PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news....Bengals release Henry

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Posted: 18 minutes ago
Bengals release WR Henry after assault charge
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals today released troubled wide receiver Chris Henry on the heels of his most recent legal troubles.

"Chris Henry has forfeited his opportunity to pursue a career with the Bengals," team president Mike Brown said in a statement released by the club. "His conduct can no longer be tolerated. "

Henry has been accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Henry, 24, was charged with misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging in the Monday incident in Cincinnati. A warrant for his arrest was issued Wednesday, and Henry surrendered, a police spokesman said.

Chris Henry, WR
Cincinnati Bengals
Career Statistics
Exp: 3 yrs Rec: 88
Yards: 1,370
TDs: 17Henry was being held in the Hamilton County jail pending a court appearance Thursday.

The player's agent, Marvin Frazier, said Henry gave him a different version of events but declined to elaborate.

"I was told it didn't happen that way," Frazier said.

Henry has had a string of problems with police. He most recently was in court last week after being ticketed for driving with expired Kentucky license plates. He paid $149, according to the Hamilton County Municipal Court records.

Henry, who was arrested four times during a 14-month span, was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.

"The Bengals tried for an extended period of time to support Chris and his potentially bright career," team president Brown said in his statement. "We had hoped to guide him toward an appropriate standard of personal responsibility that this community would support and that would allow him to play in the NFL. We acknowledge those fans who had concerns about Chris; at the same time we tried to help a young man. But those efforts end today, as we move on with what is best for our team ."

Court records don't indicate that Henry has hired an attorney in the new case.

According to an affidavit filed in Hamilton County, Henry was identified by Gregory Meyer, whose hometown was not listed, and an eyewitness. The eyewitness claimed Henry punched Meyer, causing "visible injury." Henry then threw a beer bottle at Meyer's car, breaking the rear passenger window, according to the affidavit.

After his most recent arrest, Henry pleaded guilty to letting minors drink alcohol in a hotel room he had rented. He served two days in jail.

The Bengals issued a statement expressing frustration with Henry when he was in traffic court a year ago for driving with a suspended license.

Following his NFL suspension, Henry caught 21 passes for 343 yards and two touchdowns.

CantStop85
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Posted: 18 minutes ago
Bengals release WR Henry after assault charge
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals today released troubled wide receiver Chris Henry on the heels of his most recent legal troubles.

"Chris Henry has forfeited his opportunity to pursue a career with the Bengals," team president Mike Brown said in a statement released by the club. "His conduct can no longer be tolerated. "

Henry has been accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Henry, 24, was charged with misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging in the Monday incident in Cincinnati. A warrant for his arrest was issued Wednesday, and Henry surrendered, a police spokesman said.

Chris Henry, WR
Cincinnati Bengals
Career Statistics
Exp: 3 yrs Rec: 88
Yards: 1,370
TDs: 17Henry was being held in the Hamilton County jail pending a court appearance Thursday.

The player's agent, Marvin Frazier, said Henry gave him a different version of events but declined to elaborate.

Henry has had a string of problems with police. He most recently was in court last week after being ticketed for driving with expired Kentucky license plates. He paid $149, according to the Hamilton County Municipal Court records.

Henry, who was arrested four times during a 14-month span, was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.

"The Bengals tried for an extended period of time to support Chris and his potentially bright career," team president Brown said in his statement. "We had hoped to guide him toward an appropriate standard of personal responsibility that this community would support and that would allow him to play in the NFL. We acknowledge those fans who had concerns about Chris; at the same time we tried to help a young man. But those efforts end today, as we move on with what is best for our team ."

Court records don't indicate that Henry has hired an attorney in the new case.

According to an affidavit filed in Hamilton County, Henry was identified by Gregory Meyer, whose hometown was not listed, and an eyewitness. The eyewitness claimed Henry punched Meyer, causing "visible injury." Henry then threw a beer bottle at Meyer's car, breaking the rear passenger window, according to the affidavit.

After his most recent arrest, Henry pleaded guilty to letting minors drink alcohol in a hotel room he had rented. He served two days in jail.

The Bengals issued a statement expressing frustration with Henry when he was in traffic court a year ago for driving with a suspended license.

Following his NFL suspension, Henry caught 21 passes for 343 yards and two touchdowns.

Looks like the Bengals aren't playing around with character problems anymore.

Counselor
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Any bets on who picks him up?

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
dallas.... i would image he should be facing a long suspencion, if theres truth to the story.

msafford
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
dallas.... i would image he should be facing a long suspencion, if theres truth to the story.

I'd take that bet.

LambertIsGod58
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
It's apparent this was the final straw.....it's about time. Henry was released just hours after he was arrested.........AGAIN!!!:dang:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Man, this sucks. I was hoping the bungles would keep all their convicts on the team and fight for last place again.

Maybe they trade a 7th round pick for Pacman Jones??

CantStop85
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
It surprised me a little bit, I expected them to at least wait a little while to get all the details, but I'm thrilled with the move. The Bengals are finally making the right decisions when it comes to character problems.

Looks like wide receiver will be a little higher need in the draft this year, but with having Chad and TJ plus the addition of Ben Utecht this year, they should be fine in that area with someone else at the #3.

meanjoecoop
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
:tap: hmmm... first he claimed "mistaken identity"...now he says "it didnt happen that way". :dang:

4/2/08:

Chris Henry has reportedly told police this is a case of mistaken identity.

4/3/08:

oh well... like it really matters anymore. The only thing left to say is...

Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye! :wave: and good riddance.

CantStop85
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM

It most likely won't matter, he'll be banned for life.

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
It surprised me a little bit, I expected them to at least wait a little while to get all the details, but I'm thrilled with the move. The Bengals are finally making the right decisions when it comes to character problems.

Looks like wide receiver will be a little higher need in the draft this year, but with having Chad and TJ plus the addition of Ben Utecht this year, they should be fine in that area with someone else at the #3.
IF.......chad decides to play for them.....:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd take that bet.
if the cowboys are interested in pacman, why not henry ?:hunch:....of course its all moot ,since he'll be suspended, if not banned.

verks36
04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
it was bound to happen

msafford
04-03-2008, 01:58 PM
if the cowboys are interested in pacman, why not henry ?:hunch:....of course its all moot ,since he'll be suspended, if not banned.

I guess I meant I agree with you. Character obviously means squat to Mr. Jones, although I'm thinking Mr. Henry will have plenty of time away from football to think on everything he's done.

19ward86
04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
they are on their way.

Godfather
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
It's official--the Bungholes have a five-strikes policy.

PisnNapalm
04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Henry has pulled a lottery ticket from his pocket and ripped it up. What a wasted talent.

Tankus_Maximus
04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah, that's really saying something...they give you 5 chances before they decide they've had enough of your act.

Way to be proud of that CS85.

5 strikes and you're out!!!

Looks like the Bengals aren't playing around with character problems anymore.

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
well if goodell decides to punish him which he prob most likely will... he will be suspended 4 this yr.. and the bengals didn't want to be punish as well 4 keeping henry on the team after this 5th arrest

CantStop85
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, that's really saying something...they give you 5 chances before they decide they've had enough of your act.

Way to be proud of that CS85.

5 strikes and you're out!!!

I wasn't just talking about Chris Henry, I was also talking about the Chad situation and them holding their ground. This is also the first legal trouble they've had since AJ Nicholson.

I guess it's left to be seen how many strikes Harrison gets, right? :wink02:

tony hipchest
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM

simple

(your talkin about the rooneys, not the browns)

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I wasn't just talking about Chris Henry, I was also talking about the Chad situation and them holding their ground. This is also the first legal trouble they've had since AJ Nicholson.

I guess it's left to be seen how many strikes Harrison gets, right? :wink02:harrison is NOT a convicted criminal.......:flap:

Steeler in Carolina
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Henry's another thug from WVU.

Preacher
04-03-2008, 10:34 PM

simple

(your talkin about the rooneys, not the browns)

Is that strikes Harrison. . . Or how the total count of Lombardi's the Bungles won't ever get?

lilyoder6
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
that was a good one preacher.. i can see the hardship to tell the differeance as well..

