PDA

View Full Version : Attorney: Girl, 10, too young to understand attack charges

Jeremy
04-10-2008, 03:15 PM
http://www.examiner.com/a-1331688~Attorney__Girl__10__too_young_to_understan d_attack_charges.html?cid=rss-Pennsylvania_Headlines

ERIE, Pa. (Map, News) - Two young girls accused of brutally attacking another girl on a playground are too emotionally immature to understand the criminal charges against them and the charges should be dismissed, defense attorneys said.

The girls, ages 10 and 11, face aggravated assault and other charges for the attack on another 10-year-old girl at an elementary school playground the evening of April 3. The girls are accused of stomping on the victim and breaking her hip, police said.

Erie County Public Defender Tony Logue says he will ask a Juvenile Court judge to dismiss criminal charges against the 10-year-old girl.

"How can my attorney effectively communicate with his clients given the client's chronological age versus emotional age?" Logue said.

Attorney Bruce Sandmeyer said he has similar concerns for his client, the 11-year-old, and expects to file a similar motion in the coming days.

"My client is just 11 years old and just an elementary school student," Sandmeyer said.

The defense attorneys both said the case should be treated as a dependency case, not a delinquency case. In legal terms, a judge who rules a child is dependent can place the child under the supervision of the Erie County Office of Children and Youth.

A delinquency case, which is what the girls currently face, is the juvenile court equivalent of a criminal case. If the girls are found delinquent, the equivalent of a guilty verdict, they could be confined in a juvenile detention facility or otherwise be under the supervision of the court until they turn 21.

Ian Murray, the assistant public defender representing the 10-year-old girl, said she and her family feel deep remorse for the attack. "This is tragic for everyone, especially the victim," Murray said.

Family members of the 11-year-old suspect say she is an "A" and "B" student who has never been in trouble before.

The injured girl said the other girls pulled her off the monkey bars and attacked after she told the girls to stop splashing water on her 8-year-old sister in the school playground. Police said the victim was repeatedly stomped on the head and legs.

The victim remains hospitalized and is expected to undergo at least one week of rehabilitation at a hospital. She has three pins in her hip to keep the bones in place and may eventually need a hip replacement, her mother said.

Preacher
04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Wow.

Here is the rub.

Put them in Juve for 10 years, and they grow up institutionalized... and WILL end up back in jail.

Don't throw them in Juve? you send a message that this kind of brutality is ok.

I actually would prefer some kind of middle ground. She spends every weekend in Juve until she is eighteen or something like that.

Borski
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Lots of community service with weekends in jail for a few years sounds good to me.

millwalldavey
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Wow. I see it everyday... we need to get control of our society and we need to start with the youth.

stlrtruck
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Military School!!!!

The parents are obviously not involved in giving discipline and direction

The Duke
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Military School!!!!

honestly that doesn't sound bad at all. if parents can't give discipline someone else should.

what are the parents going to do, ground her? tell her that what she did was wrong? she's 10! she will just bitch about it being unfair and words will be heard but forgotten. at least it was that way for me, lol

stlrtruck
04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
honestly that doesn't sound bad at all. if parents can't give discipline someone else should.

what are the parents going to do, ground her? tell her that what she did was wrong? she's 10! she will just bitch about it being unfair and words will be heard but forgotten. at least it was that way for me, lol

Worse yet, the parents will find some way to pin this on someone else. That their daughter was just doig something to protect herself or some obscure idea that it's not her fault.

I remember a day when parents sided with the authorities and children were held to a higher standard than self.

Dino 6 Rings
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Military School!!!!

Ok, but who pays for it? the tax payers?

revefsreleets
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Sure, why not? We are probably already dropping 12k year a piece on them for public school, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Military School is probably comparable. If it's more, deduct it from the parents pay...

stlrtruck
04-11-2008, 02:18 PM

We either pay for this kids eventually in jail or some other support system - so why not avoid the long term drain on society and pay for the military school (that ends at the age of 18)

Dino 6 Rings
04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
We either pay for this kids eventually in jail or some other support system - so why not avoid the long term drain on society and pay for the military school (that ends at the age of 18)

Ok, I was ready for this...yes, in tax dollars, it may cost more to lock them up in prison than it would to put them in military school, however, forcing kids into the Military by forcing them into Military School, paid for by the Government, with tax dollars, is a very dangerous slippery slope.

That's not what our military is about. The most important thing about our Military is the aspect that our soldiers are volunteers, not Forced into the life. No Draft (right now) no "go to war or go to jail" type situations. No Dirty Dozen. Its about real civilians, giving up their freedoms with their own free will, to defend the freedoms of others. Once you start putting Kids into the military schools...well then...Might as well cast your vote in the next election for the Dark Lord of the Sith.

stlrtruck
04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Ok, I was ready for this...yes, in tax dollars, it may cost more to lock them up in prison than it would to put them in military school, however, forcing kids into the Military by forcing them into Military School, paid for by the Government, with tax dollars, is a very dangerous slippery slope.

That's not what our military is about. The most important thing about our Military is the aspect that our soldiers are volunteers, not Forced into the life. No Draft (right now) no "go to war or go to jail" type situations. No Dirty Dozen. Its about real civilians, giving up their freedoms with their own free will, to defend the freedoms of others. Once you start putting Kids into the military schools...well then...Might as well cast your vote in the next election for the Dark Lord of the Sith.

I'm not saying they should be setup to be enlisted into our military. I'm sure there are plenty of men and women who attend military schools who do not enter the military. I'm saying they should utilize the military schools to help in the discipline that the children's parents lack.

Set a tie for these children to attend the schools, say 4 years. The children and/or parents can then decide if they want to continue in the school let them continue (if the parents can't afford it - then I say let the gov't flip the bill but a financial analysis will be done on the parents) and if they decide to go to public school after that, let them go. This is just a summary.

I don't see how suggesting that children be put in military school can be compared as placing the Dark Lord of the Sith as president. Other than location and a few liberties what is the difference between putting the children in military school vs. juvenile hall until their 18? It's a drain on the taxpayers dollars. To me the difference is the positive they can receive from military school vs. the continuous drain they may become from being in juvey. Statistics show that with no correction those in juvey are more likely to return to prison as an adult...why not try something different and give the youth a chance to not only survive but excel.

TroysBadDawg
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Military school is very disciplined, something parents are afraid to do, discipline the kids.

But you don't want that so send them to Boot Camp for a year, but oh wait that has the ring of military also. so call it Discipline 101, also send the bleeding heart parents who do not know how to be parent's, but want to be friends.