives or other weapons to school, experts said, but often it's more a matter of showing off or acting tough than part of a deliberate assault attempt.

Police said the plot had been organized enough that some students were assigned specific roles such as covering classroom windows and cleaning up any mess.

Most children under the age of 12 don't generally experience the kind of long-standing anger necessary for a premeditated crime, said Dan Mears, an associate professor at Florida State University's College of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

"Kids tend to be more spontaneous," Mears said. "If they're angry, they act on it right then."

The district attorney is seeking juvenile charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault against an 8-year-old boy and two girls, ages 9 and 10. The girls are also charged with bringing weapons to school.

News of the alleged plot spread quickly through this small south Georgia city on the northern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp, where residents are preparing for their annual SwampFest celebration this weekend.

"They were so young, I just couldn't believe it," said Euleathia Harris, 50, who lives in a public housing complex near the school. "I wouldn't think anything like that would happen in little ol' Waycross. I guess if it can happen in the big cities, it can happen here."

Police Chief Tony Tanner said the plot unraveled when a student reported to school officials Friday that a classmate had a knife in her backpack.

School officials say they punished all nine students, and some received long-term suspension, but they would not be more specific. Under school system rules, children who bring weapons to school may also face expulsion.

Tanner and District Attorney Rick Currie did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

Shavette Owens, whose 7- and 8-year-old children attend the school, said she was glad officials had taken action, but was still somewhat shaken.

"Where were my kids at when these kids had all those weapons?" Owens said. "My heart just dropped, I didn't know what to think."

Georgia law prohibits bringing adult criminal charges against children under 13, but places no age limit on children sent to juvenile court.

Although juvenile offenders can be locked up in detention centers, Randee Waldman, director of the Barton Juvenile Defender Clinic at Emory University School of Law, said the children accused in Waycross seem far too young for that.

"It would take an extraordinary circumstance for a child under the age of 10 to be detained," Waldman said. "Juvenile court is rehabilitative in nature. It's not designed to be punitive."

Children so young often aren't considered competent to stand trial, Waldman said, because they lack the maturity to understand even the basics of the legal system. They may also be deemed too young to have had criminal intent, she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_on_re_us/children_s_plot

hmm....I don't know, but if someone has weapons which can easily kill someone I wouldn't say there are doubts they would have actually attacked, no matter the age.

maybe they didn't mean to hurt, who knows, but that's no reason not to view it as a serious issue

it's unclear what would have followed through with it? man, they had weapons, anything could have followed through it

I'm not saying they should be jailed or something, but this article seems to be treating all this like a non issue

BlastFurnace
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Take these kids and send them all to 1 year of military school if it exists for that age. They may be too young to punish criminally, but they are clearly not too young to teach a lifelong lesson. Take them out of their homes...away from their parents and friends...and give them something that they will never forget.

stlrtruck
04-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Take these kids and send them all to 1 year of military school if it exists for that age. They may be too young to punish criminally, but they are clearly not too young to teach a lifelong lesson. Take them out of their homes...away from their parents and friends...and give them something that they will never forget.

Why that would be giving them discipline and possibly direction! Why would you do that? (yeah, that's a bit of sarcasm)

I love the idea BF, definitely would open the parents' eyes, the children's eyes, and set an example for those coming up in the ranks (no-pun intended). But forget just one year, make it two or three or until they have completed elementary school. Then let the school determine if they are eligible to return to public school or stay through middle school (and then repeat for high school).

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Who's going to pay for them to go to Military School? They are pretty expensive. So when parents can't raise their kids right, and their kids act like criminals, should American Tax dollars pay to send them to Military School?

Just a question, I can see the positive and negative of such a situation.

How about allowing the Parents to spank the crap out of these kids for being such little sociopaths. But then again, the parents probably aren't too good either...so maybe the police should spank the parents for raising psychos.

stlrtruck
04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Who's going to pay for them to go to Military School? They are pretty expensive. So when parents can't raise their kids right, and their kids act like criminals, should American Tax dollars pay to send them to Military School?

Just a question, I can see the positive and negative of such a situation.

How about allowing the Parents to spank the crap out of these kids for being such little sociopaths. But then again, the parents probably aren't too good either...so maybe the police should spank the parents for raising psychos.

If it kept the hooligans in check, I'd give a few extra dollars out of my pay for that. It's either that or teachers, principals, neighbors, and anyone else that see's the little creightons misbehavin' should have an opportunity to give them old school discipline - along with the parents.

Dylan
04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
probably got the idea from the tv