PDA

View Full Version : Character will play a role in upcoming draft

DACEB
04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Seems like the team is concerned with it's recent bad press, and is looking for high character, quality players with leadership ability in the draft.

With recent arrests of linebacker James Harrison and receiver Cedrick Wilson (and one of the guys who wore the costume of mascot Steely McBeam) and a criminal trial of running back Najeh Davenport (he was acquitted on Wednesday), we?re told that the Pittsburgh Steelers are dropping from their draft board players with character questions.

There also are concerns regarding the overall leadership in the locker room, given the departures over the past few seasons of running back Jerome Bettis, center Jeff Hartings, and guard Alan Faneca.

The directive to clean things up surely has come from the top of the organization, which has been embarrassed by the misbehavior of several players ? starting two years ago with first-round draft pick Santonio Holmes, who was arrested twice in three weeks less than two months after joining the team.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/10/steelers-clearing-turds-off-the-draft-board/

Hapa
04-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I hope they aren't missing out on anyone really good though...

And the main need is an O Linemen and how often do O Linemen cause problems? lol

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2008, 06:14 PM
i guess we can scratch.....
WR's....hardy ,kelly , manningham, arrington, urritia.Maurice Purify,Josh Morgan,
OT........carl nicks
LB/DE........chris ellis, tommy blake, joe clermond
CB............mike jenkins , aqib talib, Jack Ikegwuonu,justin king
S...........Simeon Castille,
and anyone from WVU !!!!

Texasteel
04-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if I would lump Tommy Blake in there, his problems are more medical than character.
Not that I would take him anyway, but if he is on his medication he can be one heck of a player.

Rhee Rhee
04-13-2008, 04:33 AM
I don't know if I would lump Tommy Blake in there, his problems are more medical than character.
Not that I would take him anyway, but if he is on his medication he can be one heck of a player.

agreed.

that's unfair to tommy blake... it's not like he stole an X-box or assaulted a girl he just had some personal issues that he had to work out... and i think now with his head on straight he'd be an incredible addition to the steelers if we aren't able to grab a DE/OLB developemental project (i.e groves)

Rhee Rhee
04-13-2008, 04:56 AM
i guess we can scratch.....
WR's....hardy ,kelly , manningham, arrington, urritia.Maurice Purify,Josh Morgan,
OT........carl nicks
LB/DE........chris ellis, tommy blake, joe clermond
CB............mike jenkins , aqib talib, Jack Ikegwuonu
S...........Simeon Castille,
and anyone from WVU !!!!

your forgetting justin king...

the charges that were put up against him were dropped but where there's smoke there's fire so idk...

Mike Tomlin loves this kid a lot and i have a hard time seeing the steelers pass on a talent like him...

here's the article btw:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2007-05-04-pennstate-court_N.htm

Galax Steeler
04-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think you are going to find any football player that hasn't been in a some kind of mischief everyone is human we could find fault in anyone.

Texasteel
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I got a chance to see Blake play a some games the year before his problems. If he keeps on his medication, and can keep his head straight, and it looks so far this year that he is on the road to doing that, he could be better than Groves.

Question is, do you want to take that kind of a chance.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 12:06 PM
your forgetting justin king...

the charges that were put up against him were dropped but where there's smoke there's fire so idk...

Mike Tomlin loves this kid a lot and i have a hard time seeing the steelers pass on a talent like him...

here's the article btw:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2007-05-04-pennstate-court_N.htmyup, you're right. i couldn't remember what it was that i read about king.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
anyone have a theory, as to why WR's and DB's are the majority of character issue players in football ?

tony hipchest
04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
anyone have a theory, as to why WR's and DB's are the majority of character issue players in football ?i'll take a crack at it.

because theyre pussies and divas, one step above punters and kickers?

hear me out, as i use neon deion as an example. a perfect cb or wr would rarely have to make contact (tackle or be tackled).

they think they are gamechangers who can immediately have the greatest impact, but this can simply ride on a single good or bad throw by a quarterback.

maybe the finesse nature (relative to say a lineman or rb) of their position gives them a sort of napoleon complex that leads to character problems.

:hunch:

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
i'll take a crack at it.

because theyre pussies and divas, one step above punters and kickers?

hear me out, as i use neon deion as an example. a perfect cb or wr would rarely have to make contact (tackle or be tackled).

they think they are gamechangers who can immediately have the greatest impact, but this can simply ride on a single good or bad throw by a quarterback.

maybe the finesse nature (relative to say a lineman or rb) of their position gives them a sort of napoleon complex that leads to character problems.

:hunch:that certainly does explain thier primadona attitudes on the field, its the off - field, thug , above the law, antics that i don't understand. i realize the wealth and fame, gives some people the "untouchable" feeling, i just don't get why it's so prominite with these two positions.the arrogance in football certainly isn't limited to wr's and db's.

DACEB
04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
anyone have a theory, as to why WR's and DB's are the majority of character issue players in football ?

That's a good point MOP. It's not exclusive but you may be on to something.

I think it's great that the team is looking at character and leadership. This is a team sport, and the overall unit is greater than any individual. Take a look at the prospects the team has looked at, many have been award winners or team captains. Even going back to last season's draft.

millwalldavey
04-13-2008, 06:32 PM

I remember seeing something breifly on TV a month or so back about what players have the biggest personality problems on a football team. It was a study done by Psychologists at the behest of... I wanna say the Denver Broncos... in the 1970's. Psychologists found WR's to be the biggest ego players on the team. They reasoned that it has to do with the big-play nature of their game and it kinda goes to their head.

I would argue that the DB's are similar in that they mirror the WRs on field and many of them have experience either way. Think about the head you get by shutting down the biggest head on the field.

Someone (maybe me) should try to find something on that study online... I may have the team and the decade wrong... but I think I'm right.

BettisFan
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
yea if character does not play role we will have more players getting in trouble with the law, this character issue will be very important this year.

Rhee Rhee
04-14-2008, 04:00 AM

lol... lucky QB's aren't known for character concerns...

just imagine BR like quincy carter or ryan leaf...

Galax Steeler
04-14-2008, 06:26 AM
lol... lucky QB's aren't known for character concerns...

just imagine BR like quincy carter or ryan leaf...

scarry thought.:doh: