PDA

View Full Version : Huge oil reserve in the usa

MACH1
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I heard on the radio today- that they found a huge oil reserve in north and south dakota, which also reaches into Montana a little bit. conservative estimates put it at 175-500 billion barrels of oil that is reachable!!!

NJarhead
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I still wish there was a good alternative to oil. With our luck though, someone will invent an engine that runs on sand....nothing will change. :dang:

Polamalu Princess
04-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Okay, so are the "Powers that be" going to allow us to dip into the reserve???:banging:

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Lets hope prices go down!

Steeler in Carolina
04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Bush won't let us dip into it. His buddies are getting to rich off the Iraq war.

fansince'76
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Bush won't let us dip into it. His buddies are getting to rich off the Iraq war.

Geologists have been well aware of the potential oil reserves within the Bakken formation in the Dakotas since the '70s. However, at that time, it wasn't economically/technologically practical to go after it. With new technology and oil at 100 bucks+ a barrel, it is now.

SteelersMongol
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I heard on the radio today- that they found a huge oil reserve in north and south dakota, which also reaches into Montana a little bit. conservative estimates put it at 175-500 billion barrels of oil that is reachable!!!

Wow, really? Well if it's true, then Bush can tell Hugo Chaves to "Go to hell" now. :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM

If we're going to place individual blame on presidents, let's be fair. Let's not forget the estimated TRILLION dollar clean burning US coal reserve (the largest in the world) that Clinton made untouchable as a financial quid pro quo to James Riady and the Lippo Group.....the owners of the second largest clean burning coal reserve in the world.....hmmm

Now who screws the U.S. citizens the most with high gas prices.....the U.S. Government. They profit more than any oil company and share none of the expenses or risk. 40 cents per gallon goes to government for doing nothing. If the government investigates anything they should investigate themselves. Government is the biggest business. We are forced to buy their "product" whether we like what they are selling or not.

Godfather
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay, so are are the "Powers that be" going to allow us to dip into the reserve???:banging:

Don't see why not. We've been drilling on land for over 100 years, and a large reserve there makes ANWR and offshore drilling less necessary, so the environmentalists should be happy.

Godfather
04-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, really? Well if it's true, then Bush can tell Hugo Chaves to "Go to hell" now. :thumbsup:

Even better, we can tell the world's #1 sponsor of terrorism (the Saudis) to go piss up a rope.

stlrtruck
04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
We aren't going to drill because politicians listen more to the lobbyists and the big companies that have them in their pocket:

Lobbyists will say it will damage the environment
Companies will say it will cost us millions or billions to get to the oil and WE'RE better off not doing it.

One day this country will have a president and a congress that is more concerned about the country and not their lifestyle!!!

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I hope we do announce that we are going to pursue drilling, oil price is based upon specalation and prospects, so the "prospect" of us going after that oil in itself would lower prices.

steelreserve
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
What's really stupid is that even if they do allow drilling, the government will probably just auction off the rights to private companies for pennies on the dollar, and it'll still be in their interest to keep the price of oil somewhat inflated, so they'll keep it that way.

Once again, this illustrates he benefits of a good, strong totalitarian dictatorship. As dictator, I'd definitely allow drilling, only the government would be the one doing it because I already executed all the oil company heads years ago, and seized their oil fields and refineries. Gas would be about $1.50.

stlrtruck
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
What's really stupid is that even if they do allow drilling, the government will probably just auction off the rights to private companies for pennies on the dollar, and it'll still be in their interest to keep the price of oil somewhat inflated, so they'll keep it that way.

Once again, this illustrates he benefits of a good, strong totalitarian dictatorship. As dictator, I'd definitely allow drilling, only the government would be the one doing it because I already executed all the oil company heads years ago, and seized their oil fields and refineries. Gas would be about $1.50.

