PDA

View Full Version : Division Games late in the season

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Division games at the end of the year with the playoffs on the line would make for some great football games. I'm in :tt02::tt02:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/08/mailbag/1.html

• NFL SHOULD TAKE CLUES FROM THE NHL. From Jeff Kraus, of Richmond, Va.: As a big NHL fan, I have loved the way they scheduled the last few weeks of the season to be all inter-division games. What do you think about the NFL doing something like this? What if each team played its division foes on the first three and the last three games of the season? That way those divisional rivalries get the blood boiling, I can't imagine any team mailing it in for the last few weeks.

Your idea is exactly the same idea that several owners floated at the league meetings. As commissioner Roger Goodell said, one of the problems with making that happen is the restrictions that every team puts on its schedule requests to the league office each February. After the league tries to accommodate teams, the NFL often times does not have the wherewithal to schedule most of the teams' division games after Thanksgiving. But I can tell you it's something they are going to try to do in future schedules.

millwalldavey
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I like it... I say make the last three every year each division opponent...

At first I liked the idea of saving all 6 division games to the end, but you need a little bit of hate spread out to get you through the season!

Stu Pidasso
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
When the Steelers/Browns rivalry was in full swing, I hated the fact that we played them basically on opening day (which doesn't give Fans enough time to develop hatred from the off-season) and like game 6. Basically gave the fans nothing to look forward to after that. Now that we have the Pats*, Bungles, and Ravens, our "hatred" can be spread evenly throughout the season.

TheWarDen86
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I was against it at first, but after hearing the arguments (especially by Soloman Wilcots) I'm all for it. It makes perfect sense.

Preacher
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey...

I am ALL FOR inner-division.

We are two games behind the Ravens lets say with 3 games left to play.

Play them the next game, we are one game behind...

Then they lose to a inner-divsion rival and we win... and now we are in first place.
__________________-

Or.. . .

or. . . .

yeah, it would make those last 3 weeks REAL interesting.

Elvis
04-10-2008, 05:29 AM
I wouldnt mind having division games the last 5 or 6 weeks, but not all in a row. Maybe have the final meeting vs all 3 rivals in the last 5 or 6 games would be fine with me.
:helmet:

lilyoder6
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
gotta go evry other week w/ a division rival.. very good idea... hope it pans out

CanadianSteel
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I love the idea of the last 3 weeks versus division opponenets, woukd make the entire NFL schedule meaningful the last few weeks for the most part....

Dino 6 Rings
04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Doesn't matter to me when we play them, I hate them the same Week 1 as I do Week 17. Throw in some of our out of conference rivalries, like NE, Dallas, Jags, Oakland and my blood is hot enough to melt a glacier.

Well actually...if they have the nerve to play us, I hate them, regardless of who they are, Houston, Oakland, Denver, NY Giants, I don't care what uniform they wear, what City they call home, if they have the guts to get on the field with my Steelers, I hate them and want to see them destroyed...but that's just me.

Besides, its so hard to hate the Browns and Bengals because they just SUCK so bad, it isn't worth getting my self worked up over. I mean, come on, the Browns are a cute Div II team. So adorable the way their fans stick behind them. And the Bengals, well come one, zero SB titles between the 2 Ohio teams...jokes. They don't even make it to my signature, that's pathetic.

Ravens...I hate the Ravens.

millwalldavey
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Dino 5 Rings. You have put my feelings to words. I think I have a man crush on you!
LOL!

The Duke
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Dino 5 Rings. You have put my feelings to words. I think I have a man crush on you!
LOL!

:sissies:

jk

actually dino good point, just hate them all if they're playing our steelers. that's the approach the players should take too, hate them and be physical with them, be the more physical team like coach T wants it

Preacher
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Heck, I say have a rivalry month in october, then the bye week for the entire league, then the second half of the season with a rivalry month in december.

Tell me THAT wouldn't really fire things up.

BettisFan
04-10-2008, 09:34 PM
you guys know this would never happen, what the point?

lilyoder6
04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
well it could come that division games could come near the end since the re-seeding idea was shot down

Dino 6 Rings
04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
LOL!

You wouldn't be the first :flap:

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
it would be tight though because the rivalries would be even more intense

Rhee Rhee
04-11-2008, 06:09 PM
it's a great idea because i feel a team's best football is usually played against their rival and just think if we blow out the ravens, browns and bengals leading into the playoffs just think of the confidence and emotion we'll have...

not like this year when we basically limped in the playoffs with crutches...

millwalldavey
04-11-2008, 09:56 PM
it's a great idea because i feel a team's best football is usually played against their rival and just think if we blow out the ravens, browns and bengals leading into the playoffs just think of the confidence and emotion we'll have...

not like this year when we basically limped in the playoffs with crutches...

I never considered the emotional lift! That would be HUGE!!!!!