PDA

View Full Version : Jets QB's daughter blessed by Pope

tony hipchest
04-20-2008, 01:44 AM
P - O - P- E...! POPE! POPE! POPE!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d4a5e&template=without-video&confirm=true

WASHINGTON -- There's no playbook that could've prepared Kellen Clemens for this.

The New York Jets quarterback was moved to tears Thursday after Pope Benedict XVI blessed and kissed his newborn daughter, Kate Elizabeth, following Benedict's two-hour, open-air Mass at Nationals Park.

Pope Benedict XVI's stop at Nationals Park was part of his six-day visit to the United States.

Benedict was greeting some of the more than 45,000 in attendance when he came upon Clemens, his wife, Nicole, and their nearly 4-week-old baby, who were sitting on the aisle in one of the rows of floor seating.

"My eyes welled up with tears, it was such a moving experience," Clemens said. "I don't really know if we fully understand just how special it was. That's a direct descendant of Peter, and there he is giving a blessing and a kiss to our child."

Clemens and his family were in Washington as part of the group Catholic Athletes For Christ.

"To have the day unfold the way it did was just an awesome experience," Clemens said.

Clemens, who was shaky after winning the starting job midway through last season, will again compete with Chad Pennington for the Jets' No. 1 quarterback spot this preseason.

holy cow! a 2 hour mass???? :drooling: id be moved to tears too.

i wonder how long it will take this feel good story to turn into a bash catholosizm thread or an "only the rich and privileged get to meet the pope" discussion.

maybe whether the pope and clemens support hillary?

the merits of the pope actually being direct descendants of peter?

whether james harrison and his babys momma were invited for a re-baptisim by pope?

is the draft here yet?

anyways, its good to see some nfl players doing more constructive things with their time, than chris henry or "makin it rain" jones.

im not catholic but i know i woulda felt honored to have my daughter blessed by former pope john paul II (the greatest polish pope ever). :tt03:

The Duke
04-20-2008, 02:09 AM
i wonder how long it will take this feel good story to turn into a bash catholosizm thread or an "only the rich and privileged get to meet the pope" discussion.

whether james harrison and his babys momma were invited for a re-baptisim by pope?

whether the bengals suckiness can be fixed by the pope :flap:

My eyes welled up with tears, it was such a moving experience," Clemens said

:sissies:

jk

gotta respect the man, he did manage to beat our steelers last season :banging:

Preacher
04-20-2008, 03:04 AM
P - O - P- E...! POPE! POPE! POPE!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d4a5e&template=without-video&confirm=true

holy cow! a 2 hour mass???? :drooling: id be moved to tears too.

is the draft here yet?

anyways, its good to see some nfl players doing more constructive things with their time, than chris henry or "makin it rain" jones.

im not catholic but i know i woulda felt honored to have my daughter blessed by former pope john paul II (the greatest polish pope ever). :tt03:

Yeah.. I am not even close to being catholic. However it sure was nice to hear of a football player that truly recognizes that the pope shouldn't be kissing is ring... or anything else.

I wonder if Belicheck is now figuring strategy to cheat the pope out of THAT ring?

Boomerang
04-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah.. I am not even close to being catholic. However it sure was nice to hear of a football player that truly recognizes that the pope shouldn't be kissing is ring... or anything else.

I wonder if Belicheck is now figuring strategy to cheat the pope out of THAT ring?

:laughing:Bellicheck will already have cameras there.

HometownGal
04-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it is a very heartwarming story. :smile:

LMAO!!!! :toofunny:

SteelersMongol
04-20-2008, 02:51 PM
:laughing:Bellicheck will already have cameras there.

:rofl: :sign11:

BettisFan
04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
lol sounds fun..

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=HometownGal;387791]I think it is a very heartwarming story. :smile:[QUOTE]

I agree. Heartwarming.