PDA

View Full Version : Yeah we won, but man I miss Ben..

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2005, 07:05 PM
CP/AT YDS TD INT
C. Batch 9/16 65 0 1

Thank God we have alot ways to win !!! Thats all I can say.

Im proud of the way we can hang in and perserve....but damn !!

Koopa
11-06-2005, 07:09 PM
yeah batch is jsut as worthless as maddox, thank god for troy and duce

OX1947
11-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Thats what great teams do, had maddox just done his job in the JAX game, I strongly feel Reed would have hit a FG in OT and we would have only lost once this year. Two plays have costs us games I think. One was randle el's pitch at the 10, which would have more then likely got us a TD with the momentum against NE and that fumble. However, its good right now that we have very capable back ups. This is probably the best depth I have ever seen our team have. I hope we can bring it all together, nice and healthy by the playoffs....

TasmanianTroy271
11-06-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah batch is jsut as worthless as maddox, thank god for troy and duce

I disagree, I think Batch is ALOT better than Maddox. While Batch did fumble 2 snaps, at least he recovered them and didnt kick them around the field. He also only had 1 int. in the beginning of the game compared to Maddox's 3, and overall did what a backup is supposed to do; Win the game. Not a knock against Ben, but I'm saying I have more confidence in Batch than Maddox.

bengalsfan21
11-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Should Batch get some security hired around his house?

Koopa
11-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I disagree, I think Batch is ALOT better than Maddox. While Batch did fumble 2 snaps, at least he recovered them and didnt kick them around the field. He also only had 1 int. in the beginning of the game compared to Maddox's 3, and overall did what a backup is supposed to do; Win the game. Not a knock against Ben, but I'm saying I have more confidence in Batch than Maddox.

well he did only throw 16 times, so that could be a reason he only had one int and the packers don't really have ball hawking dbs. i hope batch can manage us to another win on sunday.

clevestinks
11-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Its not so much that Batch played terrible. He just wasn`t really good. Plus they knew he wouldn`t be that good, so they stacked against our run.

Although its only been a little over a year, we all miss Ben when he is not in. Its actually kinda funny. Ben wasnt supposed to play at all last year, and maybe battle for the job this season. Now we cant live without him. Get well soon

soniczilla
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Batch hasn't played in 4 years. He did what he had to do. Although one fumble was his fault, the other wasn't; it was hiked to his ankle. He managed the game and got us out victorious. Great job.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2005, 08:06 PM
He managed the game...allbeit he could have done a better job of avoiding the bad passes at times..but overall.. a win is a win is a win..and we cant take over the division lead w/ a win next sunday nite!!!

24seven
11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I said it last week and I'll say it again.. Our secondary sucks!! Doesn't seem to make a difference who the qb is we just can't seem to cover the recievers and they can pass at will.. For some reason though the opposing teams give up on the pass and try and run which we will dominate everytime at (THANK GOD!!) Green Bay as well as the Ravens in the last 2 weeks are able to move the ball at will by throwing almost everytime and our corners are almost 5 yards away everytime. I don't know how many times we get them 3rd and long and they still convert on the pass. I'm not talking out of frustration nor in experince of our team. I've watched the Steelers for 28 years now and know this team inside and out. I love our defensive line and linebackers there probably the most solid in the league but the secondary just makes me cringe.. Alot probably has to do with the calls from Dick since he blitzes almost every play and leaves the secondary wide open for the recievers to run in. We again got to the quarterback like 2 or 3 times (1 making a huge play) but all the other blitzes were pretty much worthless and almost if not for crappy Favre passes would have put the Packers ahead.. I don't need another lecture from someone saying how he hates criticism after a game but I think were getting very lucky holding on in some of these games. Green Bay basically beat themselves and I just hope we can tighten the corners up on man to man coverage as I see alot of room given to the receivers.. A win is a win though and I couldn't be happier in the end and as for Batch.....Nice effort for 1st start in 4 years.. If he starts against Cleveland I think he'll settle down even more.. Get well Ben and Willie!!!!

Prosdo
11-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Batch did alright. Definitely a lot better then Maddox. I really do miss seeing Ben in there though. Get well soon Ben!

cpollock
11-06-2005, 09:49 PM
He managed the game...allbeit he could have done a better job of avoiding the bad passes at times..but overall.. a win is a win is a win..and we can take over the division lead w/ a win next sunday nite!!!

The defense managed to win the game !!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I AGREE with 24seven
Im afraid of our secondary playing against Payton Manning......
When we play the Colts in 3 weeks the defense really has to step up and play against the pass.
If our defense plays they way they have been, Payton is going to have a record breaking day.
I said this last week. Anthony Wright threw at will against our secondary, and if they dont change something up. Payton will light us up.

