PDA

View Full Version : Teen could have made bomb in minutes, police say

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/21/school.bomb.plot/index.html

(CNN) -- A South Carolina high school senior arrested in an alleged bomb plot had the ingredients to assemble a bomb in minutes, police said Monday.

Ryan Schallenberger, 18, is cooperating with the bomb plot investigation, police say.

Ryan Schallenberger, 18, was arrested Saturday after his parents called police when 10 pounds of ammonium nitrate, an oxidizing agent in explosives, was delivered to their home in Chesterfield, near the North Carolina border, Chief Randall Lear of the Chesterfield Police Department said.

Chesterfield County Sheriff Sam Parker said the ammonium nitrate was purchased on eBay.

Lear said the teen hadn't built a complete bomb but had appropriate materials so that "it would be a matter of just minutes to put something together."

Most of the ingredients were common household items, the chief said.

Parker said Schallenberger, who was assigned a lawyer in an initial court appearance on Monday, is cooperating with the investigation. The teen told authorities he had experimented with explosives in the past, Parker said.

"He seemed to hate the world. He hated people different from him -- the rich boys with good-looking girlfriends," The Associated Press quoted Lear as saying.

The teen planned to make several bombs to detonate at Chesterfield in what Schallenberger called a "Columbine followup" in his journal, Lear said.

The police chief said Schallenberger's journal revealed his sympathies for the two teenage gunmen who carried out the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado. Those shootings left 15 people dead, including the shooters.

But, Lear said, the South Carolina teen made it clear that he didn't want to "copycat" Columbine. He planned out in detail -- down to the costs of the bomb supplies -- his plans for multiple explosions at the school, Lear said.

He even recorded an audiotape meant to be heard after he attacked the school and killed himself, though he had not set a date for his plans, Lear said.

Police searched the area around Schallenberger's home for additional supplies and weapons. No guns were found in the home, Lear said.

"I don't have any doubt that he was going to carry it out," Lear said. "On the surface, he was one thing, and in his writing, he was something else."

Police interviews with family and friends painted Schallenberger as a handsome, social student with ambitions for college. "He was not what you would call a loner," Lear said.

But the police chief told Lear said investigators aren't aware of any accomplices.

Scott Radkin, the principal of Chesterfield High School, said Schallenberger is among the top students in the senior class, according to an AP report.

The Duke
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
how to fix this ......

"He seemed to hate the world. He hated people different from him -- the rich boys with good-looking girlfriends," The Associated Press quoted Lear as saying.

when.....

Police interviews with family and friends painted Schallenberger as a handsome, social student with ambitions for college. "He was not what you would call a loner," Lear said.

the guy shows no signs of being a crazy people hater yet he's willing to kill hundreds of others, and quite possibly himself. how the hell is anyone supposed to help this people if at first glance they seem just like your regular HS student

The teen planned to make several bombs to detonate at Chesterfield in what Schallenberger called a "Columbine followup" in his journal, Lear said.

now that is just sick. sympathy? for murderers, really? I guess this is the problem with keeping your feelings inside of you while being an instable person, especially if you're a teenager

Preacher
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM
mark my words... it is only going to get worse.

We have so devalued life that murders get to blame others for their crimes, mental illness is an excuse (sorry, if your mental ill enough to murder, then you are a danger to society to much greater degree than a normal person and should be treated as such). We have dehuminized babies by calling them fetus' until they magically pop out of the womb... and then tell old people that they can kill themselves because life isn't precious. Oh yeah, and while we are at it... your just an animal with opposing thumbs that has an ability to add 2+2.

really... is anyone truly suprised? and if you are.. . what did you REALLY think would happen when we tell them that life isn't worth living?

beSteelmyheart
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
With the increasing occurrances of this sort of behavior I wonder if there is any way to research any connection to pharmecutical drugs...Paxil, Prozac, etc etc...
Any articles I have looked at don't mention much, if anything at all. It would be very interesting if someone could find out some solid info about this.

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 10:24 PM

We have so devalued life that murders get to blame others for their crimes, mental illness is an excuse (sorry, if your mental ill enough to murder, then you are a danger to society to much greater degree than a normal person and should be treated as such). We have dehuminized babies by calling them fetus' until they magically pop out of the womb... and then tell old people that they can kill themselves because life isn't precious. Oh yeah, and while we are at it... your just an animal with opposing thumbs that has an ability to add 2+2.

really... is anyone truly suprised? and if you are.. . what did you REALLY think would happen when we tell them that life isn't worth living?

Please don't bring religion in to this Preacher.

Preacher
04-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Please don't bring religion in to this Preacher.

I am bringing reality into this Jeremy.

When we destroy the sanctity of life... regardless of whether you (general you... not specifically you--Jeremy) believe it came from God, or by Aliens, you set up society for this type of thing. Not wanting to talk about it is simply burying the head in the ground.

GBMelBlount
04-22-2008, 07:45 AM

The only thing being preached here is common sense.

steelwall
04-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Got that right.... Agreed...

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, the kid got busted by his parents right? So golf clap for them for being on the ball and not turning a total blind eye. clap clap clap.

Now the kid should be sent to GITMO and tried as a terrorist. He is after all, a terrorist, regardless of whether or not he's a religious terrorist, his plan involved true terror, so he should be sent down to Cuba to be imprissoned. That alone would be a great punishment. Treat these "kids" who, in another life could have been soldiers in our Armed Forces, like the MEN they are. 18 is not a child. 18 is a voter, a driver, a soldier. He is nothing more than a terrorist who luckily didn't have an organization to lean on in order to pull of his grand plot.

Why would he want to do this? Who cares, he's crazy and should be put in prison. I don't care if he was "medicated" or "disturbed" or "mentally unstable" Lock him up and throw the key away.

Of coarse, I would also suggest maybe, guys like this should be given the following option:

1. Go to jail

2. Go to Afghanistan, with a rifle, and 1 month worth of rations, fight the Taliban, and find Osama Bin Laden, and we may consider calling you a hero later on in life. That's your choice.

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
this also ties into the gun control laws, his target, was a "soft target".

Had he planned this against a police station or a military post at least I'd give him credit for "being brave" about it, instead his cowardly arse was going to attack a building full of un-armed students. Fcking Coward.

stlrtruck
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
2. Go to Afghanistan, with a rifle, and 1 month worth of rations, fight the Taliban, and find Osama Bin Laden, and we may consider calling you a hero later on in life. That's your choice.

Problem is he'd get to Afghaistan and fight for about a day, MAYBE, then he'd join the taliban and when he finally gets off the US radar, he'd bomb another "soft target" but this time he'd have the backing of a group to help him pull it off.

So I go for option 1 - Jail, and GITMO doesn't sound that bad or how about we renovate Alcatraz.

Jeremy
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM

If sense were common, everyone would have it.

Meaning that what makes sense to one group of people doesn't make sense to another group of people.

Preacher
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Meaning that what makes sense to one group of people doesn't make sense to another group of people.

Your right... and from a philosophical point of view, is the danger of multiculturalism.

There MUST be one overarching cultural norm in each country, whether it is European, African, Asian, whatever. That way, COMMON sense becomes common. What has happened in America, is that we have accepted every culture and those cultures VALUES as equal. Thus, any new and contrived culture is also accepted as equal, even if their values are dialectically opposed.

I am not advocating hegemony, however, I am advocating an understanding of a foundational culture in this country, that common sense may again rule the day.

GBMelBlount
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Are you saying because something is common it can only mean "everyone would have it?"