PDA

View Full Version : Odell Thurman Officially Reinstated

CantStop85
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
NFL taps Thurman
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 21, 2008

Updated: 4 p.m.
The Bengals announced Monday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell informed the club middle linebacker Odell Thurman has been reinstated after a two-year exile for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"Odell has met the NFL's conditions for reinstatement and has been added to our offseason roster," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a press release. "It is now up to Odell to continue to meet all NFL guidelines, and to maintain a standard of personal responsibility that will allow him the chance to compete for a spot on our team."

It means Thurman will be on the field for the spring camps in May and June for the first time since Goodell suspended him for four games in July of 2006 for violations of the substance abuse policy.

Goodell turned it into the entire year two months later when Thurman was arrested Sept. 25 on a DUI. Then for reasons he didn't make public because of the policy's privacy guidelies, Goodell didn't reinstate him for the 2007 season.

Late this January, Thurman, 24, was allowed back into Paul Brown Stadium to work out. But he hasn't played in a game since 2005, when he emerged as a leading Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate with a team-high 148 tackles and four forced fumbles to go with five interceptions that led all rookies.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6734

The Duke
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
....super bowl anybody? :doh:

maybe he can actually help the bungals D. there is no doubt he's very talented, now he just has to show it

revefsreleets
04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Congratulations, Bengals! How messed up is your team when the best news you can generate is a doped out criminal who hasn't played for two years made it back onto your roster?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
People like him always screw up again.

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
welcome back odell thurman, the official designated driver of the cinncinatti bungles! :cheers:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
This just in, The Bengals still SUCK!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Just in time to "mentor"...some of the new draft picks.

You got to think the Bengals are drooling over CB Jack Ikegwuonu from Wisconsin who broke into an apartment to steal an X-Box...not an X-Box 360...but an X-Box.:doh:

tony hipchest
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
and in somewhat related news, david pollack finally retired.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
and in somewhat related news, david pollack finally retired.

What kind of nasty, voodoo-ridden, black-magic, noxious curse does your team have...when the only guality character guy you drafted in a 4 year span...breaks his neck and has to retire.:shake01:

What a shame. He could have been a special player.

revefsreleets
04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
What kind of nasty, voodoo-ridden, black-magic, noxious curse does your team have...when the only guality character guy you drafted in a 4 year span...breaks his neck and has to retire.:shake01:

What a shame. He could have been a special player.

That's one team where it is perfectly acceptable to refuse to play. "I got drafted by Cinci? No...uh uh...not gonna happen!"

CantStop85
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Pollack's NFL career likely over

Ex-UGA star hasn't fully recovered from 2006 neck injury

By JOSH KATZOWITZ
For the Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/22/08

Cincinnati – It appears that David Pollack's career in professional football is over.

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said this morning that Pollack told him more than a week ago that the former University of Georgia star, who suffered a fractured vertebrae in his neck during the 2006 season, probably won't play and that "I believe where he's headed is retirement."

"I think he's not completely comfortable with where he is medically," Lewis said. "Although he has been given an opportunity and release to play football, I think there's a lot to this guy. We know the quality of the person.

"He has such a bright future no matter what he chooses to do. We're proceeding in the fashion that he's not going to be part of this football team. He spoke to me well over a week ago and that's where things are headed. It's been a tough, tough decision for he and his family."

The Shiloh High School product has worked, in recent months, with potential NFL draft picks at a training facility in the Cincinnati suburbs, and Lewis said a career in coaching is a possibility for Pollack.
Good luck to David...hate to see him go, but I think he made the right decision.

Preacher
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Good luck to David...hate to see him go, but I think he made the right decision.

Bringing the guy back to do a little coaching and instilling some character...

Now that would be a smart, character type move.

revefsreleets
04-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Bringing the guy back to do a little coaching and instilling some character...

Now that would be a smart, character type move.

Which, being the Bengals, means it will never ever ever happen.

Rhee Rhee
04-25-2008, 01:23 AM
well i'm actually glad for odell thurman... being suspended for two years? thats harsh... very harsh...

but then agan he plays for the bengals and probably deserved it...

Galax Steeler
04-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Cincinnati the jail capitol of the world.

Elvis
04-25-2008, 06:36 PM
:applaudit:I just hope that he learned his less cantstop85.. he has a lot of talent to just waste like that. Good luck to the guy, and I hope he has his life straightened out now..

RoethlisBURGHer
04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I am lad Pollack retired, I would have hated for him to come back and end up paralyzed.

As for Thurman, it sounds like one parking ticket and he'll go the way of former Bunghole Chris Henry.

Maybe the Bengals are finally gonna clean up their act. I can understand giving Thurman another chance with how bad that defense is, especially if the Bengals are giving him that "one screw up and your gone, so don't unpack your bags just yet" treatment.