PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may add players at safety and cornerback

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Steelers may add players at safety and cornerback for a variety of reasons
April 4, 2008
ProFootballWeekly

Whether the Steelers will address the NFL's third-ranked pass defense from a season ago in the draft is one of the most interesting subplots surrounding the club. The team?s play at free safety left something to be desired once Ryan Clark (spleen) left the lineup in October, with both Anthony Smith and Tyrone Carter having struggled. Cornerback may also be a need: RCB Deshea Townsend will be 33 in October. The team?s No. 3 cornerback, Bryant McFadden, will be an unrestricted free agent at season?s end. LCB Ike Taylor is signed for three more seasons, but he has never been a perfect fit in the Steelers? defense, which requires a lot of zone coverages as a safety net against blitzers who don?t get to the quarterback.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2008/wwhi040408.htm

Rhee Rhee
04-05-2008, 05:33 AM
nothing new... i think there could be good CB value in the second...

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 07:42 AM
They are definetly some good corners in this years draft.

SteelerFanInATL
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Even if we draft a good Cover Corner, how will we play them? Would we continue to
line them up ten yards off the ball or bring them closer to the line of scrimage. Feedback would be appreciated.

TackleMeBen
04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
we dont need either.. we all know that we need a tall WR:wink02::flap:

SteelerFanInATL
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
We wouldn't and don't need to draft a cover corner. We need a good zone corner. The guy needs to fit what we do, not be a prototypical shutdown corner. While Ike plays well he isn't the best for our system. A perfect example of this was last year, Jason David was a great corner in Indy's system of cover 2 playing a lot of zones, he signs a big deal with the Saints who play alot of man on man coverage and he is the most burnt corner of the year. So while the big name shut down guy is nice he isn't necessarily our best option.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I see your point. Reminds me of Randel El.

19ward86
04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
23 overall pick is either a corner or guard. i think we can narrow it down to those two major needed positions.

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 02:17 PM
23 overall pick is either a corner or guard. i think we can narrow it down to those two major needed positions.

Bingo you hit it right on the button.

DACEB
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Specifically Brandon Albert. Your right on with a DB, but let's not forget Groves or even Mayo.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Specifically Brandon Albert. Your right on with a DB, but let's not forget Groves or even Mayo.i don't like mayo....i'm a miracle whip person....:flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Even if we draft a good Cover Corner, how will we play them? Would we continue to
line them up ten yards off the ball or bring them closer to the line of scrimage. Feedback would be appreciated.

If you ever lined up 2 yards from a WR's face, you will see that its extremely demanding as he can take you many ways to make a move and get separation. In coacing WR's, we generally want them to close the ground to the defender and try to "step on their feet" before making a move.

As a CB, you want to start with a cushion and backpedal and slowly absorb the cushion until the QB starts to throw or is at "the top of his drop" and then be in a position to make a play on the ball.

The aim is trying not to be 10 yards away from the WR when the throw is made, but when the ball hasnt even been snapped it can be fine because its easier to close ground running forward rather than backpedaling.

The Steelers dont play a lot of press man coverage, like some other teams.....say Oakland. I dont have a problem with the cushion, but I hate seeing our CB's turn their hips too soon and giving the WR an easy release.

Hope that feedback helps a bit.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I dont have a problem with the cushion, but I hate seeing our CB's turn their hips too soon and giving the WR an easy release.

Good post....and your you are right on the mark...as much as some people want to think that Townsend is a "good" CB....he has a very nasty habit of being lured into turning his hips on fakes, and he has never had the speed to recover.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Good post....and your you are right on the mark...as much as some people want to think that Townsend is a "good" CB....he has a very nasty habit of being lured into turning his hips on fakes, and he has never had the speed to recover.

I've never been impressed with Townsend, but even less with Taylor. Not worth the $$$ we gave him. I'd rather see McFadden thrown to the dogs most of the time.

OL is needed first, but I'd like to see a CB or two in this draft.

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Lets take king!

Galax Steeler
04-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I've never been impressed with Townsend, but even less with Taylor. Not worth the $$$ we gave him. I'd rather see McFadden thrown to the dogs most of the time.

OL is needed first, but I'd like to see a CB or two in this draft.

I have to agree Townsend gets burnt to much.

86WARD
04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I want Albert with #1, Sam Baker #2, CB Justin King #3...

