PDA

View Full Version : Assault charges dropped against Harrison

BlastFurnace
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/

The_WARDen
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I guess money really can buy anything...

rbryan
04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Heres your money sweetie, now drop the charges please.

She got what she was looking for from the get go.

tony hipchest
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
:cheer: WOOHOO! were back to being a "classy" organization again. :cheer:

memphissteelergirl
04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm guessing he pulled a Kobe Bryant and got her a little bling.

And that was one short anger mgmt course he took...don't those things usually last 6 wks or more?
I hope they (the FO) keep him on a short leash from now on....and I hope James knows he can't f*** up again....see Cedrick Wilson.

BlastFurnace
04-03-2008, 10:09 AM

And that was one short anger mgmt course he took...don't those things usually last 6 wks or more?
I hope they (the FO) keep him on a short leash from now on....and I hope James knows he can't f*** up again....see Cedrick Wilson.

I bet what the Rooney's told him about what will be acceptable off-the-field behavior was more effective than the Anger Management course he took.

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 10:10 AM
:cheer: WOOHOO! were back to being a "classy" organization again. :cheer::party: :banana::toast::celebrate:tt03:

i guess this means we can go back to throwing stones in the glass house....:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 10:19 AM
:party: :banana::toast::celebrate:tt03:

i guess this means we can go back to throwing stones in the glass house....:thumbsup:

Man....I just replaced those broken windows too.

Seriously, ask any cop friends you know( I have a few) and you will find out that most domestic abuse charges are dropped by the woman. For right or wrong they often believe that it will not happen again and forgive the guy rather than go thru the pain of having their child's father deemed a criminal.

Its not the same as Kobe Bryant where infidelity normally leads to the "I WANT HALF!" court case.

stlrtruck
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
What kills me about this entire situation (other than than the fact that he hit a woman) is that it was over his child's baptism!!!! Not exactly the image I have for a father arguing over his child's baptism - kind of sends the wrong message about your faith.

paw-n-maul-u
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
haha, who didn't see this coming? BUMP. D-BO silverback back in action!

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
The couple arrived separately but were friendly to each other in the courtroom. Mr. Del Greco said he believes they have reconciled.

see i doubt that james gave her money...l it was the fact the the woman needed to get back together with him so she can have access to the money again..

Edman
04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Good for Silverback, just don't let it happen again, okay?

PisnNapalm
04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
My guess is that the "baby momma" didn't want to lose her sugar daddy over a little water.

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Mr. Del Greco said he believes they have reconciled

Typical of abused women, sadly.

Though I still have no respect for the guy anymore as a person, I'm glad this matter can be laid to rest.

Dino 6 Rings
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
So maybe, he is truly remorseful, she knows he is truly remorseful, and they have worked out their issues and he'll still attend his anger management classes and do everything in his power to provide the best life possible for the child he and his girlfriend brought into the world.

How about 92 pages of "benefit of the doubt" now in this forum instead of "kick him off the team" without waiting for the full story.

The_WARDen
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
So maybe, he is truly remorseful, she knows he is truly remorseful, and they have worked out their issues and he'll still attend his anger management classes and do everything in his power to provide the best life possible for the child he and his girlfriend brought into the world.

How about 92 pages of "benefit of the doubt" now in this forum instead of "kick him off the team" without waiting for the full story.

naaaawwwww....nope sir, don't buy it.

klick81
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
:party: :banana::toast::celebrate:tt03:

Damned SKIPPY! :tt02:

19ward86
04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I garuntee there wasnt a bribe involved, if it even happened the way she said, she probably realized that if she drops the charges she can reap the benifits...duhhh!!

Preacher
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Typical of abused women, sadly.

Though I still have no respect for the guy anymore as a person, I'm glad this matter can be laid to rest.

Ding Ding Ding...

And if she left him? Statistically, she has a very good chance of running right into the arms of another abuser.

he SHOULD be made to pay for six months of counseling for her.

Beyond all of that. I am proud of him for standing up like a man and taking responsibility... I just wished he acted like a man and walked away in the first place.

I respect him as a player. But it will take until his retirement WITHOUT INCIDENT for me to respect him as a person again.

Dino 6 Rings
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Look forward to cheering him on to destroy QBs next season.

OneForTheToe
04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I garuntee there wasnt a bribe involved, if it even happened the way she said, she probably realized that if she drops the charges she can reap the benifits...duhhh!!

Well since he admited it to the cops ... you know why bother, because people are going to believe what they want. As HTG said that is classic abused women behavior, but whatever. I just find it all a bit sad.

