PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tight on salary cap:

19ward86
04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=65E7B9733437BCEF7B7931947DA07358? id=09000d5d8079422d&template=with-video&confirm=true

Maybe they are underestimating the Rooney's knowledge of where we are in the salary cap situation or maybe they are right, who knows. Sean Mahan needs to be cut even if the first OL we draft is in the 4th round. Clint Kreiswalt is getting paid nearly as much as Larry Foote, not saying we should cut him but we should get him to sign an extension or paycut. The Max Starks deal needs to take off. We need to decide on who has an actual chance of playing this year. We all know everyone has a fair shot at a job, but seriously. You know who wont make the cut. When we cut a guy we draft in the 4th round, that means we have a tight squeeze(cameron stephenson).

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
we already cut Clint Kreidwaldt i thought

Rhee Rhee
04-04-2008, 04:02 PM
tell me something i dont know...

nfl.com just a month late...

BettisFan
04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
ahh i was just going to post this, well yea lets listen and free up some space and sign some new guys.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
ahh i was just going to post this, well yea lets listen and free up some space and sign some new guys.

We don't need to sign any more FA's but we need some cap space for our rookies.

tony hipchest
04-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Maybe they are underestimating the Rooney's knowledge of where we are in the salary cap situation or maybe they are right, who knows.

its a pat kirwan article. hes pretty much on top of all 32 teams cap situation. its his job.

Pittsburgh's prospects
The Steelers have a little more wiggle room than the Lions or Raiders, but they have to be looking at a few ways to loosen things up for the draft and the season. They just signed center Justin Hartwig; guard/tackle Sean Mahan could be a target if the draft goes well and the club nets a few linemen. Pittsburgh could designate Mahan as a June 1 cut, which would split up the bonus money charges. His $2.175 million salary would be a credit to the cap and his bonus of $2.4 million would be split between 2008 and 2009. The net result would be a $975,000 savings to the cap. It's just an idea of how to create some space. The team could look closely at Ike Taylor's $4 million salary or Hines Ward's $4.7 million. If they feel strongly about the long-range future of either one, they could convert salary to bonus or they could ask one of them to take a pay cut if the future is cloudy. James Farrior is in the last year of his deal at $3.24 million and he's getting up in years. Do they extend him for a year or two and create space or do they draft a linebacker, slide second-year man Lawrence Timmons into his spot and ask him to take a cut? That's a tough decision, but so are the rest of the options the team may have to deal with in the near future.

maybe time to go to the bank of hines ward.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
no mention of axing the brown bomber? davenport should be considered as expendable.

slashsteel
04-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I think "Dookie" is serviceable and really isn't costing us a lot. I like the idea of extending Farrior for a year or two. Once we deal with this Max Starks situation that is going to free up a nice chunk for us...................

OneForTheToe
04-04-2008, 10:05 PM
It all comes down to Maxie.

lilyoder6
04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
yeah.. i think that soemthing needs to be done with james contract and the money he is making.. either give him an extension or have him take a paycut.. maybe ward will take a paycut as well.. but we will be fine... we signed the FA that we needed..

19ward86
04-04-2008, 10:22 PM
tell me something i dont know...

nfl.com just a month late...

You are just so smart though, so i dont know how to teach you somethin new.:wink02:

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 07:49 AM
It all rides on max straks I'm sure they will free up some space when we get to that bridge.

Willem Gerber
04-08-2008, 05:37 AM
I agree...Release Mahen...get some young blood in there with tons of potential

Elvis
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
yeah.. i think that soemthing needs to be done with james contract and the money he is making.. either give him an extension or have him take a paycut.. maybe ward will take a paycut as well.. but we will be fine... we signed the FA that we needed..
I for one think that Farrior should be retained. He is the silent leader of our defense, and I am sure that he calls all the plays. I think that the Steelers will not sign him back next season, if they do then it means that they are Not satisfied with Timmons.