PDA

View Full Version : Your all time favorite Steeler games.

zulater
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1975/0106_large.jpg

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089412/index.htm

I know this is going back a long way, but I'm an old fart and with SI opening up its vault I couldn't stop myself from sharing a favorite moment of my childhood. (14 at the time)

No one gave the Steelers a chance to win this game, and once they did I remember not being able to sleep all night in anticipation of what was to come. :tt02:

Of course at the time I had no idea that this was only the tip of the iceberg. But still in it's own way this one was more special than any of the others. Back then winning wasn't taken for granted or thought of as a birth right by Steeler fans as seems to be the case today. Not condemning anyone mind you, because you do have a right to demand excellence in your team. But still there was an innocence factor back then that will never be recaptured.

Steel Pit
04-14-2008, 01:47 AM
My favorite was a game that I attended, the 1994 playoff game versus the Cleveland Browns. We swept the season series and many NFL forecasters predicted that it is "very difficult to beat a good team 3 times in one season".

Whatever, my question to the forecasters was, "Who in the H E L L said that the Browns are a good team"? :sign03:

Rick97
04-14-2008, 05:10 AM
I've been following the Steelers since '93, and my favourite game isn't any of the great playoff-games, championship games or two Super Bowls Pittsburgh has appeared in since that time. The game that stands out in my mind is the 2004 regular season game against Jacksonville. The hitting was vicious, and the outcome wasn't decided until the very end. Does anyone else remember that game?

Besides, the Steelers vs Jaguars rivalry, to me, is far more valuable than any of the intra-division rivalries (the Browns are a non-factor, the Bengals are soft and the Ravens always lack the offensive firepower to be a true post-season threat). In 2005, the Steelers vs Jags game went into overtime, and in 2006 the score was a defensive struggle with a final score of 0-9 to the Jags. Pittsburgh-Jacksonville games are always memorable, perhaps because the Jags are basically Pittsburgh B, from the front office down (they only spent a lot of money in free agency this year to meet the minimum cap requirements) to the hard hitting on the field.

Watching these two teams is like watching that Superman movie where he split into two and battled himself.

steelersfanman92
04-14-2008, 05:41 AM
my favorite has to be the 2005 playoff game when the steelers beat the colts, considering I live in Indy

silver & black
04-14-2008, 06:06 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1975/0106_large.jpg

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089412/index.htm

I know this is going back a long way, but I'm an old fart and with SI opening up its vault I couldn't stop myself from sharing a favorite moment of my childhood. (14 at the time)

No one gave the Steelers a chance to win this game, and once they did I remember not being able to sleep all night in anticipation of what was to come. :tt02:

Of course at the time I had no idea that this was only the tip of the iceberg. But still in it's own way this one was more special than any of the others. Back then winning wasn't taken for granted or thought of as a birth right by Steeler fans as seems to be the case today. Not condemning anyone mind you, because you do have a right to demand excellence in your team. But still there was an innocence factor back then that will never be recaptured.

Good stuff. Thats when football was football... it will never be that good again. As an old Raiders fan since '68, I consider the Steelers- Raiders games to be the best there was in the 70's.

Galax Steeler
04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
I have to agree with the playoff game with indy that game was awsome.

zulater
04-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Good stuff. Thats when football was football... it will never be that good again. As an old Raiders fan since '68, I consider the Steelers- Raiders games to be the best there was in the 70's.

That was an amazing stretch between those two teams that I doubt will ever be duplicated. I mean think about it, one ended the other one's season for 5 consecutive calender years as they met in the playoffs at the conclusion of every season from 72-76 with the further distinction of facing off in 3 straght AFC title games. (74-76)

BTW nice to see another person who understands and appreciates the history of the game. :thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 08:29 AM
The AFC championship game when we beat the Colts lead by Harbough was a thrilling unforgettable game

HometownGal
04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Absolutely s&b. I don't believe there has been a more intense rivalry in the NFL since those 70's Steelers/Raiders games. :thumbsup:

I have so many favorite Steelers games, but the one that stands out in my mind is the 1984 playoff game against the 13-3 Broncs at Mile High. We had enough trouble getting into the playoffs that year, having to beat the LA Raiders on the last day of the regular season, finishing 9-7. Mark Malone was behind center and the Steelers battled the Broncos hard and kept coming and coming, with the game tied at 17 going deep into the 4th Q. With 2 minutes left in the game and the Broncs in possession, Elway throws downfield and his pass is picked off by Eric Williams who ran it all the way back to the Broncs' 2 YL. Frank Pollard scored the winning TD and the Steelers went on to win that game 24-17! :tt02: One of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

revefsreleets
04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
2005 AFCCG by far. Nobody gave us a chance, it was a forgone conclusion that the Colts were going to blow us out, and we came out and just kicked their asses up one end of the field and down the other. I distinctly remember at halftime being as proud as I ever was to be a Steelers fan. There were many other great wins in the past, and the SB's are great, but something about that game remains remarkable to me...

Godfather
04-14-2008, 09:33 AM
The 1989 playoff win over Houston. That was an awesome game. Plus, since I'm not old enough to remember the Super Steeler era, that was my first big time playoff experience (well, 1984 but 1989 offered hope that we were on the way up and not on the way down).

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
2005 AFCCG by far. Nobody gave us a chance, it was a forgone conclusion that the Colts were going to blow us out, and we came out and just kicked their asses up one end of the field and down the other. I distinctly remember at halftime being as proud as I ever was to be a Steelers fan. There were many other great wins in the past, and the SB's are great, but something about that game remains remarkable to me...

We played the Broncos in the AFCCG, not the Colts. That was the divisional round

PisnNapalm
04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
One game I know I'd like to watch again was played at Miami. I think it was in the late 80's or early 90's. It rained so hard that water was filling the field like a bowl. The drainage system couldn't handle it.

It was hysterical to watch!

Edman
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
The 2005 Divisional playoff against Indy.

The Colts drubbed the Steelers earlier that year on Monday Night and walked into that game as heavy favorites. What better way to get revenge on them. So many memorable moments. The missed field goal, missed INT call, Bus' fumble, The Tackle. A thrilling and satisfying game.

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Superbowl over the Seahawks, because it gave us a 5th Ring.

I enjoyed the Steelers at Dallas game in 04. Vinny T fumbled late in the game on 3rd down, Kimo picked it up and rambled toward the Dallas endzone. the offense came in and got the ball down to inside the 5. Bus comes in, the 10,000 Steelers fans on hand stood as one as the Bus came onto the field, towels waving, screaming, cheering, he gets the ball, and Scores and the place errupted. My wife, finally felt the power of the Steelers nation as we were at that game, as a b-day gift to me. There we were hugging complete strangers, in a strange city, watching our Steelers defeat our hated Rival the Cowboys, on their own turf. Our D held their last attempt to score, we won. I walked out beeming, and the wife truly became a Steelers fan that day.

What a great game.

Edman
04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Besides, the Steelers vs Jaguars rivalry, to me, is far more valuable than any of the intra-division rivalries (the Browns are a non-factor, the Bengals are soft and the Ravens always lack the offensive firepower to be a true post-season threat). In 2005, the Steelers vs Jags game went into overtime, and in 2006 the score was a defensive struggle with a final score of 0-9 to the Jags. Pittsburgh-Jacksonville games are always memorable, perhaps because the Jags are basically Pittsburgh B, from the front office down (they only spent a lot of money in free agency this year to meet the minimum cap requirements) to the hard hitting on the field.

Watching these two teams is like watching that Superman movie where he split into two and battled himself.

Yeah, but Superman always seemed to manage to get the best of his clone. The Steelers haven't beaten the Jags since 2004 and lost 4 straight games. Including two embarrassments on Monday Night 2006 and at home last year. Not something to be proud of.

This Steelers/Jags "rivalry" is a one-sided embarrassment at this point.

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Everytime we beat the Browns and Bengals, I feel good inside. Its like eating birthday cake or drinking that first sip of coffee in the morning on a clear blue Sunday in the Spring. aaaaah...so good.

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
oh shoot, I forgot my alltime favorite game!

The 2003 wildcard playoff game vs the Browns. We were down 17 in the 4th quarter and came back to win. Best game by far i have ever been to. Half the friggin stadium left but those who stayed were going crazy

Who else was there??????????????????

BlastFurnace
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
My favorite was the opening game of the 1982 season against the Cowboys in Dallas. Every single friend of mine harassed and teased me that we were going to get blown out of the water from the time the schedule was announced a couple of months prior. It was relentless and they..."just knew" that the Cowboys would never lose to the Steelers...especially when the Cowboys had won 17 straight on opening day or something like that.

When Bradshaw hit Stallworth with that long pass early in the game, I knew I was going to get my revenge the next day on the school bus. We won that game and I wore my Rocky Bleier jersey to school the next day.

atrus20
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
The AFC championship game when we beat the Colts lead by Harbough was a thrilling unforgettable game

That is my favorite one too. At first I thought the Colts caught the ball in the endzone until I saw the ref waving it off as incomplete. It felt like I held my breathe for hours until I saw the official call.

stlrtruck
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
The 2002 playoff game against the clowns. I remember it vividly it was the moment my girlfriend (ended up being my wife) found out how hardcore of a fan I truly was. Five minutes to go in the game and her friend exits to smoke and play with the kids. The Steelers were trailing when she left. Now take into account that she was wearing a browns color sweater (didn't say browns on it, just the crap color). So with two minutes to go the Steelers had taken the lead and she wanted to come back in the house and I wouldn't open the door for her. She looks at the g/f and says, "Is he serious?" I answered back, "Why are you asking her, she doesn't live here!" Needless to say she stayed outside until I was sure the game was over and we won!!!

jjpro11
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
the 02 playoffs vs cleveland. man was that exhausting to watch. it broke so many hearts here in cleveland. lol. the 04 playoff game vs the jets was another wild one nobody mentioned.

millwalldavey
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
11/6/04. Steelers 27, Crows (Philly) 3

All I head for 3 months is everything the Eagles were gonna do... The 21-0 lead was beauty, as was Hines doing the Dirty Bird!

Super Bowl XL is prolly 1B. I met my sweetie right after!

19ward86
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
The comeback win against Cleveland this year, they thought they would break the 5 year streak...yeaaaaa, didnt happen quite that way.

Hapa
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Those 2 close games this year against cin and then cleveland. (i just started watching NFL intensely this year)

beSteelmyheart
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I've been following the Steelers since '93, and my favourite game isn't any of the great playoff-games, championship games or two Super Bowls Pittsburgh has appeared in since that time. The game that stands out in my mind is the 2004 regular season game against Jacksonville. The hitting was vicious, and the outcome wasn't decided until the very end. Does anyone else remember that game?

If we're talking about the same game, at Jacksonville, I went to that one, it was my first "live" Steelers game!!! And the Black n Gold just took over that stadium, it was awesome!:tt03: I didn't go to the next one in Jacksonville because the Jags organization raised such a big stink over having the stadium taken over by Steelers fans that they were being pussies about ticket sales, so I boycotted that one. We will be going this year, I can't wait to see what the schedule is so we can plan our season. And this time we wont be in "peanut heaven"!lol
I'll also have to make the 2 hour trip to see them kick the crap out of the Browns to make the man happy, but oh well.
Anyway, besides that game, it's gotta be the playoff game against the Colts. Watching our D repeatedly sack Manning was poetry.

NJarhead
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I can't pick a favorite, but I really enjoyed the one time we actually beat the Patriots: Halloween in 2004. It was 14-0 right off the bat (Thank you Deshea) and I was still really bitter about the Pats then. I loved watching the Steelers kick their ass. I just hung the candy on the door with a note for the kids who no doubt heard me and my buddy Chris screaming our heads off. :tt02:

zulater
04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
:tt:My most favorite recent game would have to be our AFC title game win over the Broncos a couple years back. The Steelers were firing on all cylinders that game and really took it to the Broncos in the second quarter.

I wish the Steelers had executed that well in SB XL. Oh well at least they won.

SteelerFanInATL
04-20-2008, 08:19 AM
oh shoot, I forgot my alltime favorite game!

The 2003 wildcard playoff game vs the Browns. We were down 17 in the 4th quarter and came back to win. Best game by far i have ever been to. Half the friggin stadium left but those who stayed were going crazy

Who else was there??????????????????

I definately agree with your choice as it is my favorite also. TOMMYGUN was going nuts. What makes that game standout is that it was not the norm for Steeler Football.
Not just a come from behind win, but down 17 pts in the 4th qtr. I was going crazy watching the game here in ATL (DirecTV). Truely my favorite Steelers game.
:tt02: :tt03: :tt:

Steel Buckeye
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
A few of my favorites include Super Bowl XL, the 2005 divisional game against the Colts, and the 2004 game against the Cowboys.

I also should mention the 41-0 embarrassment of the Browns in 2005.

zulater
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I definately agree with your choice as it is my favorite also. TOMMYGUN was going nuts. What makes that game standout is that it was not the norm for Steeler Football.
Not just a come from behind win, but down 17 pts in the 4th qtr. I was going crazy watching the game here in ATL (DirecTV). Truely my favorite Steelers game.
:tt02: :tt03: :tt:

That was an exciting game no doubt, but the Steelers played too poorly for it to be one of my favorites. Just remembering that defensive backfield of Brent Alexander, Hank Poteat, Dewayne Washington, and Lee Flowers makes me want to puke.

zulater
04-21-2008, 02:31 PM
In no particuliar order here's my favorite Steeler games from 90 on.

2005 divisional playoff win over Indy.

AFC title game over Broncos.

2001 divisional playoff win over Ravens.

94 divisional playoff win over Browns

2007 MNF win over Ravens

2005 reg season win over Chargers

2005 win over Bears

2004 wins over Patriots and Eagles on consecutive weeks. ( so I cheated and combined them) lol

97 reg. season win over Broncos

95 divisional playoff win over Buffalo

94 MNF win over Bills.

Is that 10 yet? I could go on and on and on, but I'm sure no one wants that.:chuckle:

Virginia Steeler
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Besides the playoff games ---

The 2005 win over the Bears...

Chicago at Pittsburgh in the muddy snow --- now that's football....

The Bears had won 8 straight and Pittsburgh had lost 3 in a row and needed to win out just to make the playoffs

Bettis went bananas - 17 carries for 101 yards - 2 scores...no turnovers, solid defense, dominated time of possession - simply put, they played Steelers football.

21-9 Steelers in a game that was not as close as the final score.

Does anyone have this game on DVD?

zulater
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Besides the playoff games ---

The 2005 win over the Bears...

Chicago at Pittsburgh in the muddy snow --- now that's football....

The Bears had won 8 straight and Pittsburgh had lost 3 in a row and needed to win out just to make the playoffs

Bettis went bananas - 17 carries for 101 yards - 2 scores...no turnovers, solid defense, dominated time of possession - simply put, they played Steelers football.

21-9 Steelers in a game that was not as close as the final score.

Does anyone have this game on DVD?

I think you can get the whole season including the playoffs on DVD directly from the Steelers.

geo111
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
One game I know I'd like to watch again was played at Miami. I think it was in the late 80's or early 90's. It rained so hard that water was filling the field like a bowl. The drainage system couldn't handle it.

It was hysterical to watch!

This is one of my favorites as well.

klick81
04-24-2008, 11:10 AM
These are all great games. Anyone have youtube links to any of these?

faneca05
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
How about that week 12 game against the dolphins last year. Easily the most exciting game of the season!

:rofl:

steeltheone
04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
02' PLAYOFF GAME OVER CLEVELAND. FREEZING COLD. ONE BIG MOSH PIT IN THE UPPER DECK!

BettisFan
04-24-2008, 10:11 PM
2005 game vs the colts in the playoffs!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
there was a game quite a few years ago against the patriots...seems like the steelers won 6-3. if i recall correctly the steelers stuffed the patriots on 4 straight attempts inside the 1 yard line (i believe drew bledsoe was QB) in the last minute of the game. anyone remember this one?

Rhee Rhee
04-25-2008, 02:16 AM
'07 playoff game loss to jax...

never seen a more exciting game. EVER

that game showed us how good BR is and how good holmes, ward and heath can be toegether... just imagine if we had willie parker that game...

madsteelerfan51
04-26-2008, 03:42 AM
My Favorite game was in 2005 when they beat the Colts