PDA

View Full Version : NFL passes new rules

Stlrs4Life
04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
PALM BEACH, Fla. -- NFL owners concluded their annual meeting owners with quick passages of several proposals and by tabling the re-seeding idea for the playoffs.

Without the necessary 24 votes to pass a re-seeding plan to give wild-card teams the chance to host playoff games, the Competition Committee tabled the concept to a later meeting, most likely May.

Among the proposals that were passed:

? A recommendation to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved. Now, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not. The intended result is more consistency.

? The "Phil Dawson field goal rule" change passed. Now, certain field goals can be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights. Under the previous system, no field goals could be replayed.

? Coaches can now defer a decision on the opening coin toss. This is similar to the college rule. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or kick off.

? A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

? The 5-yard face mask penalty was eliminated. Now, only the serious face mask will be called (and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty). The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.

On Tuesday, the league tabled a Kansas City Chiefs' proposal to prohibit hair hanging over the back of jerseys to the nameplate.

It passed a rule to allow defensive players to wear radio helmets on Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

tony hipchest
04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
speaking of "consistency" and eliminating guesswork on the refs part....

one step forward-

? A recommendation to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved. Now, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not. The intended result is more consistency.

2 steps back
? The 5-yard face mask penalty was eliminated. Now, only the serious face mask will be called (and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty). The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.

:dang:

i do like getting rid of the 5 yard incidental contact with a facemask bar rule though. didnt someones finger actually get stuck in a facemask recently? (incurring a 15 yarder?)

stillers4me
04-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I know Troy had a couple of face mask penalties last year. Hopefully, this will get him off the hook........I can't see him doing a "serious" face mask job.

Galax Steeler
04-03-2008, 04:02 AM
It may bring more 15 yard penalties in the game players trying to see what they can get away with.

stlrtruck
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Hmm ... raise your hand if you can see it costing our team a game when the refs call a 15-yard facemask penalty on 3rd-and-19, and it would've been a 5-yard penalty before.

To reiterate my stance on this issue:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

I didn't understand your stance on the issue. Did you say it was STUPID? :sofunny:

Preacher
04-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I didn't understand your stance on the issue. Did you say it was STUPID? :sofunny:

You really shouldn't put words in people's mouths like that! :wink02:

Elvis
04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I dont really like the 2 feet in bounds no questions asked... I liked the rule that has stood for several years now.. if you are forced out then the catch counts... what is wrong with that? The 5 yard facemask penalty being taken away I like even less. I just think that is dumb to not have that one. The Hair rule, I can see the NFL's point, but I also think that that is a freedom thing of living in the " good ole USA " isnt it? And as for the proposal for the wild card teams having homefield advantage over the division winners was clearly dumb in my opinion.

tony hipchest
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
[SIZE=2][B]I dont really like the 2 feet in bounds no questions asked... I liked the rule that has stood for several years now.. if you are forced out then the catch counts... what is wrong with that? it does reward a defender for hustling to break up a play and ensure the receiver doesnt get 2 feet in bounds. after watching randy moss do the best michael irvin impression in years by constantly pushing off, i guess a little concession was in order in the defenders favor.

BettisFan
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Everything was doing ok why change the rules now! come one the no more 5 yard... dum, 2 feet in bounds...dum come on!

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I like what they were going for. 5 yard penalties were usually incidental contact.

The out of bound things is dumb though. That's a pretty significant change, and getting an in-air catch near the sideline in the red zone is gonna be a lot harder.

BettisFan
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I like what they were going for. 5 yard penalties were usually incidental contact.

The out of bound things is dumb though. That's a pretty significant change, and getting an in-air catch near the sideline in the red zone is gonna be a lot harder.

Games will be lower scoring, which is weak.

fansince'76
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Games will be lower scoring, which is weak.

There's always Arena Football.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
There's always Arena Football.weren't the texans a lower scoring team ???:coffee: