PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Steelers take?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Who should the Steelers take?
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 20, 2008

Columnist John Harris spoke to pro football writers and analysts to get their opinions -- the results might surprise you.

Chances are, the Steelers will select a defensive lineman with the No. 23 overall pick in Saturday's NFL Draft....Or a linebacker who also can play defensive end.... Or an offensive lineman.....Or a running back..... Or a wide receiver.

You get the idea.

In other words, no one really knows what the Steelers will do.

"I don't have a clue," said Houston Chronicle pro football writer John McClain, who's preparing for his 32nd draft. "Nobody knows what anybody else is doing, including the teams."

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said one surprise pick early can throw the entire first round out of whack.

"As soon as a team changes one pick, everything goes awry. It's the domino effect," Kiper said.

"Certainly, (the Steelers) could take an offensive lineman or a linebacker who can play defensive end, but you can usually get them later in the draft.

(North Carolina defensive tackle) Kentwan Balmer, they could get him."

Or not.

"It's hard to say what the Steelers are going to do," Dallas Morning News pro football writer Rick Gosselin said. "There's going to be wide receivers; (California's) DeSean Jackson's probably going to be in that range. There may be a running back there like (Arkansas') Felix Jones or an offensive lineman, maybe a Chris Williams (from Vanderbilt)."

John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com also suggested Jones for the Steelers. Jones is a speedster who played in Darren McFadden's shadow at Arkansas. McFadden is a projected top-10 pick.

"I like Felix Jones. I think he would be a good pick. He'll be there when they draft," Czarnecki said. "I think it's a need."

Sporting News pro football writer Clifton Brown suggested a bigger running back for the Steelers -- Oregon's Jonathan Stewart. Brown said Boston College tackle Gosder Cherilus is another option with the No. 23 pick.

"If (Oregon's) Jonathan Stewart is around, he's a guy I think fits their style. He's more of a Steeler-type back," Brown said. "Cherilus should also be on the board."

Among other players the Steelers have on their draft board, Kiper projects Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves as a second-round pick. Kiper also said that Virginia guard Branden Albert, who's expected to play left tackle in the pros, will be long gone before the Steelers select in the first round.

McClain thinks the Steelers will have an opportunity to choose from a pair of tackles, Pitt's Jeff Otah or Cherilus, if they're set on taking an offensive lineman early.

"The Steelers haven't made a whole lot of mistakes in the (first round)," McClain said. "Otah and Cherilus should both be there when they pick."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_563375.html

Galax Steeler
04-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I guess in in six days we will find out who we are going to take I really like the Johnatan stewart pick if albert is gone which they said he would be long gone by 23.

Bobby_Oler
04-20-2008, 06:31 AM
I don't think the Steelers will take an offensive lineman in round one... the stellar ones will probably be gone by 23. Look corner or running back since the Steelers need more at both positions. Najeh Davenport is as good for a 2 yard loss as he is a 2 yard gain and FWP's leg might slow him down. On the flip side, as I wrote in my editorial, Deshae Townsend is getting older and Bryant McFadden may be demanding more money than he's worth now that he hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent.

Boomerang
04-20-2008, 07:14 AM
All depends on who is taken but i also doubt that top talent OL will still be there,but who knows.

millwalldavey
04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
If top OL talent is gon... go for top talent overall I say.

rdsovchen
04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Stewart would be a fine pick at # 23. We are going to need the depth at running back so why not get a good one now and get some time under his belt before needing one becomes an urgency.

SteelersTilIDie
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
dont sleep on LImas Sweed if he is available or stewart would be a good pick too, maybe OL in the second, Roy Schuening? Forte if not Stewart probably in the third, Talib visited twice, maybe Justin King if he is there in the second, no one really knows

millwalldavey
04-21-2008, 04:39 PM
dont sleep on LImas Sweed if he is available or stewart would be a good pick too, maybe OL in the second, Roy Schuening? Forte if not Stewart probably in the third, Talib visited twice, maybe Justin King if he is there in the second, no one really knows

I like Sweed, but I dunno about round 1

Pidots55
04-21-2008, 05:47 PM
IMO if there isn't any of the Top Tier OL avaiable, i mean Chris Williams, Otah, Albert, Clady, we are going defensive minded :OLB(Groves), CB(Talib, Cason, Jenkins) or DE(Campbell, Merling or Balmer). I don't see the FO going again with WR on the first, but i guess Doucet in the second would be a wonderful pick

PS: sorry for the poor englisch. Brazilian Steeler Fan

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
stewart!

Texasteel
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I am convinced that Cherilus will be our pick at 23.
If Williams make it to the 20th pick I will be holding my breath for about 30 minutes.

lilyoder6
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
like on the vids 2day w/ mike tomlin and colbert..

i think that if the person we want is not there at 23 (stewart/albert/kelly or who ever) we could trade down and get extra picks from rds 2-4...

fat4jc
04-21-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm very high on Sweed, but only if the top OL aren't available. We might as well forget about Albert. Williams and Otah will probably be gone too. If we can't get Clady, Sweed is who I'm hoping we take. He's going to be a freak in this league.

Look for GUARD Chilo Rachal in the 2nd round.