Tankus_Maximus
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Funny how you failed to mention that in your original post :wink02:

CantStop85
04-04-2008, 11:23 AM
harrison is NOT a convicted criminal.......:flap:

Just for the record, arrests since 2005:

1. Vikings - 13
Bryant McKinnie
Darion Scott
Dwight Smith
Ronyell Whitaker
Cedric Griffin
Travis Taylor
Koren Robinson
Moe Williams
Daunte Culpepper
Fred Smoot
Marcus Johnson
Kevin Williams
Kelly Campbell

2. Jags - 12
Brat Hawkins
Stockar McDougle
Justin Durant
Richard Collier
Khalif Barnes
Ahmad Carroll
Gerald Sensebaugh
Charles Sharon
Bobby McCrae
Brian Williams
Reggie Williams
Tommy Hendricks

3. Titans - 10
Lendale White
Adam Jones
Robert Reynolds
Randy Starks
Cortland Finnegan
Albert Haynesworth
Tyrone Calico
Brad Hopkins
Tank Williams
Samari Rolle

4. Broncos - 10
Marcus Thomas
Andre Hall
Daniel Graham
Todd Sauerbrun
Darrell Hackney
Brandon Marshall
David Kircus
DJ Williams
Sam Brandon
Willie Middlebrooks

5. Dolphins - 9
Matt Roth
Chris Chambers
Kelly Campbell
Fred Evans
Joey Porter
Keith Traylor
Damien McInstosh
Randy McMichael
Quinton Williams

6. Bengals - 9
Chris Henry
Quincy Wilson
AJ Nicholson
Jonathan Joseph
Deltha O'Neal
Reggie McNeal
Odell Thurman
Eric Steinbach
Matthias Askew

7. Chargers - 8
Anthony Walters
Ryan Krause
Terrence Kiel
Cletis Gordon
Markus Curry
Steve Foley
Shaun Phillips
Derrick Robinson

8. Colts - 8
Darrell Reid
Dominic Rhodes
DeDe Dorsey
Cato June
Vincent Burns
Nick Harper
Mike Doss
Montae Reagor

9. Steelers - 8
Cedrick Wilson
James Harrison
Najeh Davenport
Richard Siegler
Deshea Townsend
Barrett Brooks
Santomio Holmes
Trai Essex

:coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
For the record, that's Henry +5

9+5 = 14. Puts the Bengals on top for arrests.

CantStop85
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
For the record, that's Henry +5

9+5 = 14. Puts the Bengals on top for arrests.

I'm only counting number of players, not number of total arrests...there are other player with multiples.

And for the record, only 3 out of 9 of the Bengals players are still with the team.

5 out of the 8 Steelers players are still with their team.

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Ok, lets see what's the difference....

Odell Thurman, DUI
Frostee Rucker, Spousal Battery
AJ Nicholson, Burglary and grand theft
Eric Steinbach, Boating under the influence
Matthias Askew, Resisting Arrest
Reggie McNeal, Resisting Arrest
Delthea O'Neal, DUI
Chris Henry + 5, including firearm possession, and a minor.
Quincy Wilson, Disorderly Conduct
Jonathan Joseph, Marijuana possession

Cedrick Wilson, assault, girlfriend
James Harrison, assault, girlfriend
Najeh Davenport, assault, girlfriend
Richard Siegler, pimp? wtf...practice squad guy with no chance at the NFL level.
Deshea Townsend, assault, not involved.
Barrett Brooks, resisting arrest, out running cops on motorcycle
Santomio Holmes, assualt, girlfriend, disorderly conduct, drunk in Miami?
Trai Essex, disordlery conduct, bar fight.

Looks like some of our guys have Anger Management Issues. Hopefully, their councelling is working.

Bengals...Criminals of all types.

CantStop85
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok, lets see what's the difference....

Odell Thurman, DUI
Frostee Rucker, Spousal Battery
AJ Nicholson, Burglary and grand theft
Eric Steinbach, Boating under the influence
Matthias Askew, Resisting Arrest
Reggie McNeal, Resisting Arrest
Delthea O'Neal, DUI
Chris Henry + 5, including firearm possession, and a minor.
Quincy Wilson, Disorderly Conduct
Jonathan Joseph, Marijuana possession

Cedrick Wilson, assault, girlfriend
James Harrison, assault, girlfriend
Najeh Davenport, assault, girlfriend
Richard Siegler, pimp? wtf...practice squad guy with no chance at the NFL level.
Deshea Townsend, assault, not involved.
Barrett Brooks, resisting arrest, out running cops on motorcycle
Santomio Holmes, assualt, girlfriend, disorderly conduct, drunk in Miami?
Trai Essex, disordlery conduct, bar fight.

