PDA

View Full Version : Is Bob Labriola crazy?!

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok so I am taking my daily look on nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com) and I see that nfl.com just came out with their mock draft. Ok so I go to look for the steelers and each team has a video for their pick, i was expecting to see Albert.....but no lol i see that Bob Labriola says we are going to pick Jonathan Stewart the Running back out of oregon! Now this was a very big shock to me but i would be ok with it i guess, if albert was gone i mean I really dont understand why we would get stewart unless we are drafting by who the best player then ok. Here is the link to the video http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807b54c8 What do you guys think?

Give It To Abercrombie
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
He is the only running back (who could realistically be there) that I would be ok with taking at 23. But if he's there I'd love to have him, that would be one hell of a tag-team at RB. Power backs tend to make O-lines look a little better than they are too.

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Yea Willie and Stewart! I also dont think that turf toe surgery should effect him much at all. So i guess its a go if he is there and albert is gone.

Elvis
04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
:hatsoff:
I wouldnt mind having Stewart as a backup to Willie. But there must not be a valuable DE or DB left for us to select. I like the way Stewart runs and he would, or atleast I think, run the ball like the physical Steelers of the past..." Bam Morris, Barry Foster, Bettis" used to do. But I think that DE and DB or Kenny Phillips the S from Miami, Fla would take this pick of Stewart away I would think.
:tt:

Rhee Rhee
04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
But I think that DE and DB or Kenny Phillips the S from Miami, Fla would take this pick of Stewart away I would think.[/I][/B]
:tt:

good picks my friend!

aside from the DE from miami, replace him with Phillip Merling the DE from Clemson and your spot on... i'd RATHER have merling or kenny phillips over stewart but hey if the FO decides on stewart i have no problems with that...

Big7BenHOF
04-16-2008, 12:55 AM
If all of the top tier linemen are gone at 23, then yes, I think it's a fine pick.

Steeldude
04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
how would a RB or WR in the 1st round help the steelers problems at OL and DL?

i would rather see what gary russell can do before wasting the 1st pick on a RB.

ShutDown24
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Honestly, despite popular beliefe, Stewart probably won't be there. If he was, we should take him.

lilyoder6
04-16-2008, 01:21 PM
i wouldn't want to draft the s from maimi.. we alrdy have 3 safeties who can play.. if alber tis gone rather go w/ stewart or a cb or de

rbryan
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
We already have a pro bowl RB that we didn't need to use a pick on.

RB's are never worth a top pick IMO (see above) especially if your OL is suspect to begin with. Trade up and get the last guy left between Albert, Williams,Cherilus, or maybe even Otah.

Steel Buckeye
04-19-2008, 01:52 AM
No. Drafting a RB with the first pick would be very stupid. The Steelers need to address the O-line!!! We have Willie, Kreider, Davenport, Carey Davis, and Gary Russell. How about a replacement for Faneca, or Willie Colon who allowed 12.5 sacks in 2007? How do you expect our franchise QB to continue to play with no pass protection? I will be very pissed if the Steelers waste their first rounder on a RB when we don't even need one.

tsmartnick
04-19-2008, 02:22 AM
hey rbryan i was just wondering, i see it alot, but what does IMO stand for? i would love stewart in the first hes big and powerful, and actually a very good return man then we could go, rachal in 2 and red bryant 3 and jordy nelson or jerome simpson in 4, that is more like a fantasy draft though, but i would love that

Galax Steeler
04-19-2008, 06:03 AM
I think we should take the best player available as long as it's not a qb or te.

Texasteel
04-19-2008, 06:16 AM
I think we should take the best player available as long as it's not a qb or te.

Its hard for me to argue with BAP. Just that most of us with have a different oppinion who that is.

7 Days To Go.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-19-2008, 07:16 AM
No. Drafting a RB with the first pick would be very stupid. The Steelers need to address the O-line!!! We have Willie, Kreider, Davenport, Carey Davis, and Gary Russell. How about a replacement for Faneca, or Willie Colon who allowed 12.5 sacks in 2007? How do you expect our franchise QB to continue to play with no pass protection? I will be very pissed if the Steelers waste their first rounder on a RB when we don't even need one.

We don't even need one? How good was that running game after Willie got hurt? What if his injury had been in week 2, how do you think our ground game would have ranked? I am not suggesting we should take Stewart if several good linemen are there but I certainly wouldn't call it stupid.

So are first round linemen locks? Just because we draft a guy in the first round like Cherilus, does that automatically mean he'll be better than Collins in the second or Barton in the fourth for example?

Personally I hope our first three picks (in any order) are offensive tackle, defensive line (DE or DT) and cornerback.

IMO = In My Opinion

rbryan
04-19-2008, 09:33 AM
No player is a lock, all the more reason to go OL or DL early and often in this draft. I have nothing against Stewart, I just don't think any RB, let alone one with a bad wheel is worth a first rounder. With the OL we have now you could reincarnate Walter Payton and he'd be a bust. It always starts up front, football 101.

millwalldavey
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Iv'e been thinking about this the last few days...this draft is gonna be scary...

I think the needs are on OL and DL, even at CB. Problem is, at 23, will there be anyone left of first round caliber to pick to fill these needs? I think its a waste of first round money to grab a player we need to fill a void, that we could easily have in rd. 2. Some of these o-linemen (Otha and Cherilus for example) could fall into rd.2 from what I see. Do you give them 1st rd. $$$ if they may not pan out, or worse yet, if they will be there later?

Is it a better option to take the best player available @ 23 even if it does not fit one of these major needs? I was dead set against and RB or WR for a while, but I'm starting to think if one of the top ones is still there @ 23, we should take a flyer on him.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
No player is a lock, all the more reason to go OL or DL early and often in this draft. I have nothing against Stewart, I just don't think any RB, let alone one with a bad wheel is worth a first rounder. With the OL we have now you could reincarnate Walter Payton and he'd be a bust. It always starts up front, football 101.

Thanks, I'm stuck in remedial Football. Hoping to take 101 next semester.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks, I'm stuck in remedial Football. Hoping to take 101 next semester.

If Walter Payton would be a bust, does that mean that Willie Parker is that much better than 'Sweetness'? He was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt.....

Rhee Rhee
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
We don't even need one? How good was that running game after Willie got hurt? What if his injury had been in week 2, how do you think our ground game would have ranked? I am not suggesting we should take Stewart if several good linemen are there but I certainly wouldn't call it stupid.

So are first round linemen locks? Just because we draft a guy in the first round like Cherilus, does that automatically mean he'll be better than Collins in the second or Barton in the fourth for example?

Personally I hope our first three picks (in any order) are offensive tackle, defensive line (DE or DT) and cornerback.

IMO = In My Opinion

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank You!!

Stewart in the first doesn't seem all that bad does it buckeye :wink02:

revefsreleets
04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I have us taking Stewart at 23 if he's there.

Why? He's big. He's strong. He's fast. He can catch. He's a workhorse. Most importantly he's a quiet unassuming kid, and there will be no off-field issues. If he's there at 23 (and he probably won't be...turf toe surgery ain't that big of a thang), we'd be foolish not to take him. We'd have thunder and lightning for at least the next 3 years.

rbryan
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM
If Walter Payton would be a bust, does that mean that Willie Parker is that much better than 'Sweetness'? He was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt.....

I guess I had that coming...lol. Lets just agree to disagree and I'll spare everyone the football 101 reference from now on. When debating the draft, there is no way of proving how things would have turned out had we taken someone else. So my opinion obviously has no more merit than anyone elses.

I'll still be there on Sundays, even if we take Stewart #1....lol

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I'll still be there on Sundays, even if we take Stewart #1....lol

Sounds good. And if you listen very carefully you may even hear me screaming at my tv when we score!

:drink:

BettisFan
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Sounds good. And if you listen very carefully you may even hear me screaming at my tv when we score!

:drink:

hahaha me too man