PDA

View Full Version : Groves, Steelers strike chord

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Groves, Steelers strike chord
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 7, 2008

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.
As much as the Steelers seem to like Groves, a two-time all-Southeastern Conference selection, Groves has even deeper feelings for the Steelers.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"I'm kind of an old-school guy. Mean Joe Greene, he was probably one of the best I've ever seen doing what he does. I didn't grow up watching them but back over time, you watched guys like Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann -- how did he make that catch, how did he make that throw? I've got a chance to be a part of that if Pittsburgh drafts me. It's just those guys, and the things they did for that organization.''

The Steelers' feeling about Groves is apparently mutual. And the Steelers have plenty of company.
Groves is also scheduled to visit Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, New Orleans, New England, the Giants and Jets.

Give or take Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, a likely top-10 selection, Groves is considered the best defensive end/outside linebacker in the April 26-27 draft.

In case you missed coach Mike Tomlin's memo, the Steelers, who have the No. 23 overall pick, could use another pass rusher off the edge.

Groves led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007. A classic speed rusher, he's Auburn's career sack leader with 26.

"A lot of the great players in the NFL are from the SEC. It speaks to the level of competition I faced. The competition is unbelievable,'' Groves said. "Every team's looking for that great pass rusher since the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. I'm athletic enough to play linebacker, but I'm also strong and physical enough to play defensive end. I feel like I can take my ability to the next level.''

The Steelers thought enough about Groves' potential to send Tomlin and other staff members to observe Auburn's Pro Day on March 10.

Recovering from a severe case of the flu that resulted in him losing 10 pounds, Groves received motivation from an unlikely source.

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

That's when Groves came to realize how the Steelers -- his Steelers -- really felt about him.

"That did two things for me,'' he said. "It let me know that, hey, they're really interested in me as a player. And it gave me motivation to do even better.''

Groves plays with a non-stop motor, but he's so much more. He's an energy guy with talent who dominated in the best conference in college football. The Steelers apparently like what they saw on tape. Today they hope to learn more about the player under the helmet.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_560987.html

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 06:34 AM
You talk about a pass rush groves on one end and woodley on the other wow.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2008, 06:45 AM
If the top Offensive Lineman are gone this would interest me. Scout.com lists him at a 4.43 40! I doubt that is correct. Also, isn't he light for a DE in a 3-4?

DACEB
04-07-2008, 07:01 AM

This just can't be repeated enough!!

1.23 Quentin Groves

DACEB
04-07-2008, 07:03 AM
If the top Offensive Lineman are gone this would interest me. Scout.com lists him at a 4.43 40! I doubt that is correct. Also, isn't he light for a DE in a 3-4?

3-4 OLB, but I also see him and Woodley creating havoc lined up at DE in a 4 man D-line on obvious passing downs.

HometownGal
04-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Groves and the Steelers appear to be a perfect fit for each other. The kid has talent, appears to have a good work ethic and would be honored to play for the Steelers. Sounds like a winner to me. :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
04-07-2008, 07:49 AM
:iagree: of course i have always thought highly of woodley b/c he played at U of M :wink02:

Steelers Since '75
04-07-2008, 09:24 AM
In my first mock draft I had hoped the Steelers would trade down and get some extra picks later in the draft and would take Groves with the first pick.

Michael Keller
04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
The Steelers must give big time points to a prospect that wants to wear the Black and Gold. This kid sounds like he is a player. I want to hear Timmons say he loves being a Steeler. PLEASE DRAFT ATTITUDE

lilyoder6
04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
that would be a nice addition to a pass rusher w/ groves.. all th epossibilities.. but i guess we have to wait and see of he is there or not.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
The Steelers must give big time points to a prospect that wants to wear the Black and Gold. This kid sounds like he is a player. I want to hear Timmons say he loves being a Steeler. PLEASE DRAFT ATTITUDE

I think timmons will be ok he was injured alot last year hopefuly he can learn the system and be a factor this year.

TackleMeBen
04-07-2008, 09:53 AM
timmons, woodley and groves.. that is a good line there

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I just dont see it. You spend your #1 and #2 picks on OLB last year and have Harrison post a Pro Bowl year and lead the team in sacks......and you are gonna spend another 1st round pick on a OLB????

Especially when you saw your d line suck when Aaron smith got injured. I see O linemen and D linemen being a priority.

Dino 6 Rings
04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
agreed, first pick needs to address the line, either O or D but it must be a lineman.

moedap
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I just dont see it. You spend your #1 and #2 picks on OLB last year and have Harrison post a Pro Bowl year and lead the team in sacks......and you are gonna spend another 1st round pick on a OLB????

Especially when you saw your d line suck when Aaron smith got injured. I see O linemen and D linemen being a priority.

I wouldnt be disappointed in this pick if there are no OL available at 23(I.e. Albert). Assuming Tomlin goes to some hybrid defense this pick does make sense. Especially considering Timmons at MLB. Harrison was a beast but he tired at the end of the season against better opposition. Outside of Timmons and Woodley the LB core is getting old.

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
i don't know why the browns are wasting his time with a visit.........they don't have a pick till the 4th RD !!!! :toofunny:

millwalldavey
04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
This sounds more like a luxury pick to me. He would be nice, but they gotta go OL first.

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
This sounds more like a luxury pick to me. He would be nice, but they gotta go OL first.
i'd say thier taken a look just in case it comes down to a BPA pick. there may be no OL or DL worthy of the 23 pick.

stlrtruck
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Quiver and Quake (v 2.0)

If anyone remember's the mid 90's that would be Greene and Lloyd!!!

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Groves is a little overrrated after having great workouts.

I prefer guys who proove themselves on the field not in a workout. A perfect example of that is Woodley

I wouldn't be that upset if we took Groves but people here are talking like he is the next Greg Lloyd. Groves's senior season was solid but not spectacular. He has trouble shedding blocks which is a huge killer in our 3-4

DACEB
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
i'd say thier taken a look just in case it comes down to a BPA pick. there may be no OL or DL worthy of the 23 pick.

Bingo, that's exactly the issue.

If Albert is there, most likely he's the pick. Period

I'll take Groves over Cherilus, Balmer, Cambell, Baker and Merling.
Now a DB might be a different story. The value and need there might outweigh the Groves pick.

DACEB
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM

I prefer guys who proove themselves on the field not in a workout. A perfect example of that is Woodley

I wouldn't be that upset if we took Groves but people here are talking like he is the next Greg Lloyd. Groves's senior season was solid but not spectacular. He has trouble shedding blocks which is a huge killer in our 3-4

Groves has been projected as a 1st round prospect since the start of the draft process, worst case early 2nd. Who says he won't be as good as Lloyd, maybe he'll be better, maybe not, you surely can't predict that.

Is he not the top rated 3-4OLB in your view? If not who is?

This guy is a student of the game, like Woodley. He wants nothing more than to play for this team. Imagine the intensity he would bring every Sunday understanding what those legends brought before him.

Edman
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I think the Steelers are thinking about moving Timmons inside when James Farrior eventually leaves.

Or, Groves could be depth and OLB/DE tweener.

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I think the Steelers are thinking about moving Timmons inside when James Farrior eventually leaves.

They already are moving Timmons inside, NOW

He might start over Foote

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Groves has been projected as a 1st round prospect since the start of the draft process, worst case early 2nd.

He wasn't projected in the 1st round by the vast majority untill recently (he's still not projected as a lock for the 1st rd)

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Is he not the top rated 3-4OLB in your view? If not who is?

Gholston (in everyones view)

We have bigger needs like OT, DL, etc but I wouldn't be upset if we took Groves if we thought he was the BPA. As long as we addressed our needs with the following picks

fyi, Cliff Avril is another good OLB prospect that we could get in the 2nd, maybe 3rd

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
They already are moving Timmons inside, NOW

He might start over Foote

I really think timmons will shine this year.

DACEB
04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Gholston (in everyones view)

We have bigger needs like OT, DL, etc but I wouldn't be upset if we took Groves if we thought he was the BPA. As long as we addressed our needs with the following picks

fyi, Cliff Avril is another good OLB prospect that we could get in the 2nd, maybe 3rd

Groves is much more instinctive than Gholston, and Gholston is the one with the overrated label right now. I would feel much more comfortable taking Groves at 1.23 than Gholston in the top 10 or 15 even.

