PDA

View Full Version : Let's play Steeler GM

rdsovchen
04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
With the draft less than 2 weeks away, what are your scenarios for the Steeler's first round pick.

Do they trade up, trade down or stay put?
What team do they trade up with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
What team do they trade down with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
If they stay put, what is the obvious choice with who you feel will still be on the board?
Branden Albert is moving up fast, Is Gosder a reach at 23?
Do we forego OL and look at WR, CB or elsewhere?

Black@Gold Forever32
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
With the draft less than 2 weeks away, what are your scenarios for the Steeler's first round pick.

Do they trade up, trade down or stay put?
What team do they trade up with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
What team do they trade down with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
If they stay put, what is the obvious choice with who you feel will still be on the board?
Branden Albert is moving up fast, Is Gosder a reach at 23?
Do we forego OL and look at WR, CB or elsewhere?

It takes two to tango....So its sometimes tough to trade up or down...But I really don't want to trade up...I would prefer to trade down and especially with the Falcons...Wouldn't mind trying to pick up an extra first round pick for 09 like the Cowboys did last year with their trade with the Browns....

But if no trade happens I think drafting best available is the way to go rather then drafting for need....The only OTs I would spend a first round pick on is Jake Long, Ryan Clady and Chris Williams.....Long and Clady for sure won't be there at 23....I also don't think Williams will be there.....Only one OG is worth a first round grade and thats Brandon Albert and with his potential to play LT one day he is moving up draft boards....so I doubt he will be there at 23...

I want nothing to do with Otah...think he is vastly over-rated and a bit of a project...As for Gosder Cherilus....I like the fact he is from BC and Boston College has a good track record of producing quality NFL OL...But I still think 23 is to early for him and I view him as a 2nd round prospect...If the Steelers could trade down and draft him then fine...

Now if Williams and Albert are gone at 23 and no trades happen...I would look at Quentin Groves, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Jonathan Stewart.....

millwalldavey
04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I like Albert @ 23 if he is there... Groves could be nice, but a stretch.

If we go WR, I'd take Sweed.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 03:33 PM
i'd look to move down, with a trading partner in the top 10 of the second RD......but i wouldn't go for thier 1st next year, because chances are its a top 10 pick, and i wouldn't want the top 10 ransom ( signing bonus) that goes with it.
32 miami - could possably wanna move up for a reciever, or cherilus
33 rams - may move to the 3-4 and could covet groves if they don't take gholston
34 falcons - if cason, talib or phillips , or maybe DT balmer, or cherilus could be targeted
35 chiefs - could be eying a DB, reciever, balmer or cherilus
36 jets - groves, CB
37 falcons
38 ravens - CB
39 49ers - could want groves , cherilus or a WR
40 saints - may want to go for a CB or phillips
41 buffalo - a CB or WR.

Texasteel
04-13-2008, 06:37 PM
i'd look to move down, with a trade in the top 10 of the second RD......but i wouldn't go for thier 1st next year, because chances are its a top 10 pick, and i wouldn't want the top 10 ransom ( signing bonus) that goes with it.
32 miami - could possably wanna move up for a reciever, or cherilus
33 rams - may move to the 3-4 and could covet groves if they don't take gholston
34 falcons - if cason, talib or phillips , or maybe DT balmer, or cherilus could be targeted
35 chiefs - could be eying a DB, reciever, balmer or cherilus
36 jets - groves, CB
37 falcons
38 ravens - CB
39 49ers - could want groves , cherilus or a WR
40 saints - may want to go for a CB or phillips
41 buffalo - a CB or WR.

I like your thinking, except I would take next years 1st in order to give us some flexability in next years draft. There are probably 5 OTs next year that would make very good LTs and an extra 1st could help us trade up or down to get the one we want.
BUT, I just have a feeling that someone, probably Cherilus or Groves, will be there that they will take.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
I like your thinking, except I would take next years 1st in order to give us some flexability in next years draft. There are probably 5 OTs next year that would make very good LTs and an extra 1st could help us trade up or down to get the one we want.
BUT, I just have a feeling that someone, probably Cherilus or Groves, will be there that they will take.ok.....but who would give up a 1st , plus an additional pick.....for who ? the clowns gave up the # 36, plus a 1st for the #22., but that was for a guy projected as a top 10 at worst. so unless something similiar happens this year, i don't see it happening. i just don't think there's gonna be that " must have guy" around at 23.look at who's behind us in the 1st, and what position there likely to take........
24 tenn.........WR.........no need to move up
25 seattle.....WR ( branch may miss 08 with torn acl , engram is 35, hacket traded ).....no need to move up
26 jacksonville......DE....trading with us wouldn't help, they'd need to probably get in front of washington.....or they'll snag a DT (BALMER OR MOORE)
27 chargers........OT......thier not gonna give up much for cherlus, plus they don't have a 2nd,3rd, or 4th......they should be looking to trade down themselves.
28 dallas........WR / CB.......They'll get value at either position here....no need to trade
29 SF.............OLB/ DE/WR......If groves is there, i'm sure they'll take him, and they could offer us trade, but they could still get WR value here
30 GB............DB .........They would probably only have to move to 27 to get talib or cason, so why go to 23?
31 NY.............S / LB ........they lost thier safty to oakland, so phillips should be there target, no need to move to 23 for phillips. or dan conner.

