PDA

View Full Version : Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351171,00.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio ? Forget about passing notes in study hall; some teens are now using their cell phones to flirt and send nude pictures of themselves.

The instant text, picture and video messages have become part of some teens' courtship behavior, police and school officials said.

The messages often spread quickly and sometimes find their way to public Web sites.

"I've seen everything from your basic striptease to sexual acts being performed," said Reynoldsburg police Detective Brian Marvin, a member of the FBI Cyber Crime Task Force of Central Ohio. "You name it, they will do it at their home under this perceived anonymity."

Westerville Central High School senior Jerome Ray said he's received such unsolicited messages, including one from a classmate while he was sitting with his girlfriend.

"A lot more girls are aggressive," said Ray, 18. "Some girls are crazy and they are putting themselves out there."

Candice Kelsey, a teacher from California, said some teenage girls think they have to be provocative to get boys' attention. As a result, they will send photos they hope their parents never see.

"This happens a lot," said Kelsey, author of Generation MySpace: Helping Your Teen Survive Online Adolescence. "It crosses every racial socio-economic group. Christian kids are doing it. Jewish kids are doing it."

Male teens are also doing it.

For instance, a central Ohio high school teen made a sexual cell phone video of himself and sent it to female classmates. One of the girls forward the Westerville South High School's video to at least 30 other people.

A study last year found teens are placing more of an emphasis on image and fame than in the past. Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University who studies young people's trends, found that teens are more confident and assertive than ever before.

"Adolescents are not known for thinking things through ? that's a generational constant," she said. "Now, with the technology that is out there, instead of taking a picture and passing it around the classroom, it's online, which is a whole different ball game. (Teens) don't see it that way."

Mark Raiff, a principal at Columbus' Olentangy Liberty High School, said some of his students and their cell phones have caused trouble.

"They don't see anything wrong with it," he said. "It leaves me speechless."

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Kids with cell phones, still makes no sense to me. Of coarse they will abuse the cell phones and use them in unbelievable ways. They are freaking Teenagers!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Kids with cell phones, still makes no sense to me. Of coarse they will abuse the cell phones and use them in unbelievable ways. They are freaking Teenagers!

Bingo!!! I have a 14 yo son and a 13 yo daughter....I see no reason why they would "need" a cell phone....If they are going to be somewhere that they need to call me, either my wife or I will lend them one of our phones.

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I had a job at 16 making decent money. Now this was at a time before camera phones and all the current technology, but you have to imagine that some of these kids pay for the phones themselves.

I'm certainly not defending what they're doing, but you can only protect them for so long. As long as you're raising your kids right, you have to have some faith that they'll make the right decisions.

ShutDown24
04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I had a job at 16 making decent money. Now this was at a time before camera phones and all the current technology, but you have to imagine that some of these kids pay for the phones themselves.

I'm certainly not defending what they're doing, but you can only protect them for so long. As long as you're raising your kids right, you have to have some faith that they'll make the right decisions.

That's exactly right.

CB1977
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Thank you! Well said!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

..and as a parent couldnt you say..."yes you can have a phone...but not a camera phone"?

I can specifically remember my Mother keeping me from going to an all-nighter when I was in high-school....I asked her "Do you think I'm irresponsible?".....Her answer has stuck with me forever...she said..."No, I think your 17."

Most mistakes are made out of naivity and inexperience...not out of stupidity or irresponsibility... raising my kids right doesnt give them any more experience or make them any more mature than nature intended...Its my job to help my kids through that.

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
..and as a parent couldnt you say..."yes you can have a phone...but not a camera phone"?

I can specifically remember my Mother keeping me from going to an all-nighter when I was in high-school....I asked her "Do you think I'm irresponsible?".....Her answer has stuck with me forever...she said..."No, I think your 17."

Most mistakes are made out of naivity and inexperience...not out of stupidity or irresponsibility... raising my kids right doesnt give them any more experience or make them any more mature than nature intended...Its my job to help my kids through that.

You can say that, but if they're paying the bills, how much control do you really have?

Yes, you need to guide and protect, but that can only go so far. Especially in today's society.

stlrtruck
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
You can say that, but if they're paying the bills, how much control do you really have?

Yes, you need to guide and protect, but that can only go so far. Especially in today's society.

My mother and father once told me, "It may be your room but it's our roof."

