PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin intent on improving Steelers' defensive line

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Tomlin intent on improving Steelers' defensive line
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 21, 2008

Great pass rusher or great defensive back?
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left no doubt what he wants.

"Great pass rusher -- because the ball never comes out," Tomlin told reporters at the recent NFL owners meetings in Florida.

The Steelers recorded 36 sacks in 2007. Tomlin wants and expects more sacks in 2008.

However, it's not as if the Steelers' defense struggled. The numbers prove that.
The team finished with the NFL's top-ranked defense last season -- No. 2 against the pass and No. 2 against the run.

Unfortunately, in the biggest games against the best teams, the Steelers couldn't overcome their lack of a consistent pass rush from their traditional 3-4 alignment.

Remember that as the Steelers prepare for the draft this weekend.

Potential Steelers first-round draft picks include North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling and Miami defensive end Calais Campbell.

"If you want to apply pressure to the quarterback, I think it starts first and foremost with your ability to apply pressure with your rushmen, your people that are paid to do it," Tomlin said.

The Steelers plan to stick with the 3-4. So, they need their linebackers to become more active pass rushers, their interior line to generate more of a push upfield or, ideally, a better combination of the two.

Based on last year's sack total, the Steelers' top pass rushers were all linebackers.

Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison led the team with 8 1/2 sacks, inside linebacker James Farrior had six, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley had four in limited action and inside linebacker Larry Foote had three.

Up front, defensive ends Aaron Smith (2 1/2) and Brett Keisel (2) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (1) accounted for 5 1/2 sacks.

That may not be enough for Tomlin, who's a fan of the way the Super Bowl champion New York Giants generated a pass rush without blitzing.

New York led the NFL with 53 sacks -- six more than New England, which lost to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

Quick, name the 2007 Giants' starting secondary.

Give up?

Just know that the Steelers have a better secondary than the Giants, while the Giants have a better pass rush than the Steelers.

"I have a passion for those rushers, man. Those guys are unique animals," Tomlin said. "When you have them, you have a chance to play great defense, and when you have a chance to play great defense, you have a chance to win."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_563435.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Tomlin intent on improving Steelers' defensive line
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 21, 2008

Great pass rusher or great defensive back?
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left no doubt what he wants.

"Great pass rusher -- because the ball never comes out," Tomlin told reporters at the recent NFL owners meetings in Florida.

The Steelers recorded 36 sacks in 2007. Tomlin wants and expects more sacks in 2008.

However, it's not as if the Steelers' defense struggled. The numbers prove that.
The team finished with the NFL's top-ranked defense last season -- No. 2 against the pass and No. 2 against the run.

Unfortunately, in the biggest games against the best teams, the Steelers couldn't overcome their lack of a consistent pass rush from their traditional 3-4 alignment.

Remember that as the Steelers prepare for the draft this weekend.

Potential Steelers first-round draft picks include North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling and Miami defensive end Calais Campbell.

"If you want to apply pressure to the quarterback, I think it starts first and foremost with your ability to apply pressure with your rushmen, your people that are paid to do it," Tomlin said.

The Steelers plan to stick with the 3-4. So, they need their linebackers to become more active pass rushers, their interior line to generate more of a push upfield or, ideally, a better combination of the two.

Based on last year's sack total, the Steelers' top pass rushers were all linebackers.

Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison led the team with 8 1/2 sacks, inside linebacker James Farrior had six, outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley had four in limited action and inside linebacker Larry Foote had three.

Up front, defensive ends Aaron Smith (2 1/2) and Brett Keisel (2) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (1) accounted for 5 1/2 sacks.

That may not be enough for Tomlin, who's a fan of the way the Super Bowl champion New York Giants generated a pass rush without blitzing.

New York led the NFL with 53 sacks -- six more than New England, which lost to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

Quick, name the 2007 Giants' starting secondary.

Give up?

Just know that the Steelers have a better secondary than the Giants, while the Giants have a better pass rush than the Steelers.

"I have a passion for those rushers, man. Those guys are unique animals," Tomlin said. "When you have them, you have a chance to play great defense, and when you have a chance to play great defense, you have a chance to win."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_563435.html

This is gonna shake up ALOT of draft boards and give some of us draft geeks some food for thought!!!

Steel Pit
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
You know, I REALLY SHOULD GO THERE, but I won't. You know what I mean? Yeah, some of you know what I mean. Those of you who have in past threads, TRASHED the poor rating that I've given to our defensive linemen.

Yes I know, according to some of you, our defensive linemen are AWESOME and they totally do the task required of them in a 3-4 defensive scheme which is to "occupy blockers" thus clearing the way for the Linebackers. LMAO!

""""If you want to apply pressure to the quarterback, I think it starts first and foremost with your ability to apply pressure with your rushmen, your people that are paid to do it," Tomlin said.""""

People that are paid to apply pressure, yup,yup,yup. Right on Mike, they're paid to apply pressure, NOT OCCUPY BLOCKERS!

Sorry nay sayers, I'll take the coaches word on this topic. Coach says we need better defensive linemen, I've said it for a few years running. YAHTZEE baby! :nana:

LambertLunatic
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Sorry nay sayers, I'll take the coaches word on this topic

Rule # 1 NEVER take a coach's word before a draft. Coaches are known to blow smokescreens to hide their true intentions before a draft.

The Steelers just signed Starks to a 6.9 million dollar contract for 1 year. This wasn't because they think Starks is worth that much, but because there was no other choice. Do you really believe they'll allow themselves to be put in a similar position next year? I still look for an O lineman in round 1

SteelFist
04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
You know, I REALLY SHOULD GO THERE, but I won't. You know what I mean? Yeah, some of you know what I mean. Those of you who have in past threads, TRASHED the poor rating that I've given to our defensive linemen.

Yes I know, according to some of you, our defensive linemen are AWESOME and they totally do the task required of them in a 3-4 defensive scheme which is to "occupy blockers" thus clearing the way for the Linebackers. LMAO!

""""If you want to apply pressure to the quarterback, I think it starts first and foremost with your ability to apply pressure with your rushmen, your people that are paid to do it," Tomlin said.""""

People that are paid to apply pressure, yup,yup,yup. Right on Mike, they're paid to apply pressure, NOT OCCUPY BLOCKERS!

Sorry nay sayers, I'll take the coaches word on this topic. Coach says we need better defensive linemen, I've said it for a few years running. YAHTZEE baby! :nana:

The 3-4 DE is still required to occupy blockers. In passing situations though, it would be nice to have better pass rushers on the field than whom we have now (e.g. Ray Seals - 1995).

Sorry, but the same rules still apply for DE's in the 3-4.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Maybe they didnt explain themselves properly...the role of the 3-4 DE is in fact to rush the QB...however the 3-4 DE's are traditionally bigger and stronger than 4-3 DE's for the express purpose of taking up blockers as they bull their way into the backfield...this in turn should open up lanes and helps the LB's to rush the QB.
You are right in saying that they are to get to the QB...but the "naysayers" are also correct in saying that they are to take up blockers.
Hope this helps and I hope those who were giving you crap realize that they were only half right.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
A 3-4 DE that creates pressure on the QB in passing situations makes the QB move his feet, stop looking downfield and look to escape the rush. That is when a quicker LB ususally gets their sacks. A productive DE doesnt actually need to get sacks (although nice) as much as disrupt the pocket and get upfield.

I have posted here that Keisel does nothing in the pass game but attempt to bull rush the OT and normally gets stalled at the Line of Scrimmage, only occupying one blocker and not collapsing the pocket. After Keisel, there is a huge drop in talent to Eason and Kirshke.

DE is a huge need for this team, but most like to focus on the high profile positions and thinking we need to draft a RB, WR, CB or S.

Winning football starts UP FRONT........where the REAL MEN play!

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
So what this article is telling me, is bottom line, we are drafting an Olineman in the first round.

Hapa
04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
He's falling for what happens after every superbowl:

The champion that win's greatest strength always becomes the fad of the league... and Tomlin is doing just this.

Elvis
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I just think that the Steelers will select the best available player at 23 this year. I have thought they would take an O lineman all along, but the last couple weeks have me looking at different things.

DE- We all seen how our line performed after Aaron Smith went down. We need help there and I think that Tomlin will take care of that early in the draft.

LB- Quintin Groves may just be TOO Good to pass up at 23 if he is still around and he would definitely add passrusher to our list of LB's and OLB James Harrison isnt very young either.

DB- Justin King would be a nice pickup at 23 as well in my opinion, but do you draft him that high in reality?

This all comes back to in my opinion, if one of the Big 4 OT's are still on the board at 23 I think that the Steelers must take'em.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Quentin Groves will go in the middle of the 2nd round at the highest. Too many questions about him.

The Duke
04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
So what this article is telling me, is bottom line, we are drafting an Olineman in the first round.

you mean it's a smokescreen. or maybe it's a smokescreen covering another mokescreen :tap:

or maybe....uh, too much thinking

I would like a pass rusher, but I'm happy with what aaron smith and hampton do in cloging the line. keisel could be better, he's had his flashes. a pass rusher that comes in on 3rd downs could do it

is the draft here yet :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Its a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Same thing happened when we took Miller, we mentioned TE early on, then balked and talked about all these other positions...then we drafted Miller...funny...

now we know, everyone knows, we need some o-line help. Its so obvious that the first thing we do is bring in some Tackles to look at. Then suddenly, its "nothing is out of the question" "skill position players" "corners aren't out of the realm of posibility" "d-linemen are a need"

when its all said and done, I really think they want that Albert kid from Virginia. We'll see how it plays out and if we don't make a move to push up to grab him, but if by the time we pick, a Great prospect isn't on the board, only then will we draft someone other than O-line.

lilyoder6
04-21-2008, 05:11 PM
we could get a player like trevor laws from nd in the 2nd as a pass rusher... he haad a good career at nd and could be a nice draft..

but we can talk about what if and what if.... but it just depends on the teams ahead of us and who they draft, that will affect who we draft... so in 4 and half days we'll find out...

19ward86
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
nice read.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
we could get a player like trevor laws from nd in the 2nd as a pass rusher... he haad a good career at nd and could be a nice draft..

but we can talk about what if and what if.... but it just depends on the teams ahead of us and who they draft, that will affect who we draft... so in 4 and half days we'll find out...

I like Laws game a lot, but think he fits in as a 4-3 DT. I still would be pleased if we got him in the 2nd, but also think he will be gone by then.

I personally love guys that can just play despite what the measurables are. Laws, Jordy Nelson, Jacob Hester, Mike Hart, Zibikowsi, etc.

FourThreeMafia
04-21-2008, 07:08 PM

If you are going to say "I told you so", you should at least know what you are talking about. You dont.

You people do realize that not all 3-4 defenses are run the same, dont you?

All 3-4 teams use some style of the two-gap technique, which calls for the nose tackle to fill the A gaps on either side of the center and for the ends to take care of the B and C gaps between the guards and tackles and outside the tackle, respectively. The idea is to fill both gaps and delay, if not prevent, blockers from reaching the second level, thereby creating open lanes to the football for the inside linebackers.

Pittsburgh's linemen do lots of stunting and penetrating, forcing the ballcarrier to commit to a hole. The Patriots linemen, on the other hand, are asked to simply hold their positions and tie up blockers. Linemen in the 3-4 often aren't in the best position to make tackles, hence their typically low totals. And since they aren't shooting through gaps like 4-3 linemen, they don't make very many stops behind the line of scrimmage, either. This is truer for the nose tackles, who deal with more of a variety of double teams than their 4-3 counterparts, who are already aligned in gaps.

Richard Seymour is considered one of the best 3-4 DEs. Sacks are a bonus for pocket-pushing nose tackles, ends in the 3-4 tend to collect a few more, but they are inhibited by their responsibilities versus the run and don't put up the same kind of numbers as 4-3 ends.

Before an end can get after the quarterback, he has to first make certain a draw isn't coming through the B gap (between the guard and tackle). The end also has bootleg duty. If there's run action inside, the ends first reaction should be to hit the "B" gap, and if nothing's coming, hustle back outside to contain the quarterback.

The responsibility of a 3-4 end is much harder than the responsibility of a 4-3 end. In the 4-3, DEs are on the edge and have great angles for stopping the run, and great angles for rushing the quarterback. That's why those guys get sacks.

3-4 DEs dont have that luxury, but look at Aaron Smiths numbers in 2004 with his 8 sacks. We also had a better DE opposite him in KVO. Sacks and QB pressures are a bonus for 3-4 DEs. Keisel needs to be upgraded, because he is very average as a starting DE. He was better as a situational pass rusher.

Thats why 3-4 DEs like Aaron Smith are so underrated. Because they get overlooked because they dont get to put up stats like 4-3 DEs.

We do need an upgrade for Keisel, but I doubt anyone we draft this year will start at any point in 2008. We also need an injection of quality youth for depth on the DLine.

Anyone that says Hampton or Smith need replaced need to go watch tennis or golf or something that might be easier to follow. They are both in the top 3 at what they do.

Keisel is the weakest link.

SteelerFanInATL
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know in which order it will come, but I think we are looking at an O linemen &
D linemen with our 1 & 2 picks after reading this. Can't wait til this saturday. :tt03:

lilyoder6
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
keisal is the weakest link.. he is a good player to come in and give a breather and just pass rush... laws could be there late in the 2nd 4 us and i think that would be a nice pickup.. he is a good de and could help us out nicely

Steel Pit
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
If you are going to say "I told you so", you should at least know what you are talking about. You dont.

You people do realize that not all 3-4 defenses are run the same, dont you?

All 3-4 teams use some style of the two-gap technique, which calls for the nose tackle to fill the A gaps on either side of the center and for the ends to take care of the B and C gaps between the guards and tackles and outside the tackle, respectively. The idea is to fill both gaps and delay, if not prevent, blockers from reaching the second level, thereby creating open lanes to the football for the inside linebackers.

Pittsburgh's linemen do lots of stunting and penetrating, forcing the ballcarrier to commit to a hole. The Patriots linemen, on the other hand, are asked to simply hold their positions and tie up blockers. Linemen in the 3-4 often aren't in the best position to make tackles, hence their typically low totals. And since they aren't shooting through gaps like 4-3 linemen, they don't make very many stops behind the line of scrimmage, either. This is truer for the nose tackles, who deal with more of a variety of double teams than their 4-3 counterparts, who are already aligned in gaps.

Richard Seymour is considered one of the best 3-4 DEs. Sacks are a bonus for pocket-pushing nose tackles, ends in the 3-4 tend to collect a few more, but they are inhibited by their responsibilities versus the run and don't put up the same kind of numbers as 4-3 ends.

Before an end can get after the quarterback, he has to first make certain a draw isn't coming through the B gap (between the guard and tackle). The end also has bootleg duty. If there's run action inside, the ends first reaction should be to hit the "B" gap, and if nothing's coming, hustle back outside to contain the quarterback.

The responsibility of a 3-4 end is much harder than the responsibility of a 4-3 end. In the 4-3, DEs are on the edge and have great angles for stopping the run, and great angles for rushing the quarterback. That's why those guys get sacks.

3-4 DEs dont have that luxury, but look at Aaron Smiths numbers in 2004 with his 8 sacks. We also had a better DE opposite him in KVO. Sacks and QB pressures are a bonus for 3-4 DEs. Keisel needs to be upgraded, because he is very average as a starting DE. He was better as a situational pass rusher.

Thats why 3-4 DEs like Aaron Smith are so underrated. Because they get overlooked because they dont get to put up stats like 4-3 DEs.

We do need an upgrade for Keisel, but I doubt anyone we draft this year will start at any point in 2008. We also need an injection of quality youth for depth on the DLine.

Anyone that says Hampton or Smith need replaced need to go watch tennis or golf or something that might be easier to follow. They are both in the top 3 at what they do.

Keisel is the weakest link.

Thanks FourThreeMafia, that's why you're here, to feed us all a bit of your expertise relating to the 3-4 defensive scheme. Man, could it be that you are Dick LeBeau himself? Wow, I think that I just corresponded with Dick LeBeau.

Sure I realize that all 3-4 defenses are not run the same. Do you know why they're not run the same? It's called personnel. If you don't have the type of DE's that are capable of pressuring the QB then you simply ask them to "occupy blockers" or assign them to certain gaps.

I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else on this topic. You read the freaking article with Coach Tomlin's quotes. Is that a pre-draft smokescreen. I don't freaking think so, if it is, I wouldn't call it a very wise move. He essentialy questioned the pass rushing abilities of his defensive linemen. I hope that he cleared it with them prior to airing this "alleged smokescreen".

Tomlin feels that the Steelers need better defensive linemen. I agree, so let's not assume that you know what you're talking about, maybe you don't! Go argue with Tomlin.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2008, 04:49 AM
We all know what kind of deffense he had in minnesota sounds like to me we are going to have one hell of a deffense coming in the next year or two.

FourThreeMafia
04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks FourThreeMafia, that's why you're here, to feed us all a bit of your expertise relating to the 3-4 defensive scheme. Man, could it be that you are Dick LeBeau himself? Wow, I think that I just corresponded with Dick LeBeau.

Sure I realize that all 3-4 defenses are not run the same. Do you know why they're not run the same? It's called personnel. If you don't have the type of DE's that are capable of pressuring the QB then you simply ask them to "occupy blockers" or assign them to certain gaps.

I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else on this topic. You read the freaking article with Coach Tomlin's quotes. Is that a pre-draft smokescreen. I don't freaking think so, if it is, I wouldn't call it a very wise move. He essentialy questioned the pass rushing abilities of his defensive linemen. I hope that he cleared it with them prior to airing this "alleged smokescreen".

Tomlin feels that the Steelers need better defensive linemen. I agree, so let's not assume that you know what you're talking about, maybe you don't! Go argue with Tomlin.

Tell me, where in that article did he say he isnt happy with the DLine? Point out where he said he isnt happy with the DLine or that we need better DLineman. If you cant, just tuck your tail between your legs and walk away.

Read the article again, the title is misleading. Tomlin didnt mean the DLine needed better lineman, he was referring to addressing the pass rush. Tell me ONE 3-4 team that relies on its DLine for its primary pass rush.

The pass rush in the 3-4 comes primarily from the OLBs. Thats why the Steelers have brought in guys like Quentin Groves, Shawn Crable and Cliff Avril. The 3-4 DLineman the Steelers have brought in for visits are Jason Jones, Red Bryant, Dre Moore and Kendall Langford, none of which would come in and start over ANY player on our DLine.

Try reading the entire article next time, slick.

Steel Pit
04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Tell me, where in that article did he say he isnt happy with the DLine? Point out where he said he isnt happy with the DLine or that we need better DLineman. If you cant, just tuck your tail between your legs and walk away.

Read the article again, the title is misleading. Tomlin didnt mean the DLine needed better lineman, he was referring to addressing the pass rush. Tell me ONE 3-4 team that relies on its DLine for its primary pass rush.

The pass rush in the 3-4 comes primarily from the OLBs. Thats why the Steelers have brought in guys like Quentin Groves, Shawn Crable and Cliff Avril. The 3-4 DLineman the Steelers have brought in for visits are Jason Jones, Red Bryant, Dre Moore and Kendall Langford, none of which would come in and start over ANY player on our DLine.

Try reading the entire article next time, slick.

Why don't you try reading the headline "Slick"! Tomlin intent on improving Steelers' defensive line.

Did the publisher make up the headline? Who knows. I wasn't at the interview, I assume that you weren't at the interview, so I have to take the reporters word for it. Obviously the reporter walked away with the impression that Tomlin wants to improve the Steelers defensive line.

Dude, you have your opinion and that's freaking fine. I've already stated that I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about this topic. I have my opinion, being that the Steelers defensive line DOES NOT impress me.

You act as if you're right simply because you disagree with me. Sorry pal, I don't believe that you're the ruler of the universe or even remotely close so all that we have here are differing opinions. That's what makes the United States of America great, we don't have to be force fed something that we don't have a taste for.

Good day Sir.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2008, 12:12 AM
How about this comment from Tomlin just before the Senior Bowl

Coach Mike Tomlin said it best at the final news conference of his first season in charge. The Steelers need an infusion of young legs to complement their veteran talent.

"We could use young people, young developing people in a lot of areas,'' Tomlin said. "If I could identify anything at this point, I would say we need young, big people.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_548444.html

I take "young, big people" to mean O-line and D-line, but considering that Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Kirschke, Eason, Hoke arent exactly young guys I would say coach T wants some young guys on the D-line. Even Sherlock Holmes could figure that out.

Welcome To Smashmouth
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
While a DE would be a more 'flashy' pick in the 1st, I really and truly am pulling for an Offensive Line pick for the first time in my young years. It might not sound as exciting at its immediate sounding, but if we can land a solid starter to the shaky line of last year (with Faneca mind you) then I do believe we've accomplished what was in the best interest of the team

Now if we land a solid End in the 2nd-3rd round then we've just got it made, right ;)

ricksteelers55
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
You know what,I'm willing to bet a lot of money that our O-Line is not as bad as people tend to believe,therefore I still think we have more pressing needs than O-Line.

My draft needs are

1-DE
2-WR
3-RB
4-OL
5-DB

I know a lot of people will blast me on that one but hey that's fine with me.

First we saw last year with Aaron's injury how important he is for the D-Line or maybe how Brett isnt that effective.You have no idea how the addition of a good and solid 3-4 DE would improve our Pass Rushing abilities and then put less pressure on our DB's who are not that bad for the record.

Another solid DE could help giving more holes to our very talented Pass Rushers like Woodley,Harrison and probably even Timmons.

Then the WR...with Ward who isnt getting any younger,and Washington who is dropping more than he should...Holmes seems to be the only future for the organisation at WR.Therefore we really need to address the WR corps early in this draft.James Hardy would be for me the most intriguing option because of his size and speed for his size.

The RB situation is the most controversy in the Steelers Nation probably.Some people think we should adress OL,CB before ...I think RB is A MUST.Do we have a good backfield ? The answer is NO.Then why was Willie the NFL leading rusher ? Probably because he was the only real RB in Pitt last year compare to guys like Tomlinson,Taylor or Peterson who split their carries with RB in their respective teams.Not only would drafting a RB give a breather to FWP but it would help our offense to be more dangerous and effective.How many short yardage did we convert last year? Not enough.So no I'm no going to be the guy who absolutely wants a RB to be taken in the 1st round but we should take a serious look at it.

So here's guys that I would love to see in a Steelers uniform monday

DE: Calais Campbell/Kendall Langford
LB: Shawn Crable/Quentin Groves
WR: James Hardy/Andre Caldwell
RB: Jonathan Stewart/Matt Forte/Kevin Smith
DB: Justin King/Dajuan Morgan/Tracy Porter
OL: Jeff Otah/Brandon Albert/Gosder Cherilus

Preacher
04-24-2008, 07:32 PM
UM... Steel Pit...

