PDA

View Full Version : List of visitors reveals Steelers' intent

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 10:51 AM
List of visitors reveals Steelers' intent
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Apr 4, 2008

Here we sit three weeks away from the biggest weekend of the offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers and we really don?t know anything more about the team?s plans than we did a month ago.

Despite the signing of center Justin Hartwig, the Steelers still have a need for players on their offensive line. He?s not a capable replacement for All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, who signed with the Jets, but he could push Sean Mahan to the bench.
And after flirting with signing Booger McFarland to improve their defensive line depth, the Steelers instead re-signed Nick Eason, a player who failed when given a chance to replace injured Aaron Smith in 2007. Add to that the re-signing of Travis Kirschke, and the defensive line right now has the exact same group of performers that it did last season.

So other than adding Hartwig, the Steelers have done nothing to improve their play up front ? something head coach Mike Tomlin said was a necessity after last season?s collapse down the stretch.

Where does that leave the team?

Virginia guard Branden Albert ? the player most linked to the Steelers now on draft boards ? is said to be a player on the rise as teams are beginning to look at the athletic junior as a possible left tackle prospect.

If Albert is gone, the Steelers won?t panic. They?ll still make a pick or trade down ? with only six picks, a trade up is very unlikely.

But looking at the current draft boards, their options will be limited. The only other first-round lineman the team has met with is tackle Gosder Cherlius.

The release of No. 4 wideout Cedrick Wilson last month after assault charges were filed against him leaves an opening at that position, though some in the organization think Dallas Baker, a seventh-round pick last year, may be ready to jump into that spot.

Still, Hines Ward isn?t getting any younger and adding a talented receiver such as Michigan State?s Devin Thomas would make sense. But the Steelers haven?t hosted any high-profile wide receiver prospects and it appears they won?t make that position a priority.

The Steelers have hosted Kansas State cornerback Aqib Talib, a first-round talent who should be available at pick No. 23. And given Deshea Townsend?s advancing age, he would be a sensible fallback option as well should Albert be gone.

Tracy Porter, another cornerback with a low first, high second-round grade, will also visit the team next week, showing that may be what the team is thinking.

The only other players who have visited thus far who have possible first-round grades are linebacker prospects Quentin Groves and Cliff Avril, though some consider defensive tackle Dre Moore ? another visitor ? a late first-rounder.

They would improve the depth in the front seven and would also make sense, particularly given the age concerns the team has to have in that group.

We?re closing in on the pick, just as, I?m sure, the Steelers are as well
http://pit.scout.com/2/743551.html

TackleMeBen
04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
WHAT???? no tall recievers... uh oh this isnt going to make our qb very happy..lol. :wink02: (yes i am being scarastic)

19ward86
04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Dallas Baker is the tall reciever for next season. Dont expect the steelers to draft a 6'5" reciever, In my eyes there is only 1 good enough to be drafted in the first and that is Limas Sweed, 2nd most athletic and 2nd tallest(desean jackson, james hardy). I want to see Antonio Rogers Cromartie or Branden Albert with us next year.

slashsteel
04-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Actually I expect the Steelers to draft who ever is of value. With the exception of TE (at all) and QB early. If a tall WR is sitting there and is the best value in any round. That should be the pick.

Rhee Rhee
04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Dallas Baker is the tall reciever for next season.

i completely agree with this statemenet however i have my doubts as to whether dallas will be a factor at all...

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I am leaning toward a corner I think that will be our no.1 pick if albert is gone.

DACEB
04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
If Albert is there, I believe he's the pick. If not I'll also be very happy, because then it's DEFENSE!

TackleMeBen
04-05-2008, 02:17 PM
we really need to get some protection for that 102 million dollar investment they just made.:wink02:

DACEB
04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
i completely agree with this statemenet however i have my doubts as to whether dallas will be a factor at all...

How much of an impact does our #4WR have anyway?

Baker or whoever is at #4WR will be a factor if they make the plays when called upon, on that limited bases.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 02:35 PM
How much of an impact does our #4WR have anyway?

Baker or whoever is at #4WR will be a factor if they make the plays when called upon, on that limited bases.
that depends on the offense your running.

lilyoder6
04-05-2008, 02:38 PM
dallas will be a tall threat in the redzone

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 06:03 PM

I agree that he might be a threat in the redzone but what about the other 80 yards of field.

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I agree that he might be a threat in the redzone but what about the other 80 yards of field.

What if there are any injuries a the WR position this year? We'll be thankful to have a #4 reciever then.

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Cromartie is a straight up beast! He takes after his relative, but there is no way he lasts long enough so we can get him,

The Duke
04-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Cromartie is a straight up beast! He takes after his relative, but there is no way he lasts long enough so we can get him,

am I the only one that thinks Cromartie's a little overated? before his cousin(?) became the nfl's highlight player I had never heard of dominique before, and all of the sudden he's climbing up on nearly every draft board

I don't follow college football too much so I could be wrong. but seems to me everyone wants someone like Antonio Cromartie on their team and think dominique might be that player. they could be very dissapointed if he doesn't become the ball hawker that antonio is

just my :twocents:

MasterOfPuppets
04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
am I the only one that thinks Cromartie's a little overated? before his cousin(?) became the nfl's highlight player I had never heard of dominique before, and all of the sudden he's climbing up on nearly every draft board

I don't follow college football too much so I could be wrong. but seems to me everyone wants someone like Antonio Cromartie on their team and think dominique might be that player. they could be very dissapointed if he doesn't become the ball hawker that antonio is

just my :twocents:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 184.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Combine 40 Time: 4.28.
Benchx225: 17. Vertical 38.5.
Projected Round: Top 10 Pick.
Holy crap. Forget being a lock first-round pick. I'd be shocked if Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie makes it past the Saints at No. 10. Following up on an incredible Senior Bowl, DRC ran a 4.28, jumped a 38.5-inch vertical and leaped a broad of 10'11". He also looked extremely fluid in the drills, earning the praise of Deion Sanders.

Wow, how was this guy not recruited by any BCS schools? Rodgers-Cromartie covers well, makes big plays and tackles extremely well. He's tall and runs a 4.3. Excluding Sedrick Ellis, Rodgers-Cromartie made the most money at the Senior Bowl, moving himself into the Top 15.

A tall corner who runs a 4.3 is pretty rare. Getting one that picks off six passes in a season is like finding the Loch Ness Monster.

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 184.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Combine 40 Time: 4.28.
Benchx225: 17. Vertical 38.5.
Projected Round: Top 10 Pick.
Holy crap. Forget being a lock first-round pick. I'd be shocked if Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie makes it past the Saints at No. 10. Following up on an incredible Senior Bowl, DRC ran a 4.28, jumped a 38.5-inch vertical and leaped a broad of 10'11". He also looked extremely fluid in the drills, earning the praise of Deion Sanders.

Wow, how was this guy not recruited by any BCS schools? Rodgers-Cromartie covers well, makes big plays and tackles extremely well. He's tall and runs a 4.3. Excluding Sedrick Ellis, Rodgers-Cromartie made the most money at the Senior Bowl, moving himself into the Top 15.

A tall corner who runs a 4.3 is pretty rare. Getting one that picks off six passes in a season is like finding the Loch Ness Monster.

Doesnt seem so overrated to me... He is a straight up beast!

Galax Steeler
04-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Doesnt seem so overrated to me... He is a straight up beast!

I've got to agree he won't be no where near us when we pick.

lilyoder6
04-06-2008, 01:43 PM
well when do we really go to a 4 wide set??? and when we do got to a 4 wide set.. we use heath as a option since he is a good te..we still have nate at number 3 maybe.. and reid is like the small fast guy who does slants across the middle and screens

lilyoder6
04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
sry bout the double post... :) and i forog tto add speath who is a very talented te as well.. i think we will be alright 4 the other 80 yrds and dallas can still make plays on fades and comebacks

The_WARDen
04-07-2008, 04:21 PM

how do you know?

lilyoder6
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
dallas is 6'3 right there is a mis-match with a smaller corner and i bet he can jump pretty high.. thats y i think he will be a good redsoze threat

The Duke
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
dallas is 6'3 right there is a mis-match with a smaller corner and i bet he can jump pretty high.. thats y i think he will be a good redsoze threat

he could, definitely, but you need more than just height, you need good hands. good thing he was the touchdown maker in college, but he has to show some of that ability now before he's considered a threat