View Full Version : Steelers Free Agent Signings Address Needs

SteelersFever
04-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Title: Steelers Free Agent Signings Address Needs
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 4/10/08
Author: Paul Eide

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0807.html

First Paragraph: The first word that comes to mind when assessing the Steelers free agent acquisitions this offseason has to be "modest". The Steelers weren't expected to make any significant, "big name" signings and they didn't, even when it came to re-signing the best offensive lineman on the market, Alan Faneca, who signed a contract with the New York Jets. But instead of throwing huge money at available "name" players like the Jets did, the Steelers addressed needs at cost effective prices.

jtmill
04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I think the offseason signings and acquisitions were decent lot for the steelers. If Hartwig can nail down the center job, that gives us another guard in mahan. I believe mahan and colon were decent guards but pretty well sucked when moved to center and tackle. Given who we signed and who we have left, I think we'll actually be fine. It wouldn't surprise me to see something other than OL with the #23.

jtmill
04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Currently...

At center:
Stapleton, Hartwig, Retrofsky, Warren

At tackle:
Essex, Smith, Parquet, Lentz, Capizzi, Starks

At guard:
Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan

I still think we may need a couple more for competition, but I think we already have our starters on the roster. And this doesn't include our blocking TE's of Miller, Dekker, Spaeth, and Boyd.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Currently...

At center:
Stapleton, Hartwig, Retrofsky, Warren

At tackle:
Essex, Smith, Parquet, Lentz, Capizzi, Starks

At guard:
Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan

I still think we may need a couple more for competition, but I think we already have our starters on the roster. And this doesn't include our blocking TE's of Miller, Dekker, Spaeth, and Boyd.

Looks like more question marks than one could find after a Clinton debate.

Looking at your list...Well. It's a bitter pill. But I'm glad we're not mortgaging our future with half-ass free agents. Time to rebuild the hard way.

DACEB
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I still don't fully understand why they re-signed Eason. I look at it as an insurance policy, depending on how the draft plays out. It's just that this guy really didn't pan out, and after the Mahan debacle, it makes me question the logic.

I would be estatic to see both those guys cut prior to the season. They have both sucked so far, and I would love to see an upgrade.

BlastFurnace
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I still don't fully understand why they re-signed Eason. I look at it as an insurance policy, depending on how the draft plays out. It's just that this guy really didn't pan out, and after the Mahan debacle, it makes me question the logic.

I would be estatic to see both those guys cut prior to the season. They have both sucked so far, and I would love to see an upgrade.

Unless Eason does a 180 this training camp, I can't see how he sticks around. He was absolutely dreadful when he played and the teams ran right at him. I didn't expect him to be Ray Seals, Aaron Smith or even Kimo, but how about doing your best impersonation of Orpheus Roye or Nolan Harrison.

19ward86
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
i give the offseason a C+ so far...

Galax Steeler
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
The signings of hartiwig and moore I really like I think that will boost our team alot.

BettisFan
04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Mabey a corner to compete with townsend.

Jeremy
04-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Compete?

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM

The Eason re-signing is still a question mark in my mind, but I have to trust in the Steelers coaching staff to recognize positive traits in players. As I've said in numerous threads, I want to see Mahan in camp and preseason at his natural G position before I damn him. I think he was unfairly labled as the OL scapegoat last season, though he contributed to the line's bad play and lack of protection.

Jeremy
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm still dissapointed that the Steelers didn't make a serious offer to Faneca.

Rhee Rhee
04-10-2008, 06:05 PM
The signings of hartiwig and moore I really like I think that will boost our team alot.

idk about hartwig... he satisfied a need but from what i hear he's a far cry from what he once was.. moore was and will be a good signing..

Galax Steeler
04-11-2008, 03:48 AM
idk about hartwig... he satisfied a need but from what i hear he's a far cry from what he once was.. moore was and will be a good signing..

That is true but he is a big improvement compared to what we had last year.

lilyoder6
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
jeremt they did make a offer to faneca.. i think that it was like 750,000-1 mill less a yr than the jets offered him.. and i bet the jets gave him more guareented money.. to much 4 a lineman in his 30's..

DACEB
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
No, our line wasn't great last season, but all smartass comments aside, it wasn't completely inept either. Just because you don't have first-round draft picks or $6 million free agents playing every position on the line does not mean the sky is falling.

I don't know, it was pretty close to inept. :wink02:

I agree, I keep saying that we can have a huge improvement if;
a) Hartwig is an improvement over Mahan at center. That shouldn't be tough, I hope the guy's healthy.
b) Move Starks back to tackle, and let Colon fight for the vacant guard spot.

We very well could have our starting tackles for the next four years with Smith and Starks. I would try swapping them to see if Starks is indeed more comfortable at LT. In the same token, that would devalue Smith also. Smith would be entering the end of his career and being a RT he would not command as much next year.

LT Starks
LG Colon
C Hartwig
RG Simmons
RT Smith

I'd like to see this line-up first preseason game.

jtmill
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I'd agree with that lineup. Was Mahan a RG or LG? He may very well be a starter at the guard position. I think the key is in Hartwig.

lilyoder6
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
that could be a very good line of it all works out.. w/ mahan being able to play all 3 inside spots.. and maybe drafting albert..

millwalldavey
04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I like the comment about a good CB to compete. That would be nice. Not much left out there now, so maybe a decent one will come along in the draft?

I'm hoping Colon pans out...

Galax Steeler
04-12-2008, 06:18 AM
I like the comment about a good CB to compete. That would be nice. Not much left out there now, so maybe a decent one will come along in the draft?

I'm hoping Colon pans out...

I would also love to see a corner come in and give some competition if we don't draft one then maybe william gay will be the man to do that.

DACEB
04-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Gay could definetely break out this year. He has played well when given the oppurtunity.

Welcome To Smashmouth
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM

His name is McFadden, and he's been given the shaft one year too many.....