86WARD
04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Feelings on Polamalu in the secondary?!? I've started to hear some mixed reviews...

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Feelings on Polamalu in the secondary?!? I've started to hear some mixed reviews...

I think last year was a fluke with the injuries. But one wonders how long he can keep up his former level of play and intensity now. I'd still rather him back there than 31 other safties.

I'd like to see King in rd. 2 if he's there

Galax Steeler
04-06-2008, 09:12 AM

You have a dream list there.:wink02:

steelymcmatt
04-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Both Baker and King will be long gone before we pick in the 2nd. Leaning towards Albert in the 1st (assuming he's available) Dejuan Morgan in the 2nd, and Adarius Bowman in the 3rd.

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
KING SUCKS ... y does everyone like Justin King, he had a terrible year, had some OK #'s at the combine .... half his picks were off tipped balls that went into the air and he was luckily there to catch them. If we take justin king in one of the first two rounds I will puke.

Bowman got busted smoking the other day

jjpro11
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
KING SUCKS ... y does everyone like Justin King, he had a terrible year, had some OK #'s at the combine .... half his picks were off tipped balls that went into the air and he was luckily there to catch them. If we take justin king in one of the first two rounds I will puke.

im not saying we should take him or anything.. but after watching every game he's played in, i thought he was a very good player for penn state. a legitimate shut down corner in college.

nicesteel4life
04-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Dont like KING either, but it seems that every year we scream for local talant. Just because it's who we see more often.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I just think the local talent makes a good fit here more than anywhere else. I never was high on King, but I just think he could develop here better than anywhere else.

I am a bit biased toward the Steelers however.

lilyoder6
04-06-2008, 01:30 PM
king is prob one of the better corners in the draft.. yes he had a bad yr.. many ppl have a off yr.. his soph. yr he was a phenom... he shows he can be a legit shut down corner and if albert is gone in the 1st we should take him

steelymcmatt
04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
king is prob one of the better corners in the draft.. yes he had a bad yr.. many ppl have a off yr.. his soph. yr he was a phenom... he shows he can be a legit shut down corner and if albert is gone in the 1st we should take him

I think if Albert is gone it's going to be Cherilus.

steelymcmatt
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM

I hadn't heard anything about that.....

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
King is probably the fourth or fifth best corner in the draft ... with the first or second best measureables ... he blew up the combine, did he not? got burned this year at PSU.

Jenkins, talib, flowers, cason, DRC and Leodis are all better. way better.

Here's what is going to happen people. I already know.

Atlanta is going to trade up w/ us to the #23(760) spot, to grab Brian Brohm, after taking Run DMC or Dorsey w/ their #3 pick.

They will trade pick #37 (530) and #68 (250)

Then this will be our draft:
2(37)- Sam Baker OT
2(53)- Brandon Flowers CB
3(68)- Ray Rice
3(88)- Kendall Langford

We can stop speculating now. This is what is going to happen

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I hadn't heard anything about that.....

here it is on bowman

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4660

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
King is probably the fourth or fifth best corner in the draft ... with the first or second best measureables ... he blew up the combine, did he not? got burned this year at PSU.

Jenkins, talib, flowers, cason, DRC and Leodis are all better. way better.

Here's what is going to happen people. I already know.

Atlanta is going to trade up w/ us to the #23(760) spot, to grab Brian Brohm, after taking Run DMC or Dorsey w/ their #3 pick.

They will trade pick #37 (530) and #68 (250)

Then this will be our draft:
2(37)- Sam Baker OT
2(53)- Brandon Flowers CB
3(68)- Ray Rice
3(88)- Kendall Langford

We can stop speculating now. This is what is going to happen

THANK GOD ALL THE SPECULATION IS OVER!!! LOL

I really think you have something with the trade down....

steelymcmatt
04-06-2008, 07:01 PM
here it is on bowman

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4660

I WASN'T DOUBTING YOU, JUST HADN'T HEARD ABOUT IT. THANKS FOR THE LINK THOUGH!
TALK ABOUT STUPID......DON'T THESE KIDS KNOW THEY'RE MESSING UP MY DRAFT BOARD, NOT TO MENTION THIER FUTURE!

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Talk about stupid to do this right before the draft who knows where he will land now.

Willem Gerber
04-08-2008, 05:18 AM
If only it was possible to get Rogers-Cromartie in the draft...but he will unfortunately be long gone before the second round