Koopa
11-06-2005, 10:25 PM
well the secondary did good against a team that is very scary through the air and they shut them down for the most part. i think the d is just playing to the level of the other team that's why the games are so close, they don't get pumped up playing garbage like bret farve (if you haven't noticed i hate his guts), anthony wright etc. etc., when we play the colts it'll be a big game and i think we'll be ready for them

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2005, 10:26 PM
With our normal scenario of stepping up against big time opponets and stepping down against lower key teams... I think we'll be fine. Just one game at a time. Nobody gave us a chance to go 15-1 last year and we did it. We have the talent on our team to beat anyone if we play up to our level.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
You know I had to leave the game early. Yeah we have more than one way to win a game but damn. I wouldn't rank us in the top ten of the power rankings list after this win. We suck and its gonna show soon. The next game Ben has that he doesn't perform like the NFL MVP we are done. You all are convinced that we are better than what we are. We lost to the patriots who are the laughing stock of the AFC who anybody can beat now. Our game was big to us against them because of last year. We are on pace for maybe a wild card spot. Don't fool yourselves. And without JB next year we will be looking like the Browns next year. You know I could be eating my words but come on. The coaching staff needs to pull their heads out of their sphincters. We suck ass without Ben. He should be the team MVP after this season. And if we compose a decent record minus stats he should be the league MVP. Quit foolin' yourselves, I am a realist who knows more about this team than most people on this message board......

Koopa
11-07-2005, 12:16 AM
damn dude, you bringing me down with that post

pitt
11-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Ben,
Please,please,please get better soon!

steelersgirl86
11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
You know I had to leave the game early. Yeah we have more than one way to win a game but damn. I wouldn't rank us in the top ten of the power rankings list after this win. We suck and its gonna show soon. The next game Ben has that he doesn't perform like the NFL MVP we are done. You all are convinced that we are better than what we are. We lost to the patriots who are the laughing stock of the AFC who anybody can beat now. Our game was big to us against them because of last year. We are on pace for maybe a wild card spot. Don't fool yourselves. And without JB next year we will be looking like the Browns next year. You know I could be eating my words but come on. The coaching staff needs to pull their heads out of their sphincters. We suck ass without Ben. He should be the team MVP after this season. And if we compose a decent record minus stats he should be the league MVP. Quit foolin' yourselves, I am a realist who knows more about this team than most people on this message board......

Are you really a Steelers Fan????

Livinginthe past
11-07-2005, 07:19 AM
The Steelers are not a team built to put big points on teams.

Ben is a good QB but I still maintain that the Steelers WR corps is not a strong one - Ben makes extra time for these WRs to get open with his mobility in and out of the pocket.

When you have a reserve QB in you notice the difference - the WR cant create seperation and rarely give the QB an easy throw.

Its a common problem with fans (NE fans are just the same) but we expect our teams to be dominant all the time - we hype them up (sometimes unfairly) - and when they cant match our expectations we get over reactions like one of the posts above.

All things being even, and hopefully with not too many injuries, the Steelers have a match winning, improving QB and an excellent 1-2-3 at RB.

The Steelers LB corps is one of the best league wide and the DB's are young but improving with each game.

The only real puzzle so far is the amount of 3rd and longs this team have conceded against poor Offenses, I expect this to be ironed out by the post-season.

Cheers

NM

bangpow
11-07-2005, 09:00 AM
I said it last week and I'll say it again.. Our secondary sucks!! .......I've watched the Steelers for 28 years now and know this team inside and out. I love our defensive line and linebackers there probably the most solid in the league but the secondary just makes me cringe..

This is my first post here, all the way from the Detroit area.

Anyway, the Steelers secondary hasn't been good for the last few years. The Rooney's haven't done much in the way of Free Agency to correct the problem. I believe that if the Jets didn't expose the Steelers inability to cover the deep ball in playoffs last year, the Steelers would've beaten the Pats. The Pats just took that game tape and knew that they were going to be able to pass all over them.

Look no further than the 372 yards Brady put up earlier in the year on the Steelers.

Polamalu is a good start, but all he really does is blitz and he does that stupid move where he fakes the blitz and then turns his back to LOS and runs in a full sprint backwards. Yes, they drafted some guys over the last two seasons, but i don't think they are really anything too special at this point of their careers. Ty Law would've been fun to have on the squad, though.

Oh well, i guess every team has to have a weakness in the NFL.

