PDA

View Full Version : Chad refuses to do anything - WANTS OUT NOW!

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Well here we go again this time its for real! http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349761

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible. I don't intend on reporting to anything."

--Chad Johnson

"Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary."

"What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Wow ok so we knew he didnt like the bungles but now he wont play or do anything, where will he end up?

fansince'76
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
He's not getting traded as the Bengals would take a HUGE cap hit for it. He might be a whiny baby and sit all year (and the NFL would be better off for it), but he's not getting traded.

tony hipchest
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
and lance briggs was never going to play for the bears again.

i hope rev. attny. hc marv. lets him rot in "retirement".

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
yea but he says he wont play, i dunno he is soooooo stuborn he might just not play

fansince'76
04-16-2008, 04:37 PM
yea but he says he wont play, i dunno he is soooooo stuborn he might just not play

On the other hand, the Bengals aren't exactly known for their brilliant personnel moves, so they could very well cut their losses and trade him and take the giant cap hit, but I doubt it.

TheWarDen86
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Did he start stomping his feet too?
CJ: "I refuse :banging: to play :banging: for this team :banging: anymore! :banging:

millwalldavey
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Letting him sit and rot would be the best moment in Bungles history

SteelersFever
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't think an attention-whoring, media-loving Chad Johnson is going to sit out the season if he doesn't get traded. I call his bluff. His on-the-field-antics are too important to him.

But who knows, ESPN might turn it into a 16 episode story because that will be all the talk in Cincinnati. :noidea:

Borski
04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
He might want out but he wont get out.

Preacher
04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Whether he plays or not... there will be know difference when they play the Steelers...!

When was the last time he scored a TD against us?

CantStop85
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Even if the Bengals did trade him, it wouldn't happen until at least June so they could spread the cap hit over two seasons.

But keep on talking Chad, your only options are to play or sit on the bench.

TheWarDen86
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Whether he plays or not... there will be know difference when they play the Steelers...!

:tap: He scored a TD against us? :wink02:

TheWarDen86
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Okay, this may be a dumb question, but I don't mind being educated; Can't a team come along who wants Chad and agree to assume his contract, thus relieving Cincy entirely???? :noidea:

Godfather
04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Trouble for Ocho is who's going to take him and deal with the headache?

Dallas would take a malcontent but they already have TO and Texas isn't big enough to hold both egos.

Dan Snyder is a win at all costs owner, both morally and financially, but Washington doesn't have anywhere near the cap room.

Baltimore has a MURDERER on their roster so a locker room cancer is nothing, but the Bungholes aren't going to send him to a division rival.

Oakland has a #1 overall pick invested in JaMarcus Russell and the last thing they need is the Ocho Cinco circus affecting his development, so they might break from their policy of stocking the roster with misfits...on the other hand Al Davis is senile so it could happen.

SteelersMongol
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't think an attention-whoring, media-loving Chad Johnson is going to sit out the season if he doesn't get traded. I call his bluff. His on-the-field-antics are too important to him....

Agreed.

...When was the last time he scored a TD against us?

Ha ha ha. I don't care if Clark takes back his starting position. But V MUST have Anthony on the def whenever V play the Bungholes. :thumbsup:

Tankus_Maximus
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Cantstop85? or Cantmove85?

CantTrade 85?

Cantstand85?

Oh wait...I got it....

CapCasualty85!

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaa

Q: Where ya at '85???!!!

A: Sitting at home, pouting like the lil b !tch we all knew he was!!!

I love it!!!!

Rhee Rhee
04-17-2008, 03:29 AM
and thus the discussion begins for chad johnson to the steelers...:coffee:

Galax Steeler
04-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Let him sit on the bench and cry like a baby, but on the other hand who would want to play for the bungholes anyway.

revefsreleets
04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
and thus the discussion begins for chad johnson to the steelers...:coffee:

Amazingly, there will STILL be people who will want to consider him. Acquiring CJ is the NFL equivalent of taking a trek across Africa and sleeping with every AIDS infested profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter in the Country without a rubber. It's team suicide.

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
He won't play but he'll be on the roster (do they list towel boys?)

HometownGal
04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
That egomaniac isn't going anywhere - who the hell else but the Bungles would want that disease infecting their locker room?

http://www.halloween-mask.com/Toybox/tybx06/chadjohnsonpic.jpg

=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/PGHLADYmlg/AW.jpg

rbryan
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
He'll sit until that first game check doesn't find its way into his bank account. I'm loving this, Bunglers are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

My guess is they force him to stay and he futher erodes the moral on a team already headed in a downward spiral.

lilyoder6
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
i can see the reason y he wants out.., i mean last yr, all the blame was put on chad...4 the bengals doing horrible.. i wouldn't want to be there either if the organization puts all the blame on me 4 the shitty season.. but i agree.. when chad sees that the cash isn't coming in.. he'll start playing again.. hopefully not 100%.. :O

duke0476
04-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I love the self destruction of rival players. Chad has put himself in a bad position.
He is stuck on this team at least this season.

He HAS to play and not only does he have to play he has to put up big #s to seriously be considered by a "winning team" that he says he wants to got to after all the crap he has pulled. If he doesnt put up #'s his stock goes way down. (i doubt iver Dallas would take him)

Now the latest is that him and Carson are taking jabs at each other. So he WILL play this season but the question becomes who is Carsons #1 go to guy going to be? My guess is TJ who in my prediction will put up much bigger #s than CJ this season.

Next season Chad will either go extremely cheap to a good team or bigger money but to a struggling team which will earn him more losing seasons.

I love watching a rival team self destruct, they finally get all their guys out of jail in time for their "star" to bring it all down.

duke0476
04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
i can see the reason y he wants out.., i mean last yr, all the blame was put on chad...4 the bengals doing horrible.. i wouldn't want to be there either if the organization puts all the blame on me 4 the shitty season.. but i agree.. when chad sees that the cash isn't coming in.. he'll start playing again.. hopefully not 100%.. :O

I dont feel sorry for him at all. He is only out for himself and he wants to pull all his crap and be the "face" of the team. Well guess what yo have to take the good with the bad. Man up and prove everyone wrong instead of crying like a lil bitch

tony hipchest
04-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Okay, this may be a dumb question, but I don't mind being educated; Can't a team come along who wants Chad and agree to assume his contract, thus relieving Cincy entirely???? :noidea:a team can assume the time and money remaining on his contract, but the bengals still have to take the hit for his signing bonus.

thats the problem with giving a player $15 million bonus, because it all doesnt count against the cap in that particular year, but must eventually count against the cap at some point down the line (whether that player is still there or not).

oh, and somebody rack tankus please.... "cantmove85" :sofunny: "cantstand85" :toofunny:

Tankus_Maximus
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
a team can assume the time and money remaining on his contract, but the bengals still have to take the hit for his signing bonus.

thats the problem with giving a player $15 million bonus, because it all doesnt count against the cap in that particular year, but must eventually count against the cap at some point down the line (whether that player is still there or not).

oh, and somebody rack tankus please.... "cantmove85" :sofunny: "cantstand85" :toofunny:

WAR CJ SITTING OUT THE ENTIRE SEASON!!!

rbryan
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM

I don't remember that many people blaming Chad.

I do remember him saying that he was being blamed by everyone. Big difference.

In Chads world, EVERYTHING revolves around him. He is the sun in the bungler universe and everyone else on the team is just spinning around him... lol.... Poor Chad....sooooo misunderstood

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Another thing to think about is what the bucs did to MeShawn Johnson a few years ago. Basically, kept him on the roster and didn't play him, wouldn't cut him, and he missed the last 6 games (if I recall correctly) and was then let go in the off season.

Now that would be a moment - don't play him, bench him, don't cut him, and let him miss the entire season without pay. Then instead of cut him in the off season, tell him he's still under contract (LOL)

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Houshmandzadeh anticipates 'problem' if Johnson not dealt
ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 17, 2008, 7:36 PM ET

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said Thursday it would be best if the Cincinnati Bengals and disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson parted ways.

Houshmandzadeh

"If he's not traded, it's going to be a problem," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN he talked with both Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday after Johnson demanded to be traded by Cincinnati.

Houshmandzadeh said Johnson reiterated to him: "I'm not playing."

"I think eventually he'll show up, but then you have to worry about how much of a distraction he'll be," :huh: compared toooooo..... ??? Houshmandzadeh told ESPN.

Johnson said Wednesday that he wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengals functions -- mandatory or voluntary.

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by Palmer that indicated Johnson had told the quarterback he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson told ESPN.com's John Clayton on Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson told ESPN.com. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN that Johnson spent most of the past few months not returning Palmer's phone calls. Houshmandzadeh said Palmer and Johnson have talked a few times recently.

Houshmandzadeh, who said he's talked to Johnson more this offseason than ever, revealed to ESPN that Johnson started talking about wanting out of Cincinnati during last season.

He said the Bengals are in a no-win situation. :toofunny:

"If we keep him and don't win, he'll tell everyone 'I told you so,'" Houshmandzadeh said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518

Tankus_Maximus
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Oh man, this is soooooooooooooo great.

Can it possibly get any better?

Perhaps, if Carson tore both of the ACL's & MCL's in both his knees, and was forced into early retirement, all as the result of some freaky gay sex scandal that he was busted in??

I know it's a lil harsh, and in bad taste to wish injury on somebody...but it's The Bungles!

So it's all good!

Couldn't happen to a better franchise!!

Where ya' at '85?????!!!!

stlrtruck
04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I have a friend here that was at an event with Ocho Stinko and she's claiming he's misunderstood and that he's really not that way off the field without the cameras but he likes the attention when he's on the field or in front of the cameras.

My response, "Perception is reality and the reality is that he's a punk!"

Then I asked her about his raffle that he gave the car to his g/f and she couldn't figure it out. Left her muttering something and I ended it with, "He gives the perception that he's a punk - so he's a punk.

Willem Gerber
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Lets face it...CJ is a good football player. I really hope he gets traded to a winning team just to shut him up. If he benches this year the Bengals will have a sh*tfest on theire hands...Trade him and get the distraction out of the way

revefsreleets
04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm revising my prediction to 3-13.

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Great point, and since it was always Henry that seemed to be open against us in big spots, and he's not on their team any more, the Bengals are going to STILL SUCK this upcoming season.

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Biggest Mistake Chad Johnson ever made was putting on that stupid HOF jacket. Seriously...if you're trying to get in, you're not going to. Predicting yourself as a hall of fame player only labels you an idiot and pretty much gaurentees, the only way you get into Canton is with a ticket at the front door like the rest of us normal non HOF folks.

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
i don't know y they don't trade him.. i mean shit they could get at least a 1st and 3rd 4 him.. poss a 1st and a 2nd.. and they need all the help they can get w/ draft picks..

steelreserve
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Heh. I remember when he first started with his celebrations and stuff, everyone was wondering whether Johnson was some kind of jerk like Terrell Owens. And the general sentiment was, "No, he's just having fun and there's nothing wrong with that. He's not one of those guys whose ego hurts the team."

So ... yeah. How's that sounding now?

The Duke
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
the steelers should trade for CJ :chuckle:

steelreserve
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
That egomaniac isn't going anywhere - who the hell else but the Bungles would want that disease infecting their locker room?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAIIIIIDERRRRSS!!

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
i don;t think that his ego hurts the team as much as u think.. when cj was happy they still sucked.. and that 1 yr cj got them there... and last yr the bengals put all the blame on cj.. i say re-do the contract to be more cap friendly and then trade him away...

Godfather
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Now the latest is that him and Carson are taking jabs at each other. So he WILL play this season but the question becomes who is Carsons #1 go to guy going to be? My guess is TJ who in my prediction will put up much bigger #s than CJ this season.

I bet TJ Hoshamazoh goes higher than the 6th round in this year's fantasy leagues!

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
he prob will w/ cj not "participating" but maybe someone could get a steal with cj in the later rds.. when he realizes he needs money

silver & black
04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
I think we all know the answer to that one.

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAIIIIIDERRRRSS!!

Hey, you know the chant! :sofunny:

It has been discussed on our forum... to death!

I personally wouldn't mind having him. I think he is a good player that just likes to have fun with the game. I know that goes against what most of you think of him, but I don't look at him as a player on a division rival's team. :wink02:

CantStop85
04-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey, you know the chant! :sofunny:

It has been discussed on our forum... to death!

I personally wouldn't mind having him. I think he is a good player that just likes to have fun with the game. I know that goes against what most of you think of him, but I don't look at him as a player on a division rival's team. :wink02:

After about 6-7 years of watching him in a Bengals uniform, I've come to realize that's he simply a mentally unstable human being. I'm about 90% sure he's schizophrenic...not to mention dumb as a bag of rocks.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I bet TJ Hoshamazoh goes higher than the 6th round in this year's fantasy leagues!

I pick him every season and he's been money in the bank for me. :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
04-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I pick him every season and he's been money in the bank for me. :thumbsup:

I had the trifecta last year (autodraft): Palmer, Chad & TJ. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-19-2008, 09:33 PM
After about 6-7 years of watching him in a Bengals uniform, I've come to realize that's he simply a mentally unstable human being. I'm about 90% sure he's schizophrenic...not to mention dumb as a bag of rocks.after 60-70 seconds of watching him with that blond maxi pad stuck to the top of his head and that dumb gold grill in his pie hole, i came to the exact same conclusion.

silver & black
04-20-2008, 07:44 AM
After about 6-7 years of watching him in a Bengals uniform, I've come to realize that's he simply a mentally unstable human being. I'm about 90% sure he's schizophrenic...not to mention dumb as a bag of rocks.

I can't say I really pay much attention to the Bengals or Chad. You would know better than I, so I'll take your word for it.

Hapa
04-20-2008, 08:19 AM
If I were him I'd hate the Bungles too. it'd be a disgrace to play for them :o

revefsreleets
04-20-2008, 08:56 AM
People underestimate what a stabilizing effect TJ is on Chad. I think you take TJ out of the equation and CJ will absolutely implode...

lilyoder6
04-20-2008, 09:20 AM
ok but look at steve smith in car.. he has no 2nd wr to bring ppl off of him.. but yet he still has good yrs...

Preacher
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
ok but look at steve smith in car.. he has no 2nd wr to bring ppl off of him.. but yet he still has good yrs...

I think rev. was talking more about personality than performance.

revefsreleets
04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
I think rev. was talking more about personality than performance.

Yup. Off the field, TJ basically babysits CJ, and has since college. My guess is that CJ never took a single test, got passed through to play football, and TJ kept him in line other ways.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/2006-10-31-sw-cover_x.htm?csp=34

lilyoder6
04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
ohhh. i see what u are talking about... comeone now.. cj was in a short show.. he must be that smart to remember the lines

Willem Gerber
04-21-2008, 08:33 AM
ohhh. i see what u are talking about... comeone now.. cj was in a short show.. he must be that smart to remember the lines

LOL as do we all

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
I just heard on the KDKA News sports beat that the Redskins today offered the Bungles 2 first round picks for Chad Johnson and the Bungles refused to let him go. According to the story, Marvin the Warden told them if Ocho Crotcho wants to sit out the season, he can just sit. :toofunny::toofunny: What a dumb ass - I would have unloaded that douchebag faster than you can say :sign09:

Here's the story from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

Skins offer '08 first-rounder, '09 pick for Johnson; Cincy says no
By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who initially denied the team had received offers for Johnson during a Tuesday news conference, confirmed to ESPN that Cincinnati turned down Washington's offer of two picks.

"Once I actually read what was reported, I have to be truthful and say that the story is accurate," Lewis told ESPN. "Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after our press conference."

The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

Lewis says the disgruntled receiver who wants out of Cincinnati should keep his word and sit out the season.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson's contract will remain with the Bengals.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Johnson became the epitome of Cincinnati's 7-9 season when he sniped at quarterback Carson Palmer during a loss to New England. Johnson ran the wrong route on a pass play, resulting in a game-turning interception. He initially blamed Palmer for the problem.

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago. Johnson's contract would pay him $3 million next season and extends through 2010, with a club option for 2011.

Other teams have traded away stars when they started becoming divisive. Bengals owner Mike Brown has a history of refusing to give in to player demands. When running back Corey Dillon tried to force the team to trade him in 2003, the Bengals waited until after the season to send him to New England.

In that case, it was more about getting rid of a player they no longer needed -- Rudi Johnson had emerged as the starter -- than it was about satisfying Dillon.

The Bengals need Johnson in the short-term. No. 3 receiver Chris Henry was released after yet another arrest earlier this month, leaving the Bengals with little depth at the position. They might take a receiver high in the draft this weekend.

Last week, when Palmer told reporters that Johnson had assured him he would show up for mandatory team activities, the receiver took issue with him.

On Tuesday, Palmer declined to discuss it further.

"I take it with a grain of salt," said Palmer, who is working out with the team in Cincinnati. "I've moved on and I'm over it. I'm not really going to comment on it much more."

Asked if the two could get along if Johnson stays, Palmer said, "I've always been a forgiving guy, and I hope he's here because he's a good player, and I hope to see him here."

It's been an eventful month for the Bengals. Besides getting rid of Henry, they had linebacker Odell Thurman reinstated by the NFL on Monday. Thurman was suspended for the last two seasons after skipping a drug test and getting arrested for drunken driving.

Lewis said Thurman still must prove he can stay out of trouble.

"There's an opportunity, possibly, if we want, to keep him on the football team and have the opportunity for him to compete for a roster spot," Lewis said. "He's got to do things the right way constantly. That still remains to be seen, whether he can handle that kind of scrutiny day-in and day-out."

klick81
04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I just heard on the KDKA News sports beat that the Redskins today offered the Bungles 2 first round picks for Chad Johnson and the Bungles refused to let him go. According to the story, Marvin the Warden told them if Ocho Crotcho wants to sit out the season, he can just sit. :toofunny::toofunny: What a dumb ass - I would have unloaded that douchebag faster than you can say :sign09:

Here's the story from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who initially denied the team had received offers for Johnson during a Tuesday news conference, confirmed to ESPN that Cincinnati turned down Washington's offer of two picks.

"Once I actually read what was reported, I have to be truthful and say that the story is accurate," Lewis told ESPN. "Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after our press conference."

The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

Lewis says the disgruntled receiver who wants out of Cincinnati should keep his word and sit out the season.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson's contract will remain with the Bengals.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Johnson became the epitome of Cincinnati's 7-9 season when he sniped at quarterback Carson Palmer during a loss to New England. Johnson ran the wrong route on a pass play, resulting in a game-turning interception. He initially blamed Palmer for the problem.

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago. Johnson's contract would pay him $3 million next season and extends through 2010, with a club option for 2011.

Other teams have traded away stars when they started becoming divisive. Bengals owner Mike Brown has a history of refusing to give in to player demands. When running back Corey Dillon tried to force the team to trade him in 2003, the Bengals waited until after the season to send him to New England.

In that case, it was more about getting rid of a player they no longer needed -- Rudi Johnson had emerged as the starter -- than it was about satisfying Dillon.

The Bengals need Johnson in the short-term. No. 3 receiver Chris Henry was released after yet another arrest earlier this month, leaving the Bengals with little depth at the position. They might take a receiver high in the draft this weekend.

Last week, when Palmer told reporters that Johnson had assured him he would show up for mandatory team activities, the receiver took issue with him.

On Tuesday, Palmer declined to discuss it further.

"I take it with a grain of salt," said Palmer, who is working out with the team in Cincinnati. "I've moved on and I'm over it. I'm not really going to comment on it much more."

Asked if the two could get along if Johnson stays, Palmer said, "I've always been a forgiving guy, and I hope he's here because he's a good player, and I hope to see him here."

It's been an eventful month for the Bengals. Besides getting rid of Henry, they had linebacker Odell Thurman reinstated by the NFL on Monday. Thurman was suspended for the last two seasons after skipping a drug test and getting arrested for drunken driving.

Lewis said Thurman still must prove he can stay out of trouble.

"There's an opportunity, possibly, if we want, to keep him on the football team and have the opportunity for him to compete for a roster spot," Lewis said. "He's got to do things the right way constantly. That still remains to be seen, whether he can handle that kind of scrutiny day-in and day-out."

What a mess this organization is. I'm glad they're keeping that dead weight. He can only make them a worse team at this point!

TackleMeBen
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
i heard that about the skins too.. i was shocked that they wouldnt trade him but i guess they dont want to take that hit to the salary cap.

fansince'76
04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
What a mess this organization is. I'm glad they're keeping that dead weight. He can only make them a worse team at this point!

They should have taken the Redskins' offer of two first rounders. If he sits all year (and I do believe he is enough of a dumbass to do just that), pretty much the same effect is achieved as if they make the trade and take the cap hit - by sitting all year, he still basically represents dead money. And a year from now, NO WAY is anybody gonna offer two first rounders for the idiot after sitting idle that long.

TackleMeBen
04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
this is what the bengals should say to CJ
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/150_Pirate_web_pics_door_arse.jpg

CantStop85
04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Marvin to Chad: Sit out
Team turns down trade offer from Washington for receiver
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, in a pre-draft news conference this morning, said the Bengals had not received any trade offers for Chad Johnson, then reversed course and said the team did receive an offer from the Redskins but turned it down.

And when asked if Johnson’s threat to not to play would affect the team’s draft plans, Lewis said it wouldn't, and added that Johnson should be prepared to sit out the season.

"I think he has made it clear he’s not going to play, and that’s what I’ve been aware of since the end of last season. I think it’s time to do what you say you’re going to do, and we’ll move forward.

"He has a contract through 2011. He stated, without an opportunity to go to another team with a new contract he wasn’t going to play. I think he’s a man of his word, and says he’s not going to play, so don’t play."

In its report of the Redskins' trade offer - a first round pick in this year's draft and a third rounder next year - ESPN said the 2009 pick could elevate to a first if Johnson were to hit performance incentives with Washington.

"Errant," is how Lewis initially described the report of the trade offer. "I don’t think Mike Brown received a call."

Another question and answer went like this:

Reporter: "Have you received any trade offers for Chad (Johnson)?"

Lewis: "No."

After the press conference, however, Lewis was quoted in an updated ESPN story as saying: "Once I actually read what was reported, I have to be truthful and say that the story is accurate. Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after our press conference."

Citing souces, the initial ESPN story said: "The Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said."

ESPN also reported that two other NFC East teams -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- were told Johnson was unavailable in a trade.

After the second ESPN report, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan implied that Lewis answered the way he did because the initial question mistakenly characterized the report as being two first-round picks, giving the following statement to The Enquirer:

"A questioner (at the press conference) said ESPN had reported a Redskins trade offer of two first-round picks. Coach Lewis denied such an offer had been made.

"But ESPN, in fact, did not report an offer of two first-round picks. Coach Lewis later confirmed that the ESPN story, as actually written, was accurate.

"Marvin told the Redskins that we were not interested trading Chad."

Drew Rosenhaus, Johnson's agent, has not returned a phone message from The Enquirer seeking comment on the day's news of Washington's trade offer.

The Bengals would take an $8.03 million salary cap hit if they traded or released Johnson before June 1. After June 1, the Bengals could spread the salary cap hit into 2009.
I actually love this. Marvin already promised that they weren't going to trade Chad and that he only had 2 options: play or retire. I'm glad to see that he isn't going to give in to Chad and go back on his word. Let him retire if he wants.

Stlrs4Life
04-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Doesn't matter, that's a no brainer. I pull the trigger on that one. Souffer the salary loss.

stillers4me
04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Either way, the whole situation is freakin' hilarious . What a freak show.

Pass the popcorn, please.

TackleMeBen
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Either way, the whole situation is freakin' hilarious . What a freak show.

Pass the popcorn, please.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn160/natattack20/1208363166508.jpg

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
That was a sweet deal by the Redskins. The Bengals deseperately need help to rebuild, and they would have added 2 first round picks over the next two years. How do you turn that down? Oh, yeah, they are a horrible franchise, completely mismanaged and always make the wrong moves. And Chad probably won't play this year too boot.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 09:13 AM
idk how u can pass up 2 1st rd picks 4 a player.. the bengals just need to realize thats it's nice that they are holding there ground but they need to trade him to get 2 1st rd picks to help there team in so many ways

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I understand that they are sending a mesage to the other teams that they demand a kings ransom for CJ, but the truth is, there are a only a handful of teams who will take a chance on a headcase like Johnson. The Redskins are one of them, and you can scratch them now. Giants, Ratbirds, Raiders, maybe a couple others, and not even some of these teams may be that desperate.

I kind of hope he sits, and the Bengals end up getting nothing for him...it would be a sweet caveat if his football skills erode after taking a year off, and he is forced to retire after 2009 because he just can't ball anymore....

TackleMeBen
04-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I understand that they are sending a mesage to the other teams that they demand a kings ransom for CJ, but the truth is, there are a only a handful of teams who will take a chance on a headcase like Johnson. The Redskins are one of them, and you can scratch them now. Giants, Ratbirds, Raiders, maybe a couple others, and not even some of these teams may be that desperate.

I kind of hope he sits, and the Bengals end up getting nothing for him...it would be a sweet caveat if his football skills erode after taking a year off, and he is forced to retire after 2009 because he just can't ball anymore....

CJ is a very good reciever, and the offer that snyder made was a good one. the bengals will not get what they want for CJ, so he will either suck it up and play or soak it up and cry about sitting out.. either way that is one team less i have to worry about in the division.

however you have to feel bad for carson... oh wait no i dont :flap:

steelreserve
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Those dumbasses. Pretty-good wide receivers are a dime a dozen. You don't even usually need to draft them in the first round. And this guy's no Jerry Rice.

CantStop85
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

It's not that the Bengals want more for CJ...they just don't want to trade him. He signed a contract through 2011 and the Bengals are forcing him to honor it. It's about damn time a team doesn't give in when some prima donna player doesn't feel like playing out their contract.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Ummmm.... the Bengals should have known what they had in him to begin with...everybody else did. The Cincy fans are complete morons when it comes to this self-centered idiot, too. Time and time and time again you've all come to his defense, and only now do you come around to realizing what a tool he is. And the organization is trying to take the high road now? NOW? With CJ? It's a lost cause. Cut and run and see what you can get for him and try and salvage the season. Saving face is ridiculous, especially for arguably the most laughably inept and mismanaged franchise in the NFL.

jjpro11
04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
they should just trade him already.. if they are supposed to be trying to clean up that mess of a team, then they need to get rid of one of the key head cases. whenever he scores, i hope he breaks out a td celebration worth 15 yards every time.

BettisFan
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I heard that the redskins sent an offer for him, any truth to that?

lilyoder6
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
so the bengals would rather suffer long term b/c of this instead of trading chad away 4 2 1st rd picks basically...