PDA

View Full Version : Randy Pausch Passes Away This Morning

stillers4me
04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/88307/

Pausch's NFL dream part of tonight's ABC Special
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon University professor who touched hearts and lives with his ?last lecture? about achieving childhood dreams, did just that this past fall when he ?practiced? with the Steelers at the team?s facility one day.

Pausch, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that could not be cured, always wanted to play in the NFL. He got the chance to catch passes, kick the football and just have fun following a practice last season.

While he didn?t see any game action his time on the practice field will be featured tonight, Wednesday, April 9 on an ABC Special ? The Last Lecture: A love story for your life with Diane Sawyer. The show airs at 10 p.m. Eastern Time.

"There was a definite sense," Pausch told Sawyer, "when I put that talk together, to use another football expression, you know, I wanted to leave it all on the field. ? If I thought it was important, it's in there. I played in football games where you walk off the field and the scoreboard didn't end up the way you wanted. But you knew that you really did give it all. And the other team was too strong. Yeah, I'm not going to beat the cancer. I tried really hard ? but sometimes you're just not going to beat the thing?I wanted to walk off the stage and say anything I thought was important, I had my hour."

msafford
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm looking forward to this. What an inspiration this man is.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
So earlier this week i saw a commercial on ABC about a man named Randy Pausch, during it, it showed him wearing a hines ward jersey so I was like wow thats cool. Ironicaly today at school my rabaii told us about Randy Paush a Carnegie Mellon University professor who has a deathly illness which he will die from. We watched his "last lecture" which was on of the most inspirational amazing things I have ever watched. As I and my classmates all got choked up, we relized how special this man is. He was said to be dead by september 2007, but is still living. I used to hear about how people even with illnesses can get though it by being happy and living life right, this is what Randy has done, its just amazing.

It is really nice, during his speech he talked about how as a kid one of his childhood dreams was to play in the NFL , since living in the burgh he got the oppurtunity to practice with the steelers. There are pictures of him with players and mike tomlin. This isnt even the begining to explaining this amazing man. There is a special tonight on ABC at 10pm eastern time all on Randy. I and I know he would appreciate if you would watch, it will be a life changing experience. Thanks.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Here is his whole 76 minute speech (the last lecture)

ji5_MqicxSo

But if you dont have the time (make time its life changing) or would like to see the abreviated version he gave on oprah

roRGBqGgbqY

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
The Special just started on ABC!

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I have seen Professor Pauch's last lecture several times and every time, it moves me more and more. He is an amazing man with deep character and the strongest spirit I've ever witnessed. He gives me and every other person who has ever battled cancer the strength and will to keep on fighting!

XT works at Carnegie Mellon and has had the honor of meeting this incredible man. :cheers:

Thank you, Randy, for the inspiration you have given so many. God Bless you and your family and keep on keepin' on! :cheers::hug:

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Very true hometowngal, just watching the special right now on ABC makes me tear up, its so sad such an amazing man like Randy has to die so early, He is just amazing, G-d please let Randy live for a very long time.

EDIT: They are about to show him with the steelers players and mike. Tune to ABC

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow so he goes to the practice field, Hines his favorate player throws him a bunch of passes and Randy caught everyone! He was great, He even kicked a field goal! and it was good! He spoke with Ben just after his motorcycle surgery, He then started crying and saying how amazing this was and said "these guys are so big " and began to laugh! What an amazing man!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-10-2008, 12:10 AM
For you West Coasters an FYI

Tonight on Primetime at 10:00 they are doing a story about a professor at Carnegie Mellon that was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. It's a inspirational story about him and the guy is a huge Steeler fan and some of it is filmed at the Steelers facility and they talk to some of the players including Ward.

X-Terminator
04-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I have seen Professor Pauch's last lecture several times and every time, it moves me more and more. He is an amazing man with deep character and the strongest spirit I've ever witnessed. He gives me and every other person who has ever battled cancer the strength and will to keep on fighting!

XT works at Carnegie Mellon and has had the honor of meeting this incredible man. :cheers:

Thank you, Randy, for the inspiration you have given so many. God Bless you and your family and keep on keepin' on! :cheers::hug:

Yes, I have had the chance to meet him - he's a genuinely awesome guy. When they aired his lecture on Oprah, the assistant dean scrambled around just to find somewhere people can have a chance to watch it live, and someone stepped up to the plate and offered their cable connection. His office in Newell-Simon Hall is still there with his nameplate at the door, and I believe they are "retiring" it. He also has a lab named in his honor, also in Newell-Simon Hall. His story has touched so many people, and I know you in particular have been particularly moved, since you are a 2-time cancer survivor. I'm glad he has been able to live out his dreams - he truly deserves them!

stillers4me
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
That was an awesome special. Thanks for posting the lecture. I will be taking time this weekend to watch it. If I ever, God forbid, find myself in this situation, I pray I can face it as boldly as he and his wife are.

