PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may add a bigger complement to RB Parker in draft

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Steelers may add a bigger complement to RB Parker in draft
19 April 2008
Pro Football Weekly

The pre-draft chatter from Pittsburgh is that the Steelers wouldn't mind finding a bigger back to complement, and reduce the wear-and-tear on, RB Willie Parker. However, we're hearing it's unlikely the Steelers would add a back in Round One. The top big back in the draft, Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, is expected to be off the board before the Steelers exercise the No. 23 pick. But with one pick in each of Rounds Two through Six (Nos. 53, 88, 123, 156 and 188, respectively), the Steelers will have a chance to bring in competition for Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell, currently the backs next in line were Parker to miss any time because of injury, as he did a season ago. Former Vikings RB Mewelde Moore, who is most effective in space, is likely to see consistent work in passing situations. However, he's of similar build to Parker and would probably, at most, share carries were Parker to go down.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcnorth

Rhee Rhee
04-20-2008, 07:35 AM
tim hightower.. he's 220 which i dont consider road-grader but he is "bigger"... ran a 4.51 and id say a poor, poor mans marion barber

Galax Steeler
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
tim hightower.. he's 220 which i dont consider road-grader but he is "bigger"... ran a 4.51 and id say a poor, poor mans marion barber

:sofunny::sofunny:

rdsovchen
04-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Why not go Stewart in the first? There is a good chance he will be around at # 23.
Remeber this guy has great potential and was expected to go much higher in the draft until Terf Toe Surgery. IIIFFF he can stay healthy he will be a steal at the bottom of the first, and he definitely won't last beyond the beginning of the second rd.

millwalldavey
04-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been thinking about 'road-grater' types.

What abotu JAvorski Lane from Texas A&M? HUGE and strong. Not worth a draft pick, but may e he'd be nice as a free agent or 7h rounder.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Why not go Stewart in the first? There is a good chance he will be around at # 23.
Remeber this guy has great potential and was expected to go much higher in the draft until Terf Toe Surgery. IIIFFF he can stay healthy he will be a steal at the bottom of the first, and he definitely won't last beyond the beginning of the second rd.

Because when you have a pro bowl RB in Willie Parker...............and a depleted O-line, D-line, WR' group and could use CB depth, you address those and pickup a RB in free agency or later rounds.

Backup RB never needs to be a 1st round pick.

rdsovchen
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
And we have depth at running back?

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Because when you have a pro bowl RB in Willie Parker...............and a depleted O-line, D-line, WR' group and could use CB depth, you address those and pickup a RB in free agency or later rounds.

Backup RB never needs to be a 1st round pick.

It's not a backup. In today's NFL, you need a #1 and a #!A at running back. Otherwise you burn out your #1 long before his time.

Elvis
04-21-2008, 12:03 PM
:doh: Does anyone here remember how it felt to see Jerome Bettis ( a.k.a. the Bus) run through defenses until they didnt want anymore?... Boy, I do and I would love to see that again in Pittsburgh. Stewart maybe the answer and maybe he isnt, but I would love to see that kind of back back here again in Black N Gold
:hatsoff:

Elvis
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
44Davenport, Najeh (http://www.nfl.com/players/najehdavenport/profile?id=DAV005111)RB6'1"2472/8/19797Miami (Fla.)Vincent, Justin (http://www.nfl.com/players/justinvincent/profile?id=VIN398096)RB5'10"2191/25/19831Louisiana StateMoore, Mewelde (http://www.nfl.com/players/meweldemoore/profile?id=MOO557284)RB5'11"2097/24/19825Tulane33Russell, Gary (http://www.nfl.com/players/garyrussell/profile?id=RUS517604)RB5'11"2159/8/19862MinnesotaLatsko, Billy (http://www.nfl.com/players/billylatsko/profile?id=LAT612631)RB5'10"2302/16/19841Florida39Parker, Willie (http://www.nfl.com/players/willieparker/profile?id=PAR468944)RB5'10"20911/11/19805North Carolina

These are the Running Backs on our roster as of right now. What does each bring to us in your opinions?

Elvis
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
39 Willie Parker 5'10" 209 lbs
I think that all his stats and playing time speaks volumes for this young man. Undrafted free agent that was leading the league before his injury behind a so-so oline. I think that his job is safe considering all goes well with rehab after breaking his leg.
44 Najeh Davenport 6'1" 247 lbs
This guy just isnt the answer for a power back for our offense to depend on. He turns his back to the line too much and there is still a huge need for a power back.
33 Gary Russell 5'11" 215 lbs
This guy looked pretty good last preseason and it will be interesting to see this guy get some more carries that Davenport got last season. This guy runs with power and hits the hole quickly which Davenport lacks.
Melwede Moore 5'11" 210 lbs
I really believe from all the highlights that I have heard and seen from this guy that he can be a great asset on 3rd downs and passing downs and returns punts as well. I think this guy is gonna make a good impact on our team.