Basically what it came down to was if I didn't respect their rules of the house I could find a new place to live (even at the age of 17). Didn't matter if I bought the item or paid the bill.

So to answer your question, I have a lot of control in my house. So much I've ripped controllers and phones out of my kid's hands - in less than a nan-second. And while they complain to their mother that I'm being too hard on them, I explain to them that if they listen and obey the rules and guidelines of the house - life won't be so hard!

And while my wife and I have done our Godly best to raise our children, it is still their immaturity that shines through from time to time. Example, you can tell your kids not to smoke pot a 1,000 times but when the pressure is on and you're not around - what are they doing? I know what I did.

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM

I have a funny feeling, just a hunch, that the kids sending naked photos to each other on their cell phones, aren't the same responsible kids that have jobs that pay for the usage of their own cell phones.

Not saying all, but I'd guess that most of these teens with Cell phones that are abusing the priveledge of having a cell phone, aren't the same kind of kids that would be responsible enough to keep a good paying job at the age of 16 or 17. More than likely, we are looking a trend in our society where Parents, thinking that having their kids on Cell phone speed dial is a good parenting tool, are buying their kids top end cell phone models, simply because they want the best for their child.

Just a hunch, I may be way off base. But to a teenager, its a lot more fun, and easy to mis-use something someone else is paying for, than running up your own minutes, and your own bills.

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
A teenager paying his own car insurance is more than likely not to break driving rules, knowing it'll hurt his own pocket, as opposed to the teens who's parents bail them out and pay for everything.

Same theory applies to cell phones, and basically anything when it involves teenagers.

but that's just my theory.

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a funny feeling, just a hunch, that the kids sending naked photos to each other on their cell phones, aren't the same responsible kids that have jobs that pay for the usage of their own cell phones.

Not saying all, but I'd guess that most of these teens with Cell phones that are abusing the priveledge of having a cell phone, aren't the same kind of kids that would be responsible enough to keep a good paying job at the age of 16 or 17. More than likely, we are looking a trend in our society where Parents, thinking that having their kids on Cell phone speed dial is a good parenting tool, are buying their kids top end cell phone models, simply because they want the best for their child.

Just a hunch, I may be way off base. But to a teenager, its a lot more fun, and easy to mis-use something someone else is paying for, than running up your own minutes, and your own bills.

Based on my own experience, I think you're dead wrong. But that's only an opinion.

TroysBadDawg
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Lets just say that in Troy Junior High School there are naked pictures making there way around. And these are 7th and 8th grade girls that are doing it. One is now a Freshman cheerleader and I asked her former BF and he told me yes it was her, but while he was dating her she was sending pics to others.

So it is just not high school kids doing it.

Now all my boys have camera phones, due to the amount of sports they are involved and time away from home. Three boys three different team three different cities at times all play select baseball plus they have paper routes. Delivering papers at 6:00 AM the phones have come in handy. to call the police for an attempted theft, a house fire and the youngest being bit by a dog and the family refuse to call us for him. Thank God he called on his phone then he called 911 ... smart boy. The police beat us there so did the dog warden. They canceled the paper,said he invaded their privacy. Don't know how but they said it .

We do check the phone on who is called and when and what pictures are on them. We go by the same saying, "your room, our roof." but we add "live with it."

Dino 6 Rings
04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Based on my own experience, I think you're dead wrong. But that's only an opinion.

Yeah, well from my own experience, I am of the belief that people who pay their own way tend not to abuse what they have to pay for.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM

Gee...let me think....I have the keys to the car...and control over everything under my roof....Not to mention the fact that my kids KNOW if they try and pull the "I can go anywhere I want" card on me...I have 45 friends who are cops who would be happy to file a runaway report and snatch their happy ass back to my house.

besides all that....If a parent isnt smart enough or aware enough to see that their 14 yo daughter identifies herself as a "sexual being"....then they are probably part of the problem.

Those that fall into the "culture of sex" and start dressing their daughters up like tramps at the age of 8-9 (and if you dont see this, you are blind to what is going on around you) shouldnt be surprised when their daughters dont identify themselves with positive traits but rather with outward appearance and popularity and a NEED to be validated in those areas

verks36
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I am a teenager and they act like every single person is doing that kind of stuff. Maybe its the school i got to but thats stuff doesnt really happen or it doesnt happen nearly as much as they make it out to be

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, well from my own experience, I am of the belief that people who pay their own way tend not to abuse what they have to pay for.