Coaches run different 3-4 schemes because they like those schemes. Personal, over time, are picked to fit the scheme ran. The fire-blitz scheme is very dependent on lanes opening up and thus, 2 cap coverage from the line.. Meanwhile, a 3-4 cover-2 is much more dependent on an overall push from the front 3 and not as much 2 gap coverage.

What this REALLY sounds like, is the beginnings of a hybrid defense between LeBeau and Tomlin by which we run the 3-4 base that can flex between cover-2 and fire blitz. Now look at the personal we have. Troy which can play in the cover 2 or fire-blitz, Timmons who actually played CB for a couple snaps last preseason.. and did it WELL, A. Smith who, if he gets his head on straight, can defend deep, and come up quite quickly.

With the problems we have had in this decade against the pass, I LOVE that concept. Don't forget, starting in 2002, people figured out how to beat the zone-blitz. Throw the quick route. 2004 we won as much because of our offense running the ball as anything we did on defense. 2005 was somewhat the same, with better coverage skills from Ike. So if we move to a hybrid. . . it seems, with the right calls... we get the best of both worlds. man, i can't wait. Oh yeah.. and that IS some of what you saw last year. . . when everyone was screaming for the rush.. we were in cover-2. . . and look at how we did against the pass. So this comment by the coach makes sense... it is a continual path to hybrid D. and I say COME ON!

You can't take what is said now and project it backwards. As I said, I really see us morphing the defensive style again.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-24-2008, 08:17 PM
UM... Steel Pit...

Coaches run different 3-4 schemes because they like those schemes. Personal, over time, are picked to fit the scheme ran. The fire-blitz scheme is very dependent on lanes opening up and thus, 2 cap coverage from the line.. Meanwhile, a 3-4 cover-2 is much more dependent on an overall push from the front 3 and not as much 2 gap coverage.

What this REALLY sounds like, is the beginnings of a hybrid defense between LeBeau and Tomlin by which we run the 3-4 base that can flex between cover-2 and fire blitz. Now look at the personal we have. Troy which can play in the cover 2 or fire-blitz, Timmons who actually played CB for a couple snaps last preseason.. and did it WELL, A. Smith who, if he gets his head on straight, can defend deep, and come up quite quickly.

With the problems we have had in this decade against the pass, I LOVE that concept. Don't forget, starting in 2002, people figured out how to beat the zone-blitz. Throw the quick route. 2004 we won as much because of our offense running the ball as anything we did on defense. 2005 was somewhat the same, with better coverage skills from Ike. So if we move to a hybrid. . . it seems, with the right calls... we get the best of both worlds. man, i can't wait. Oh yeah.. and that IS some of what you saw last year. . . when everyone was screaming for the rush.. we were in cover-2. . . and look at how we did against the pass. So this comment by the coach makes sense... it is a continual path to hybrid D. and I say COME ON!

You can't take what is said now and project it backwards. As I said, I really see us morphing the defensive style again.

Aaaaahh.....reason. :drink:

faneca05
04-25-2008, 12:25 AM
What about taking a guy like phillip merling, he's fairly big, and he can play both the run and the pass. He could also play end if when play with a four man front.

steelymcmatt
04-25-2008, 06:50 AM
What about taking a guy like phillip merling, he's fairly big, and he can play both the run and the pass. He could also play end if when play with a four man front.

Merling finally did a partial workout yesterday, but we didn't even send anyone. Not that THAT means anything, but it is interesting.....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/24/last-minute-workout-for-merling/

jjpro11
04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
regardless of what we do in the draft, i think our pass rush and sack total will be up next year with woodley starting and smith healthy. hopefully we can avoid injuries to our front 7.