Now with Justin Vincent at 5'10" 219 lbs and Billy Lotsko at 5'10 230 lbs as the other players on our roster at RB, I could see the Steelers selecting a power back in the upcoming draft. It will be an interesting weekend this upcoming weekend.
:tt02:

rdsovchen
04-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Obviously, Willie is Willie. He is our # 1 feature guy. He will do another 1700 + yds again this year barring INJURY!!!
Moore will be great for returns and catching passes out of the backfield.
All others we can live without.
Davenport loses as many yards as he gains.
A blocking back can be replaced witha good blocking tight end.

We need the "Bruiser" type back in our backfield. Someone that will punish the opposing defense and gain the 3 yards on 3rd or 4th down.

Godfather
04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Jacob Hester would be an awesome bruiser for the Steelers. Played for LSU...one fumble his entire college career, put the team on his back in the Florida game. Heart of a champion and will probably be available in the 3rd round.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Jacob Hester would be an awesome bruiser for the Steelers. Played for LSU...one fumble his entire college career, put the team on his back in the Florida game. Heart of a champion and will probably be available in the 3rd round.

Hester will be available in the 6th by all reports and would be good value there for the steelers. But a bruiser like felton would possibly be just that bit better.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2008, 05:05 AM
I would like to see willie,moore ,russell, and another good back out of the draft to be our running game this season.

rdsovchen
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I do not like to play the devil's advocate, but I will! What happens if Willie goes down again, this time at the beginning of the season? Where does that leave us?

revefsreleets
04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
That's why they'll take Stewart if he's there. He carried the ball 280 times last year, so he can definitely shoulder the "every down back" load.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
That's why they'll take Stewart if he's there. He carried the ball 280 times last year, so he can definitely shoulder the "every down back" load.

I think the only "1st round" back that will be available at #23 will be Felix Jones,,,and he isnt what we are looking for.

revefsreleets
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I think the only "1st round" back that will be available at #23 will be Felix Jones,,,and he isnt what we are looking for.

That's the thing, though...will other teams? We don't need another Willie Parker, but some teams might have Jones or even Mendenhall higher.

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
i think felix jones will be drafted by the cowboys b4 us... it will be interresting

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
That's the thing, though...will other teams? We don't need another Willie Parker, but some teams might have Jones or even Mendenhall higher.

From my mock draft picks:

1) Miami: Long, Jake
2) St. Louis: Long, Chris
3) Atlanta: Ryan, Matt
4) Oakland: Dorsey, Glenn
5) Kansas City: Clady, Ryan
6) New York: McFadden, Darren
7) New England: Gholston, Vernon
8) Baltimore: McKelvin, Leodis
9) Cincinnati: Ellis, Sedrick
10) New Orleans: Talib, Aqib
11) Buffalo:Thomas, Devin
12) Denver: Williams, Chris
13) Carolina: Harvey, Derrick
14) Chicago: Otah, Jeff
15) Detroit: Mendenhall, Rashard
16) Arizona: Stewart, Jonathan
17) Minnesota: Merling, Phillip
18) Houston: Rodgers-Cromartie, D.
19) Philadelphia: Albert, Branden
20) Tampa Bay: Hardy, James
21) Washington: Campbell, Calais
22) Dallas: Jones, Felix
23) Pittsburgh: Cherilus, Gosder
24) Tennessee: Sweed, Limas
25) Seattle: Jackson, DeSean
26) Jacksonville: Balmer, Kentwan
27) San Diego: Mayo, Jerod
28) Dallas: Cason, Antoine
29) San Francisco: Rivers, Keith
30) Green Bay: Jenkins, Mike
31) New York: Phillips, Kenny

rdsovchen
04-22-2008, 04:27 PM
In my opinion, I feel you have a lot of picks in the appropriate spots. However, Arizona is high on Mendenhall but he'll be snatched by Detroit at # 15. Arizona has other pressing needs so I do not see them reaching for Stewart this high. They can easily snatch one of the best corners of the draft here which is another weakness for them. That being said, Dallas will still take Felix at # 22, leaving Stewart available at #23. Then again, this is what makes draft day so fun! You just don't know what anybody else is going to do until the announcement at the podium. (Except for Miami at # 1)

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
In my opinion, I feel you have a lot of picks in the appropriate spots. However, Arizona is high on Mendenhall but he'll be snatched by Detroit at # 15.

Sure? I think they'll jump on a WR @ 15 :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Who was the last RB that the Steelers took in round 1???

Was it Tim Worley or Franco Harris??

rdsovchen
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Sure? I think they'll jump on a WR @ 15 :rofl:

They just might:laughing:, I hear that Detroit Motor City smog has an affect on the brain:rofl:

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Who was the last RB that the Steelers took in round 1???

Was it Tim Worley or Franco Harris??

Worley. HAwthorne was actually drafted between Worley and HArris in 79

faneca05
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I think before we draft a RB in this draft we see if gary russell can fill that power back role because he was a pretty solid back in college.

millwalldavey
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I think before we draft a RB in this draft we see if gary russell can fill that power back role because he was a pretty solid back in college.

True. People seem to forget that he was also a 1000 rusher in split duty at Minnesota.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
With Alexander out in Seattle, I wonder if they will look to trade up? They have GOT to be interested in Stewart, especially since he's local.

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
likes i said.. us drafting will be affected now by the cheifs having the vikings number 1 pick... they need help in a lot of areas and them drafting there and number 5 could hurt us a lil.. like maybe a lineman could of dropped to us.. but now the chiefs might/most likely take him

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM

True that Russell has great potential, I really hope he turns out to be the deal. But, I think a RB will be added to compete in camp either as a draft pick or UFA.

Davenport will be gone next season, if not this season and Parker, Moore, Russell isnt enough.

As for Russell gaining 1000 yds in college.....who cares?? Nobody seems to care that Mike Hart gained 5000 yds in the Big Ten....its all about what you can do at the NFL level.

millwalldavey
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
True that Russell has great potential, I really hope he turns out to be the deal. But, I think a RB will be added to compete in camp either as a draft pick or UFA.

Davenport will be gone next season, if not this season and Parker, Moore, Russell isnt enough.

As for Russell gaining 1000 yds in college.....who cares?? Nobody seems to care that Mike Hart gained 5000 yds in the Big Ten....its all about what you can do at the NFL level.

True.. apples and oranges... but 1000 yards in the Big Ten is still a pretty good pedigree IMHO.

lilyoder6
04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
look at ron dayne.. he was a beast at wisconsin... and he had a good career in the nfl but nothing like he did in college

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
True.. apples and oranges... but 1000 yards in the Big Ten is still a pretty good pedigree IMHO.

I agree with you, but then why does nobody care about Mike Hart?? Do they just think he is gonna be Jonathan Wells, Mo Clarett, Ron Dayne, etc.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree with you, but then why does nobody care about Mike Hart?? Do they just think he is gonna be Jonathan Wells, Mo Clarett, Ron Dayne, etc.

from what little I have seen he can play. Why then is everybody so DOWN on him?
He seems to have one major quality that counts and that is heart. Why he just remain a boy playing in a mans league???

BettisFan
04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I dont know if Gary can really come close to what he used to do.

billybob
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
i think at running back we are pretty good for now.i actually like davenport.he had a 4.0 at least ypc.very few touches.he is basically fresh,cause he was never run hard.he can return punts too!everything he was asked to do,he responded pretty well.you all forget the lack of a pass rush last year.ben was a pro-bowl player,but yet everyone is concerned with the o-line.defense wins games.in my opinion we could use a little more power on the d-line,to help collapse the pocket,and help create some more fumbles,and interceptions.coverage down the field helps too.defense is the steelers game,and i know we won't be steered wrong with this draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2008, 11:32 PM
from what little I have seen he can play. Why then is everybody so DOWN on him?
He seems to have one major quality that counts and that is heart. Why he just remain a boy playing in a mans league???

Hart is seen as small and slow, but is similar in size to Maurice Jones Drew, although nowhere near as fast. He has an uncanny ability to follow his block and burst thru the hole and will not be arm tackled, but is running away from nobody.

Really reminds me of Joe Morris of the Giants in the late 80's, early 90's. Somebody will draft him and get a productive #2 back that makes a living between the tackles....but will never break a run longer than 25 yards.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
:doh: Does anyone here remember how it felt to see Jerome Bettis ( a.k.a. the Bus) run through defenses until they didnt want anymore?... Boy, I do and I would love to see that again in Pittsburgh. Stewart maybe the answer and maybe he isnt, but I would love to see that kind of back back here again in Black N Gold
:hatsoff:

mendenhall was the answer, but still, i agree.