Rhee Rhee
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
if it happens again im gonna guarantee harrison was on a roadrage

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
how can u say typical of abused women.. this was the 1st violent act between the 2.. how is she a typical abused women b/c abused women are the ones the get beat time over time again.. and lets just say that u will argue she is like the abused women.. it's not that she is abused.. it's b/c of the money that she can have at her will james.. so the more accurate saying could be typical gold digger women

The_WARDen
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
how can u say typical of abused women.. this was the 1st violent act between the 2.. how is she a typical abused women b/c abused women are the ones the get beat time over time again.. and lets just say that u will argue she is like the abused women.. it's not that she is abused.. it's b/c of the money that she can have at her will james.. so the more accurate saying could be typical gold digger women

I don't even know how to respond to this...

:banging:

Galax Steeler
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm glad this is finally over and he can prepare for the season now.

OneForTheToe
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't even know how to respond to this...

:banging:

Just don't ... and pray that people who write such things never have to experience such things themselves or in their family.:hope:

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Obviously, lily - you've never had a close friend or family member who was in an abusive relationship or have never been in an abusive relationship yourself. You obviously didn't understand my response either. :dang:

First - how do you know that this was the first violent act between the two? Many abused women (and men) don't seek help until they've been injured and/or fear for their own safety or that of their children. Even then, some don't make that call (and some don't ever get the opportunity to make that call). Harrison broke down a door to get to her. I would say that would indicate he was in an uncontrollable rage and would instill the fear of God into her, wouldn't you?

Second - How is she the typical(ly) abused woman you ask? She is rumored to have reconciled with her abuser. Unfortunately, it is a well documented fact that many abused women (and men) return to their abusive partners because their self-esteem and self-worth has been beaten down so low that they feel an emotional dependency on them and have a mindset that they somehow "deserved" the abuse. The abuser promises to "never do it again" to lure his/her partner back to the fold but sadly, more often than not, the physical and/or emotional abuse resumes at some point down the road. I'm not saying this is definitely the case with Harrison, as I don't have a crystal ball in front of me to predict his future behaviors, but I hope to God that the anger management classes have helped him and that he never lays a hand on her again.

Last but not least, your unjustified assumption that this woman reconciled with Harrison because she is a "golddigger" - for lack of a more appropriate term - SUCKS.

memphissteelergirl
04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I am proud of him for standing up like a man and taking responsibility... I just wished he acted like a man and walked away in the first place.

I respect him as a player. But it will take until his retirement WITHOUT INCIDENT for me to respect him as a person again.

I agree, Preacher...

:cheers:

Dino 6 Rings
04-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Obviously, lily - you've never had a close friend or family member who was in an abusive relationship or have never been in an abusive relationship yourself. You obviously didn't understand my response either. :dang:

First - how do you know that this was the first violent act between the two? Many abused women (and men) don't seek help until they've been injured and/or fear for their own safety or that of their children. Even then, some don't make that call (and some don't ever get the opportunity to make that call). Harrison broke down a door to get to her. I would say that would indicate he was in an uncontrollable rage and would instill the fear of God into her, wouldn't you?

Second - How is she the typical(ly) abused woman you ask? She is rumored to have reconciled with her abuser. Unfortunately, it is a well documented fact that many abused women (and men) return to their abusive partners because their self-esteem and self-worth has been beaten down so low that they feel an emotional dependency on them and have a mindset that they somehow "deserved" the abuse. The abuser promises to "never do it again" to lure his/her partner back to the fold but sadly, more often than not, the physical and/or emotional abuse resumes at some point down the road. I'm not saying this is definitely the case with Harrison, as I don't have a crystal ball in front of me to predict his future behaviors, but I hope to God that the anger management classes have helped him and that he never lays a hand on her again.

Last but not least, your unjustified assumption that this woman reconciled with Harrison because she is a "golddigger" - for lack of a more appropriate term - SUCKS.

Where is the proof that this was an abusive relationship, or that this women went back to Harrison because her will was beaten down? Where is the evidence that Harrison has a history of abusing this woman. Police records, calls to the house, cases in public, hospital records, where is the proof that Harrison is an abusive individual that deserves to be labelled as such?

Prove that, then talk to me about "until someone you know is abused, you don't know" cause I do know, I've lived through it and seen it, and because I have, I have a bad word for people that try to "cry wolf" and claim abuse when really, they have no idea what true abuse really involves.

So deal with the Facts. Fact, he admitted he did wrong. Fact, he turned himself in, Fact, he went to anger management, Fact, He knows this was his one time get out of jail ( or kicked off the team) card, Fact, They made up, Fact The Charges were Dropped.

fansince'76
04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Prove that, then talk to me about "until someone you know is abused, you don't know" cause I do know, I've lived through it and seen it, and because I have, I have a bad word for people that try to "cry wolf" and claim abuse when really, they have no idea what true abuse really involves.

What exactly is "true abuse" - when she winds up in the hospital with her jaw wired shut? Sorry, it ain't "crying wolf" when HE ADMITTED TO IT.

Dino 6 Rings
04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
What exactly is "true abuse" - when she winds up in the hospital with her jaw wired shut? Sorry, it ain't "crying wolf" when HE ADMITTED TO IT.

Slapped Once isn't Abuse.

fansince'76
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

And exactly what proof do you have that that was the only incident?

Dino 6 Rings
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
And exactly what proof do you have that that was the only incident?

Burden of Proof is on the prosecution.

Until I see or hear otherwise, I will believe that James Harrison is a good honest man that made a very horrible mistake, one time.

stillers4me
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm glad this is over.

We don't know what their relationship is like........we can only make assumptions.

Having met the man myself, I only tell you that he seemed like a very intelligent and sincere man. Obviously, the Rooney's and Mike Tomlin believe that, too. I am in NO way condoning what he did. ( Any one who has experienced abuse at the hands of another has my sincere sympathy). I would be very surprised to see any further incidents of abuse from him. (and if there is, I'd expect him to be cut before it ever hits the headlines, The Rooney Way) It was a heated, emotional situation that got way out hand (gosh I've never had that happen ....insert eye roll here) and I do believe he has true remorse for what happened. He has to live with that guilt the rest of his life.

Both he and Ced made public apologies for their behavior. (which went against their lawyers judgement). Living in Cinci, I've yet to see a Bengal player make any kind of apology to anyone. Just a bunch of losers making excuses for them, over and over and over again.

millwalldavey
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I hate things like this... as if people can get along to begin with, things like this in the news are just more divisive among men and women...

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM

O M F G!!!! :jawdrop:

YES IT IS.

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Where is the proof that this was an abusive relationship, or that this women went back to Harrison because her will was beaten down? Where is the evidence that Harrison has a history of abusing this woman. Police records, calls to the house, cases in public, hospital records, where is the proof that Harrison is an abusive individual that deserves to be labelled as such?

So deal with the Facts. Fact, he admitted he did wrong. Fact, he turned himself in, Fact, he went to anger management, Fact, He knows this was his one time get out of jail ( or kicked off the team) card, Fact, They made up, Fact The Charges were Dropped.

Prove that, then talk to me about "until someone you know is abused, you don't know" cause I do know, I've lived through it and seen it,

I'm truly sorry, Dino, but I have to call BS on that statement. If you "lived through" abuse and "seen it", there is no way on God's good earth that you would have taken the attitude you have. No way.

I am not going to beat this dead horse any longer, Dino. You have your opinion (sadly imho) and I have mine. The matter was legally resolved and I pray to God this all can be laid to rest and that this woman is never physically abused by Harrison or anyone else again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
- kind of sends the wrong message about your faith.

Not so. Actually religion and violence/war go hand in hand.

In the words of George Carlin......"religion is the cause of most wars in history.......My God can kick the crap out of Your God!!!"

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 05:10 PM

To Ike Turner its a slow day.

To a redneck from (insert state here) its foreplay.

If it happened to me its grounds for retaliation. (An Eye for an Eye)

If it happened to my sister its cause for a fight.

Welcome to the 21st century. Drop the club, begin to stand upright and come on out of the cave.

VTsteel
04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

Agreed - at least 6 weeks

I would be floored if he didn't keep his nose clean and we kept him. I love his play last season . . . Smackin' his bitch - not so much.

Steelman16
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Now do the Rooney's still look stupid?

I hope James remembers he's under the radar now. Because if he doesn't watch his p's and q's from here on out, it will be tough for him. He can go play madman on Sundays.

Galax Steeler
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Now do the Rooney's still look stupid?

I hope James remembers he's under the radar now. Because if he doesn't watch his p's and q's from here on out, it will be tough for him. He can go play madman on Sundays.

I would say he will be walking on thin ice for awhile.

SteelersTilIDie
04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
it is about time

nicesteel4life
04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I would say he will be walking on thin ice for awhile.
Totally Disagree! There is no thin Ice to walk on...He has no record on him now!
Charges were dropped! Period end of story. See BIG diffrence between him and Wilson. His Girlfriend didn't press the charges, the police did by EYE witness account. TOTALLY diffrent...... Yes! he did wrong, but as of now it doesn't exist and cant be used against him. If, and I pray he wouldn't, hit a woman again it would still be considered a 1st offence. The Steelers probably would cut him BUT, would have wrongfull union practices brought against them.

Harrison I think learned his lesson!
Harrison still has a clean record!
Only thing truly left is other Peoples Opinions!

tony hipchest
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
if it happens again im gonna guarantee harrison was on a roadrage

:huh:

now theres an emmitt smithism ive never heard.

BettisFan
04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
James, you got lucky this time dont let it happen again

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Totally Disagree! There is no thin Ice to walk on...He has no record on him now!
Charges were dropped! Period end of story. See BIG diffrence between him and Wilson. His Girlfriend didn't press the charges, the police did by EYE witness account. TOTALLY diffrent...... Yes! he did wrong, but as of now it doesn't exist and cant be used against him. If, and I pray he wouldn't, hit a woman again it would still be considered a 1st offence. The Steelers probably would cut him BUT, would have wrongfull union practices brought against them.

Harrison I think learned his lesson!
Harrison still has a clean record!
Only thing truly left is other Peoples Opinions!

You forgot one . . .

Harrison ADMITTED to the accusations against him which is actually more damning from a legal aspect than an eye witness. There is no "he said, she said" in his case. I have no doubt whatsoever that he will remain on very, very thin ice with the Steelers.

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
sry i didn't reply earlier.. i had a b-ball game.. i would have to go w/ dino here.. how do u know that she didn't go back to him b/c of the money?? and i doubt that she was locked up in the house evry single min of evry signle day.. so when she went into to public there was NO apperant marks..... ( and u'll probaly say that they were hidden) but i bet during sometime she would go swimming or go to day spa w other women.. so..

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
i would have to go w/ dino here.. how do u know that she didn't go back to him b/c of the money??

And how do you (and Dino) know that she did??? Not all women are money grubbing, gold-digging, lying wenches. :dang::banging:

so when she went into to public there was NO apperant marks.

Considering the assault happened on March 9th - almost a month ago - I wouldn't think there would be any obvious "marks" visible. :dang::banging:

but i bet during sometime she would go swimming or go to day spa w other women.. so

Where on earth did you come up with that gobbledegook? :jawdrop:

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
u saying that this could of went on 4 a while w/o her saying so... so where were the marks from when this was suppsoed to be happening.. also the he slapped her was when she went to the policew and stayed w/ family members.. there was no mark a day after.. :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

u might be right bout not all women are in 4 the money but i god damn sure that him having money is the sole reason she dropped the charge and went back to him....

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
COMMON TRAITS of an abuser
Denial: In many cases, the abuser will act as if nothing happened, in order to excuse his/her behavior. If they do admit their actions, it is always the fault of the victim. They justify their actions by claiming that they were provoked.
i don't think james is in denial since he admitted itFrequent abuser: Many abusers have previous instances of abuse in their pasts. Some might have even been arrested or treated for violent tendencies. However often times their current partner is unaware of these situations. this was james 1st time being charged with any thing that i have heard ofManipulation: Abusers know how and when to make their partner feel guilty. By causing guilt, the victim is more likely to stay and deal with the abuse, rather then feel "responsible" for any harm their abuser might inflict on themselves. Suicide is frequently used as a method of manipulation. Sometimes an abuser will go as far as to cut or cause other forms of harm to themselves in order to keep their victim from leaving. i doubt that james did any of this
Inability to understand or recognize their problem: The abuser is often times, if at all, the last person to admit that they have a problem. Abusers commonly do not respond well to counseling because they are unable to understand their anger or confusion i think james realized what he has done was wrong
Although these traits do not apply to each and every single abuser, they do apply to a majority of them.

Galax Steeler
04-04-2008, 03:28 AM
:huh:

now theres an emmitt smithism ive never heard.

:toofunny::toofunny:

zulater
04-04-2008, 05:17 AM

While what you present is obviously a best case scenario, given the circumstances in evidence I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.Speaking only for myself, as long as there's no further flare-ups I see no reason not to give him the benifit of the doubt. While this sort of thing never entirely goes away, it's possible to shelve it and enjoy Harrison's play in the season(s) ahead. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2008, 06:37 AM
You forgot one . . .

Harrison ADMITTED to the accusations against him which is actually more damning from a legal aspect than an eye witness. There is no "he said, she said" in his case. I have no doubt whatsoever that he will remain on very, very thin ice with the Steelers.

BINGO!!!

This was the scenerio that I had brought up earlier that could have put the Steelers Front office is something of a pickle in regards to wrongful termination. However...with Harrisons admission..the Steelers can invoke whatever "morality" clause that they put into their contracts and put Mr. Harrison on notice...and technically could have let him go.

TackleMeBen
04-04-2008, 06:44 AM
how many of us knew that this was going to happen. whether its right or not, we all knew that he wouldnt be convicted in a court of law over this. hopefully they both learned their lesson. and maybe the girlfriend should attend anger mgmt classes with him. (not saying that she has issues or not, but it wouldnt hurt.)

HometownGal
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
u saying that this could of went on 4 a while w/o her saying so... so where were the marks from when this was suppsoed to be happening.. also the he slapped her was when she went to the policew and stayed w/ family members.. there was no mark a day after.. :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

u might be right bout not all women are in 4 the money but i god damn sure that him having money is the sole reason she dropped the charge and went back to him....