Looks like some of our guys have Anger Management Issues. Hopefully, their councelling is working.

Bengals...Criminals of all types.

Oh, well as long as they're consistent, I guess it's OK. :coffee:

A thug is a thug is a thug, no matter what team they're on.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM

6. Bengals - 9
Chris Henry
Quincy Wilson
AJ Nicholson
Jonathan Joseph
Deltha O'Neal
Reggie McNeal
Odell Thurman
Eric Steinbach
Matthias Askew

9. Steelers - 8
Cedrick Wilson
James Harrison
Najeh Davenport
Richard Siegler
Deshea Townsend
Barrett Brooks
Santomio Holmes
Trai Essex

:coffee:and just for the record....how many of thjem are CONVICTED criminals ??? anybody can have anybody arrested. i could have YOU arrested , simply by saying you assaulted me. i know because it happend to me ! that innocent till proven guilty thing is a load of crap !!! if that were the case you WOULDN'T be taken to the station and finger printed. fortunatly for me there was witness , and once the moron found out he was going to be exposed as a liar, and i was going to file harrassment charges, he dropped it. but non the less its on my record

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 05:11 PM
The Steelers also don't keep repeat offenders.............................and repeat and repeat and repeat............................................ ...........

lilyoder6
04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
it shouldnt be on ur record

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm only counting number of players, not number of total arrests...there are other player with multiples.

And for the record, only 3 out of 9 of the Bengals players are still with the team.

5 out of the 8 Steelers players are still with their team.

I am speechless that anyone would have the fortitude to try and compare the bengals legal problems with any other team in the league....seriously...speechless.

CantStop85
04-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I am speechless that anyone would have the fortitude to try and compare the bengals legal problems with any other team in the league....seriously...speechless.

Surprising, huh? The numbers don't lie.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Surprising, huh? The numbers don't lie.

No, numbers dont lie...but they can be twisted ....such as when you purposefully distort the truth by not being honest about the sheer AMOUNT of times that your players have had run-ins with the law. You are aware of this...right? (I'm pretty sure it was picked up by some of the media outlets)

SteelCityMan786
04-05-2008, 07:48 PM

6. Bengals - 9
Chris Henry
Quincy Wilson
AJ Nicholson
Jonathan Joseph
Deltha O'Neal
Reggie McNeal
Odell Thurman
Eric Steinbach
Matthias Askew

9. Steelers - 8
Cedrick Wilson
James Harrison
Najeh Davenport
Richard Siegler
Deshea Townsend
Barrett Brooks
Santomio Holmes
Trai Essex

:coffee:

Cedrick Wilson-Not Convicted and if he is, he's not on this team any more
James Harrison-Took Anger Management and had charges dropped
Najeh Davenport-Still yet to see anything from what I have found
Richard Siegler-Released before arrest
Deshea Townsend-No Evidence was against him
Barret Brooks-What have you heard with this one?
Santonio Holmes-Looks like he's growing up a bit
Trai Essex-Anything new here?

What do these players lack that Bengals do when it comes to the law, the word CONVICTED

stillers4me
04-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Cedrick Wilson-Not Convicted and if he is, he's not on this team any more
James Harrison-Took Anger Management and had charges dropped
Najeh Davenport-Still yet to see anything from what I have found
Richard Siegler-Released before arrest
Deshea Townsend-No Evidence was against him
Barret Brooks-What have you heard with this one?
Santonio Holmes-Looks like he's growing up a bit
Trai Essex-Anything new here?

What do these players lack that Bengals do when it comes to the law, the word CONVICTED

And you'll never see a Steeler back in the locker room after 2 year suspensions or violating multiple paroles.

The Steelers don't draft players that already have criminal records.

And Mike Tomlin most definitely has control of his team. You'll never ever hear the rumor that one of his players dared to touch any of the coaches. And if you do, it will be after you hear that player has been cut.

lilyoder6
04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
i remember when barret brooks tried to out run the cops.. i mean did he really think his fat ass could run away from them?

Galax Steeler
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Dino the difference is the bengals suck.

stillers4me
04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Dino the difference is the bengals suck.

And there ya go! :sofunny:

jjpro11
04-06-2008, 11:25 AM
for the record, im glad he's off the team. he always seemed to hurt us more than johnson and housh.