Watching his face during the Steelers segment was precious.

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Here is a link to Randy's website where you can get up to the date information on his status.

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

crcsnail
04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
is there any way i can download that show last nite from anywhere?

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 06:40 PM
is there any way i can download that show last nite from anywhere?

There are several clips from last night's show on the website below, crcsnail.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LastLecture

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Here is an article and some photos from steelers.com on Dr. Pausch's on the field experience with the Steelers. It brings tears to my eyes.

http://news.steelers.com/article/88307/

BettisFan
04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Randy is such and inspiration

19ward86
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
best speech ever, this guy has been on all the big talk shows, Oprah, Dr. Phil, Ellen Degenerous. great guy.

HometownGal
07-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Sadly, Professor Randy Pausch passed away today after a long and courageous battle with pancreatic cancer. Not only will Randy be missed by those at CMU, but by everyone who had the privilege of listening to his Last Lecture. I never had the honor of meeting Professor Pausch personally, but feel that I knew him as I kept tabs on his condition via his website.

:tombstone Randy - they don't make 'em like you anymore and it's a guarantee you are in heaven. Thank you for making such a positive difference in my life. :hug:

Condolences to his wife, Jia, and their three children.

http://kdka.com/local/CMU.Professor.Randy.2.780162.html

Carnegie Mellon Mourns Passing Of Randy Pausch

A walk to raise funds for pancreatic cancer research in North Park next month will now be held in memory of Randy Pausch

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The Carnegie Mellon University campus is mourning the death of Randy Pausch, the professor whose inspirational "Last Lecture" became an Internet sensation.

Pausch, who has been battling pancreatic cancer since September of 2006, died at his home in Virginia this morning.

Word of his death has quickly spread and calls have been coming in from all over the world from those touched by his message.

Pausch shared his lifelong adventure and the world took note last September when he gave what has come to be known as the "Last Lecture."

Over the past months on the CMU campus, Pausch has kept students, colleagues and friends up to date on the progress of his terminal cancer on a special webpage.

His last posting described how the chemotherapy was making him so sick and weak that it wasn't clear if it was the right tradeoff.

Since he wasn't strong enough to post any more messages, a friend updated the website yesterday explaining: "A biopsy last week revealed that the cancer has progressed further than we had thought from recent PETscans. Since last week, Randy has also taken a step down and is much sicker than he had been. He's now enrolled in hospice."

In an obituary released by the school, Carnegie Mellon President Jared Cohon said, "Randy was a brilliant researcher and gifted teacher. Carnegie Mellon and the world are better places for having Randy Pausch in them."

On campus, people who knew him tried to find words to describe the loss.

"It is very difficult," Pausch's friend, Cleah Schlueter, told KDKA.

Schlueter spoke with Pausch's wife this morning by phone about his final hours.

"He was in pain and I think they knew that he was deteriorating," Schlueter added, "but they didn't thing that he was going to pass so soon. It was kind of unexpected, too."

Pausch, 47, is survived by his wife, Jai, and three young children, Chloe, Dylan and Logan.

When asked about them, Schlueter said "they're going to survive. I mean that's what you have to do. That's what life is all about."

According to a posting on the CMU website, the Pausch family requests that any donations be made to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network or to Carnegie Mellon's Randy Pausch Memorial Fund.

Meanwhile, a walk to raise funds for pancreatic cancer research in North Park next month will now be held in memory of Randy Pausch. "Pick Up The Pace" for pancreatic cancer will be held on Sunday, August 17th at the North Park Boathouse.

tony hipchest
07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
i hope his family found peace before he passed and the grief quickly wanes. my mom always visited his site and said it hasnt been very active since early june. and even though everyone knew it was coming, she was terribly sad. a great person has a profound impact on people he never knew. may he reap the eternal reward.

The Duke
07-25-2008, 07:09 PM
oh yeah, I saw this earlier. it's so sad, the man was one hell of an inspiration. long fight, but now he is resting

RIP Randy

CantStop85
07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Knew it was coming, but still a very sad day. I watched his lecture months ago and remember it being one of the most inspirational speeches I've ever seen...the guy was truly a wonderful person.

RIP Randy.

stillers4me
07-26-2008, 08:09 AM
I, also, was watching the site and there was nothing posted from him in the last month. That was not a good sign. He loved posting little tidbits about his family.

I have his book diplayed in my bookcase. RIP, Randy.