Avril will not be available in the 3rd, definetly not when we pick in the 3rd.

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Groves is much more instinctive than Gholston, and Gholston is the one with the overrated label right now. I would feel much more comfortable taking Groves at 1.23 than Gholston in the top 10 or 15 even.

Gholston is a top 10 LOCK . He is far more of a top 10 lock than Groves is a 1st round lock. Because he is better

You asked who was better and I supplied an accurate answer

aclark99
04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Groves would be an excellent pick at 23. The way it looks is Albert will not be there. With Harrison having trouble off the field, the steelers are definitely looking at his replacement. Harrison is 30 years old which as we all know the steelers really don't negotiate contracts with players over 30. Groves at 23 and Justin King in the 2nd. OL or WR in the 3rd. Wild card pick is Dennis Dixon in the 4th or 5th - next slash.

faneca05
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Groves would be an excellent pick at 23. The way it looks is Albert will not be there. With Harrison having trouble off the field, the steelers are definitely looking at his replacement. Harrison is 30 years old which as we all know the steelers really don't negotiate contracts with players over 30. Groves at 23 and Justin King in the 2nd. OL or WR in the 3rd. Wild card pick is Dennis Dixon in the 4th or 5th - next slash.

Ya it definitely looks like like albert wont be there. A lot of teams are looking at him as a left tackle prospect. There have also been mock drafts with him going as high as 7 to the patriots. And while I think taking justin king in the second would be good pick, i dont see the steelers taking a player that high who has character issues.

lilyoder6
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
well harisson is alrdy like 29/30 .. it wouldn't hurt to get groves to groom him and have a nice pair of fresh legs come off the bench and rush the qb.. but it all depends on where albert is ..

The_WARDen
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
O-line O-line O-line...I will be disappointed with anything else.

The LBs are fine for now. The O-Line blows!
:dang::dang::dang:

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2008, 03:21 PM

groves is a 3 yr starter and has 26 sacks, which happens to be an auburn record. unlike our 15th pick last last year, he's not just a one year college wonder.

his workout backups what he has done on the field !!!

I wouldn't be that upset if we took Groves but people here are talking like he is the next Greg Lloyd. Groves's senior season was solid but not spectacular.

are you aware he dislocated 3 toes and missed a few games ??? could have something to do with the dropoff in sacks.....kinda hard to make plays from tjhe bench... .:wink02:

He has trouble shedding blocks which is a huge killer in our 3-4

where is this info from??? i've read this about derrick harvey, not groves....you got a link?

if the steelers can burn a 15th pick on a guy with one year of college ball under his belt, despite the overwhelming number of one hit wonders that bust in the nfl, i certainly have no problem with groves at # 23.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-07-2008, 03:45 PM
The Steelers' feeling about Groves is apparently mutual. And the Steelers have plenty of company.
Groves is also scheduled to visit Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, New Orleans, New England, the Giants and Jets.

Looks like the Browns are going to try and trade up into the late first early second second. Derek Anderson possibly??

Elvis
04-07-2008, 03:55 PM

As usual WarDen... we are on the same page with this subject as well. I just think that if the Steelers select Groves here at 23 it means that the Steelers are very dissapointed in what they have seen with Timmons last years number 1 pick, unless he is definitely moving inside. I just havent seen anything positive from Timmons yet to make me see what the Steelers saw in him to select him so high last year. But we must be patient this young man could be the man behind Farrior or Foote.

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Looks like the Browns are going to try and trade up into the late first early second second. Derek Anderson possibly??

Did you hear the story behind the Derek Anderson signing? Phil Savage had to sign him because Dallas was going to scoop him up and trade him to Miami.

I could see the Browns trading Anderson to Miami, Atlanta, KC for their early 2nd rd pick

Preacher
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing... until I reaccessed what has happened since the last game last year.

1. We have found someone to play RT -- Starks. the kid is a monster over there. He played VERY well. Kemo also played pretty dang good over there.

2. Mahan is being moved to his NATURAL position. With the strength that he showed last year in pre-season, he may do very well there.

3. Center-- We have a new one. Immediate upgrade.

4. A second round DP may be all we need. After all, if we can move smith to the right side, which I believe is HIS natural position, that means that we only have 1 position that is the same as last year, and that is where we pick up a draft pick make 'em fight for it.

______________________-

So I really would be happy with Groves as a first round pick, solidify our LB for YEARS to come, a second round LB pick. A third round WR/OL pick, and then again, small school big upside longshots for the 4-7 picks.

lilyoder6
04-07-2008, 04:27 PM
if the browns were going to trade derek anderson then y sign him in the 1st place??? he was a restricted FA and they would of gotten a 1st and a 3rd pick if someone signed him..

Texasteel
04-07-2008, 06:02 PM
As usual WarDen... we are on the same page with this subject as well. I just think that if the Steelers select Groves here at 23 it means that the Steelers are very dissapointed in what they have seen with Timmons last years number 1 pick, unless he is definitely moving inside. I just havent seen anything positive from Timmons yet to make me see what the Steelers saw in him to select him so high last year. But we must be patient this young man could be the man behind Farrior or Foote.

I have be one that has been screaming for an O-lineman, but I would not want them to reach for one just for the sake of taking an O-lineman. If Albert is gone, Groves would not only be the BAP, but the safest pick as well.
As far as Timmons is consered, I don't know what position they drafted him for, but I has become clear to me that he will end up inside and not outside.
I would prefer a draft of Albert / Avril, but am looking for a draft of Groves / Rachal, maybe Cherilus if he slides that far.

By the way, I ran into Earnhardt Jr, in the pits this weekend. He really didn't have a very good car for Texas.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
My top three choices would be

1. Chris Williams
2. Brandon Albert
3. Quentin Groves

You can never have enough pass rushers....Groves would be a nice addition....Harrison would start until Groves is ready...Plus with Farrior getting older and this could be he his last year with the team......Harrison could slide inside to replace Farrior....Harrison could play ILB with no problem in my opinion....Then Groves and Woodley at OLB would be a nice duo....Plus if Timmons proves he can play ILB and replaces Foote....The Steelers LB core could be at the level we're all accustomed to as Steelers fans...The current group is solid but not at the levels we're use to seeing....Harrison and Farrior played at high levels last year...But Foote and Haggans were solid but solid doesn't cut it for a 3-4....The 3-4 needs LBs that constantly make plays....

I still would like Williams or Albert over Groves.....But if those two are gone I'm all for Groves....Then if Groves is gone...Go for Talib or Malcolm Kelly....

Rhee Rhee
04-07-2008, 06:53 PM

o my i LOVE the sound of that..

Rhee Rhee
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
He wasn't projected in the 1st round by the vast majority untill recently (he's still not projected as a lock for the 1st rd)

not entirely correct... beggining of this college season he was a lock for the first round and depending if the rumors were true if he ran a 4.4 40 he could've been a top 10 and been pull a gholston like jump up the draftboards...

but because he broke all those toes and had a subpar senior campaign he's dropping if anything...

VTsteel
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
agreed, first pick needs to address the line, either O or D but it must be a lineman.

Hopefully both of the first two picks address the lines

lilyoder6
04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
that must suck to brake all of ur toes...

Texasteel
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Its a bad idea to say that the 1st pick must be this or must be that because we really don't know who is going to be there at 23.
The 23rd pick should be a player we can use and is worth the 1st round pick. I do not what them to make a huge reach to take a lineman offensive or defensive.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Or, Groves could be depth and OLB/DE tweener.

At 250lbs, Groves cant play DE in a 3-4, so strictly a OLB, but again considering Woodley and Harrison are the starters and its a luxury pick and most likely a smokescreen or just due diligence.

An OT and a 3-4 DE is desperately needed at this point. Hoke, Eason, Kirschke is a weak group of backups, where at least Timmons and Fox can play OLB if needed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2008, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Black@Gold Forever32;384185]My top three choices would be

1. Chris Williams
2. Brandon Albert
3. Quentin Groves

QUOTE]

I like Williams as a pass blocker and a smart guy that will play O line well, but he doesnt seem to be as aggressive or powerful of a run blocker to fit the Steelers type of game. He may develop into a more aggressive run blocker, but right now I like Albert, Otah or even Cherilus as being big nasty guys on the line.

Here is some analysis from NFL.com

Not soft, but lacks ideal overall muscle tone (has a thick frame that shows marginal definition) and will need to add more bulk to his frame for a potential move to guard at the pro level...Lacks the agility to get in front blocking at the second level and needs to become more aggressive, as he sometimes takes passive swipes rather than forcefully engaging and driving into the opponent....Compares To: D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON-New York Jets...Like Ferguson, Williams relies on finesse moves and his long reach over power. Both need to improve their overall strength and add bulk to handle the demanding task of playing left tackle. Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Black@Gold Forever32;384185]My top three choices would be

1. Chris Williams
2. Brandon Albert
3. Quentin Groves

QUOTE]

I like Williams as a pass blocker and a smart guy that will play O line well, but he doesnt seem to be as aggressive or powerful of a run blocker to fit the Steelers type of game. He may develop into a more aggressive run blocker, but right now I like Albert, Otah or even Cherilus as being big nasty guys on the line.

Here is some analysis from NFL.com

Not soft, but lacks ideal overall muscle tone (has a thick frame that shows marginal definition) and will need to add more bulk to his frame for a potential move to guard at the pro level...Lacks the agility to get in front blocking at the second level and needs to become more aggressive, as he sometimes takes passive swipes rather than forcefully engaging and driving into the opponent....Compares To: D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON-New York Jets...Like Ferguson, Williams relies on finesse moves and his long reach over power. Both need to improve their overall strength and add bulk to handle the demanding task of playing left tackle. Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers.

Williams got into a scuffle at the Senior Bowl....So he can be nasty....Thing is you can't teach somebody the athleticism its takes to be an elite pass protector but you can teach somebody to be a better run blocker....Williams may never be a dominating run blocker but I think he could develop into a quality one which with his pass protecting skills is good enough for me....The Steelers will always be about running the football and I know this...But they're passing more and the Rooney's do have a high investment in Big Ben....Getting him quality pass protectors is a must.....I think both Williams and Albert are that....Albert could switch to LT down the road.....

As for Cherlius...He isn't a elite pass protector.....He struggled when moving to LT at Boston College...He is a RT in the NFL and is just one dimensional....He would fit Bill Cowhers power running scheme to the tee....But like I said with this offense pass more and the huge investment in Big Ben....This team needs elite pass protectors....

But what do I know I just some A-hole behind a computer screen and my opinion doesn't matter and I should just trust the Steelers brass...lol I didn't aim this comment at you so don't take it the wrong way....

faneca05
04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
I think Williams would be a better pick because we don't need immediate help running the ball, but we do need help in pass protection, plus he can always become a better run blocker.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-08-2008, 04:57 AM

Projected OLB in a 3-4...ran a 4.57 at the combine...

DACEB
04-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Projected OLB in a 3-4...ran a 4.57 at the combine...

Which was 2nd best among DE's and 4th best among LB's. Gholston ran a 4.67

DACEB
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM

And assuming Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, and Alberts are gone, your pick is?

So the LB's are fine for now, what's that young studs name that backs up Harisson and Woodley? Oh yea, we don't have a young stud waiting in the wings. We don't even have guys that are capable of performing on ST's, yea we're fine.

lilyoder6
04-08-2008, 11:00 AM
and we have to old lber's in the middle... we do need some young players in those pos... groves wouldn't hurt.. he'll make the pass rush better..

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Maybe they are looking in case Groves slips in the 2nd round. He graduated in 2006 and was projected as a mid round guy and came back for one more season in 2007 to try and improve his draft stock. His production in 2007 didnt really scream "i'm a first round pick" because of his toe injury, but his measureables are great.

Kind of scares me. Could be Demarcus Ware, could be Kendrell Bell, could be Chaun Thompson.

aclark99
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I think drafting Groves would be a good thing. Remember, a very good linebacker by the name of Kevin Greene came from Auburn. This guy reminds me a lot of him except faster. He would be a steal at 23. OL can be addressed in round 2 or 3.

millwalldavey
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Drafting Groves would be a great thing indeed. I just think that 1st rd pick is going to be better spent on the OL.