Right on the money!!!...One rarely appreciates what one didnt work for...good observation.

vasteeler
04-15-2008, 10:44 AM
m y son is 3 i cant imagine what will be going on when he is a teenager fotunatley i am an older father so hopefully i will be out of my mind by then

MACH1
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Bingo...When I was in high school for a summer job I had to move pipe on my uncles farm and what I did buy with the money I made, I took care of it. And especially didn't abuse it and have the parents take it away because I worked to hard to get it.

And for those of you who don't know what moving pipe is. Its 4'' sprinkler pipe hand lines and each piece of pipe are 50' long. I had 8 lines to move twice a day at 1/2 mile long. Thats 4 miles of pipe. And yes the money burned holes in my pockets.:burning: But I learned to appreciate things a whole lot more than if somebody bought it for me.

Now back on topic.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Lets just say that in Troy Junior High School there are naked pictures making there way around. And these are 7th and 8th grade girls that are doing it. One is now a Freshman cheerleader and I asked her former BF and he told me yes it was her, but while he was dating her she was sending pics to others.

So it is just not high school kids doing it.

Now all my boys have camera phones, due to the amount of sports they are involved and time away from home. Three boys three different team three different cities at times all play select baseball plus they have paper routes. Delivering papers at 6:00 AM the phones have come in handy. to call the police for an attempted theft, a house fire and the youngest being bit by a dog and the family refuse to call us for him. Thank God he called on his phone then he called 911 ... smart boy. The police beat us there so did the dog warden. They canceled the paper,said he invaded their privacy. Don't know how but they said it .

We do check the phone on who is called and when and what pictures are on them. We go by the same saying, "your room, our roof." but we add "live with it."

Beautiful.:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
"Now part of" implying that it's a requisite.

"Experts say".

"Fox News Reports".

This might as well be a story about Bat Boy aiding troops in Iraq. Bat Boy actually might be more credible.

Newzfoxjr
04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I've been sent stuff like that and recently a girl at a school near me did it and they spread throughout the school.. It was horrible.

SteelCityMan786
04-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I happen to be a teen who is a cell phone user, but I have to share it with my mother. Something I really don't mind doing. But personally I believe kids in my generation sometimes do use cell phones above what is considered appropriate. No one in my hometown I believe has went that far. However I won't be stunned if this happens.

Personally i think kids should be allowed to have cell phones, but must habe some sorta of supervision from their parents using it up to a certain age such as 16 or 17 then it eventually dies off up till when they reach 18.

Kids unfortunately are going to even more desperate measures to get the girl or in the girls case get the guy(at least the majority) they want. I wll say this, I think that if kids are not taught what cell phones are actually for such as communication or taking normal photography such as sharing pictures of games, humorus moments, etc. They don't use the mature approach of just being themself while attempting to do the little wooing things. Sending pictures of themselves naked is too far.

BettisFan
04-15-2008, 10:36 PM
ahhhhh i love highschool ;)

CantStop85
04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
If your kid is sending naked pictures of themself on their cell phone, the problem is much bigger than the cell phone.

MasterOfPuppets
04-15-2008, 10:43 PM
If your kid is sending naked pictures of themself on their cell phone, the problem is much bigger than the cell phone. i agree....they need a digital camera !!! :laughing:

tony hipchest
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
meanwhile... in a land far far away, non american kids are doing crazy stuff too (like actually learning)-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080415/sc_afp/spaceastronomygermany_080415214429

German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures:

BERLIN (AFP) - A 13-year-old German schoolboy corrected NASA's estimates on the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, a German newspaper reported Tuesday, after spotting the boffins had miscalculated.

Nico Marquardt used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics in Potsdam (AIP) to calculate that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth, the Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported.

NASA had previously estimated the chances at only 1 in 45,000 but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the young whizzkid had got it right.

stlrtruck
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
meanwhile... in a land far far away, non american kids are doing crazy stuff too (like actually learning)-
[/B]

That sounds more like teaching to me. :rofl:

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 09:25 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080415/sc_afp/spaceastronomygermany_080415214429

German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures:
Interesting. When I was in school, Friday and Saturday night the bars would be filled with all the American kids, while the library was filled with foreign students studying. Tough to compete with that...

