PDA

View Full Version : Nate Washington signs Free Agent Contract

Elvis
04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Steelers' Washington signs one-year contract
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Wide receiver Nate Washington today signed the one-year contract tendered him by the Steelers as a restricted free agent. He will earn $1,417,000 in 2008.
Also today, inside linebacker Philip Wheeler of Georgia Tech and defensive end/linebacker Jason Jones of Eastern Michigan are the latest two college prospects to visit the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I would have liked to have seen Nate signed to a 3 year deal. Either way, we will see an even more focused Nate this season.

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
wow thats a short deal, i guess they really want to see him have a great year and if not bye bye nate, its sad but i really like nate i think he can prove himself.

Dino 6 Rings
04-16-2008, 03:39 PM
A 1 year deal motivates him to work harder. Nothing should be "given" to unproven talent.

revefsreleets
04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Jason Jones would be a nice addition. The MAC has produced some pretty good defensive talent over the years. (James Harrison, Jason Taylor two right off the top of my head)

tony hipchest
04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Jason Jones would be a nice addition. The MAC has produced some pretty good defensive talent over the years. (James Harrison, Jason Taylor two right off the top of my head)what do you know about him? pat kirwan has us selecting him in the 2nd round of his mock. however in his DE rankings he has him 9th or 11th overall and as a projected 3rd or 4th rounder. that had me stumped.

verks36
04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling this is nate's year

If either Ward or Holmes gets injured I really think the extra playing time he would thrive in

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I have a feeling this is nate's year

If either Ward or Holmes gets injured I really think the extra playing time he would thrive in

yea i dont know why but i have felt the same way, i just think nate can really show that he is a number 2 receiver in the nfl, so when ward goes (retirement or FA) then nate will take over at number 2.

Galax Steeler
04-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Hopefully this will be the year that nate really steps up and can show what he can do.

revefsreleets
04-17-2008, 08:42 AM
what do you know about him? pat kirwan has us selecting him in the 2nd round of his mock. however in his DE rankings he has him 9th or 11th overall and as a projected 3rd or 4th rounder. that had me stumped.

He's still raw, but in the MAC he's a guy who consistently gets double and triple teamed and still makes plays (Taylor was the exact same way). That keeps him from having gaudy numbers. It's hard to say, really, because he's a tweener. He's a bit big to play LB in the 3-4, and about 30 lbs too small to play DL, so he'd have to adjust either way. Whenever there's a guy like that, you have to wonder will he turn out to be Alonzo Jackson or Kameron Wimbley?

tony hipchest
04-17-2008, 08:49 AM
heres what kirwan says ranking him as a DE-

9. Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan
Height: 6-5 Weight: 273
College stats: 36 starts, 174 tackles, 50 tackles for a loss, 14 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Vital numbers: 4.78 40-yard dash, 4.32 short shuttle

I watched Jones struggle at the beginning of Senior Bowl week and rally back later in the week for some better work. I have had two good conversations with him and he has a good football mentality. I asked him what he thought was his best college game to watch on tape and he directed me to the Michigan game. He played well in the in-state game. It appears the 3-4 teams looking for a '5 technique' defensive end with the ability to two gap and occasionally turn it loose on a slant have shown the most interest. 64 plays behind the line of scrimmage are under two per game. Draft projection: Round 3.

but he also has him ranked 11th as a DT-

11. Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan
Height: 6-5 Weight: 273
College stats: 36 starts, 174 tackles, 50 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Vital numbers: 4.78 40-yard dash, 4.32 short shuttle, 18 reps on the bench

Jones probably has more upside than half the tackles ahead of him. He needs to develop more upper body strength but he has the lower body strength, the height and the speed to be an interesting prospect at most of the defensive line spots in all the schemes. He struggled at the bowl practices but the talent is there. He could go a lot higher in the draft and is visiting a lot more teams than most of the tackles ahead of him. Draft projection: Rounds 4-5 (but don't be surprised if he goes in the third round).

either way, it seems he is picking up steam. sounds like a versitile and realatively unknown type of player the steelers like to steal in the draft.

oh yeah, and uh, nate washington... could be good! :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
If Nate Washington hits the JUGS machine 90 minutes a day, he could be a real surprise this year.

tony hipchest
04-17-2008, 09:02 AM
If Nate Washington hits the JUGS machine 90 minutes a day, he could be a real surprise this year.hell, i'd be happy to hear him and ike taylor were playing "toss" for 90 minutes a day.

lilyoder6
04-17-2008, 09:23 AM
i hope that he signs an extension w/ the steelers.. or we draft a wr in the 2nd or 3rd amd replace nate as number 3..

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
hell, i'd be happy to hear him and ike taylor were playing "toss" for 90 minutes a day.

Can we make that 3 hours a day????