Texasteel
04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not saying that such a deal could or could not happen, you never know what some of these teams are going to do on draft day. In fact, like you, I can't see any player at this time that would pull in a 1st day pick next year.

Just saying that if a chance to bring in another 1st round pick next year came around, without messing up this years draft to bad, I would listen.

MasterOfPuppets
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm not saying that such a deal could or could not happen, you never know what some of these teams are going to do on draft day. In fact, like you, I can't see any player at this time that would pull in a 1st day pick next year.

Just saying that if a chance to bring in another 1st round pick next year came around, without messing up this years draft to bad, I would listen.oh absolutley !!! .......the falcons have 3 picks in the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd.....i'd be callin them on draft day.:thumbsup:

Steeldude
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
as GM i would realize that picking a WR in the first 3 rounds would be wasteful. the needs of the steelers will not be fixed by adding a WR that early.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-14-2008, 01:09 AM

That could work great for our next Center!!!......Alex Mack from Cal.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mack_alex03.html

Elvis
04-14-2008, 07:13 AM
:hatsoff:To Everyone

This is what makes this fun to me. Everyone has different views on how things should go. I feel like we need Off. Linemen, but Albert the best OLineman in the draft in my opinion because of his flexibility of playing either G or T will probably be gone by 23 and could be in the top 10. I really think that the Steelers should look at DB myself. Quinton Groves at LB will be tempting, but we are getting very old at the corner position and we are not that strong at corner anyway. I also think that Kenny Phillips the S from Miami, Fla would be a nice fix next to Troy Polomalu.

DACEB
04-14-2008, 07:15 AM
as GM i would realize that picking a WR in the first 3 rounds would be wasteful. the needs of the steelers will not be fixed by adding a WR that early.

I have been saying this for quite some time now. But I must admit that I have grown to really like Jordy Nelson. If he is available in the 3rd, he would have to be looked at seriously, because that would be a steal IMO.

DACEB
04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
oh absolutley !!! .......the falcons have 3 picks in the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd.....i'd be callin them on draft day.:thumbsup:

I think this is the best oppurtunity. Hopefully the Falcons really want someone bad enough to trade up into the 1st.

I also think that the team is looking at that exact scenerio. It's possible that they are willing to gamble that either Cherilus, Groves, or Cason will be available in the early 2nd. That would allow them to get an extra pick while still landing a player they would have drafted at 1.23.

I also think it's a possibility they trade down in the 2nd. The 2nd round looks like a good round for CBs, LBs and DTs. The team might feel that the talent at those positions is close enough throughout the round that it can wait until later in the round, thus picking up an extra 3rd or 4th.

An extra 3rd or 4th round pick would be great because it would allow the team to draft for need and somewhat of a luxury pick. I'll use an example, the team may want to draft Langford in the 3rd. With an extra pick in the 3rd, the team could look at WR or RB. The team could also use the extra pick as ammo to move up and land a player they like in the 2nd day.

Steelers Since '75
04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
My dream draft has the Steelers trading down their 1st round for the Falcons 2nd and 3rd draft picks... then we grab Groves and Baker in the 2nd round then Nelson and Godfrey in the 3rd. After that I would like to see McGlynn, Zuttah, Schmitt in the mix...

Galax Steeler
04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
If albert is gone at 23 then I would say trade down with the falcons.

rdsovchen
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Good conversation so far.
Let's entertain a call from SF to swap first round picks, will they also give us their # 3 or 4th round pick to move up 6 spots? They can move ahead of Dallas Seattle and Tennessee to grab a high profile receiver and Groves could still be there for us at # 29. We can always use the extra pick...Lord knows how many more of our players will end up defendants in the courts.