I was, of course, in the library (cough cough) studying with them....

tony hipchest
04-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Interesting. When I was in school, Friday and Saturday night the bars would be filled with all the American kids, while the library was filled with foreign students studying. Tough to compete with that...

I was, of course, in the library (cough cough) studying with them....

hehehe.

its funny, jr high for me coincided with the beginning of the NINTENDO phenomenon.

i had a crazy notion that maybe the japanese had invented it to wage a secret war on america by poisoning the minds of our youth, and turning them into fat, lazy, ADD medicated, zombies who dont have the attention span (or desire) to sit through a class, read a book, or study. :popcorn:

while we were learning to play their games, their children were learning to write the programs for them. :doh:

of course you can think up some pretty wild shit as a 12 year old, spending hours and days repeating the same pattern trying to master super mario bros.

this cellphone stuff is just a natural progression of our deterioration.

stlrtruck
04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
this cellphone stuff is just a natural progression of our deterioration.

Isn't that an oxymoron "progression of our deterioration"?

Only you Tony (well maybe George Carlin) :hatsoff:

Dino 6 Rings
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
One of the things I enjoy about movies made in the 90s or prior, is that no one in them has a cell phone planted next to their head.

Cell phones are just a waist of energy and time. Sure, in an emergency, they come in handy. But otherwise, they are just another un needed bill and crutch to keep people from being truly social, and living in a pretend world, like Texting all day or being in an online Forum...oh wait...scratch that last part

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
One of the things I enjoy about movies made in the 90s or prior, is that no one in them has a cell phone planted next to their head.

Cell phones are just a waist of energy and time. Sure, in an emergency, they come in handy. But otherwise, they are just another un needed bill and crutch to keep people from being truly social, and living in a pretend world, like Texting all day or being in an online Forum...oh wait...scratch that last part

I have to drive across the college campus to pick up my kids after I get off work...probably 8 out of every 10 students are on their cellphones.

Remember the big white boxy cellphone that looked like a military crank phone?...Took up half of Zack Morris's locker on Saved By The Bell.:laughing:

steelpinstripe72
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
If your kid is sending naked pictures of themself on their cell phone, the problem is much bigger than the cell phone.

Absolutely. It's like, fine, you (the general you) wanted kids, but there's this little thing called parenting and people really need to try it. I'm getting a little sick and tired of people blaming bad behavior on technology all the time. I had a cell phone in high school (before the camera phone, but still), and there was never a problem. Like SM786, I don't see a problem with teens having cell phones as long as it's not a free-for-all.

I actually got my cell out of necessity after the school administration fell flat on their face after a bomb scare. They basically let everyone go without checking where they were going, if they had rides, etc. I have cerebral palsy and home was about 20 miles away from the school. It was 8 AM, so nothing was open. Sub-freezing temperatures and I had to try to walk home. Parents had no idea where I was. They got me a cell phone a week later.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Absolutely. It's like, fine, you (the general you) wanted kids, but there's this little thing called parenting and people really need to try it. I'm getting a little sick and tired of people blaming bad behavior on technology all the time. I had a cell phone in high school (before the camera phone, but still), and there was never a problem. Like SM786, I don't see a problem with teens having cell phones as long as it's not a free-for-all.

I actually got my cell out of necessity after the school administration fell flat on their face after a bomb scare. They basically let everyone go without checking where they were going, if they had rides, etc. I have cerebral palsy and home was about 20 miles away from the school. It was 8 AM, so nothing was open. Sub-freezing temperatures and I had to try to walk home. Parents had no idea where I was. They got me a cell phone a week later.

Exactly...too many parents are so worried about their child being percieved as "popular"...that they cultivate the wrong self-image into their children.

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
It's weird when you watch new movies that are period pieces...you can identify them by the lack of cellphones, or people actually using pay phones.

Dino 6 Rings
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
cellphones are the newest cigarettes. You watch, soon people will be suing for brain tumors.

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Speaking of, I noticed in the movie "The Number 23" (which I assume is set in the present day), nobody had a cell phone, which was odd. And in "No Country For Old Men", which was set in 1980, nobody smoked, when about 75% of people smoked back then.

srk173
04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Any hot adults wanna trade nudes?!!!!!

TheWarDen86
04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Awwwwe Man! This thread is NOT AT ALL what I thought.

All I saw was "Trading Nude Photos ."

:wink02: