PDA

View Full Version : Stadium plans unveiled to lure team to L.A.

millwalldavey
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
(Associated PRess)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski Jr. has made a commitment to build the kind of stadium an NFL team needs to thrive in Los Angeles. Now, he's hoping one will commit to play there.
I intend to develop our stadium project that meets all of the NFL requirements, and more," Roski said at a Staples Center news conference, where stadium models and artist renditions were displayed. "Always the most important thing has been the certainty of doing this. A team is not going to commit to coming to Los Angeles without a stadium. We've taken this one point of uncertainty and made it a certainty. The stadium is a certainty and it will be built."

And, Roski added, without public money.

"Absolutely no taxpayer dollars," he said. "There's no taxpayer dollars to get."

The proposed 600-acre site, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways about 20 miles east of Los Angeles, would be surrounded by a shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns. Roski said around 12 million people live within 25 miles of the site.

"We are aware of it and are monitoring all stadium-related developments in southern California," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said from his New York office.

Roski said the cost would be around $800 million, adding the stadium will be built into a hillside meaning far less steel will be required. And that, he said will result in a cost of about $400 million less than it might be otherwise.

Roski said the site is already zoned and an environmental impact report was approved in 2004.

"A supplemental EIR is currently in progress," he added, saying construction could begin as early as the final quarter of this year and parking requirements would be met. "We'll make it happen, just as we did here at Staples Center with the Lakers and Kings.

Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center. The Lakers, Kings and Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in this venture.

The one obvious obstacle standing in the way is a tenant for the new stadium. Possibilities might include the New Orleans Saints, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers because of their stadium uncertainties.

Roski made it clear construction will not begin until a team agreed to move, adding he did not expect an expansion team to be involved.

The NFL has said it has no plans to expand from its present 32 teams, and it's also clear Los Angeles is not a high priority with the league at this time. But that might not stop a team with stadium uncertainties to make the move.

"No team is going to say they're going to come here until we have this," Roski said of the stadium plan. "We have not talked to any teams. Now, we will start the second phase of it. We'll start talking to the NFL and the teams. We've got this out of the way. Now, we'll concentrate on getting a team."

With a smile, the 69-year-old chairman and CEO of Majestic Realty Co., added: "If I was sitting there, I would be waiting for my call. This is the top market. The team that decides to come to Los Angeles is financially going to be one of the top teams in the league, by far."

Los Angeles, the second-largest media market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.

But, as Roski pointed out, there were always uncertainties.

Should a team decide to make the move, he said it could play the 2009-10 seasons at either the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl while the new stadium was under construction.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Good luck getting anyone in southern california interested in a football team.....the only thing that Southern California has is a bunch of hard core gang banging MS13 Raider fans.

Now if you move the Steelers out here we'd fill that stadium up in a heartbeat!!! :tt02:

PisnNapalm
04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Now if you move the Steelers out here we'd fill that stadium up in a heartbeat!!! :tt02:

I know you're trying to make a point that Steelers fans will fill a stadium anywhere, but... It's sacrilege to even joke about moving the Steelers. :doh:

BettisFan
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
yea please its very possible we are small market , so lets not even mention it

Rhee Rhee
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
stick to college footbal socal....

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
stick to college footbal socal....

College football is the only thing that matters in SoCal. Los Angeles could give a rat's arse if they ever get an NFL team. I have yet to hear someone actually say "you know we need an NFL team in Los Angeles" the only one's I hear crying are the politicians....but then again what's new.

Tankus_Maximus
04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Good luck getting anyone in southern california interested in a football team.....the only thing that Southern California has is a bunch of hard core gang banging MS13 Raider fans.

HORALE!!!! They're building a football stadium in the City of Industry! Right in my back yard!!!

Suhweeeeeet!!

Hopefully we'll get a crappy expansion team, and they can call it the City of Industry Vatos Locos 13!!!

Hell, who are they kidding? That big 9.0 magnitude earthquake will hit before they ever get football back in L.A.

SteelCityMan786
04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
yea please its very possible we are small market , so lets not even mention it

Why worry? The Steelers would never leave us!!!!

Galax Steeler
04-18-2008, 04:12 AM
I would hope that they will stay in the burgh forever.

Willem Gerber
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
NEVER!!! The Steeler organization knows that they have extremely loyal fans in the burgh. Steelers will never move...soon! LOL

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
So...after we THUMP the Jags this upcoming Season, how quick will they be signing the lease in LA?

Jeremy
04-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Get used to the LA Chargers.

rbryan
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I remember when the threat to move the Steelers to LA was something to be concerned about. Late 80's early 90's. Not sure if it was ever a serious consideration for the Rooneys.

LA doesn't deserve a team, but with the $ this guy has it will probably happen.

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
The Los Angeles Jaquars...and then how do they fit into the AFC South? Guess you could move KC into the AFC South and LA into the AFC West.

steelreserve
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
The proposed 600-acre site, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways about 20 miles east of Los Angeles,

That's all I needed to read. What an AWFUL place to put a stadium.

In the Los Angeles area, that's pretty much the equivalent of being located in the swamp 45 minutes outside of town. There is virtually NO reason to go out that way.

And on the L.A. freeways, you could literally sit in traffic for three hours trying to get there. I have done exactly that many times when I had to take Highway 60 east from downtown. It seriously took almost THREE HOURS to get from downtown L.A. to Highway 57. There is no public transportation to speak of that could get you to this stadium. Good luck ever holding a Monday night game there.

millwalldavey
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM

Again.

Elvis
04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I know you're trying to make a point that Steelers fans will fill a stadium anywhere, but... It's sacrilege to even joke about moving the Steelers. :doh:
:hatsoff:For Once... I Agree with Pis

Godfather
04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Hell, who are they kidding? That big 9.0 magnitude earthquake will hit before they ever get football back in L.A.

Maybe not. Maybe the earthquake will displace your team and destroy your stadium, and you can get a "home game" at the Meadowlands.

Steelman16
04-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think this will happen, but if it did, it would be the Jaguars packin town from Jacksonville.

And I doubt they'd stay long. Has any LA team ever stayed?

millwalldavey
04-19-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't think this will happen, but if it did, it would be the Jaguars packin town from Jacksonville.

And I doubt they'd stay long. Has any LA team ever stayed?

The rams were there from 1936-ish til they moved.

Jeremy
04-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I remember when the threat to move the Steelers to LA was something to be concerned about. Late 80's early 90's. Not sure if it was ever a serious consideration for the Rooneys.

LA doesn't deserve a team, but with the $ this guy has it will probably happen.

Yeah....it was. If Heinz Field hadn't come along, the Steelers were going to be moved. Never forget that above all, the Rooneys are good business people. They understand the value of the franchise they own and they understand that they could have moved the team to LA with a sweetheart deal in a heartbeat.

Tankus_Maximus
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
That's all I needed to read. What an AWFUL place to put a stadium.

In the Los Angeles area, that's pretty much the equivalent of being located in the swamp 45 minutes outside of town. There is virtually NO reason to go out that way.

And on the L.A. freeways, you could literally sit in traffic for three hours trying to get there. I have done exactly that many times when I had to take Highway 60 east from downtown. It seriously took almost THREE HOURS to get from downtown L.A. to Highway 57. There is no public transportation to speak of that could get you to this stadium. Good luck ever holding a Monday night game there.

Just cuz it's away from the city doesn't mean it's in the sticks by any means. It is afterall adjacent to the City of Industry/Rowland Heights, not Hesperia or Indio!

And there's a handful of freeways to take from the city, the 60, 10, 210, you're just gonna have to leave ALOT earlier than usual....it's the price we pay for living with great weather most of the year.

Wait, am I defending L.A?

Screw that! You're right! It is horrible!!

But damnit, it's a chance to see The Steelers live and in person without having to board a plane!! So I'm geeked!

klick81
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
the only thing that Southern California has is a bunch of hard core gang banging MS13 Raider fans.

Generalize much? :yap:

silver & black
04-19-2008, 07:46 PM

I don't know about the gang banging ms13 part, but there are A LOT of Raiders fans in LA. I'm sure they would have no problem filling the stadium.

I hope the Raiders stay in Oakland, but it has been rumored that a move could happen when the lease is up in 2010... or is it 2011?... I don't remember...lol.

silver & black
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM

I've heard that rumor too.

Tankus_Maximus
04-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know about the gang banging ms13 part, but there are A LOT of Raiders fans in LA. I'm sure they would have no problem filling the stadium.
I hope the Raiders stay in Oakland, but it has been rumored that a move could happen when the lease is up in 2010... or is it 2011?... I don't remember...lol.

Why would the Raider fans fill up a stadium NOW? They didn't fill it up when the Raiders were here the first time!

And there is now a generation gap for the Raider fans that are still here, they're kids have grown up with the Raiders in Oakland, AND most of the original die-hard Raider fans are either locked up in Twin Towers, or The Chino Mens Facility! :tt02:

Keep The Raiders in Oakland where they belong! With the rest of the scum and villainy.

We're finally getting our mess cleaned up around here!

silver & black
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Why would the Raider fans fill up a stadium NOW? They didn't fill it up when the Raiders were here the first time!

And there is now a generation gap for the Raider fans that are still here, they're kids have grown up with the Raiders in Oakland, AND most of the original die-hard Raider fans are either locked up in Twin Towers, or The Chino Mens Facility! :tt02:

Keep The Raiders in Oakland where they belong! With the rest of the scum and villainy.
We're finally getting our mess cleaned up around here!

:shake01:... It's a good thing no Steelers fans fit that description... eh?

Broad, sweeping generalizations suck.

Why would Steelers fans fill up a stadium in California... in a city that doesn't care about the NFL at all? You can't all fly out to California every week!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-20-2008, 12:28 PM
:shake01:.

Why would Steelers fans fill up a stadium in California... in a city that doesn't care about the NFL at all? You can't all fly out to California every week!

Steeler fans won't have to fly out to California every week because Steeler fans are already here.

silver & black
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Steeler fans won't have to fly out to California every week because Steeler fans are already here.

Sure they are... but not enough to fill a stadium.

OneForTheToe
04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
The league is relatively stable at the moment. The most likely teams to move would be Jacksonville or Buffalo. It would be a shame to see the Bills leave, but they do have issues. The Saints are also an outside possibility, but that would be a PR nightmare for the league. The media would roast Goodell's chestnuts on an open fire if he let Bensen abandon a still recovering city.

Expansion could be an issue at some point further down the road, but you have to add two teams at a time. Who would get the other team? Mexico City (staring frogs of southern Sri Lanka)? Toronto? ?Expansion is at least 10 years off, IMO.

silver & black
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
The league is relatively stable at the moment. The most likely teams to move would be Jacksonville or Buffalo. It would be a shame to see the Bills leave, but they do have issues. The Saints are also an outside possibility, but that would be a PR nightmare for the league. The media would roast Goodell's chestnuts on an open fire if he let Bensen abandon a still recovering city.

Expansion could be an issue at some point further down the road, but you have to add two teams at a time. Who would get the other team? Mexico City (staring frogs of southern Sri Lanka)? Toronto? ?Expansion is at least 10 years off, IMO.

The league is fine just the way it is. Expansion will only drain the talent pool more than it already is.

JPPT1974
04-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Wouldn't surprise anybody if they failed
How long have they been trying to get a franchise
Just like forever!:noidea:

OneForTheToe
04-20-2008, 04:05 PM
The league is fine just the way it is. Expansion will only drain the talent pool more than it already is.

I generall agree with that silver&black. However, you can't close off the idea of expansion forever. Somewhere down the line the league will expand. While I am not that big of a fan of playing games on foreign soil, reality is that 30 years from now there will be more teams, and probably some of them based in other countries.

BettisFan
04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
so who is most likely to go to LA? Bills?

tony hipchest
04-20-2008, 04:58 PM
so who is most likely to go to LA? Bills?

the texans

BettisFan
04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
i don think so they have sold out every game since they got to houston, but i really think bills

lilyoder6
04-20-2008, 06:25 PM
honestly i don't see any teams moving there.. they all have good crowds... it's going to take some incredible to have a team move..

Godfather
04-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Maybe not...the further we get from Katrina the more leeway the Saints would have. They could say, "We tried but the city just hasn't gotten back to the point where it can support a team." And the area has lost a lot of goodwill by re-electing C-Ray and Dollar Bill and Aaron Broussard, plus all the negative (and in some cases blatantly false) media coverage about "Katricians".

Jeremy
04-20-2008, 06:43 PM
There will be a team in LA before the 2010 season. Goddell will see to that.

Tankus_Maximus
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
:shake01:... It's a good thing no Steelers fans fit that description... eh?

Broad, sweeping generalizations suck.

But they are generally true!

And I reference the recent prisoner who was put to death via lethal injection, when asked for his final words, his only response was....."GO RAIDERS!!!!"

I rest my case!

Willem Gerber
04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
It wont happen so dont worry about it

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Seriously...the Jacksonville Jaquars CANT sell out a home game right now. Their attendance is horrible, and that's when they are "good". If they fail to live up to the hype, which I think they really may, and fail to beat Indy at least once, again this upcoming season, they are out of Jacksonville and bound for the West Coast.

klick81
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Seriously...the Jacksonville Jaquars CANT sell out a home game right now. Their attendance is horrible, and that's when they are "good". If they fail to live up to the hype, which I think they really may, and fail to beat Indy at least once, again this upcoming season, they are out of Jacksonville and bound for the West Coast.

I'll glady take them, but only because it means I'll be able to see the Steelers that much more often! :tt02:

steelreserve
04-21-2008, 01:29 PM

This may be going off on a tangent, but I'm kind of angry at the Raiders these days.

First, they ruin the Coliseum by building "Mt. Davis" and chase the A's out of town, or at least it looks like that's what's going to happen.

Then -- either because nobody wants to sit in those seats or because the team hasn't been very good lately -- they hardly ever sell out home games, so they just get blacked out on TV every weekend.

Then, because of the NFL's home-team TV policies, the "secondary" NFC game opposite the Raiders usually gets blacked out. Since we also have the 49ers, half the time that means you get ONLY the Raiders and 49ers during the day on Sunday. And sometimes the Raiders are blacked out too, so you get the 49ers and three crappy movies from the early '80s.

So overall, since the Raiders moved back, I've lost the chance to watch two football games a week, and am probably losing a baseball team entirely. In return, I've gained a football team that goes 4-12 and they don't even broadcast the games, plus I don't even go to see the Steelers when they play in Oakland because I don't want to get in a fight.

Seriously, a couple of my friends go to a lot of Raiders games, and they get their asses kicked in the parking lot at least once a year. Usually at the Chiefs game, because one of them is from Kansas City. But you can count on it.

silver & black
04-21-2008, 03:55 PM

And I reference the recent prisoner who was put to death via lethal injection, when asked for his final words, his only response was....."GO RAIDERS!!!!"

I rest my case!

That was 2 years ago. Its a waste of time to argue about perceptions that no amount of fact will sway your opinion on. Raider fans are no more "criminals" or "scum" than fans of any other team... but you just go on and believe the popular stereo type that the media has spoon fed you and you bought hook, line and sinker.

silver & black
04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
This may be going off on a tangent, but I'm kind of angry at the Raiders these days.

First, they ruin the Coliseum by building "Mt. Davis" and chase the A's out of town, or at least it looks like that's what's going to happen.

Then -- either because nobody wants to sit in those seats or because the team hasn't been very good lately -- they hardly ever sell out home games, so they just get blacked out on TV every weekend.

Then, because of the NFL's home-team TV policies, the "secondary" NFC game opposite the Raiders usually gets blacked out. Since we also have the 49ers, half the time that means you get ONLY the Raiders and 49ers during the day on Sunday. And sometimes the Raiders are blacked out too, so you get the 49ers and three crappy movies from the early '80s.

So overall, since the Raiders moved back, I've lost the chance to watch two football games a week, and am probably losing a baseball team entirely. In return, I've gained a football team that goes 4-12 and they don't even broadcast the games, plus I don't even go to see the Steelers when they play in Oakland because I don't want to get in a fight.

Seriously, a couple of my friends go to a lot of Raiders games, and they get their asses kicked in the parking lot at least once a year. Usually at the Chiefs game, because one of them is from Kansas City. But you can count on it.

Well, I hear the same thing happens to Raider fans at the Chargers' stadium. I witness the same thing happen to other teams' fans when I go to Cleveland stadium. I would guess that it happens at every venue in the NFL... even at Hinze Field. It isn't anything that is strictly unique to the Raiders... regardless of the popular perception.

As far as ticket sales go, the Raiders have taken back control of that. Obviously I don't get to go to Raiders games since I live in Ohio, but I have been told by many that live in and around Oakland that the stadium sells out a lot more since the Raiders have taken control from whomever had it before. After the last 5 years, it's amazing it sells out at all. The fact that it does, is testament to Raiders fans" loyalty to their team.

I seriously doubt that the Raiders ran the A's off. The A's are building a new, state of the art park somewhere close, are they not?

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I rest my case!

That's actually pretty awesome.

steelreserve
04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Well, the A's are talking about building a new state-of-the-art stadium, but nobody knows for sure when/if it'll happen. If it does, it'll be in Fremont, which is about an hour's drive for most of the current fan base. I probably won't go to more than one or two games a year if that happens.

What I do know is that there was no talk of needing a new stadium until after they built Mt. Davis. It seriously turned the feel of the ballpark from an older-but-nifty park like Kaufman Stadium, into a dank concrete slab.

Before (http://hometown.aol.com/CYCLEMENS8601/images/Bp010d.jpg)
After (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/mcafeemainf.jpg)

The way it's set up now, you literally cannot see big stretches of the outfield from the bleachers, and the open-air-summer-day feel has just been destroyed. I can honestly say I go to about 50% fewer A's games since they did this, and we almost never feel like it's worth going anymore unless a) the team is in the pennant chase, or b) we're going ot have a kickass tailgate party.

I don't mean to portray all Raiders fans as thugs with the fighting comment, but you do take your chances when you go down there, even if it's only a few people causing problems. It seemed like a big deal to me, but then again, the only thing I have to compare it to is the 49ers or a couple of trips to Heinz Field.

They DO sell out more games now than before, I'll give you that. But you still usually end up with about half the home games blacked out. Raiders fans are definitely among the most loyal I've ever seen, but even then, there are about 10,000 absolutely AWFUL seats in that stadium, and it's hard convincing enough people to pay good money to sit in them to watch a losing team.

If it wasn't for Mt. Davis, I probably wouldn't have this much of a problem with what the Raiders have done, but that one move kind of cascaded into other areas to the point where it not only messed up other football games, but other sports as well.

silver & black
04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, the A's are talking about building a new state-of-the-art stadium, but nobody knows for sure when/if it'll happen. If it does, it'll be in Fremont, which is about an hour's drive for most of the current fan base. I probably won't go to more than one or two games a year if that happens.

What I do know is that there was no talk of needing a new stadium until after they built Mt. Davis. It seriously turned the feel of the ballpark from an older-but-nifty park like Kaufman Stadium, into a dank concrete slab.

Before (http://hometown.aol.com/CYCLEMENS8601/images/Bp010d.jpg)
After (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/mcafeemainf.jpg)

The way it's set up now, you literally cannot see big stretches of the outfield from the bleachers, and the open-air-summer-day feel has just been destroyed. I can honestly say I go to about 50% fewer A's games since they did this, and we almost never feel like it's worth going anymore unless a) the team is in the pennant chase, or b) we're going ot have a kickass tailgate party.

I don't mean to portray all Raiders fans as thugs with the fighting comment, but you do take your chances when you go down there, even if it's only a few people causing problems. It seemed like a big deal to me, but then again, the only thing I have to compare it to is the 49ers or a couple of trips to Heinz Field.

They DO sell out more games now than before, I'll give you that. But you still usually end up with about half the home games blacked out. Raiders fans are definitely among the most loyal I've ever seen, but even then, there are about 10,000 absolutely AWFUL seats in that stadium, and it's hard convincing enough people to pay good money to sit in them to watch a losing team.

If it wasn't for Mt. Davis, I probably wouldn't have this much of a problem with what the Raiders have done, but that one move kind of cascaded into other areas to the point where it not only messed up other football games, but other sports as well.

Thanks for the insight. I really didn't know anything about Mt. Davis. I just assumed it was always there. I hear the fans from Oakland on my forum talk about it all the time. When was it built, and why?

Tankus_Maximus
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
That was 2 years ago. Its a waste of time to argue about perceptions that no amount of fact will sway your opinion on. Raider fans are no more "criminals" or "scum" than fans of any other team... but you just go on and believe the popular stereo type that the media has spoon fed you and you bought hook, line and sinker.

Sorry son, but the media hasn't spoon fed me anything.

I base my assumptions on the reality that I see every day of living in so-cal.

The "Raider Nation" composes the majority of the criminal element currently living within our penal system. And most are proud of being the bottom-feeders of society and wear it with pride on their sleeve (i.e. all the "Caution: Raider Fans on Board...DON'T F ()CK WITH US" stickers strewn on the rear of most car windows in So-Cal.

Face it: Raider Fans are ghetto, and locked up.....where they belong.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-22-2008, 12:17 AM

The "Raider Nation" composes the majority of the criminal element currently living within our penal system. And most are proud of being the bottom-feeders of society and wear it with pride on their sleeve (i.e. all the "Caution: Raider Fans on Board...DON'T F ()CK WITH US" stickers strewn on the rear of most car windows in So-Cal.

living in Riverside, CA :iagree:

silver & black
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Ok, have it your way......son.

Living around a whole lot of Steeler fans here in Ohio, I could say that most of the "criminal element" all sport Steeler flags on their houses and wear Steeler jersys and hats. almost all of the drug and gang related related problems in my area are perpetuated by STEELER FANS... not Browns fans or Bengals fans... or Raider fans... STEELER FANS... all decked out in the bad-ass black and gold. Sucks, doesn't it?

steelreserve
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the insight. I really didn't know anything about Mt. Davis. I just assumed it was always there. I hear the fans from Oakland on my forum talk about it all the time. When was it built, and why?

They built it about 10 years ago, right after the Raiders moved back to Oakland -- I believe one of Al Davis' conditions for bringing the team back was that he wanted more seats and luxury boxes. Up until the mid-90s, the Oakland Coliseum held about 45,000 people; now it holds 60,000 with twice as many luxury suites.

But almost all of the newly built stuff is unusable for baseball because the angles are so severe you can't see the outfield. They also raised the normal bleachers up about 10 feet, so you can't see anything happening in the outer 50 feet of the outfield unless you're right in the front. They also changed those seats from open bleachers to reserved seats, and closed down all the food vendors out there except for football, as they're set back about 75 feet in a dim concrete tunnel and not enough business comes through except during NFL games.

So basically, the whole thing was built to satisfy Al Davis' need for more seats, but they built it in the fastest, cheapest way possible that would technically fulfill the agreement. Normally, they'd probably spend a year on a massive stadium project like that, but I think because neither the A's or Raiders had a good alternate site to use, they crammed it into a few months.

They didn't really pay much attention to what it would do to the feel of the park, or whether the new seats would be any good to sit in, so this was the result. Basically, they ruined the whole stadium.

silver & black
04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
They built it about 10 years ago, right after the Raiders moved back to Oakland -- I believe one of Al Davis' conditions for bringing the team back was that he wanted more seats and luxury boxes. Up until the mid-90s, the Oakland Coliseum held about 45,000 people; now it holds 60,000 with twice as many luxury suites.

But almost all of the newly built stuff is unusable for baseball because the angles are so severe you can't see the outfield. They also raised the normal bleachers up about 10 feet, so you can't see anything happening in the outer 50 feet of the outfield unless you're right in the front. They also changed those seats from open bleachers to reserved seats, and closed down all the food vendors out there except for football, as they're set back about 75 feet in a dim concrete tunnel and not enough business comes through except during NFL games.

So basically, the whole thing was built to satisfy Al Davis' need for more seats, but they built it in the fastest, cheapest way possible that would technically fulfill the agreement. Normally, they'd probably spend a year on a massive stadium project like that, but I think because neither the A's or Raiders had a good alternate site to use, they crammed it into a few months.

They didn't really pay much attention to what it would do to the feel of the park, or whether the new seats would be any good to sit in, so this was the result. Basically, they ruined the whole stadium.

Thanks for the explanation.

As I understand it, Al moved the team to L.A. because the city of Oakland... or whatever entity had jurisdiction over such things, failed to honor an agreement to renovate the stadium. Is that true?

I know Al got sold a bill of goods in L.A. too, about the coliseum being renovated... which is why he moved back to Oakland. The whole thing sounds like an unfortunate mess... where no one wins.

L.A. will never support an NFL team... they had, and lost 2 of them. There must be a reason why. Goodell can push the issue all he wants, but I doubt L.A. will ever be a city that gives a damn about the NFL.

SteelersMongol
04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tankus_Maximus

I rest my case! That's actually pretty awesome.

I was thinking the same. It would take a real loyal fan 2 do that.

SteelersMongol
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM

Living around a whole lot of Steeler fans here in Ohio, I could say that most of the "criminal element" all sport Steeler flags on their houses and wear Steeler jersys and hats. almost all of the drug and gang related related problems in my area are perpetuated by STEELER FANS... not Browns fans or Bengals fans... or Raider fans... STEELER FANS... all decked out in the bad-ass black and gold. Sucks, doesn't it?

I'm sorry silver & black. As much as I like what U post here in this board, I SERIOUSLY doubt what U just said about the Steelers fans.

U'r not even showing me any unedited photos & video clips 2 convince me. But then again, I don't think I would ever believe that, cuz I would b thinking it's the Bungholes fans or Clowns fans that R f*cking around wearing our stuff. :noidea:

silver & black
04-23-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry silver & black. As much as I like what U post here in this board, I SERIOUSLY doubt what U just said about the Steelers fans.

U'r not even showing me any unedited photos & video clips 2 convince me. But then again, I don't think I would ever believe that, cuz I would b thinking it's the Bungholes fans or Clowns fans that R f*cking around wearing our stuff. :noidea:

Thats because I don't have any video clips or photos... nor do I feel the need to bother with it. I live here... I know what goes on in my small area of the country.

I would imagine that a large number of people in California are Raiders fans... just like a large number of people in Pennsylvania are Steelers fans. It would also go hand in hand that a large number of the crimes commited would be perpetuated by Raider fans in California, and Steeler fans in Pennsylvania... would it not?

The Steelers are very popular where I live... almost more popular than the Browns. A lot if misdeads are done by people wearing Steelers gear... I'm just saying.

Do I think all Steelers fans are ignorant, crime commiting trash?... HELL NO! My mother is a Steelers fan. My best man at my wedding is a die hard Steelers fan. A lot of my friends are Steelers fans.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is to spout such stupid accusations about an entire fanbase based on the actions of a few of them. I know the reputation of the Raiders and their fans. I also know that the VAST MAJORITY of Raiders fans are football loving, good people... just like Steelers fans... or any other fan base.

Tankus_Maximus
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM

When you to the local men's jail, and pick up ANY Raider Jersey for blow-out prices, (Plunkett, Allen, Jackson, Alzado, Brown, etc. etc.)...it's safe to say that the Criminal Element is thriving within The Raider Nation.

Every state has it's own "Black Hole" (some have more than 1), and that is their Correctional Facility, or DOC.

steelreserve
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
The whole thing sounds like an unfortunate mess... where no one wins.

That's basically as good an explanation as any at this point. I'm not really sure whose fault this originally was -- only that a series of huge blunders led to the Raiders leaving Oakland, another series of huge blunders led to them leaving L.A., and when they came back to Oakland, things somehow got screwed up even worse than before.

I don't know who to blame, but it seems like the situation is the result of overall greed between team ownership, the city, and the league -- all coming together in a perfect crapstorm, and the only real losers are the fans.

L.A. will never support an NFL team... they had, and lost 2 of them. There must be a reason why. Goodell can push the issue all he wants, but I doubt L.A. will ever be a city that gives a damn about the NFL.

That I agree with 100 percent. Not entirely sure why, but I definitely got that sense when I lived there. Maybe it's because the city is spread out across 100 miles, maybe it's because there's nothing that really defines the area and makes you feel like a part of it. Or maybe it's because so many people move there from out of town.

But the only pro sports teams that anyone gave a damn about were the Dodgers and the Lakers -- and you got the sense that that was only because those teams were such big, long-standing powers that the experience was like going to see a show. Same thing for USC and UCLA. Nobody gave a rat's ass about the Clippers or the Angels or either of the hockey teams, even when they were good.

Tankus_Maximus
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Thats because I don't have any video clips or photos... nor do I feel the need to bother with it. I live here... I know what goes on in my small area of the country.

I would imagine that a large number of people in California are Raiders fans... just like a large number of people in Pennsylvania are Steelers fans. It would also go hand in hand that a large number of the crimes commited would be perpetuated by Raider fans in California, and Steeler fans in Pennsylvania... would it not?

The Steelers are very popular where I live... almost more popular than the Browns. A lot if misdeads are done by people wearing Steelers gear... I'm just saying.

Do I think all Steelers fans are ignorant, crime commiting trash?... HELL NO! My mother is a Steelers fan. My best man at my wedding is a die hard Steelers fan. A lot of my friends are Steelers fans.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is to spout such stupid accusations about an entire fanbase based on the actions of a few of them. I know the reputation of the Raiders and their fans. I also know that the VAST MAJORITY of Raiders fans are football loving, good people... just like Steelers fans... or any other fan base.

When people generalize, it's generally the truth. Hence "generalization".

Of course, you're probably a law-abiding citizen who pays his/her taxes and never beats their spouth, nor has a meth-lab in their basement. You are the exception to the rule.

But for the most part, The Raider Nation is comprised of scum.

You should be proud & honored to the be exception. Revel in it. Make a shirt out of it. But never lose site that you are the exception, and a rare-breed indeed.

silver & black
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
When people generalize, it's generally the truth. Hence "generalization".

Of course, you're probably a law-abiding citizen who pays his/her taxes and never beats their spouth, nor has a meth-lab in their basement. You are the exception to the rule.

But for the most part, The Raider Nation is comprised of scum.You should be proud & honored to the be exception. Revel in it. Make a shirt out of it. But never lose site that you are the exception, and a rare-breed indeed.

Of course, you're right. What was I thinking? I will just let this go now because I coulden't possibly add anything else to your already stellar position.

I onl;y hope that the Raiders and their fans, and the rest of the NFL and their fans can someday come up to the high standards of the Steelers and their fans... because the Steelers and their fans are just the gosh darndest, bestest, most wholsomest team and fans in all of professional sports! :rolleyes: Gee Wally... do you really think that some day we could be as swell as Steelers fans?

Be careful not to fall.......... thats a pretty high horse you're sitting on.

Jeremy
04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
:popcorn:

The Duke
04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
because the Steelers and their fans are just the gosh darndest, bestest, most wholsomest team and fans in all of professional sports! :

don't forget handsomest :sofunny:

silver & black
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
don't forget handsomest :sofunny:

Damn... I knew I forgot one!

fansince'76
04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Gee Wally... do you really think that some day we could be as swell as Steelers fans?

Pipe down, Beav, ya little goof. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

silver & black
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Pipe down, Beav, ya little goof. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Aw, gee wiz Wally. Eddie said it would be ok if I was just messin and junk. :chuckle:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I was thinking the same. It would take a real loyal fan 2 do that.

Here's a couple of the good ones. ....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/10/court.last.words/index.html

(Court TV) -- Whether it's a sorrowful apology to family or best wishes for sports teams, the final statements of Death Row inmates before execution offer an inside look at the last moments.

Here are a selection compiled by Court TV:

"Redskins are going to the Super Bowl."
-- Bobby Ramdass, executed in Virginia on October 10, 2000

"Go Raiders!"
-- Robert Charles Comer, executed in Arizona on May 22, 2007

"We all got to go sometime, some sooner than others. I'm going to be busy getting the Browns to the Super Bowl. Working magic. I love you guys."
-- James Filiaggi, executed in Ohio on April 24, 2007

"See you all on the other side. Warden, murder me ... I'm ready to roll. Time to get this party started."
-- James Jackson, executed in Texas on February 7, 2007

"I didn't take [the last meal] because I have very strong convictions about abortion and the 33 million babies that have been aborted in this country. Those babies never got a first meal and that's why I didn't take the last in their memory."
-- Ricky Lee Sanderson, executed in North Carolina on January 30, 1998

I want you to know that I did not kill your sister. If you want to know the truth, and you deserve to know the truth, hire your own investigators."
-- Pedro Muniz, executed in Texas on May 19, 1998

"The only thing I want to say is that I appreciate the hospitality you guys have shown me, and the respect. And the last meal was really good. That is about it."
-- James Collier, executed in Texas on December 11, 2002

"To the people of Mexico, I would like to thank them for the help. ... They have suffered enough. Long live Mexico. Raise the flag of Mexico with honor. I love you."
-- Javier Suarez Medina, executed in Texas on August 14, 2002

"Now that I'm dying, there is nothing left to worry about. I know it was a mistake. ... Everybody has problems, and I won't be part of the problem anymore. I can quit worrying now. It was all a mistake. That's all I want to say."
-- James Colburn, executed in Texas on March 26, 2003

"Kick the tires and light the fire. I'm going home to see my son and my mom."
-- Richard Hinojosa, executed in Texas, August 17, 2006

"I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."
-- William George Bonin, executed in California on February 23, 1996

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney."
-- George Harris, executed in Missouri on September 13, 2000

"A few hours ago, Wayne Snow said I had no redeeming qualities. The only thing I've got to say to Wayne Snow is kiss my ass. Bye."
-- William Mitchell, executed in Georgia on September 1, 1987

"I was once asked by somebody, I don't remember who, if there was any way sex offenders could be stopped. I said no. I was wrong."
-- Westley Dodd, executed in Washington on January 5, 1993

"I'd like you to give my love to my family and friends."
-- Ted Bundy, executed in Florida on January 24, 1989

"Let's do it."
-- Gary Gilmore, executed in Utah on January 17, 1977

"To all of the racist white folks in America that hate black folks and to all of the black folks in America that hate themselves: the infamous words of my famous legendary brother, Matt Turner, 'Y'all kiss my black ass.' Let's do it."
-- Brian Roberson, executed in Texas on August 9, 2000

"Please tell the media, I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know."
-- Thomas Grasso, executed in Oklahoma on March 20, 1995

"It's all the state of Oklahoma's fault."
-- Walanzo Dion Robinson, executed in Oklahoma on March 18, 2003

"We're not here for a social event, we're here for a killing."
-- David Wayne Woodruff, executed in Oklahoma on January 31, 2002

"When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, put some headphones on my head and rock and roll me when I'm dead. I'll see you in Heaven someday. "
-- Douglas Roberts, executed in Texas on April 20, 2005

"All right, warden, let's give them what they want."
-- Melvin White, executed in Texas on November 3, 2005

SteelersMongol
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM

The Steelers are very popular where I live... almost more popular than the Browns. A lot if misdeads are done by people wearing Steelers gear... I'm just saying...

I'm telling you man, those fans u'r taling about r nothing but bunch of fake *ss bandwagon jerks. If u r true Steelers fan, u'd know how 2 act when u'r wearing Steelers gear. :tt02:

From your post, it awful sound like I'd stop being Steelers fan if I was living in your area. Is that y u r Raiders fan instead of Steelers one? :wink02: U said your mom was/is Steelers fan. She had no influence on u at all, or u just didn't go this way cuz of your neigborhood surroundings? :noidea:

Rhee Rhee
04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
now what would they name the team if they created a new franchise?

the L.A ______ ?

silver & black
04-25-2008, 05:15 AM
I'm telling you man, those fans u'r taling about r nothing but bunch of fake *ss bandwagon jerks. If u r true Steelers fan, u'd know how 2 act when u'r wearing Steelers gear. :tt02:

From your post, it awful sound like I'd stop being Steelers fan if I was living in your area. Is that y u r Raiders fan instead of Steelers one? :wink02: U said your mom was/is Steelers fan. She had no influence on u at all, or u just didn't go this way cuz of your neigborhood surroundings? :noidea:

I've been a raiders fan since I was 8 years old (1968). The first game I watched that kept my interest long enough to watch the whole thing was the Raiders and the Chiefs. The Raiders won, and I've been a fan ever since.

I could of probably just as easily been a Steelers fan for the same reason. I have to admit that the colors and the logo had a little influence at that age, and since the Steelers wear black too............ lol.

Other than my mother and me, my whole family are Browns fans. None of them can understand why we don't root for the Browns ............. NEVER!

silver & black
04-25-2008, 05:19 AM

the L.A ______ ?

The L.A.......................... Soon To Be Moved?

steelreserve
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I want you to know that I did not kill your sister. If you want to know the truth, and you deserve to know the truth, hire your own investigators."
-- Pedro Muniz, executed in Texas on May 19, 1998

That's odd. I thought Ray Lewis said that.

millwalldavey
04-25-2008, 02:52 PM

the L.A ______ ?

If it's the Chargers, It'll stay the same since they started there.

Jags, Bills, whoever? I like em goin back to the OLD days and calling them the Bulldogs.

Tankus_Maximus
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Bulldogs would be cool.

Jeremy
04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
"I was once asked by somebody, I don't remember who, if there was any way sex offenders could be stopped. I said no. I was wrong."
-- Westley Dodd, executed in Washington on January 5, 1993

Priceless.