Packers
11-07-2005, 09:49 AM
please, you guys did not beat the packers, we beat our selves. I dont know how everyone is scared of you guys in the AFC, you guys outright suck, no offense and Favre had his way with your lame defese.

bangpow
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
please, you guys did not beat the packers, we beat our selves. I dont know how everyone is scared of you guys in the AFC, you guys outright suck, no offense and Favre had his way with your lame defese.

What was the final score of the game?

Livinginthe past
11-07-2005, 10:12 AM

That is no consolation at all...what sort of team beats themsleves?

Answer..... a bad team.

The pack is going nowhere for a few years.

NM

Suitanim
11-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm kind of surprised by all this...The Steelers drafted DB high in the draft the last 3 years, and great DB's are not made in a single season. Did I actually read someone knocking Polamula? The dude is a monster tackler, has great speed, and is arguably the best safety in the league. Ike is coming along nicely, and McFadden played a pretty good game yesterday.

It's very frustrating every Monday to read all the armchair QB's prognosticating about all the weaknesses of the team, especially after a win. Favre made some bad throws when he was being PRESSURED. He also made some great throws that very few QB's could make. All in all, he had a pretty good game yesterday compared to some of his recent outtings.

Favre was 20/35 for 214 and a pick. Yes, they converted too many 3rd downs, but this defense is based on bend don't break. They weren't helped by an offense that was going 3 and out through most of the 1st and 2nd QTR.

A good defense makes an offense earn every yard. They don't give up big plays. They make an offense execute for the entire drive in order to score. For the most part, the defense has done it's job this season, especially by being patient and forcing the opposition to make mistakes.

Here are the stats:

Total Defense: 8th
Y/G: 8th
Y/P: 4th
Points/G: 5th
TD's/G:4th
Takeaways: 5th

We are bad at letting teams convert 3rd downs, and our overall passing D is mediocre, but the net results are generally in the top 15-25% in the league.

bangpow
11-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm kind of surprised by all this...The Steelers drafted DB high in the draft the last 3 years, and great DB's are not made in a single season. Did I actually read someone knocking Polamula? The dude is a monster tackler, has great speed, and is arguably the best safety in the league. Ike is coming along nicely, and McFadden played a pretty good game yesterday.

No, I wasn't knocking him, I was saying that Polamalu was a good start. I also commented on how i don't really like the fake blitz move that he does. I think it takes him out of position to make some plays in the secondary. Like, during the Patriots game, which i was at, everytime he did that move, it left the middle of the field wide open where Brady did his damage.

Overall, I think Polamalu is a beast, but he's still young.

tony hipchest
11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
i havent watched t. law too much this season but he got abused by l. tomlinson yesterday. i believe hes doing quite average in a cover 2? defense. he would probably get picked on and burned if asked to play in the steelers defense with his age and recent injuries and without constant safety help. our rookie cb made one hell of a sack and fumble yesterday against one of the most elusive qb's in the league. = 7 pts.

Koopa
11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
The Steelers are not a team built to put big points on teams.

Ben is a good QB but I still maintain that the Steelers WR corps is not a strong one - Ben makes extra time for these WRs to get open with his mobility in and out of the pocket.

When you have a reserve QB in you notice the difference - the WR cant create seperation and rarely give the QB an easy throw.

Its a common problem with fans (NE fans are just the same) but we expect our teams to be dominant all the time - we hype them up (sometimes unfairly) - and when they cant match our expectations we get over reactions like one of the posts above.

All things being even, and hopefully with not too many injuries, the Steelers have a match winning, improving QB and an excellent 1-2-3 at RB.

The Steelers LB corps is one of the best league wide and the DB's are young but improving with each game.

The only real puzzle so far is the amount of 3rd and longs this team have conceded against poor Offenses, I expect this to be ironed out by the post-season.

Cheers

NM

thank you for saying that, i've been trying to tell my friend that but he thinks it's the wrs that make ben look very good, outside of hines we are just aight. i guess i +rep you for that lol

Koopa
11-07-2005, 12:57 PM

we suck? y'all got an old ass overrated qb that gets attention only cause everyone in his family is dieing or getting ill......and then y'all have (who is going to be the biggest bust in this years draft) waiting to be the next starter, packers won't be contenders for many years even though they are in the shittiest division in the nfl

Koopa
11-07-2005, 01:12 PM

i wanna respond to this again casue you know, when bettis does leave he might be missed but it won't have that much of a impact that you think it's gonna have. we draft well and all we need is a power back to be successful, and with him gone big ben will take up more of the leadership role along with hines (who IMO is the heart and soul of this team) and will keep this team contenders for many years to come. i don't see how you can compare us to the browns that's just stupid and i hope you were drunk or stoned when you did this post. we are not in trouble when the bus retires. hell we can draft lendale white and be just as or more successful next year. we are not a one man team.

and don't sleep on the pats just yet i always do to soon and then bam they got a new banner to hang up in their stadium, we lost to a good team.

and what's with being an ass on that last statment about you know more about this team then any of us on this message board? maybe it's you that needs to take your head sphincter

bangpow
11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
You know who i would like to see the Steelers end up with as a power back?

Ron Dayne.

I think he would strive in the Steelers offensive scheme.

rowedf
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Another typical Monday for wannabe fans.....I'm not directing this at everyone but just you pessimists that can't be happy with anything, but I'm sure you'd be the first one in line at a super bowl parade right? We won!! :busted:

Koopa
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
haw here comes rowedf to questions everyones loyalty to the team cause we ain't saying everyone is god on this team, it's called debating and having something to talk about, this board would be boring as hell if everyone said that we are the best to ever touch the football, we all love the steelers the same just cause we ain't on everyones nuts don't mean we ain't loyal to them. if you want a message board like that go to the aol message board

bangpow
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Another typical Monday for wannabe fans.....I'm not directing this at everyone but just you pessimists that can't be happy with anything, but I'm sure you'd be the first one in line at a super bowl parade right? We won!! :busted:

So the Steelers played a perfect game yesterday and showed no weaknesses?

Koopa
11-07-2005, 01:36 PM
So the Steelers played a perfect game yesterday and showed no weaknesses?

no no, they played flawless and are unbeatable we running the table and no team stands a chance to ever ever ever ever compete with us no matter who is out there........that is the type of response that he likes, he's really the only fan like that on this board.

rowedf
11-07-2005, 03:04 PM
LOL you guys crack me up, if your so enamored with my replies go back and read them and you'll realize my glasses aren't always rosey colored.

My point is, we won and people are so damn negative! I never said they played great or have no holes in their game....but they did win and that's the bottom line. Unless the Steelers win 55-0 every week people complain about something, I know it will never stop, but it gets annoying.

I have never said you shouldn't post what you think they need to improve on, hell, I'd encourage that, if people didnt come across sounding so ridiculous when they try. What irritates me is the people saying "our secondary sucks" or "our defensive is horrible" or "our offense can't score"....... those kinda statements are flat out stuipd to me...look up the stats before you spout off about how horrible we are.

Back on topic,

One thing I can't figure out is why we play off the ball so much with our corners? We all saw how Ike handled CJ by bumping him all day.....why not do more of that? It seemed this week they were 7 yards off the line 90% of the game. I know LeBeau is agressive with his blitzes but is he too passive with how he lines up the secondary?

Koopa
11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
i think when we play the colts we'll see more of that on marvin harrison. it's just different game planning, green bay or the ravens don't have no real threat at wr so there ain't no real point

clevestinks
11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Batch actually finally started to settle in late in the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
and that was a big key.. like duce...it took them both about a half of football to calm down and get back into the swing of it..

It wont be the end of the world if Batch starts, but I really want Ben back in a BIG way !!!

Koopa
11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
i think ben should sit one more week just to make sure everthing is set for the ravens cause that's gonna be another good game. batch can handle the browns with duce ready to take over

24seven
11-09-2005, 01:19 AM
What irritates me is the people saying "our secondary sucks" or "our defensive is horrible" or "our offense can't score"....... those kinda statements are flat out stuipd to me...look up the stats before you spout off about how horrible we are.

I believe if we looked at the stats alone most people would have guessed we lost half our games. What did Brett Farve have like 200 and some yards passing and batch had um er.. like 65?? Granted we beat them in the run game but it wasn't the difference the passing game was.. Look at the San Diego game.. We won by 1 point but I think everyone new that was one hell of a tough match and there you can look at it as a win is a win and no complaints cause SD is one hell of a team.. But Green Bay..Balitmore.. These teams SUCK!! And we have every right to bitch about the things that didn't go right as we KNOW were better than that.. If your passionate about the game your gonna let out some steam and I for one can't hold in the pain when i see those shitty teams stompin down the field at will over and over.. We all love our team or we wouldn't even have found this board.. You just don't stumble upon this site by one Steelers search.. at least I didn't.. But the people here are all extremely cool and I can tell we all share the love for our Steelers.. Just remember.. You can beat your kids, whip em senseless and kick em square in the ass but that doesn't mean you don't love them any less.. Same goes for our Steelers......

I.C. Lights
11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think the secondary sucks, but I don't think they're good enough to get us to the SB. All it takes is a QB like Brady or Manning and a receiver like Branch or Harrison and we can be picked apart at will. Bad news is we're gonna meet a QB who can pick us apart in the playoffs, good news is we have half a season left to get better and at the rate these guys are improving, that's really good news.