You mean with all that you couldn't get it under a buck? :flap:

Stlrs4Life
04-06-2008, 11:30 AM

And also, we wouldn't get the Oil, it would just go to the far east like the Alaskan pipeline. Yeah, al that oil was supposedly coming to us.

silver & black
04-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Hugo Chavez can go to hell regardless. :thmbdown:

fansince'76
04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
And also, we wouldn't get the Oil, it would just go to the far east like the Alaskan pipeline. Yeah, al that oil was supposedly coming to us.

And guess who you can thank for that?

Clinton Lifts Ban on Alaskan Oil Exports

Published: April 29, 1996

President Clinton gave formal clearance today for exporting Alaska's North Slope oil, ending a 23-year-old ban. The President also imposed additional safety requirements on tankers hauling the oil.

Alaska oil exports are permitted under a law the Congress passed last November, but oil companies could not begin carrying the crude abroad until a formal declaration from the President.

The export authority had been sought for years not only by Alaska officials but many in California -- a key re-election campaign state for Mr. Clinton -- where it is expected to help a sagging oil industry by increasing demand.

The President said permitting the exports would generate up to 25,000 more jobs, particularly in California and Alaska.

The Energy Department has projected that the exports would lead to the production of an additional 100,000 barrels of oil.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DE5DE1739F93AA15757C0A9609582 60

Godfather
04-07-2008, 10:04 AM
What's wrong with oil exports? Shouldn't we want American companies to sell their products overseas, especially with the huge trade deficit?

fansince'76
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Option 1: What's wrong with oil exports? Shouldn't we want American companies to sell their products overseas, especially with the huge trade deficit?

Option 2: Even better, we can tell the world's #1 sponsor of terrorism (the Saudis) to go piss up a rope.

As far as oil is concerned, we can't do both as we don't produce enough of it, and I'd prefer it if we could eventually opt for #2.

Hammer67
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM

:jawdrop: :toofunny:

Hammer67
04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
The cost of gasoline is the result of the bottleneck and costs of refining crude oil. Supply is abundant.

Besides...gas isn't that expensive. Gasoline prices here are a lot less then most developed countries.

Environmentalists that keep us from drilling our own oil also negatively impact oil prices. Although, the record profits of the big oil companies have to make you wonder.

And, another random thought....if you think the war in Iraq is about oil then you visit far too many conspiracy websites and lack a firm understanding of US foreign policy and world economics.

Stu Pidasso
04-08-2008, 12:58 AM
People, think long term.

What's the first thing you do to your enemies during a war? You use up all their resources. Fuel, food, manufacturing. THEN, once you've crippled the rest of the world, then you can start on your own stuff, and sell it to them.

Man, that sounds like "One World Government" conspiracy stuff. Well, I'll tell you one thing: that strategy has let me win many a game of Age of Empires.

Godfather
04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, I'll tell you one thing: that strategy has let me win many a game of Age of Empires.

I'm a Civilizations fan myself.

stlrtruck
04-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm a Civilizations fan myself.

You and me both. I just don't have the video card to pull up the game the way I want to do it...makes for a boring experience.

one side only
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
The cost of gasoline is the result of the bottleneck and costs of refining crude oil. Supply is abundant.

Besides...gas isn't that expensive. Gasoline prices here are a lot less then most developed countries.

Environmentalists that keep us from drilling our own oil also negatively impact oil prices. Although, the record profits of the big oil companies have to make you wonder.

And, another random thought....if you think the war in Iraq is about oil then you visit far too many conspiracy websites and lack a firm understanding of US foreign policy and world economics.

Very good post.

revefsreleets
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm still waiting for this...

http://media.canada.com/6c8714d8-471c-4ede-8876-90dda09eae8f/jetsons.jpg

Hammer67
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm still waiting for this...

http://media.canada.com/6c8714d8-471c-4ede-8876-90dda09eae8f/jetsons.jpg

Dude...that's powered by garbage! "Mr. Fusion" :sofunny:

revefsreleets
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM