PDA

View Full Version : Football Strategy Books?

millwalldavey
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I think I know a lot about the history of football, but I really want to study more about the actual game itself. Does anyone know of/can reccommend any good books to read?

On Amazon I found books by the AFCA about Offense and Defense strategy. I'd like to learn about offense and defense i am unfamiliar with, learn the nuances and details of some I already kinda know. Not to mention i'd like to learn about minutia of strategy, team building, etc.

I'd love a good book to help me bone up on R Rods spread as well

Any ideas?

19ward86
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
There are books at public libraries that explain the basics which is good for a start. There are rules and parts of the game i had never heard of until i read some.

millwalldavey
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
There are books at public libraries that explain the basics which is good for a start. There are rules and parts of the game i had never heard of until i read some.

Yeah... guess I could check there... It would be nice to 'dot the I's and cross the T's" when it comes to the stuff I have a handle on and that could be a good way. I love the little details about stuff though... I'd love to learn more about the Spread, and defensively stuff like Cover 2 and BYU's 3-5-3 defense.

NJarhead
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I think I know a lot about the history of football, but I really want to study more about the actual game itself. Does anyone know of/can reccommend any good books to read?

On Amazon I found books by the AFCA about Offense and Defense strategy. I'd like to learn about offense and defense i am unfamiliar with, learn the nuances and details of some I already kinda know. Not to mention i'd like to learn about minutia of strategy, team building, etc.

I'd love a good book to help me bone up on R Rods spread as well

Any ideas?

There are a ton of books in the library as 19ward86 stated. Since you mentioned it though, I hope Dick Lebeau writes a book on defense. I would love to get into his head, learn to see what he sees, etc.

millwalldavey
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
There are a ton of books in the library as 19ward86 stated. Since you mentioned it though, I hope Dick Lebeau writes a book on defense. I would love to get into his head, learn to see what he sees, etc.

OMG yes! Or Sandusky. I still remember my father telling me that when he retired you'd see who that team really belonged to!

NJarhead
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
LOL. Just had a thought:

Imagine the quotes you might find in "Football for Dummies" -

"When the player crosses the goal line with the football, that's a touchdown."

- John Madden.

The Duke
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
LOL. Just had a thought:

- John Madden.

if you're thinking john madden quotes then there would be tons of favre in that book :chuckle:

NJarhead
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
if you're thinking john madden quotes then there would be tons of favre in that book :chuckle:

Oh yeah; Favre, Doak Walker, Fred Biletnikoff and the Turducken.

The Duke
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM

:yummy: turducken

NJarhead
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM

:yummy: turducken

:rofl:

Never had one myself....at least not all at once.

BettisFan
04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Watch alot of old footage, on ESPN Classic

steelpinstripe72
04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I have heard that Watching Football, by Daryl Johnston, is excellent. I plan on reading it sometime soon...it's been sitting on my shelf for awhile.

NJarhead
04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I have heard that Watching Football, by Daryl Johnston, is excellent. I plan on reading it sometime soon...it's been sitting on my shelf for awhile.

Thanks for the info. I like Moose. I might have to read that too.

Rhee Rhee
04-09-2008, 03:47 AM
john madden also wrote a book explainging the finer details of offense and defense i think.. not too sure

SteelersMongol
04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
LOL. Just had a thought:

- John Madden.

LMAO. :toofunny: I think I have that book.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
" Great football, is about great football, and if your playing great football, that's what makes great football great, and if you weren't playing great football, then it would just be mediocre football, and these guys today, well, there playing great football."
John Madden

millwalldavey
04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Ahhhhh... John Madden. The Bard has nothing on him.

NJarhead
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
john madden also wrote a book explainging the finer details of offense and defense i think.. not too sure

John Madden? Finer details? :rofl:

You're such a Rhee Rhee. :wink02: