PDA

View Full Version : McNair Retirement

steelymcmatt
04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
:tt:I feel dirty linking to the Raven's website, but this is important enough:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/04/Press_Release_-_Steve_McNair_Retirement.aspx

The Baltimore Ravens will hold a press conference today at 1 PM with QB Steve McNair, who will announce his retirement from the NFL.

Even though McNair was always the opposition, and a real thorn in our side, he is a class act and an incredible football player. Here's to you Steve!:drink:

I guess this pretty much guarantees Ryan won't get past the Ravens at 8....Here's an interesting question: If the Falcons take Ryan, do the Ravens reach for Brohm, Flacco or Henne at 8?

MACH1
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Bummer. Couple years to late. IMO

rbryan
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Wait a minute, I thought he retired last year.......dooooooohhhhhh

revefsreleets
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, looks like Troy Smith will get his shot to prove that an under 6'0" guy can play QB at the next level. I still look for them to draft QB early though...

klick81
04-17-2008, 10:44 AM
It's about time...

tony hipchest
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, looks like Troy Smith will get his shot to prove that an under 6'0" guy can play QB at the next level. I still look for them to draft QB early though...kirk herbstreit compared him to drew brees. drew flourished under cam cameron. and the ravens new o coord is....

the nfl doesnt become better with 2 of the toughest SOB qb's retiring in favre and mcnair. ive always been a mcnair fan. for some reason i could never drum up hatred for division rival oilers/titans. i guess having great players who are fun to watch, like campbell, moon, george, and mcnair will do that.

DACEB
04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
the nfl doesnt become better with 2 of the toughest SOB qb's retiring in favre and mcnair. ive always been a mcnair fan.

Yea, I've always liked McNair also, even though he was a thorn in the Steelers side like SMcMatt said.

It was actually sad to see him play at that level.

Jeremy
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
:tt:I feel dirty linking to the Raven's website, but this is important enough:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/04/Press_Release_-_Steve_McNair_Retirement.aspx

The Baltimore Ravens will hold a press conference today at 1 PM with QB Steve McNair, who will announce his retirement from the NFL.

Even though McNair was always the opposition, and a real thorn in our side, he is a class act and an incredible football player. Here's to you Steve!:drink:

I guess this pretty much guarantees Ryan won't get past the Ravens at 8....Here's an interesting question: If the Falcons take Ryan, do the Ravens reach for Brohm, Flacco or Henne at 8?

Don't discount John David Booty Matt. Booty was solid leading an inury riddled USC team to the Rose Bowl last season. He has a good arm and was tutored by one of the best college QB coaches in America.

He could end up being the steal of the draft for someone.

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
the nfl doesnt become better with 2 of the toughest SOB qb's retiring in favre and mcnair. ive always been a mcnair fan. for some reason i could never drum up hatred for division rival oilers/titans. i guess having great players who are fun to watch, like campbell, moon, george, and mcnair will do that.

I liked watching Favre and didn't hate him because he wasn't a rival of the Steelers. But McNair - I had that hatred for him. Because of the way he played the game and the fact he wasn't a Steeler. But you are right, the Oilers/Titans have had some great players to watch and they seem to be competitive against us.(that's why my hatred intensified)

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't discount John David Booty Matt. Booty was solid leading an inury riddled USC team to the Rose Bowl last season. He has a good arm and was tutored by one of the best college QB coaches in America.

He could end up being the steal of the draft for someone.

Then twice a year the Steelers could "Get that Booty" :sofunny: :tt03: :buttkick: :popcorn:

BettisFan
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
now we get to face troy twice yay! rack up 2 wins for the steelers!

Rhee Rhee
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
i think troy smith will be a good QB later on down the road depending on whether or not the ravens draft QB this year or not...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-17-2008, 02:40 PM

If Ryan is gone the Ravens will proably wait until the second and grab Henne, Although, they may have to trade up because Chad has been moving up boards.

The Duke
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
one of the toughest guys to play the game. he deserves to hang it up, after last year it was pretty obvious

he had a great record against our steelers and always gave us a hard time, I respect him for that

now it's troy smith time!

HometownGal
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Spot on, Tony. :thumbsup: I have always respected McNair and dreaded the Steelers playing him no matter what team he was a part of, as he always found a way to be a pain in our asses. He was one tough SOB and I always respected him for his tenacity and sheer grit. I wish him only the best in his retirement. :drink:

I was a huge fan of the Mooner in his heyday with the Oilers. He was another gritty QB who almost always found a way to burn our D when other QB's just couldn't. I was saddened when he retired as I always enjoyed watching him play (except against us, of course!).

TheWarDen86
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I was so bummed for him after the "one yard shy" play at the end of the SB. Like some of you, I've always liked and respected Steve McNair.

tony hipchest
04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
eddie george on the radio today brought back this memory-

mcnair returns from back surgery to face the steelers (a game most said he should skip because of the impending doom of facing the steelers defense).

mcnair takes of on a qb rush and dives into the endzone for a td as 11 defenders are delivering bonecrushing blows to the middle of his back.

titans win.

kind of unfortunate the system he played in, never allowed him to match his alcorn state highlights.

anyways, with brett and steve gone, big ben now takes the torch as the toughest SOB qb in the nfl :tt02:

lilyoder6
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
steve had a good career.. i thought he was getting hit too much when h eplayed 4 the titans.. and when he went to balt he was tired.. just got beat up too much.. but have fun w/ retirement

TheWarDen86
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
eddie george on the radio today brought back this memory-

mcnair returns from back surgery to face the steelers (a game most said he should skip because of the impending doom of facing the steelers defense).

mcnair takes of on a qb rush and dives into the endzone for a td as 11 defenders are delivering bonecrushing blows to the middle of his back.

titans win.

kind of unfortunate the system he played in, never allowed him to match his alcorn state highlights.

anyways, with brett and steve gone, big ben now takes the torch as the toughest SOB qb in the nfl :tt02:

For toughness beyond the line of scrimmage I agree that Ben's the man. But for taking a pounding and getting back up BEHIND the line of scrimmage, there can be no one tougher than David Carr. :laughing:

GutterflowerSteel
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I wish McNair a long and healthy retirement. I always liked him except when he played the Steelers, because he kicked our asses a lot of the time. He's a true football warrior.

Did anyone hear his interview with Adam Schein today? I think that Sirius is going to replay it or put it up on their site.

Galax Steeler
04-18-2008, 04:09 AM
I always dreaded facing mcnair on game day he was a good quarterback in his time.

Willem Gerber
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
The only regret that I will ever have against Mcnair is that 1yrd superbowl against the rams.
He was a true footballer. Do any of you think he deserves the HOF? In my mind he does...

BettisFan
04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
mcnair was one of the strongest qb's to play the game, he needs to be in the HOF

revefsreleets
04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
No HOF for McNair. He has decent numbers and all, but he needed a championship.

pitt
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
He used to be a great quarterback.

jtmill
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Thank goodness we don't have to worry about him anymore!!

Steeler Killer, Steve McNair Retires
By cgolden
Posted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 03:40:29 PM EDT

You've probably heard the news that Steve McNair is retiring by now, and if you've been a Steelers fan over the past 10 or 11 years, you might have gotten a small grin across your face. I'm in no means glad that a player's career has come to an end, especially in the injury plagued way that McNair's career has. McNair was a 13 year veteran of the National Football League and I'll never forget watching Titan's games only to hear most of the broadcast center around the various injuries that McNair was playing through.

McNair was the co-MVP of the league in 2003 and led the Titans to 4 postseason appearances, including one Super Bowl appearance in 1999-2000. In Baltimore, after most had written him off, he led the Ravens to their best season in franchise history in 2006, posting a 13-3 record and leading the Ravens to the AFC's #2 seed. He's one of only three quarterbacks in the history of the NFL who have thrown for over 30,000 yards and ran for more than 3,500. The other two quarterbacks, Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton, are both members of the Hall of Fame. McNair will ultimately be remembered as an ultimate competitor and ambassador for the league, as well as a mentor and role model to many of the young African-American Quarterbacks trying to establishe themselves in the league today.

As a Raven, McNair was impossible to root for, but
after detaching myself from those feelings of animosity
to all things Ravens, it's easy to realize the NFL has lost
one of the greats from the past decade.

One thing you may also be familiar with was just how hard it was for the Steelers to beat McNair. Despite playing on teams that finished with a winning record only 4 times during his 9 years as a starter in Tennesse, McNair posted a 9-4 record against the Steelers and added another 2-1 record while with the Ravens. In those 16 games he posted a QB rating over 100 six times which is pretty amazing for a quarterback with a career QB rating of just under 83. He also threw 21 touchdowns (and added another three rushing) and 14 interceptions over that time.

McNair may not be the ultimate Steelers nemesis but he has definitely been a headache for Steelers defenders for the past 13 seasons. Congratulations to him on a long, productive career and best of luck in his next endeavor. The NFL has lost one of its great players of the past decade. So any fond or unfond memories of McNair against Pittsburgh?

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
He was a good QB. Not a Hall of Famer in my opinion. He'll probably get in later on though, maybe after his third or forth vote. Too bad he had to end his carreer in Purple on a losing team. but oh well.

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
i agree that he will be voted in later but if he did win the sb he would get voted early in.. he had a good career..... last player to retire that played on the houston oilers... :o

steelreserve
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
People, people! Let's not get distracted from the important issues. BRETT FAVRE is still retired, for god's sake.

I wonder what John Madden would have to say about this ... "You know, what McNair just did there reminds me of another quarterback, and that guy is Brett Favre. That guy is something special. If I could pick any quarterback in the league to retire on my team, I'd have him retire like Brett Favre. (slurp slurp slurp)"

Godfather
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Count me in with the McNair fans. It's too bad he got so beat up.

Another thing he and Favre have in common: they're both Mississippi boys. McNair is from a little town called Olive Branch.

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 09:06 PM
and mcnair came from a small ass college... he had a nice career i wonder if espn or nfl network will offer him a job like they do when ppl retire

tony hipchest
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
i agree that he will be voted in later but if he did win the sb he would get voted early in.. he had a good career..... last player to retire that played on the houston oilers... :o

if you say so...

jon runyan might disagree tho... :0 (i will give you that runyan has yet to retire) :smile:

anyways, i think mcnair has as good of a chance of making it into the Hall of Fame as the man he backed up for 2 years and eventually replaced (chris chandler).

Steel Buckeye
04-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Best wishes to McNair, it's always a happy day when a Steelers killer retires.

revefsreleets
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
if you say so...

jon runyan might disagree tho... :0 (i will give you that runyan has yet to retire) :smile:

anyways, i think mcnair has as good of a chance of making it into the Hall of Fame as the man he backed up for 2 years and eventually replaced (chris chandler).

Christal Chandleer?

revefsreleets
04-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Found this...makes sense to me:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080419/COLUMNIST0201/804190369/1002/SPORTS

McNair is no Hall of Famer

Commentary by JOE BIDDLE
Staff Writer

If there were a NFL Tough Guys Hall of Fame, Steve McNair would stand at the head of the class.

Five years from now, when McNair is eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he will fall short when voters gather during Super Bowl week.

The selection committee relies on two points — your numbers and who promotes your case to the committee.

Although McNair played 13 seasons, you can take out his first and last years.

As a Houston Oilers rookie, he saw action in four games while throwing three touchdown passes. With the Ravens last season Air McNair was grounded most of the season with injuries. The ex-Titan played in six games with two TD passes and four interceptions. It was his second, and final, season with Baltimore.

He took the Titans to one Super Bowl and lost. During his career, McNair threw for 31,304 yards, 174 touchdowns. He ran for 3,500 yards and 37 TDs. His QB rating average was 82.8. He shared co-MVP honors in 2003 with Peyton Manning and was a four-time Pro Bowl selection.

Those are not Hall of Fame credentials. McNair was also hurt by playing in a small market with almost no exposure to national marketing.

More than numbers

McNair's career was about more than numbers. His heart and passion for the game stood out. His ability to play when no one thought it was possible for him to stand more punishment was legendary.

His leadership example permeated the locker room. Players found it difficult to sit out with a hangnail when No. 9 always answered the bell.

Unfortunately, he won't get much credit for intangibles in the Hall of Fame room. If both he and Brett Favre remain retired, they'll be eligible the same year. Favre's numbers surpass McNair's, and his fellow Mississippian was likewise tougher than new rope.

McNair is often compared to Hall of Famer Warren Moon, who beat you with his arm and legs. Moon opted for the Canadian Football League, leading Edmonton to five straight Grey Cup titles before going to the NFL.

Moon then threw for more than 50,000 yards in 17 NFL seasons. In 1990, he led the league with 4,689 yards passing and the next season he would join Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Dan Fouts as the only quarterbacks with back-to-back 4,000-yard seasons.

In McNair's best year, he threw for 3,387 yards.

Noted, Moon played in wide-open systems while McNair quarterbacked a ball-possession style favored by Titans Coach Jeff Fisher.

While it's unlikely McNair will meet Hall of Fame measurements, ask any of the Hall of Fame members and they would love to have Steve McNair in their huddle.

Willem Gerber
04-21-2008, 08:52 AM
I really do think he will get HOF. He did not get a champoinship,but he did get MVP and led the Ravens to their best record ever and the Titans to a superbowl...In my mind he deserves Canton

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
If there were a NFL Tough Guys Hall of Fame, Steve McNair would stand at the head of the class.

Pretty much sums it up to me. He's not a HoF candidate, but he is a tough mother. Great football player and it's sad to see him go, especially with namby pambies like Manning and Brady in the league (and I like Manning) who collapse on a ball instead of trying to gain a yard or two and taking a hard hit. McNair didn't have unmatched talent, but he always played no matter how injured he was. Unfortunate his career ended with the cloud of injuries, and the way the Titans did him was terrible.

I agree though, with Favre and Air McNair retired, Big Ben is one of the last tough-as-nails QBs. Hopefully he stays as classy as McNair and Favre.

Lord Stiller
04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
The dumb Ravens fans actually think Troy Smith is good LOL

revefsreleets
04-21-2008, 01:07 PM
The dumb Ravens fans actually think Troy Smith is good LOL

Well, in his defense, it's a bit early to declare him a bust. He played in 4 games last year, and he got better each game. In his last game against us, he put up decent numbers and had a 90 QBR.