Then again, what if one of those OL we want is gone?

Ahhh the intrigue!

faneca05
04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I think our 1st should be on the o-line. But if it comes down to Gosder Cherlius or Quinten Groves, I'd take Groves in a heartbeat.

Galax Steeler
04-10-2008, 05:05 AM
I think our 1st should be on the o-line. But if it comes down to Gosder Cherlius or Quinten Groves, I'd take Groves in a heartbeat.

Yea I would rather have groves over gosder any day.

Rhee Rhee
04-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Yea I would rather have groves over gosder any day.

how about groves or talib?

i personally would take groves...

Steeldude
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
if the steelers get groves then i say put harrison in place of foote. then either slide timmons or foote into farrior's spot when he retires/leaves.

DACEB
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
That's the beauty of this pick. He would really solidify the LBing core for years to come. I think our D would become fearsome again!

lilyoder6
04-10-2008, 10:33 AM
well u would have to wait a lil to put groves at harrison's place and put harrison in the middle.. groves would need to learn the d unless he is just unbeleivable at TC and can get the starting job..

Steeldude
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
well hopefully groves will solidify the LBs corps, but others have a list of weaknesses on groves

Extremely inconsistent and lacks a great motor...Undersized and doesn't have the ideal bulk that you look for..Isn't stout at the point...Marginal instincts, awareness and recognition...Limited pass rush repertoire...Too aggressive at times...Slow off the line...Has trouble shedding blocks...Poor technique..A questionable work ethic

undersized is meant if he plays DE. the two weaknesses in bold are what i am concerned about. of course that's just one guy's opinion on groves.

i would prefer a true OLB. pressuring the QB is great, but i don't want another player on the outside who can't tackle a RB. tackling seems to be a lost skill.

if the steelers grab groves, then fantastic. he better live up to the hype and the money.

lilyoder6
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
there could be a good chance that malcolm kelly could be there in the 2nd round.. he had a horrible combine. and will most likely drop him out of the 1st.. if we could get him in the 2nd and king is not there that would be a steal

Galax Steeler
04-11-2008, 05:22 AM
there could be a good chance that malcolm kelly could be there in the 2nd round.. he had a horrible combine. and will most likely drop him out of the 1st.. if we could get him in the 2nd and king is not there that would be a steal

It's hard to believe that malcolm is falling like that.

Texasteel
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
It's hard to believe that malcolm is falling like that.

Its not really all that hard for me to believe. There is a lot of take about not one but 2 bad knees, his latest work out was real bad from what I understand. He seems to have stumbled at the wrong time, for him anyway.

DACEB
04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Groves had heart surgery! Wonder if this is an issue?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/10/groves-had-heart-surgery/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=D2D410ED22998DF1E35BA28E0A162B1D? id=09000d5d807b2b9a&template=with-video&confirm=true

Seems like it might not be a big problem. Hopefully he has a complete recovery and the procedure rectifies his situation. Good luck Quentin.

lilyoder6
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
no him having heart surgery actually improves his stock in my mid.. b/c b4 the surgery he had health problems that teasm wryed about.. now he had the surgery and is a lot better and has no more health problems... kelly blamed the ou trainers 4 his poor workout at his pro day b/c he was training on art. turf and he did the workouts on something dif.. but oh well. i still think he would be a steal in the 2nd

faneca05
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Ya they were talking about his heart on NFL network and they say the surgery was to fix a rapid or irregular heartbeat, but they say the surgey fixed it completely.

Galax Steeler
04-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Ya they were talking about his heart on NFL network and they say the surgery was to fix a rapid or irregular heartbeat, but they say the surgey fixed it completely.

When did all of this come about.

lilyoder6
04-12-2008, 10:28 AM
i never knew about it until i heard it on the nfl network.. and then he sent a msg to all 32 teams saying he is perfectly fine..

Hapa
04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I think an O Linemen is more important

Texasteel
04-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I think an O Linemen is more important

Agine, it all depends on what O-lineman is there when we pick. If there is not one available that is worth a 1st round pick we need to take the BAP, or trade down, if we can find a trade partner.
It would be a major mistake to make a major reach on a OT or OG just for the sake of taking a lineman.