Considering the fact that Ms. Tibbott and Harrison have a child together, I'd say they've been together at least a year - wouldn't you agree? Did it ever occur to you that if there was a prior assault(s), the "marks" would have disappeared by now? :dang::dang::dang::dang::dang::dang::dang: According to the police reports and the umpteen stories on this matter, there WERE red marks on her face when police arrived on the scene. :dang::dang::dang::dang::dang:

You have your opinion - I have mine - and we're not going to agree on this, and that's fine. The matter has been resolved by both parties, Ms. Tibbott dropped the charges and they've moved on. I'm going to do the same.

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
One quick claification, I never said or thought that she dropped the charges because of money.

It is my belief, that she probably dropped the charges because she Forgave James his one time bad judgement. Finds him truly remorseful, and wants the best for him, herself and their child.

stlrtruck
04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Not so. Actually religion and violence/war go hand in hand.

In the words of George Carlin......"religion is the cause of most wars in history.......My God can kick the crap out of Your God!!!"

While I see the foundation of your statement, I don't think you'll read anywhere in the bible where God speaks of hitting/abusing your wife/girlfriend.

As for Mr. Carlin's quote, that is definitely an entirely different thread. :cheers:

lilyoder6
04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
i have red marks when i sleep on my arm too much.... i have red marks on my forehead when i take my helmet off.. talking bout the discolored marks.. like black n blue..

u said, "Did it ever occur to you that if there was a prior assault(s)," if there was prior assualts then where were the markings... like i stated above she wasn't locked in her house evry sec.. someone would of seen a mark of abuse.. :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

JAMES HARRISON IS NOT AN ABUSER.... it was a 1 time mistake that happens to evryone..

fansince'76
04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
.... it was a 1 time mistake that happens to evryone..

Everyone? No, I think I can safely say I've never been picked up by the cops on a domestic violence charge. Fact remains that breaking down a locked door to get at someone, and then breaking their cell phone in half and slapping them across the face is not normal nor acceptable behavior. Harrison has definite anger management issues that he will need to keep in check from here on out, because if it happens again, he will be shown the door (at least I hope he would if it happens again) .

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Everyone? No, I think I can safely say I've never been picked up by the cops on a domestic violence charge. Fact remains that breaking down a locked door to get at someone, and then breaking their cell phone in half and slapping them across the face is not normal nor acceptable behavior. Harrison has definite anger management issues that he will need to keep in check from here on out, because if it happens again, he will be shown the door (at least I hope he would if it happens again) .

but have you ever been picked up by the cops? that's the question.

A locked Bedroom door, not hard to kick "down" or kick open.

Cell phone...piece of plastic, that he probably snapped the spring off for the little pop up ear piece, I doubt he actually broke a phone in half.

He's been in Anger class, and has completed it.

Basically, if he gets a j-walking ticket, he'll be off the team. I would bet he knows it, the Rooney's know it and Tomlin knows it.

HometownGal
04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
i have red marks when i sleep on my arm too much.... i have red marks on my forehead when i take my helmet off.. talking bout the discolored marks.. like black n blue..

u said, "Did it ever occur to you that if there was a prior assault(s)," if there was prior assualts then where were the markings... like i stated above she wasn't locked in her house evry sec.. someone would of seen a mark of abuse.. :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

Oh for God's sake. :rolleyes::dang: Kid - I truly hope you wake up and smell the coffee before you get involved in a long-term relationship or a marriage.

JAMES HARRISON IS NOT AN ABUSER.... it was a 1 time mistake that happens to evryone.

I vehemently disagree with you and I'm going to leave it at that. :banging::dang:

zulater
04-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Let's get down to what's really at issue here. Harrison screwed up and did a hideous thing, does anyone really dispute that?

But as a Steelers fan given the facts as we know them there's no need to feel guilty for Harrison's continued presense on the roster. There's no need to cringe or feel a pange of remorse when Harrison makes a positive play on the field in the year(s) ahead. To the best of our knowledge Harrison is not a multiple time offender, so disdaining the likes of Pacman Jones, Chris Henry, and Leonard Little and the teams that continue or intend to employ them doesn't make us hypocritical. He's not them. His actions since the troubles occured would allow a reasonable person or orginization to grant him a second chance. (but no more) Ergo the Rooney's haven't acted in a disengenuous manner by not severing ties with him. End of story. Or at least we hope so. :hunch:

lilyoder6
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
so if someone drank 1 beer he/she is a alcoholic.. or someone that was injected w/ a drug is addicted??? if u get 1 speeding ticket ur a horrible driver??? a 1 time thing does not mean that is the way he/she acts all the time.. i think u need to wake up and open ur eyes to see that world isn't perfect.. and ppl make mistakes

rbryan
04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
If someone murders one time they are a murderer.

I see your point, but theres a big difference between all these examples. Not comparing what he did to murder but not all acts can be forgiven just because it only happened once.

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

I see your point, but theres a big difference between all these examples. Not comparing what he did to murder but not all acts can be forgiven just because it only happened once.

that 12 year old boy that killed his mothers attacker that made the news earlier this week, he's a "murderer" but most would call him a hero for protecting his mom.

Every Case needs to be looked at individually.

HometownGal
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
so if someone drank 1 beer he/she is a alcoholic.. or someone that was injected w/ a drug is addicted??? if u get 1 speeding ticket ur a horrible driver??? a 1 time thing does not mean that is the way he/she acts all the time.. i think u need to wake up and open ur eyes to see that world isn't perfect.. and ppl make mistakes

Young man, seriously - I'm done debating this subject with you. We aren't going to agree and quite frankly my head hurts from reading your posts. :banging:

I know all too well that people make mistakes - I'm far from perfect and I've made my share of them, but those mistakes weren't ever the direct cause of another person's agony. I was raised better than that and to this day, my late father would hit me square in the hiney with a lightning bolt from the heavens if I ever deviated from the morals and values he instilled in me.

As I've said repeatedly (and for the last time) - I will respect James Harrison's play on the field as a member of the team I love and support, but my respect for him as a human being has taken a serious hit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM

If someone puts a gun in their kids mouth they are a child abuser????

Only if they are not a pro football that I am a fan of.......that is what this really boils down to. If you are a Steelers Fan and a Harrison fan, its just a mistake. If somebody down the street did this he would be a guy that beats his girlfriend, but because he is a pseudo-celebrity he gets a pass from his fans.

TackleMeBen
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
unfortunely that is quite true. if you are a Celebrity you can get by with stuff that normal people dont.. reminds of the song by Brad Paisley.. Celebrity

Someday I'm gonna be famous
Do I have talent ... well ... no
These days you don't really need it
Thanks to reality shows
Can't Wait to date a supermodel
Can't Wait to sue my dad
Can't wait to wreck a Ferrari
On my way to rehab

'Cause when you're a Celebrity
It's adios reality
You can act just like a fool
People think you're cool
Just 'cause your on TV
I can throw A major fit
When my latte isn't just how I like it
They say I've gone insane
I'll blame it on the fame
And the pressures that it goes with
Being a Celebrity

I get to cry to Barbara Walters
When Things don't go my way
I'll get community service
No matter which law I break
I'll make the supermarket tabloids
They'll write some awful stuff
But the more they run my name down
THE MORE MY PRICE GOES UP

So let's hitch up the wagons and head out west
To the land of fun in the sun
We'll be real world bachelors
Jackass Millionaires

lilyoder6
04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
who deleted my post???? i don't think i said any bad words in my post...

el gonzo putting a gun in someone's mouth is not abuse.. that is called attemtped murder...

also if this was down the street and i knew the guy i would help him out since i know, and he knows he messed up and went over board this one time

LVSteelersfan
04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Young man, seriously - I'm done debating this subject with you. We aren't going to agree and quite frankly my head hurts from reading your posts. :banging:

I know all too well that people make mistakes - I'm far from perfect and I've made my share of them, but those mistakes weren't ever the direct cause of another person's agony. I was raised better than that and to this day, my late father would hit me square in the hiney with a lightning bolt from the heavens if I ever deviated from the morals and values he instilled in me.

As I've said repeatedly (and for the last time) - I will respect James Harrison's play on the field as a member of the team I love and support, but my respect for him as a human being has taken a serious hit.

It is pointless to go on and on and on about all of this. People make mistakes in life. My brother tried to help a woman friend out by letting her stay at his place for a a few days when she had no place else to go. They were not married. She was not his girlfriend. She got PO'ed because he came home really late one night after work. She started screaming at him and he tried to walk away and out the door. She hauled off and hit him as hard as she could across the forehead above his good eye. (He is blind in one eye) She hurt her hand in the process. He got out of there and went to a Seven-11 down the street. A few minutes later he got picked up by the cops. She told the cops he stepped on her hand and broke her fingers (an absolute blatant lie) The idiot cops knew her so of course her word was accepted over his. She had him arrested for domestic abuse even though he did NOTHING. He spent two days in jail, went through court crap for a couple years, lost his job and did NOTHING. You have NO IDEA what the real story is going on in the background here. I suppose you want to label my brother as an ABUSER too just because he was arrested. She was a freakin crack profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter and he had to go to prison. This is one screwed up world we live in.

fansince'76
04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
It is pointless to go on and on and on about all of this. People make mistakes in life. My brother tried to help a woman friend out by letting her stay at his place for a a few days when she had no place else to go. They were not married. She was not his girlfriend. She got PO'ed because he came home really late one night after work. She started screaming at him and he tried to walk away and out the door. She hauled off and hit him as hard as she could across the forehead above his good eye. (He is blind in one eye) She hurt her hand in the process. He got out of there and went to a Seven-11 down the street. A few minutes later he got picked up by the cops. She told the cops he stepped on her hand and broke her fingers (an absolute blatant lie) The idiot cops knew her so of course her word was accepted over his. She had him arrested for domestic abuse even though he did NOTHING. He spent two days in jail, went through court crap for a couple years, lost his job and did NOTHING. You have NO IDEA what the real story is going on in the background here. I suppose you want to label my brother as an ABUSER too just because he was arrested. She was a freakin crack profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter and he had to go to prison. This is one screwed up world we live in.

One minor difference here - HARRISON ADMITTED TO THE ASSAULT. This was NOT a case of he said/she said. Those of us who don't support Harrison in this case may indeed not know the whole story, but neither do you. I think his admission of guilt was pretty damning for him, though. Hate to burst your bubble here, but not all women are gold-digging bold-faced liars who make false assault reports when they don't get what they want. I also maintain, and will continue to maintain, my feeling that if it happens again he should be given his walking papers.

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I also maintain, and will continue to maintain, my feeling that if it happens again he should be given his walking papers.

And that's all anybody's been saying all along! First offense, ...........now he's on notice. I've seen it posted about five hundred times already.

Now...... who are we going draft, hmmmmmmm?

lilyoder6
04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
y are my posts being deleted??? and i think thats is what evryone is saying that if he does it again he should be gone..

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I can see your posts. Did you accidently put yourself on ignore?? :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
:toofunny:

TackleMeBen
04-05-2008, 09:33 PM

now stillers, we should be nice.. :wink02:lol

LVSteelersfan
04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
One minor difference here - HARRISON ADMITTED TO THE ASSAULT. This was NOT a case of he said/she said. Those of us who don't support Harrison in this case may indeed not know the whole story, but neither do you. I think his admission of guilt was pretty damning for him, though. Hate to burst your bubble here, but not all women are gold-digging bold-faced liars who make false assault reports when they don't get what they want. I also maintain, and will continue to maintain, my feeling that if it happens again he should be given his walking papers.

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I was one of those who thought he should be sent packing after I heard about it. I agree with you 100 percent if it happens again he is gone. I am just saying that things are not what always what they seem to be. I am sorry, but one slap to the face doesn't necessarily make anyone a woman beater for life. It is STUPID. I DON'T CONDONE IT. But accusing someone of being a diehard, never going to stop, woman abuser because of one incident is very narrow minded.

My ex-wife got po'ed at me because I took my son over to my new girlfriend's house for dinner against her wishes. She came at me with both hands as hard as she could, hit me in the chest and knocked me backwards into the fridge because I didn't have my feet set and didn't expect it. I just walked away and left MY HOUSE to dissipate the situation. I do not consider her an abuser because of ONE INCIDENT but that was definitely a case of assault. She did it with the intent of hurting me. Things happen in the heat of the moment. Think whatever you want. He could very well be a woman beater, abuser etc. but you have to give someone the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of cases. I personally think they should take all of the thugs and their posses and get them out of football and put them in Iraq to fight our wars. But there would be no one left to play as a lot of the best players are definitely thugs.

X-Terminator
04-05-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure HTG can tell the difference between your brother's situation and Harrison's. I'm also quite sure she knows that there are plenty of women out there who do lie about abuse to get what they want or to get revenge. But in this instance, Harrison admitted to doing it, which pretty much blows your entire argument out of the water. It is also amazing that so many of you automatically rush to blame the woman or accuse her of dirty pool without knowing the entire situation, but you don't hesitate to accuse HTG and others who don't support Harrison of the same. Still though, Harrison's admission = guilt, and guilt = abuse. Simple as that. No man should EVER lay a hand on a woman for any other reason than self-defense.

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure HTG can tell the difference between your brother's situation and Harrison's. I'm also quite sure she knows that there are plenty of women out there who do lie about abuse to get what they want or to get revenge. But in this instance, Harrison admitted to doing it, which pretty much blows your entire argument out of the water. It is also amazing that so many of you automatically rush to blame the woman or accuse her of dirty pool without knowing the entire situation, but you don't hesitate to accuse HTG and others who don't support Harrison of the same. Still though, Harrison's admission = guilt, and guilt = abuse. Simple as that. No man should EVER lay a hand on a woman for any other reason than self-defense.

And I agree. However, Harrison admitted to slapping her but what we don't know is the sequence of events that led up to it. They do, they resolved it in their own way, and we as fans should respect that they both seem remorseful and want what's best for their child. For now, I believe that this is a one time incident that went amuck. I still hold the belief that if it happens again, we can say goodbye to Silverback.

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I was one of those who thought he should be sent packing after I heard about it. I agree with you 100 percent if it happens again he is gone. I am just saying that things are not what always what they seem to be. I am sorry, but one slap to the face doesn't necessarily make anyone a woman beater for life. It is STUPID. I DON'T CONDONE IT. But accusing someone of being a diehard, never going to stop, woman abuser because of one incident is very narrow minded.

Very wise words, LVSteelersfan.

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Part of Harrison's PR problem, I believe, is that threatening glare we always see him pictured with.

As I've posted before. I got to meet him last year on draft day. He walked into the sports bar with that same steely eyed stare that he gives the media and and the offensive line of the opposing team. It's extremely intimidating.

While he appeared to be a bit uncomfortable with the attention he was getting, he soon loosened up and was very friendly and accommodating to all the fans. He lost the glare (all part of the show) and had quite a nice twinkle in his eyes and a good sense of humor. And knowing this, I for one, can give him the benefit of the doubt, and pray that something like this never,ever happens again. I really do think he is truly remorseful for what happened. It's that steely eyed, intimidating glare and reputation on the field that makes most people believe that he just has to be a woman abuser and horrible brute. You don't see pictures like this of James Harrison.......this is the James Harrison I got to meet. Keep your cool, James. Save it for the job.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/draftday002Small.jpg?t=1207451734

He laughed when he saw how tall my husband was, and at first stood on a chair to get the picture taken. He looked at each and every picture taken with a fan and if he didn't like it, he had it taken again!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-06-2008, 05:59 AM
who deleted my post???? i don't think i said any bad words in my post...

el gonzo putting a gun in someone's mouth is not abuse.. that is called attemtped murder...

also if this was down the street and i knew the guy i would help him out since i know, and he knows he messed up and went over board this one time

Let me try and clarify this from a law enforcement standpoint....You cant equate drinking "one beer" with hitting a person. There is a reason that laws..and degrees of laws are set up the way they are.

When a person purposefully strikes another person outside of self defense...whether in the heat of the moment or not...whether they feel bad about it afterwards or not...whether they have never done in before or not...that person would/could be arrested for A) Battery or B) Domestic Battery. It is VERY fair..and LEGALLY correct to classify that person as "one who abused another"...an abuser. I am not talking about socially correct...I am not talking about emotionally correct...but LEGALLY.

You wont find a cop...judge...or lawyer who will question that fact.

You can sympathize for that person...you can feel sorry for that person...you can want to help that person...and all that is GREAT...for you. But it takes nothing away from his mistake and the legal definition of what he did and what he is legally classified as.

stillers4me
04-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Let me try and clarify this from a law enforcement standpoint....You cant equate drinking "one beer" with hitting a person. There is a reason that laws..and degrees of laws are set up the way they are.

When a person purposefully strikes another person outside of self defense...whether in the heat of the moment or not...whether they feel bad about it afterwards or not...whether they have never done in before or not...that person would/could be arrested for A) Battery or B) Domestic Battery. It is VERY fair..and LEGALLY correct to classify that person as "one who abused another"...an abuser. I am not talking about socially correct...I am not talking about emotionally correct...but LEGALLY.

You wont find a cop...judge...or lawyer who will question that fact.

You can sympathize for that person...you can feel sorry for that person...you can want to help that person...and all that is GREAT...for you. But it takes nothing away from his mistake and the legal definition of what he did and what he is legally classified as.
You are right on the nose, LLT. And there are some people I would never trust and never give a second chance to..........and there are others who I would. The Rooney's obviously feel that James deserves a chance to redeem himself. I hope that he does. For his sake, her sake and his sons sake. Only the man himself knows what's in his heart.

Now.........how about that draft????? :wink02:

TackleMeBen
04-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Now.........how about that draft????? :wink02:

i pick a very very tall WR:wink02: lol

lilyoder6
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
i'm gonna post this again.. u are still labeling him after a mistake
COMMON TRAITS of an abuser
Denial: In many cases, the abuser will act as if nothing happened, in order to excuse his/her behavior. If they do admit their actions, it is always the fault of the victim. They justify their actions by claiming that they were provoked.
i don't think james is in denial since he admitted itFrequent abuser: Many abusers have previous instances of abuse in their pasts. Some might have even been arrested or treated for violent tendencies. However often times their current partner is unaware of these situations. this was james 1st time being charged with any thing that i have heard ofManipulation: Abusers know how and when to make their partner feel guilty. By causing guilt, the victim is more likely to stay and deal with the abuse, rather then feel "responsible" for any harm their abuser might inflict on themselves. Suicide is frequently used as a method of manipulation. Sometimes an abuser will go as far as to cut or cause other forms of harm to themselves in order to keep their victim from leaving. i doubt that james did any of this
Inability to understand or recognize their problem: The abuser is often times, if at all, the last person to admit that they have a problem. Abusers commonly do not respond well to counseling because they are unable to understand their anger or confusion i think james realized what he has done was wrong
Although these traits do not apply to each and every single abuser, they do apply to a majority of them.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm going to lock this thread. This dead horse has been beaten too many times already. Look - we all have taken a stance on the Harrison matter and no one is going to change anyone else's mind. Let's move on.